Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Dyna is dead in MY'2018  (Read 7912 times)

FXDFSE

Dyna is dead in MY'2018
« on: July 15, 2017, 11:34:50 PM »

Do you think HD will kill dyna models this August?  I heard they have a new cruiser platform combining dyna, softail and VRod models using the 107 and optional 114 with LED headlights.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Dyna is dead in MY'2018
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 12:50:54 AM »

Do you think HD will kill dyna models this August? I heard they have a new cruiser platform combining dyna, softail and VRod models using the 107 and optional 114 with LED headlights.

From who?   If someone unknown to everyone else with what level of confidence is the info taken (by you)?

This is the stuff that made the Pool Boy roll over in his grave and and just die to be resurrected and help us again.

FXDFSE

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 01:20:04 AM »

Time will tell.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 06:45:07 AM »

That's the buzz in Milwaukee.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 08:33:35 AM »

From who?   If someone unknown to everyone else with what level of confidence is the info taken (by you)?

This is the stuff that made the Pool Boy roll over in his grave and and just die to be resurrected and help us again.

Yes. He used to have a better deal on chlorine, too. The rumors of the Dyna death have been around for several years.  So far has been like Willie Nelson's new song "Still Not Dead"  -  I woke up still not dead again today.....   But eventually, it happens.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 09:37:32 AM »

I think that would be a bad decision.   the dyna serves a perfect niche.  bigger than a sportster, cheaper than a softail, and smaller (and cheaper) than the touring platform.  if they were to get rid of it, there would be a huge hole there. 

and how do you combine the big twin and revolution platforms?  that doesn't make any sense to me.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 10:04:26 AM »

I think that would be a bad decision.   the dyna serves a perfect niche.  bigger than a sportster, cheaper than a softail, and smaller (and cheaper) than the touring platform.  if they were to get rid of it, there would be a huge hole there. 

and how do you combine the big twin and revolution platforms?  that doesn't make any sense to me.
I agree.

My thought on the revolution platform is that the V-Rod would get an M8.
2023 CVO Road Glide

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 01:28:16 PM »

The same rumors were swirling around earlier this year about the V-Rod being axed.  It would make more sense to ditch the V-Rod rather than the entire Dyna family but repurpose the Revolution motor into a completely new touring machine (daydreaming again).  The article posted here the other day said something about 50 new models in the next 5 years...so if they get rid of an entire family then the 10 new models a year would be spread across the Street, Sporster, V-Rod, Softail, and Touring families.  Assuming they would not expand the V-Rod family, and probably limited in what else can be done in the Street and Sportster families, that would mean 10 new models a year for 5 straight years among the Softail and Touring families and that would be very hard to pull off.  But then again what the hell do I know...I'm just  looking forward to seeing the new models.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:50:04 PM by SIKBIRD »

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 10:29:28 PM »

So who did you hear this from? A unsavy salesman trying to convince you to buy a Dyna while you still can? Or Who?

ultrarider123

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 06:57:22 AM »

So who did you hear this from? A unsavy salesman trying to convince you to buy a Dyna while you still can? Or Who?

Don, that's where my thoughts were heading, too.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 07:34:02 AM »

My question is why does everyone need to know from who?

I am fully aware of who I was talking to about this and their ability to have first hand knowledge. This isn't all new to me. You don't spend 8 days in Milwaukee and not pry a little when given the opportunity. I sure spent a lot of time in those corporate owned buildings talking motorcycles..... a lot more free flowing information than I expected.  :2vrolijk_21:
2023 CVO Road Glide

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 08:43:43 AM »

It would be a shame to just eliminate the Dyna, but the number cruncher types tend to just look at sales figures and blow off the fact that not every motorcycle buyer wants a 900 plus pound touring bike.

IMHO, as I've stated many times before, they don't need to eliminate the Dyna, they need to redesign and update the model.  They've been using the same frame since Moses roamed the wilderness, kind of like what they did for 30 years with the Touring line before 2009.  People have changed in size and shape, the bikes have not.  The same applies to the Softails btw.  Different paint schemes and minor styling differences no longer work, it's time for a fresh and clean sheet of paper there as well.

I think about a lot of things in terms of the automotive business, and one thing you see in that world is that trucks and SUV's generate most of the profits but you don't see the manufacturers eliminating the small and medium sized cars with the small profit margins.  There's a very good reason they don't, and Harley needs to understand that.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 08:52:02 AM »

My question is why does everyone need to know from who?

Mostly because we get baseless claims from people all the time, claiming inside information that is either totally made up by them or just BS they were told and are passing along.  Kind of like the anonymous sources our media love to claim these days when trying to slant the news.

The OP just dumped a bomb with no attribution, so it's not unreasonable for people to ask about his source.  In your case you at least mentioned hearing things when you visited H-D in Milwaukee.  But companies have been known to float / leak information in the past to disguise what their real plans are, so I never take anything I read third hand as gospel.  When I can actually see it and touch it, I start to believe.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 09:22:41 AM »

But companies have been known to float / leak information in the past to disguise what their real plans are, so I never take anything I read third hand as gospel.  When I can actually see it and touch it, I start to believe.

Jerry

I thought about the floating of misinformation. Definitely not gospel.
2023 CVO Road Glide

J.D.

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 02:32:24 PM »

The VRod is the bike that really doesn't make sense to me in the current portfolio of models.  I've said for years a VRod engine in a bagger might make sense, but the M83 was introduced.  With that done, supporting the VRod engine platform makes less sense.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.