Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has this happened to you? help me  (Read 1238 times)

arteta2k

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AK

Has this happened to you? help me
« on: May 03, 2020, 04:02:56 AM »

Today I run up the shop to get a few odds & sods. When I fired her up it run as normal around 1300rpm and slowly came down to 9/950rpm. I went about 3mi to the shop and shut it down a 1/2hr later I came out straight it up (it fired strait a way) the idol was all over the place (Hunting) also popping back though the intake. I gave it some throttle only a little and it raced high, now I didn't shut it down thinking it wouldn't start again. I rode off with it still popping bake though the intake and hunting I got about 200yards and it cleared up. I got home and restarted it up it was fine normal.
Is this something that can happen now and then and not to be concerned about? or could it be a tel-tel sign of a pending fault that may occur?
Have you had it happen?

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
Re: Has this happened to you? help me
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 08:20:31 AM »

Today I run up the shop to get a few odds & sods. When I fired her up it run as normal around 1300rpm and slowly came down to 9/950rpm. I went about 3mi to the shop and shut it down a 1/2hr later I came out straight it up (it fired strait a way) the idol was all over the place (Hunting) also popping back though the intake. I gave it some throttle only a little and it raced high, now I didn't shut it down thinking it wouldn't start again. I rode off with it still popping bake though the intake and hunting I got about 200yards and it cleared up. I got home and restarted it up it was fine normal.
Is this something that can happen now and then and not to be concerned about? or could it be a tel-tel sign of a pending fault that may occur?
Have you had it happen?
Year Make Model?

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 09:33:09 AM »

As crazy as it sounds it may have been the ECM with misinformation at start yp.
Especially if all you need to do is a shut down at a safe location wait a little bit and restart was back to normal.
Don't think that I would worry about it.
Unless it becomes a repeated issue.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 09:58:20 AM »

Could be a loose wire connection at the battery/ground or a loose connection at the ECM.  If it happens again that's where I would check first.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 10:09:13 AM »

It’s possessed. Trade it for a new one immediately.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 01:21:11 PM »

Had something similar reported fairly often when Harley first went to the electronic throttle control.  If you shut the bike down with the throttle grip not fully closed, it would throw off the idle setting on the next start and cause all sorts of problems.  After some tweaking of the programming in those early days, I don't remember anyone complaining about that issue since.  What model and year bike are you riding?

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 09:17:30 AM »

As stated, there were issues that would arise on the earlier TBW bikes (thinking 2008 or so) and it could be corrected by cycling the IGN switch in a specific sequence.  I'm at work so I don't have the actual sequence in front of me, but somebody knows. 

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 11:25:06 AM »

I had a similar issue with my '08 SERK with a Power Commander.  Ended up unplugging it and the problem went away.  Got a new one under warranty and that one worked until I got rid of the bike.

As everyone else has asked, what year/model etc?
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 24 queries.