Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Riding Habits  (Read 4733 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Riding Habits
« on: March 28, 2007, 11:22:47 AM »

In the past couple of months I've been giving a lot of thought to things like good brakes, suspension, making more HP, etc.  I've had a couple of close calls lately in traffic with panic stop situations, the latest being this past Sunday on the Vrod which has excellent brakes (Brembos).  I consider myself to be a pretty good driver, both on the bike and in the car.  I consciously try and stay focused and look for avenues of escape when approaching potentially bad situations.  I've also got out in empty parking lots and practiced swerving, panic type braking, etc.  Not nearly enough, but I have at least done it a bit.  I think I need to do it more, and with my passenger on the bike as well, as that changes things a great deal, and would also allow her to get a better feel for what's happening when those situations arise where we have to all but lock the brakes up or make sudden changes in direction.

The problem I am experiencing though is more related to following distance behind other vehicles.  I live in a fairly large city...not by some standards, but there is a lot of traffic at times. I am finding it almost impossible to maintain what I consider to be a safe distance from the car in front of me...it is all but impossible to do so on the interstate, as someone will simply fill the gap you have created between yourself and the vehicle in front of you.  But I'm finding this to be the case, even on the state highways and other secondary roads.  If I leave a gap, someone tries to get in there!!  Even at speeds of 40mph, it takes several feet to stop one of our bikes.  I don't ride around like some grandpa, but I don't fly around like a sport bike rider might either....OK...maybe I do sometimes, but I reserve those time for when I have a clear line of sight.

Anticipating other people's behavior in their vehicle is something I find impossible NOT to do...you have to make assumptions about people not doing stupid, unexpected things to some extent.  I think I make the assumption that most people are going to do what is expected of them by others. Therein lies the flaw in my logic, I think...people do stupid things: not signaling, following too closely, not paying attention to what they are doing, much less those around them...you all know the drill.

What, if anything, do you guys/gals do?  How many here find that drivers seem to be getting worse and worse?  Or am I just getting old and more concerned about it?  Or is it just a matter of odds:  the more miles you ride/drive, the more likely you will be in situations with stupid people?  If there is some specific behaviors I can learn and incorporate into my riding style, I want to hear about them.  TIA...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
Re: Riding Habits
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 11:36:33 AM »

I feel your pain.  Drivers sure don't cut you any slack for being on a bike.  I've experienced the same thing - you leave a gap and someone shoots into it.  You know that you don't need to ride a bike as aggressively as you might drive a car, but feel like you almost have to in order to stay in the flow of traffic.  I don't have any answers, but it does seem to be getting worse instead of getting better.  I notice a lot of folks on cell phones and others just not paying much attention to their driving.  It seems that to stay alive you have to ride like everyone is out to get you.  I sure like headin' out of the city a lot more than I enjoy headin' in.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 11:55:30 AM »

What, if anything, do you guys/gals do?  How many here find that drivers seem to be getting worse and worse?  Or am I just getting old and more concerned about it?  Or is it just a matter of odds:  the more miles you ride/drive, the more likely you will be in situations with stupid people?  If there is some specific behaviors I can learn and incorporate into my riding style, I want to hear about them.  TIA...
I think it's a lot of combinations... More drivers, and more distractions for drivers while they are behind the wheel, we are getting older and appreciate/respect life more. I can remember the first bike I owned back when I was in my twenty's I did burnouts, and wheelies constantly. Now that I'm older most I'll get is a bunny hop when I change gears or little chirp from the rear wheel breaking traction on speed shift. I think as you mature you have more respect for life and treat it that way when you know you are putting yourself in vulnerable situations.

For keeping the safe distance between you and the other vehicles around you it is hard to maintain when traffic is heavy and I do try to keep it. However I'm more concerned about the driver being to close behind me then I'm with the one that has got into my space ahead of me. I can slow down and regain that space for the vehicle in front of me, but the one behind me are they paying attention or are they being distracted by something in the car.  If I have to stop are they going to be able to stop w/o running me over? :nervous:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 12:52:56 PM »

Well, I'm sure I'll get hell again for this one, but here we go. I try to maintain a good overall picture of everything in front of me and try to put that picture behind me. I always try to be ahead of everything and be faster than anything behind me. I'll keep above the pace so I'm out in front of all the idiots! I'm always striving to be ahead of the cages. I do find myself constantly going fast as there always seems to be another cage ahead of you in NYC! Riding fast keeps my mind sharp, focused and prepared as best I can. It's fun too! I don't think I'm the poster boy for the MSF though! ;) Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 12:54:54 PM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 12:53:37 PM »

I think it's a lot of combinations... More drivers, and more distractions for drivers while they are behind the wheel, we are getting older and appreciate/respect life more. I can remember the first bike I owned back when I was in my twenty's I did burnouts, and wheelies constantly. Now that I'm older most I'll get is a bunny hop when I change gears or little chirp from the rear wheel breaking traction on speed shift. I think as you mature you have more respect for life and treat it that way when you know you are putting yourself in vulnerable situations.

For keeping the safe distance between you and the other vehicles around you it is hard to maintain when traffic is heavy and I do try to keep it. However I'm more concerned about the driver being to close behind me then I'm with the one that has got into my space ahead of me. I can slow down and regain that space for the vehicle in front of me, but the one behind me are they paying attention or are they being distracted by something in the car.  If I have to stop are they going to be able to stop w/o running me over? :nervous:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Good points, Gary...I don't do a lot of things now that I would have done 25 or 30 years ago.  I don't recover as quickly from those things any more... ;)

On interstates, it's a bit easier for me to have a better line of sight and watch what's happening 5 or 6 cars ahead or more, and get out from behind or beside someone who is driving erratically.  In some ways, the secondary arteries are worse...you get behind some big a$$ed SUV or Pickup, can't see what's ahead of them, somebody is on your a$$...you're just caught between a rock and a hard place (pun intended).  I'm sure you see the results of distracted drivers more than most of us in your line of work.  There's probably no good answer or solution, but it's sure got me thinking more about things I can do to improve the behavior of my bike and also what I can do to become a better driver.

Think I'll make myself a promise...get in that empty parking lot or on that empty road at least once a month and really practice a few things for 30 minutes or so...it's got to help program my old brain cells just a bit.

TTS Mastertune

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 01:57:45 PM »

Terry this is an excellent question and one we all should pay more attention to.  And it is a significant part of the MSF Basic Rider Course and is covered in detail in the Street Strategies section.  The recommendations are:  2 second minimum following distance; 4 second immediate path (when quick reaction is needed); and 12 second anticipated path (where you can play those "what if" games about what other drivers, pedistrians, etc, may or may not do).  Of course at 60 mph you cannot maintain that 2 second minimum following distance if traffic is heavy - that would equate to 188 feet (about 10 car lengths).  Ain't gonna happen as you pointed out.  Someone will jump in and fill that void. 

I don't have an answer except what you and others have said, be alert, practice the what if game, sharpen your swerving and braking skill by continuous practice. 

Personally I hate to ride in town for this very reason.  I only do city street riding as required to get myself out of town and on the highway.  I don't ever ride my bike to work because of the heavy traffic flow.  Just not worth the risk imo.

Regards

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 02:08:28 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

d00d, how do you pass the HBRR test that way? ::) Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 02:17:38 PM »

d00d, how do you pass the HBRR test that way? ::) Hoist! 8)
You don't have the HP that the HBRR's do in their bikes and dump the clutch from stand still. You asking for something to break doing that. :nervous: They like to go WFO but from a roll on. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 02:19:34 PM »

Heads up if & when you ride to Ky (Hoist). We have no shoulders. If you run off the road, you're in a ditch. That ditch can be anywhere from 2' deep to 120' deep. Typical drivers (me included and you won't read this in a driving manual) here drive towards the center of the road and ease over to the right when they cross blind spots like hills and curves. And watch for deer and dogs. There was a local rider killed yesterday by a dog running out in front of them. Best to not ride on county roads after dark if at all possible. I missed a deer last year by this much ---><---.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 02:23:56 PM »

You don't have the HP that the HBRR's do in their bikes and dump the clutch from stand still. You asking for something to break doing that. :nervous: They like to go WFO but from a roll on. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

So you agree with me. Riding that way, you'll be sure to keep everything behind you! I don't do wheelies or hole shots. Never did, never will. I like my bikes too much. I just like riding fast and pushing curves! ;) Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 02:33:45 PM »

Heads up if & when you ride to Ky (Hoist). We have no shoulders. If you run off the road, you're in a ditch. That ditch can be anywhere from 2' deep to 120' deep. Typical drivers (me included and you won't read this in a driving manual) here drive towards the center of the road and ease over to the right when they cross blind spots like hills and curves. And watch for deer and dogs. There was a local rider killed yesterday by a dog running out in front of them. Best to not ride on county roads after dark if at all possible. I missed a deer last year by this much ---><---.

I've hit one too once. Upstate NY, dog ran out of the gate right in front of me and clipped my engine guard. Poor thing went tumbling. I pulled over to see if he was OK and he got up and ran right back inside his gate. Luckily I didn't go down. But KY can't be any different than many rural areas. Things are what they are, and we all do what we do. I do my best and keep my machines in tip top shape; safe and reliable. I try to make sure that I'm always doing everything I can to be in control of my situation and my bike. My responsibilty! I can only control what's within my control. Never ride beyond your limitations. Other than that, I don't worry about what's beyond my control. Things always seem to happen for a reason. One day we all wake up dead. I'm not up to that yet, nor do I want to be! ;) Hoist! 8)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 04:41:38 PM »

There's probably no good answer or solution, but it's sure got me thinking more about things I can do to improve the behavior of my bike and also what I can do to become a better driver.

Think I'll make myself a promise...get in that empty parking lot or on that empty road at least once a month and really practice a few things for 30 minutes or so...it's got to help program my old brain cells just a bit.

I practice turns, etc. on an empty parking lot occasionally and plan to add braking/evasive maneuvers next time out.  I find practicing helps me focus on whatever it is I am working on and with no car traffic equaling no distractions, it is time well spent.

A friend is considering an advanced rider course - something I have never done - might consider it.

On your first post re:today's drivers.  Agreed-they are worse today than ever.  Cell phones, GPS, lots of distractions to keep the folks in cages focused on everything BUT the road and other vehicles.  I tend to give scoots more room/respect and try to be as aware as possible when I am in a cage (50k miles or so per year usually).  Not sure what we can do to make the cagers more aware - seems like we lose another rider almost every year now from folks we know and most of them are not at fault - hit by a car.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 05:29:46 PM »

I practice turns, etc. on an empty parking lot occasionally and plan to add braking/evasive maneuvers next time out.  I find practicing helps me focus on whatever it is I am working on and with no car traffic equaling no distractions, it is time well spent.

A friend is considering an advanced rider course - something I have never done - might consider it.On your first post re:today's drivers.  Agreed-they are worse today than ever.  Cell phones, GPS, lots of distractions to keep the folks in cages focused on everything BUT the road and other vehicles.  I tend to give scoots more room/respect and try to be as aware as possible when I am in a cage (50k miles or so per year usually).  Not sure what we can do to make the cagers more aware - seems like we lose another rider almost every year now from folks we know and most of them are not at fault - hit by a car.
This is one of the best things I have done. Learned a lot. I only went along with my wife who has only been riding for three years and I thought I knew all the maneuvers. After 25yrs of ridding boy was I wrong. Seven hrs of obstacles/scenarios you could never think of. A lot of vans pulling out in front of you or them slamming on brakes. HOG will reimburse you the fee if you pass. Would highly recommend to all.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 05:57:29 PM »

This is one of the best things I have done. Learned a lot. I only went along with my wife who has only been riding for three years and I thought I knew all the maneuvers. After 25yrs of ridding boy was I wrong. Seven hrs of obstacles/scenarios you could never think of. A lot of vans pulling out in front of you or them slamming on brakes. HOG will reimburse you the fee if you pass. Would highly recommend to all.

Sky...this was real world riding for this course?  Even if it was a closed course, it would be invaluable experience.  MSF Advanced Safety Course, right?

TTS Mastertune

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 06:58:05 PM »

Sky...this was real world riding for this course?  Even if it was a closed course, it would be invaluable experience.  MSF Advanced Safety Course, right?
Yes, Riders edge advanced course.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 07:32:08 PM »

Concur,
The MSF Advanced Rider's Course is a great course to take...it brushes you back up on the skills you already know and probably will give you a few you've forgotten or didn't know.  One thing I always do when I'm riding, is practice "counter-steering"; the most effective obstacle avoidance technique you can use at any speed.  This has saved my hide a couple of times now, when the unexpected jumps out infront of you, or the idiot in the cage on a side street lookes right at you and pulls out in front of you.  Being seen is the biggest defense you have as a rider.   I always expect the cage driver to do the unexpected.  When I pull up behind on the driver's side of a cage I look in their rear view mirror on the door to see if I can see them looking in the mirror...(this doesn't work well at night, obviously).  If I don't see them looking, I know they don't see me.   I've gone with the attitude that I'm invisible, so I drive with the attitude that they don't see me and try to expect the unexected from them, such as knowing that a cage driver will inevitably attempt to occupy the same space I'm in on the road at the same time.  My wife actually prefers to ride with me on the bike more then she does in the truck because she says I'm a much more defensive driver on the bike...and she's right.  I practice my riding skills daily on the road...constantly run scenarios through my brain and look for avenues of escape...I try to give myself as much of a fighting chance as possible no matter what road I'm on.   As we get older, we get more wary.  You can never be too prepared....
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
 :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 07:44:11 PM »

Terry,
Okay, so now you know why I want that REALLY LOUD HORN... ;).  I ride to work in the stress-free capitol of our great country.  I've had so many near misses caused by inattentive drivers I've lost count.  I practice at least once a month.  I take an advanced riders course every other year (these are great, by the way).  Like Howie, I'll probably get in trouble here, but one of the things in my area that seems to be causing us "older" riders problems are the younger riders on sport bikes.  Whether in "packs" or alone, they seem to be trying to impress anyone that will take notice.  For example, this past weekend - great weather, lots of bikes out (I'm still recovering from the surgery, so I'm in the cage).  Wife and I stop at a traffic light at a major (3 lanes each direction, plus double turn lanes.  There's a rider on a sport bike across the intersection from us.  I watch him slide to the side of his seat and "check his six".  I told the wife that he'd go through the intersection on the rear wheel.  She said no (silly girl).  Light changed and guess who was right.  So wingnut heads down the street on his rear wheel and here comes a car in from the merge lane (which happens to be behind an earthen mound.  Imagine the rider's surprise :oops:.
All I'm saying here is that I feel the sport bike guys (and gals) aren't helping motorcyclists gain any respect from the folks we share the road with.
Okay, I'm done. :soapbox:
Tony

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 08:19:08 PM »

Guy across the street teaches motorcycle safety - I will check to see if it's Riders Edge.  Believe he said his advanced course was 4 hours though. We teach the Rider's Edge basic course to all our new HOG road captains currently for group riding skills, etc.

HOG will reimburse as well - icing on the cake!  Sounds like it was a good time investment for you.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 11:26:55 PM by iskifreely »

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 11:23:25 PM »

I agree with keeping your skills sharp and practice is essential. I for one as a MSF Rider Coach practice all of the exercises prior to Demonstrating them to a group of riders. You would be amazed how much you can improve you riding skills with a 7 hour MSF ERC (Experianced Rider Course)

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

• CVO1: 2012 SE7 (10/15/11)
    • CVO2: 2007 UC-110 SE
    • CVO3: 1965 FLH
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 12:06:20 AM »

Out here in California I have discovered a curious thing. Weather I am in the truck or on the bike, drivers seem to emulate what is around them. If I ride close to someons bumper the surrounding traffic and vehicle behind me rides close. If I leave the recommended 2 seconds the cars follow suit. At first I thought this was a fluke, so I, practised it over and over.

It is like that personal space psychology game, find someone's personal space and you can lead them around or push them back just by manipulating their personal space.

Sure there is the occasional jerk that is passing everything on the road, but for the most part the above works for me in California city and highway.

I do not follow close.................. On the highway I ride in the #1 or passing lane( safest lane against merging vehicles) until a mile or so before my exit. Same thing in the city, the left lane is the safest, less cars coming in and out, no one pulling in from a drive or side street etc. If I need to go right I move over a block or so before and go slow all the way until the turn.

ALL 100% of the times I have gone down was my fault! I was either racing or playing around. Play with the Bull and you will get the horn!

Try giving the 2 second rule a real chance you might be surprised. Again, I ride with the flow of lane #1 if traffic is going 65 I am going 65 if 80 I am doing 80. This might not work in the middle or slow lanes, I don't ride in them I would not know. The right lane is bad but the middle lane is real suicide. Most main city streets out here are 3 lanes each side.

You can't put the Genie back in the bottle....

Best Regards.

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 12:14:10 AM »

HOG will reimburse as well - icing on the cake!  Sounds like it was a good time investment for you.

I believe the HOG reimbursement is $50.00 and some insurance companies give good discounts if you submit your certificate.. 

Even with out these bonuses, It is an excellent thing to do. 2 of my regular riding buddies teach. I could tell you some stories :)

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 01:48:17 AM »

Must leave following distance, yeah they will fill it, but don't let their actions affect your plan. Plan your ride, ride your plan. I know in urban area's this is tough, but not as tough as Physical Therapy. Remember, that following distance isn't just for the car in front of you, but also your out if the guy in back is a lil slow in reacting to a braking situation due to cell phone/radio/magazine etc. I have a brake modulator, 3 quick flashes before full brake solid lights. I have reflective decals on the bike and helmets. Finally, I ride a bike people can't help but notice -  :pumpkin: ;D
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 05:46:59 AM »

I know in urban area's this is tough, but not as tough as Physical Therapy.

You said a mouth full there!!!!!  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 05:49:07 AM by SJPZZZ »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007, 06:29:51 AM »

I believe the HOG reimbursement is $50.00 and some insurance companies give good discounts if you submit your certificate.. 

Even with out these bonuses, It is an excellent thing to do. 2 of my regular riding buddies teach. I could tell you some stories :)

I have been riding since I was 15 - like a lot of other riders when I began I never had any course - just passed a motorcycle driver's test.  Riders Edge gets good reviews from everyone I have spoken to.  A good friend just took an advanced course and he said it was very helpful - he was already a very experienced rider.

Another thread to tell some of those stories you referred to would be an excellent idea.   "Bike Riding Horror Stories" is one I could contribute to - some new group riders, shall we say, pose unique challenges.  Then there are the poker run behaviors that just boggle the mind. ::)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 12:48:53 PM »

I have been riding since I was 15 - like a lot of other riders when I began I never had any course - just passed a motorcycle driver's test.  Riders Edge gets good reviews from everyone I have spoken to.  A good friend just took an advanced course and he said it was very helpful - he was already a very experienced rider.

Another thread to tell some of those stories you referred to would be an excellent idea.   "Bike Riding Horror Stories" is one I could contribute to - some new group riders, shall we say, pose unique challenges.  Then there are the poker run behaviors that just boggle the mind. ::)

Looking forward to your post when you get that thread started...... :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007, 01:15:32 PM »

Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule.  Don't worry about cars jumping in - if they crash they are protected.

Ride safe my friend

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007, 06:27:14 PM »

Right on w/ the two second rule. Not only do you have a chance to stop, you also have a chance to swerve and avoid that rusty muffler that appears from the between the tires of the vehicle in front. And, if the idiot behind me is too close, the two seconds may become three. My attitude is space, create it and live in it and always have an escape plan. There's just no one good place to ride in a lane. I'm constantly adjusting to vehicles and potential obstacles which can come from any direction. To identify those things my eyes are constantly moving. Ahead, mirrors, head check, ahead. I look for the little old blue haired ladies, the soccer moms on the phone, the idiot reading the paper or taking notes from his cell phone, the traffic warning / construction signs. There clues tell me where to be and what to be ready for. I don't pace beside vehicles and I don't follow trucks. Trucks drop things and I once saw a tire blow in front of my buddy. What a fricken mess that was and he was really lucky not to splash. Also, you just can't see through em. I also don't hang in the fast lane unless traffic's wall to wall. Not many pass me but I've been scared chitless several times by cars, including cops, that come out of nowhere and blow me away. I think a huge part of survival is mindset. I'm sure they're out to hurt me and it's a constant mental and physical exercise when in heavy traffic. Generally I even enjoy the challenge. I see survival in the traffic jungle as every bit challenging as the curves on 129 and though it's not as satisfying to get to work as to slay the dragon, I find satisfaction in a job well done when I arrive, invigorated and ready to go. Unfortunately, I have to go in to work instead of back out in it.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 08:05:00 AM »

I took a 200 mile trip yesterday just to run errands. I almost got run over three times.

The first time an old woman who appeared to be in her 70's turned left right in front of me. Luckily, I was watching and managed to slow down enough to miss her. Thinking this is going to hurt me more than it does you.

The second time an old man pulled right out in front of me. He had no idea I was there. Again, I managed to get slowed down enough to miss him. Good thing I've got the reflexes of a cat.

The third time I was pulling out of a parking lot close to an intersection where two four lane city highways meet. The light was red and traffic was stopped. I had to cross 4 lanes of traffic plus the turn lanes and there was nothing coming. I made it across the first two lanes and was in the turn lanes when I noticed a guy in a truck darting from all the way across the street. He was looking toward the red light for on-coming traffic and away from me. He turned the wheel directly for me. It all was happening so quick, I couldn't find the horn button, so I clutched it and raced the engine WFO (his window was down) I had already started turning away from him but he was still turning towards me, until he heard the V&H pipes. At the last second he saw me and turned away. Loud pipes saves lifes?

By the time this happened, I was wondering if someone was trying to tell me something. An hour later the skies opened up and it came a downpour. "Is this what will finally get me today?" I thought. Rest of the trip was uneventful. When you least expect it, it'll happen. It'll happen so fast, it's scary!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »

Looking forward to your post when you get that thread started...... :2vrolijk_21:

After what happened yesterday afternoon, started sooner than expected.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2007, 09:09:24 AM »

Took the experenced rdiers course a few years ago and for a s long as I've been riding I got something out of it.  Now I'm going to take the advanced riders course.  It's done at a local track at speed which I think will be a good.  And yes Hog will reimburse you with $50 worth of chrome buck if you take an MSF course.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2007, 10:16:49 AM »

I took a 200 mile trip yesterday just to run errands. I almost got run over three times.

The first time an old woman who appeared to be in her 70's turned left right in front of me. Luckily, I was watching and managed to slow down enough to miss her. Thinking this is going to hurt me more than it does you.

The second time an old man pulled right out in front of me. He had no idea I was there. Again, I managed to get slowed down enough to miss him. Good thing I've got the reflexes of a cat.

The third time I was pulling out of a parking lot close to an intersection where two four lane city highways meet. The light was red and traffic was stopped. I had to cross 4 lanes of traffic plus the turn lanes and there was nothing coming. I made it across the first two lanes and was in the turn lanes when I noticed a guy in a truck darting from all the way across the street. He was looking toward the red light for on-coming traffic and away from me. He turned the wheel directly for me. It all was happening so quick, I couldn't find the horn button, so I clutched it and raced the engine WFO (his window was down) I had already started turning away from him but he was still turning towards me, until he heard the V&H pipes. At the last second he saw me and turned away. Loud pipes saves lifes?

By the time this happened, I was wondering if someone was trying to tell me something. An hour later the skies opened up and it came a downpour. "Is this what will finally get me today?" I thought. Rest of the trip was uneventful. When you least expect it, it'll happen. It'll happen so fast, it's scary!

It is a good thing we always wear boots..... It keeps that stuff running down our legs off the chrome  :huepfenlol2:

What a day!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 12:15:46 PM by SJPZZZ »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2007, 11:53:51 AM »

Yes they are! They're trying to tell you that the only way to ride is your knowing that everyone out there is trying to kill you. You ride like that, you can be sure your always at your sharpest. Expeience and practice along with 100% alertness, will help you be able to predict as much as possible, what's gonna happen, instead of reacting to it. Other than that, chit happens. Your job is to avoid being in the middle of the chit! ;) Hoist! 8)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2007, 12:06:56 PM »

Yes they are! They're trying to tell you that the only way to ride is your knowing that everyone out there is trying to kill you. You ride like that, you can be sure your always at your sharpest. Expeience and practice along with 100% alertness, will help you be able to predict as much as possible, what's gonna happen, instead of reacting to it. Other than that, chit happens. Your job is to avoid being in the middle of the chit! ;) Hoist! 8)

I can see me in the hospital with broken arms and legs, in traction and say, OH Well, Chit happens.

For sure have to always be alert and drive defensively.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2007, 12:39:37 PM »

I can see me in the hospital with broken arms and legs, in traction and say, OH Well, Chit happens.

Don't qoute me out of context Ken. The rest of that was the important part. "Chit happens. Your job is to avoid being in the middle of the chit!" was the complete statement! ;) Hoist! 8)

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2007, 12:49:44 PM »

I was talking with one or my RC Instructors just now and April 13, I am doing a course, maybe they can teach this old dog a new few tricks, maybe a nose wheele  :huepfenlol2:, wooof wooof! :)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2007, 02:03:53 PM »

Don't qoute me out of context Ken. The rest of that was the important part. "Chit happens. Your job is to avoid being in the middle of the chit!" was the complete statement! ;) Hoist! 8)

I knew what ya meant hoist! I was just busting on ya. I am working, posting, and on the phone at the same time. LOL

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2007, 02:07:45 PM »

I knew what ya meant hoist! I was just busting on ya. I am working, posting, and on the phone at the same time. LOL

Yeah, but if I let you get away with that, who knows what's next. I thought you were one of them there Reporters, quoting out of context to sell more papers! I don't have much use for them! ;D Hoist! 8)

JesterDecor

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2007, 05:43:41 PM »

Looks like I need to check that your health/life ins is paid up  :P

I think what it was trying to tell ya that you forgot JesterDecor for good luck  ;D
I like shiny stuff!

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2007, 05:49:22 PM »

Looks like I need to check that your health/life ins is paid up  :P

I think what it was trying to tell ya that you forgot JesterDecor for good luck  ;D

It was raining! I knew you'd be hating life and me.

You of all people should know I'm worth more dead than alive.  ;)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2007, 05:56:17 PM »

Sad fact! I sleep with one eye open! :nixweiss: Hoist! 8)

JesterDecor

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2007, 05:56:59 PM »

RAINING???? (need I remind ya  bout Daytona and bein' tougher than you???) Sheesh..tweren't notta like the ride from G'ville by a LONG shot!

Worth more dead than alive?? Keep spending money on that bike and I'll prolly find that out *smirks*.... and if the will says anything bout being buried with the bike?? I promise that ain't gonna happen!!  ;)
I like shiny stuff!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2007, 05:58:20 PM »

This is friggin great! I gotta teach my wife this. Fighting online instead of at home! How come I never thougfht of that one! ;D Hoist! 8)

JesterDecor

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2007, 05:59:41 PM »

This is friggin great! I gotta teach my wife this. Fighting online instead of at home! How come I never thougfht of that one! ;D Hoist! 8)

Fighting?? We're from Kentucky...it's foreplay  :P
I like shiny stuff!

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2007, 06:00:34 PM »

Well, If die and you remarry and move another man in, I don't mind him having my gun collection, my recliner, or even my truck, BUT If I hear of him riding my scooter, I'll BE back!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2007, 06:01:07 PM »

Fighting?? We're from Kentucky...it's foreplay  :P

I can't believe you said that! I've been saying that for years!!! Awesome JD! :2vrolijk_21: Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2007, 06:02:27 PM »

Well, If die and you remarry and move another man in, I don't mind him having my gun collection, my recliner, or even my truck, BUT If I hear of him riding my scooter, I'll BE back!

F that HB, I'm getting the guns! He can't have them either. I'd offer to keep an eye on that Jester for ya, but it's a full dresser, ya know! ::) Hoist! 8)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2007, 06:03:56 PM »

Hoist, you can't have guns. Don't you have to go through a metal detector to get into NYC?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2007, 06:07:37 PM »

Hoist, you can't have guns. Don't you have to go through a metal detector to get into NYC?

Oh yeah, I forgot, they only let the criminals bring them in! Damn Liberals! ;) Hoist! 8)

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2007, 02:01:42 PM »

I rode with JC this weekend and he said my profile name SJPZZZ was not to easy to say or remember. So I have switched to my given and earned road name IronButt.

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2007, 09:53:25 PM »

maybe they can teach this old dog a new few tricks, maybe a nose wheele  :huepfenlol2:, wooof wooof! :)

Get a picture of that :huepfenjump3:
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 21 queries.