Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Passenger Grab Rail 2014 and up  (Read 5507 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Passenger Grab Rail 2014 and up
« on: September 27, 2016, 10:07:08 PM »

Anyone with an CVO Limited tried to fit passenger grab rail p/n 52400090?  It is for Rushmore models but moco states it will not fit FLHTKSE models with original equipment seat.  Like to know for sure before I order.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ATGuinness

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra Burgundy Blaze / Typhoon Maroon
Re: Passenger Grab Rail 2014 and up
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 08:09:35 PM »

Anyone with an CVO Limited tried to fit passenger grab rail p/n 52400090?  It is for Rushmore models but moco states it will not fit FLHTKSE models with original equipment seat.  Like to know for sure before I order.   :2vrolijk_21:

Jerry, I'll preface this by assuming there have been no major changes in the seat or its mounting position between the '15 RGU and your '17 Limited.  I tried to install this grab rail on my '15 RGU and the stock unit will not fit. It sits about 5/8" (If I remember correctly.) too far to the rear to fit into the recess in the seat pan that appears to be designed to accommodate a grab rail.  That being said, it CAN be modified by drilling new mounting holes in the rail to move it forward.  It's not an ideal solution, but it does work.

If it's something you think you want to fuss with, I'll be happy to pop my seat off and send you pix and measurements.
The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.   – Robert Heinlein

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 06:57:42 PM »

Jerry, I'll preface this by assuming there have been no major changes in the seat or its mounting position between the '15 RGU and your '17 Limited.  I tried to install this grab rail on my '15 RGU and the stock unit will not fit. It sits about 5/8" (If I remember correctly.) too far to the rear to fit into the recess in the seat pan that appears to be designed to accommodate a grab rail.  That being said, it CAN be modified by drilling new mounting holes in the rail to move it forward.  It's not an ideal solution, but it does work.

If it's something you think you want to fuss with, I'll be happy to pop my seat off and send you pix and measurements.
Looked at one on a friend's 2016 non-CVO Limited sitting next to mine.  My seat looks to be much wider and if a grab rail were wide enough to fit the seat it would be so wide that the saddlebag lids would not clear it and wouldn't open.  Am I correct? 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ATGuinness

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 08:30:35 PM »

Looked at one on a friend's 2016 non-CVO Limited sitting next to mine.  My seat looks to be much wider and if a grab rail were wide enough to fit the seat it would be so wide that the saddlebag lids would not clear it and wouldn't open.  Am I correct?

Nope.  Lack of lid clearance would have made the entire grab rail installation a non-starter, but it hasn't been an issue for me.  The saddlebags open and close just fine. 

If you're worried about clearance on your bike, I'd suggest you do a dry fit, first.  Buy the grab rail, pull your seat and check to be sure the rail fits in the recesses on the seat pan.  If the rail fits, remove the backrest mount and its attaching bolts, then position the grab rail on the seat and reinstall the seat.  With the seat installed and the grab rail fitted into the seat pan recesses you should be able to easily check the clearance for your saddlebag lids.  If you're happy with the fit, you can continue with modifying the rail and finish the installation.  If you're not, put the rail back in the box and return it to your dealer.  One additional observation:  the hand rail covers fit this grab rail.  I pulled them off my '09 and put them on the new rail with no difficulty.
The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.   – Robert Heinlein

DCB

• MO

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE Ultra Limited 128HP/139TQ
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 07:41:47 PM »

Today I put grab rails on my 2017 CVO Limited. They were the ones that I had on the non-CVO 2012 Limited that I traded in. Bolted up the same. Seats were the same width. (snug fit) Bag lids open fine.

ATGuinness

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 09:30:55 PM »

Today I put grab rails on my 2017 CVO Limited. They were the ones that I had on the non-CVO 2012 Limited that I traded in. Bolted up the same. Seats were the same width. (snug fit) Bag lids open fine.

Happy to hear it!  What was the part number on the rail you installed?

DCB

• MO

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE Ultra Limited 128HP/139TQ
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 01:24:39 PM »

The part number of the grab rails that I transferred from my non-CVO Limited is 97026-09 "but" I certainly would not want to lead anyone astray. I understand that you can easily void your warranty with the use of unauthorized parts.  :P

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 07:58:59 PM »

I have not found a set to fit 2014 CVO Limited. Nobody making one that fits under the seat. Kuryakyn included
Will

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 07:59:33 PM »

Been looking and asking for two years
Will

LV76

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLTRUSE traded in
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE traded in
    • CVO3: 16 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 06:58:21 AM »

Gentlemen,
The newer style HD grab rail fits 2015-2016 CVO Road Glides, I have installed a chrome version on a friends 15 FLTRUSE and I installed the black version on my 16, What I did find is the cut out in the seat pan in the OEM seats does not align with the grab rail arms where welded to the mounting bracket, you can install the OEM seat without modification but you have to apply alot of force to the push the back of the seat down and to the rear to get the seat tab over the threaded stud to fasten the seat to the fender, but in a short time period the rivit that attaches the chome tab to the plastic seat pan will pull out and detach from the seat pan (don't ask me how I know - but I dd get a new seat under warranty)
The easy fix I did to modify the pan for the proper fit was to remove the existing 1/4" staples 4-5 per side hat hold the seat cover to the pan in the   
area of the notch that is susposed to clear the grab rail/mounting bracket, pull the cover out of the way and I used a dremel tool with a sprial carving bit to cut and extend the notch forward about 3/4", vacumed out all the cuttings and reattached the cover with new staples utilizing a hand stapler.
Reinstalled seat and it now attaches to the fender like the rail was never installed.

ATGuinness

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 06:07:56 AM »

LV, you came up with a clever solution to this problem.  It never occurred to me to modify the seat pan.  I think I'll revisit the installation on my bike this winter, as well as taking another look at my thought processes next time I encounter a situation like this.  Nicely done.

Kclarke

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • LA

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 04:42:49 PM »

When you put the Grab Rails on you 2017 CVO Limited. You said snug. Are they squeezing the seat any or just up against the seat? Can you post some close up pics.
Fullsac 2.0 CVO Power Core
Fullsac Header
Heavy Breather
Screaming Eagle Tuner
Screaming Eagle Auto Tuner
Torque Cam
Torque Cam

Ghostrunner

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 04:44:44 PM »

LV, you came up with a clever solution to this problem.  It never occurred to me to modify the seat pan.  I think I'll revisit the installation on my bike this winter, as well as taking another look at my thought processes next time I encounter a situation like this.  Nicely done.

Like to see some pics of this mod. Great idea to solve the problem

Zubaugh

• Bob @ Deals Gap
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2019, 11:52:57 AM »

Gentlemen,
The newer style HD grab rail fits 2015-2016 CVO Road Glides, I have installed a chrome version on a friends 15 FLTRUSE and I installed the black version on my 16, What I did find is the cut out in the seat pan in the OEM seats does not align with the grab rail arms where welded to the mounting bracket, you can install the OEM seat without modification but you have to apply alot of force to the push the back of the seat down and to the rear to get the seat tab over the threaded stud to fasten the seat to the fender, but in a short time period the rivit that attaches the chome tab to the plastic seat pan will pull out and detach from the seat pan (don't ask me how I know - but I dd get a new seat under warranty)
The easy fix I did to modify the pan for the proper fit was to remove the existing 1/4" staples 4-5 per side hat hold the seat cover to the pan in the   
area of the notch that is susposed to clear the grab rail/mounting bracket, pull the cover out of the way and I used a dremel tool with a sprial carving bit to cut and extend the notch forward about 3/4", vacumed out all the cuttings and reattached the cover with new staples utilizing a hand stapler.
Reinstalled seat and it now attaches to the fender like the rail was never installed.

I tried this on my 2018 CVO Limited and the threaded stud was 1/2" from the fender.  I cut the notch 1" but that did not resolve the fit.  It maybe  because of the seat width.  Not sure but I am going to try and figure where the problem is.
18 CVO Limited Anniversary

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2019, 06:33:57 PM »

I put them on the 2016 Limited we had. I also had the driver back rest. These two units were not designed to go together. I had to do some minor metal modifications to make them fit up. It was easy and looked great. However the wife really did not care for it or use it. It served me best as an anchor point for luggage when I travel solo. I do not know what the model part numbers where.

Good luck 
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 25 queries.