Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freedom or LRS  (Read 1518 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Freedom or LRS
« on: April 30, 2020, 11:13:05 AM »

I'm planning to get a new windshield and wonder what experiences anyone has had with Freedom and Long Ride Shields (LRS).  Over the years I've had many different windshields including Freedom but never LRS.  The Freedom I had on my 2018 was the wider touring style which is also offered by LRS. 

So if you've had experience with both these shields I'd like your opinion. 

Hopefully this won't morph into an oil thread, lol.   :P

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Freedom or LRS
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 11:26:42 AM »

I refuse to use oil on my windshield.   ;D

Have tried several brands of shields over the years on my Ultras.  Have been happiest with Freedom.  Am using the wider touring style now on my bike & like it better than the old slimmer width shields.  John at Freedom has been a great help in deciding & always offers to take the shield back - if protective plastic is still on it - if I am not satisfied.  Have never done this but it does give peace of mind.   
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 11:59:12 AM »

I refuse to use oil on my windshield.   ;D

Have tried several brands of shields over the years on my Ultras.  Have been happiest with Freedom.  Am using the wider touring style now on my bike & like it better than the old slimmer width shields.  John at Freedom has been a great help in deciding & always offers to take the shield back - if protective plastic is still on it - if I am not satisfied.  Have never done this but it does give peace of mind.
I only use full synthetic oil on my windshield.   :D

I too like Freedom shields.  They are way thicker than stock and are a bit less costly than LRS.  But I'd like to explore the pros and cons.  Thanks for your response.

IBA member # 45520

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 12:09:45 PM »

I too like Freedom shields.  They are way thicker than stock and are a bit less costly than LRS.  But I'd like to explore the pros and cons.  Thanks for your response.

;D

Good to get more info on brands. After a ride I spray water on the shield & leave it for a few minutes to soften up the bugs.  Most every ride since I live in a buggy jungle state.  Have treated other brands the same way - spray water & then wipe with a microfiber towel.  Freedom does not seem to scratch as easily as the other brands.  If I used that windshield synthetic oil the bugs would just slide away without sticking.....   ;D

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 01:04:27 PM »

i think you meant 'more' costly?

i used to recommend lrs.  simply for the fact that bang for the buck they couldn't be beat.  but, they've since sold and the new owners have seriously raised their prices.  you used to could pick up an lrs for less than $75 shipped.  very rarely now.

not to mention that the lrs that i bought for the new roadglide had a less than stellar fit.

nah, my next shield will be a freedom.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Mofo67

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 04:33:27 PM »

I have not used a Freedom shield but have owned several from LRS. Like mentioned before they are good shields and before the company sold they were a very good value. On my ‘17 CVO RG I ran a LRS and really liked it. I then ordered one for my ‘18 RGS, it took almost a month to arrive and they actually refunded my money and still sent the shield. I then moved it to my ‘19 CVO RG and continued to enjoy it.
Both the shields on the Batwing and Road Glide were used about 10k miles and showed minimal wear when I removed them. Lastly I bought one from a member on the HD forum for my ‘19 CVO SG, the fit is horrible. You can put it on the bike but it’s slightly to narrow on the outer holes. It’s difficult to install and makes the fairing show gaps. Reminder I bought it used so who knows.
I too am planning to check our Freedom shields once I settle on a seat. Also thinking about going back to Memphis Shades, really liked them about 6-7 years ago.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 04:44:52 PM »

Have you considered F4 windshields or Clearview?  Both have been great to deal with and deliver a quality product.   Last month purchased 2 windshields from F4 very pleased with them.   I have been using them since 2010.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 05:51:06 PM »

As everyone has stated, can't go wrong with Clearview or Freedom.  John left Clearview and started Freedom.  Have had both.  Use to buy Clearview bless at a savings.  Have a Freedom now.

I just know the junk Harley stock shield that came on my 14 was so optically distorted it was sad on a $40K bike.

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 05:56:50 PM »

I have 2 freedom shields.  One for around town and one for travel...

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 06:15:53 PM »

im using a clear view now on my RG  :2vrolijk_21:  have run a freedom good product just didnt work for my BSR. have also used LRS good value but scratched easily and thin compared to the other brands
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 02:32:25 PM »

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.  I've had Clearview windshields on other bikes and while I don't recall any particular negatives about the I do think the Freedom windshields are thicker and I kind of like the look of John's wider touring model vs the one from Clearview.  And John gives the CVO discount so I've decided to stick with Freedom.  I was happy with the previous one and know I'll be pleased with this one on my new ride.

IBA member # 45520

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 02:38:57 PM »

Good decision!   :2vrolijk_21:

A couple of Clearview shields I had years ago were scratched up badly.  Same type riding & the Freedom shields have been much better in that regard.

Anything out there - almost - is better than stock HD.

bigC

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE gone
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHXSE sold
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 07:29:58 PM »

I have used LRS on my last several bikes, I liked their Mega Curve because it was a Polycarbonate shield. But like several have said, they were sold and now they don't have the sales that they did in the past. I just recently bought a Freedom shield from John, and got the CVOharley discount. I decided on their Touring Style. I don't have enough miles on it yet, to see how I going to like it compare to LRS.
Maggie Valley 2016     MITM ES 2017   WV GTG 2018 
Maggie valley 2017     MITM ES 2018   WV GTG 2021
Maggie Valley 2018     MITM ES 2019   OH GTG 2022
Maggie Valley 2019
Maggie Valley 2022
Maggie Valley 2023

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2020, 01:43:12 PM »

I put a LRS on my ROAD GLIDE a few years ago. The fit is great and was not bad to install. I imagine it will probably be my last bike/shield as not sure how much longer I'll be riding, and it won't fit an Indian .  ;D   :oops:   :nixweiss:

Mike

:drink: 
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.