Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Freeway (Interstate) Safety  (Read 5336 times)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Re: Freeway (Interstate) Safety
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 02:05:00 AM »

Well Jim got the bike back together with an upgraded SE clutch and it's home where it belongs.  It's amazing how much you can jones for a bike!  Can't wait to ride this weekend!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 02:09:59 AM »

Well Jim got the bike back together with an upgraded SE clutch and it's home where it belongs.  It's amazing how much you can jones for a bike!  Can't wait to ride this weekend!

We hear you and we know, so glad to know you can be in the wind for the weekend. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2007, 08:44:23 AM »

Wow, sorry about that mess Ernie and glad everyone's OK. I just caught this. Still catching up. I think its unusual to spin a slpined clutch hub. It happened all the time with the keywayed shaft clutch hubs on older models. You're probably done by now. If not, it's a good time to think about a Baker King Kong or Rivera Pro Clutch! ;) It was nice finding such a helpful dealer too. Good luck Ernie! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2007, 12:43:48 PM »

Thanks Ernie for the safety reminder! Excellent thought to get everyone behind the guard rail and out of harms way. That would be a terrible thing to get yourself and others killed for ... a glove.
Wife and I were riding this past weekend and saw a bike pulled over on the side of the hiway ... I slowed down to ask if they were OK and they were looking for a Doo-Rag that the rider had come off.... lemme see they cost what $6.95??? Lesson learned.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2007, 09:47:10 PM »

I think Ernie has observed another hiway experience that he should share with us.  Ernie.......... was somebody dirt biking on a SEEG this weekend?  No need to mention names......the rider should remain anonymous even thow he's not a member of this site.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2007, 11:14:24 PM »

I think Ernie has observed another hiway experience that he should share with us.  Ernie.......... was somebody dirt biking on a SEEG this weekend?  No need to mention names......the rider should remain anonymous even thow he's not a member of this site.

You're killing me! 

I went on a "bachelor's ride" Saturday as my last organized ride as a single person.  We left San Jose in the morning and were on our way towards Jamestown.  We were doing 95-100 MPH on Route 120 and the road had a bend to the right.  The person on the bike in front of me (blue/black 04 SEEG) got distracted for a second and went off of the left side of the pavement onto the dirt/grass center divider.  I got on the brakes hard and watched in horror as he fought the bike.  Lucky for him, at this point in the road, the center divider is several hundred feet wide and relatively flat.  The back end of the bike was sliding back and forth about 5-6 feet and he just stayed off of the brakes and kept steering into the skids.  Again lucky for him, there wasn't any trees, rocks, ditches, holes, etc, in his path and somehow he managed to stay on the bike and bring it to a stop!  As he came to a halt, unfortunately he dropped the bike.

Total damage to the bike was several scuff marks that buffed out and a broken right lower fairing where the highway hit it.

He was very shaken but alive with a bike that is still in one piece.  I guess this proves that the SEEG is the ultimate road bike, dirt bike, 4 wheeler, etc.

We slowed down after that...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2007, 12:06:58 AM »

Which scooter was this on Ernie, the new one or the Blue burn-out motel parking lot special?  :nixweiss:

Glad to hear Cycle Center took care of you. Mike (Owner) and Jess (Svc Mgr) have really turned that place around the past two years as far as their services.

Glad you and the group were uninjured in the shoulder fiasco....880 is a death trap for sure, if you were on the "Numbnutz".

Joe
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 02:01:15 AM by CVOJOE »
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2007, 12:45:36 AM »

As a proffessional driver I see things on the side of the road all the time that scare me. Please remember if you are on the side of the road there are guys like me out there that routinely pull 12-14' wide loads in 11' lanes - that means we count on that shoulder for a little overhang as we do not want the overhang in the other travel lane.  Truckers are required by law to have reflective triangles on board and must have them on display within 5 minutes of stopping on a public road - they should be 50' 100' and 500' apart to hopefully get someones attention before coming upon something on the shoulder. I realize triangles are not practical on bikes but I think road flares would be and should be considered in cases like this. Also as stated above underpasses are bad bad bad - drivers won't see you in the shadows of an underpass til the last minute. The best position if possible is an on ramp - where cars are still coming up to speed - rather than an off ramp where many are still at highway speeds. Please be careful out there, the road is a very, very dangerous place to be.
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2007, 08:18:04 AM »

Ernie,
Thanks for sharing that story with us and giving us all a "wake-up call" about road safety.  All to often we take that for granted.  Glad to hear that you all came out of it safely.  I hope your friend, in no uncertain terms, realizes now that everything, except a human life, can be replaced, and not to sweat something as small as a glove when on the road. 

Strange breakdown too...I'm not the smartest guy on the block when it comes to knowing the internal bits of an HD motorcycle, but that sounds like a bizare failure...glad to hear that you're back on the road again.

Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2007, 08:34:47 AM »

... Truckers are required by law to have reflective triangles on board and must have them on display within 5 minutes of stopping on a public road - they should be 50' 100' and 500' apart ...

Terrific, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it.  Maybe one 50' or so back - that's about it, and most don't do anything.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2007, 08:36:50 AM »

... doing 95-100 MPH ... the bike in front of me (blue/black 04 SEEG) got distracted for a second and went off of the left side of the pavement onto the dirt/grass center divider.   ...  The back end of the bike was sliding back and forth about 5-6 feet and he just stayed off of the brakes and kept steering into the skids.  ... he managed to stay on the bike and bring it to a stop! 

Wow, great rider!

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2007, 09:02:39 AM »

hey Earniezap, thanks for the roadway caution....we can all use reminders of safety.  Glad you're back in the wind on that SEEG!  :2vrolijk_21: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2007, 10:35:05 AM »

As a practical matter flares don't work well.... Something to consider is one of the higher tech solutions. Turboflares are a great inexpensive solution. I have replaced all road flares in my patrol car fleet with them.. Run on AA batteries forever and very bright.  There are smaller solutions out there but not as effective
You can find them on ebay for like five bucks each.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2007, 11:23:03 AM »

As a practical matter flares don't work well.... Something to consider is one of the higher tech solutions. Turboflares are a great inexpensive solution. I have replaced all road flares in my patrol car fleet with them.. Run on AA batteries forever and very bright.  There are smaller solutions out there but not as effective
You can find them on ebay for like five bucks each.

:worthless: :worthless:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2007, 11:30:38 AM »

Ill post pix later
I'm on my crackberry in a briefing
www.turboflare360.com I think

Hose draggers tend to ooh and aaah when they see them
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.