Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: DoD Sticker on FLHRSEI2 - where??  (Read 8643 times)

Sean M Cary

DoD Sticker on FLHRSEI2 - where??
« on: April 11, 2008, 07:03:50 PM »

I need to mount a DoD sticker on the bike to get on base - and not going to do what I have seen some folks do, forks, fenders - all over the bike, would be blasphemous!

Found a few mounts that go on the caliper on line - 30 bucks or so - but was wondering what any of you running DoD sticker do.  Would love some pics!

I am leaning towards the brace going on the front of the frame and just a two inch piece of polished SS or AL...

Sean

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
Re: DoD Sticker on FLHRSEI2 - where??
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 07:38:01 PM »

I went to the fab shop on base, (AF Base, but I'll bet a marine could figure it out... :D  ), and had the kid there cut out a piece of that nice aluminum they make aircraft skin out of about 6-7" long, then I had him form it to the shape of the engine guard on one end, (so the long end was the right size for the three sticker set) and the curved end slipped/snapped over the engine guard.  then it kind of swiveled to the guard when I cruised the gate, gut the rest of the time it lays down against the lower fairing.  Then I had the kid polish it up real nice and bring it to his first sgt, and the first sgt sent him home for the day with a case of beer!  (damn I miss those days...  I felt like I was usefull! )   It looked kind of like a "J" with the bottom a bit over done...   I'd send you a pic, but I don't have it anymore.   
 I do, however, have a lasting memory of seeing him outside the chow hall with a handfull of his buddies showing off the part he made for the first shirts scooter and him getting all puffed up and proud lookin' when I came out and shot the chit with him for a while...
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

wenchal

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRU
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC - SOLD
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 10:07:03 PM »

Here is what I did – I bought the Harley chrome footpeg clamp – you can buy individually for about $10.00.  Then I took an inspection sticker plate – the thin metal version, put the DOD stickers on that.  Then mounted the clamp towards the bottom of the left side of the engine guard.  You can adjust to where it looks the best.   I had to put some washers in the middle to take up the slack and I bought a chrome bolt/nut just so it looked nice.  Then, it’s easy on easy off.  When I went through the gate I just pointed to the bottom of the engine guard with my foot and they waived me through!  You could take it a step further and cut the plate down to just the size of the sticker – or get something smaller.  But, with just the one bolt it was pretty easy to just take off for weekends then put back on for the work week. 

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 10:56:50 PM »

I went to a craft store and bought magnetic material (it comes in a sheet) just like what you to stick to your refrigerator and double sided taped the base sticker to it. I then trimmed it so you couldn't see the magnetic material. Then when I needed to go on base, I just stuck it to the left side of my front fender. After I got off base, I pulled over and took it off and stowed it. Worked great and didn't have to put a POS sticker ANYWHERE on my scoot!  :P :2vrolijk_21:

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 11:33:51 PM »

#3 gets my vote for the best idea and I don't even need a sticker  :2vrolijk_21:

As for the 1st two
 :worthless:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 12:03:43 AM »

great ideas, guys!  I would love to see a pic of the one Coolbreeze had, but.....sounds like that isn't gonna happen.  It is nice that the bases don't specify exactly where and how you have to mount the stickers.  I wish the DMV in our state was as un-specific.  At least it's not enforced very often.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 07:47:35 AM »

Brilliant!

I have the sticker mount (Kuryakyn i think) that I have on the left side of the fuel tak bolt.

/Bill

I went to a craft store and bought magnetic material (it comes in a sheet) just like what you to stick to your refrigerator and double sided taped the base sticker to it. I then trimmed it so you couldn't see the magnetic material. Then when I needed to go on base, I just stuck it to the left side of my front fender. After I got off base, I pulled over and took it off and stowed it. Worked great and didn't have to put a POS sticker ANYWHERE on my scoot!  :P :2vrolijk_21:
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 07:00:22 AM »

I love the idea of the magnet.  I have mine on the wind deflectors (Freedom wings) 

REGGAB

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 08:09:19 AM »

Stuck 'em on the downtubes.

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 08:23:30 AM »

Devil Dog,
I am in J-Ville too and I have one of mine mounted on the wind deflector on my SE Ultra
and I made a plate from a sheet of metal purchased at Lowes for my Street Bob and mounted
it down by the forward controls.
Lots of possibilities, just let your imagination run wild.
S/F,
TimBone

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 09:12:52 AM »

Stuck 'em on the downtubes.

Talking about like this Henry?

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 09:19:27 AM »

A long time ago, that bike was my first HD. And New Jersey had us putting inspection stickers on the tubes. I hated it, especially since the "inspectors" were picky about placing decals over one another. It was tough getting old ones off without using a razor blade  :o

In this picture I had started making changes to the bike, polished the caliper and had it chromed along with chroming just about everything else.

Left the sticker off until I got tired of the tickets.

So the next step was to pull the forks, have the reflector bosses ground off the the sliders (glad they don't make them like that anymore) and then getting them chromed.

No way I was going to clutter it up with that big sticker. So, I just made a bracket that bolted up behind the tube at caliper level, never got another ticket.

MV 2013

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 09:26:36 AM »

Hey Duane, that was a 'blast from the past'.  ;D har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 10:22:50 AM »

Hey Duane, that was a 'blast from the past'.  ;D har!  spyder

The bike with a "generator"  :nixweiss:

MV 2013

REGGAB

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 10:39:30 AM »

Talking about like this Henry?
  Nope.  That's a fork.  My decals are on my left frame downtube, somewhat hidden by the fairing lower.

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 10:51:07 AM »

Nope.  That's a fork.  My decals are on my left frame downtube, somewhat hidden by the fairing lower.

When I was in PA I struggled with the same crap-here in WA there is none of that $$ inspection $$ generating programs-s-hh-h-h-h-h-h-h! :coolblue:

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 12:24:03 AM »

I need to mount a DoD sticker on the bike to get on base - and not going to do what I have seen some folks do, forks, fenders - all over the bike, would be blasphemous!

Found a few mounts that go on the caliper on line - 30 bucks or so - but was wondering what any of you running DoD sticker do.  Would love some pics!

I am leaning towards the brace going on the front of the frame and just a two inch piece of polished SS or AL...

Sean

Sean,

I am active duty USAF and I know what you mean about the DoD sticker placement, and I put mind on the vented part of the lower on the left side.  Since I ride with the vents open 99% of the time the sticker is not visible, and when I drive onto base a flip the vent closed and it is displayed for the guard to see.  This is a FREE alternative and since it is on plastic it will be easier to get off of the bike when the time comes.

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

Sean M Cary

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 09:17:25 AM »

Think I'm gonna go the magnetic route, least intrusive and does not detract from the bike when I am not on base.  I made a lucite 2 x 6 or so for my KLR, and added it to the left fork where the reflector mounted, then I mounted the reflector to the lucite.  Works, but is still just a big ugly sticker...

Quantico does a smaller sticker then Camp Lejeune does - they had date stickers that mounted to my blue "zero" sticker and it had a much smaller foot print then the big honkin auto ones. 

Wish they did the same at Lejeune...

Sean

Sean M Cary

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 07:47:48 PM »

Here's what I ended up with...  More prominent then I would care, but crossing the gate at 0530 every morning the guard should have no issues seeing it...

Find out tomorrow morning.

Sean

REGGAB

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 11:42:48 PM »

Here's what I ended up with...  More prominent then I would care, but crossing the gate at 0530 every morning the guard should have no issues seeing it...

Find out tomorrow morning.

Sean

I've seen those plates.  Sharp edges.  Clumsy as I am, I'd slice myself open on that thing while trying to clean the motorcycle.  On previous motorcycles, made my own from scrap alloy and mounted between the downtubes and on the slant area in front of the battery box.  Didn't want to have a plate hanging off the machine this time, so like I mentioned in reply #8 this thread, this is what I did.  Works like a charm, and I don't bleed!   :2vrolijk_21:

Sean M Cary

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 07:26:26 AM »

I've seen those plates.  Sharp edges.  Clumsy as I am, I'd slice myself open on that thing while trying to clean the motorcycle.  On previous motorcycles, made my own from scrap alloy and mounted between the downtubes and on the slant area in front of the battery box.  Didn't want to have a plate hanging off the machine this time, so like I mentioned in reply #8 this thread, this is what I did.  Works like a charm, and I don't bleed!   :2vrolijk_21:

It is pretty sharp...and dumba$$ me didn't wait to put the sticker on before I mounted it, and it's all jacked and crooked.  If you mess with them too much, these things tear really easy.

Probably nobody will notice, but I do.

Sean

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 08:05:12 AM »

Sean
With this crowd??????  ::) har!  spyder

REGGAB

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 08:58:03 AM »

It is pretty sharp...and dumba$$ me didn't wait to put the sticker on before I mounted it, and it's all jacked and crooked.  If you mess with them too much, these things tear really easy.

Sean

Well, as long as it gets you on post, the purpose is served.
As an aside, does the USMC make you get into MOPP IV to get on post?  The Army makes us wear DOT/Snell headgear, long sleeves, over-the-ankle boots, full finger gloves, bright colored outerwear during the day and reflective outerwear during the night.  Probably a DoD requirement, but it really sucks having to don all that hot chit just to get on post.  I've often thought it is DoD's methodology to make us so miserable that we'll quit riding.   ;D  Like that's gonna happen.  Also, in addition to DD Form 2 series, we have to tote an MSF ERC card, which reasoning escapes me, since we never would have been issued post decals without an MSF ERC card in the first place.

REGGAB

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 09:02:21 AM »

Sean

Yessir......they do.  My Ft. Campbell decal is already jacked up as shown in the picture.  Happened during installation of my second oil cooler.  Redstone Arsenal doesn't issue post designation decals, so my Sportster has just a DoD decal and expiry decal.  I stuck those on the frame right below the triple tree.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 09:56:13 AM »

Well, as long as it gets you on post, the purpose is served.
As an aside, does the USMC make you get into MOPP IV to get on post?  The Army makes us wear DOT/Snell headgear, long sleeves, over-the-ankle boots, full finger gloves, bright colored outerwear during the day and reflective outerwear during the night.  Probably a DoD requirement, but it really sucks having to don all that hot chit just to get on post.  I've often thought it is DoD's methodology to make us so miserable that we'll quit riding.   ;D  Like that's gonna happen.  Also, in addition to DD Form 2 series, we have to tote an MSF ERC card, which reasoning escapes me, since we never would have been issued post decals without an MSF ERC card in the first place.

PPE = Long Sleeves, Vest during darkness, Bright Colored Shirt/jacket during daytime, boots over the ankle and long trousers - DOT helmet with ballistic eye protection or the FF shield...  And MSF card with endorsement on your Driv Lic...  I stick a copy in with my Reg/Insurance info.

Also, even OFF base if I get hurt not wearing PPE I am on the hook for medical expenses - 24/7...that is a DoD requirement that I just learned about last week during our Mandatory Safety Stand down/Operational Pause.

We just lost another Marine to a stupid accident Wednesday, brand new (that morning) MC doing a moving burnout, lost control and rode it into a Sherwin Williams paint store, building won. 

Folks continue to do stupid sh!t and the rest of us get the evil eye for being a MC rider.   :wall: :wall:

Sean

guentherb

• CVO1: 08 FXSTSSE Black
    • CVO2: 02 FLSTFI Black
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 03:13:39 PM »

I cut a 2x3" piece of stailess and bolted it to the the bracket at the top of the downtubes.  Usually had to point to it for the gate guards but it was easily removable for when I wasn't on base and didn't want it on my scooter. 

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 03:43:03 PM »

PPE = Long Sleeves, Vest during darkness, Bright Colored Shirt/jacket during daytime, boots over the ankle and long trousers - DOT helmet with ballistic eye protection or the FF shield...  And MSF card with endorsement on your Driv Lic...  I stick a copy in with my Reg/Insurance info.

Also, even OFF base if I get hurt not wearing PPE I am on the hook for medical expenses - 24/7...that is a DoD requirement that I just learned about last week during our Mandatory Safety Stand down/Operational Pause.
We just lost another Marine to a stupid accident Wednesday, brand new (that morning) MC doing a moving burnout, lost control and rode it into a Sherwin Williams paint store, building won. 

Folks continue to do stupid sh!t and the rest of us get the evil eye for being a MC rider.   :wall: :wall:

Sean

Sean that is actually a myth and urban legend that senior leaders ( like you and i) continue to perputuate. 

a Line of Duty investigation must be conducted in every case,,,,  and the investigator makes the determination to recommend LOD yes or LOD No in every case.

Ultimately, the decision belongs  ( i think) to the SCMCA (Special Court Martial Convening Authority)  no hard and fast rule..but more often than not..LOD yes...  even for DUI deaths.

This myth is perpetuated by the same guys that tell you you cant get a hearing disability any more..since DOD gives you earplugs

my safety guys when cornered will give you the honest answer... 

still yet..  I wear most of that chit all the time....  minus the dorky vest

Sean M Cary

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 07:10:14 PM »

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/605504p.pdf

E3.2.7. Requirements for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) are as follows:
E3.2.7.1. The following PPE is mandatory for all persons as listed in
paragraph 2.2. of the Instruction while operating or riding as a passenger on a
motorcycle or ATV.

E3.2.9. Failure to wear the PPE or comply with licensing or operator training
requirements may be considered in making line-of-duty determinations if the injury is
from such nonuse of PPE or noncompliance.

I went and did what I should have done already - found the order that pertains to this.  You are correct unless you are a II MEF Marine which is what I was speaking to...not DoD as I said (I stand corrected!) - I guess what LtGen Stalder the II MEF CG is now saying is that any II MEF Marine WILL be found non-compliant if they are in an accident and don't have PPE on.  This order is vague as to when/where in its reference.  I also have to fear all of the SNCO's and fellow Officers that have the ability to ticket me for stupid operator tricks - date/time and vehicle info and they submit on line and I get a court date for a ticket!

Sean

Sean that is actually a myth and urban legend that senior leaders ( like you and i) continue to perputuate. 

a Line of Duty investigation must be conducted in every case,,,,  and the investigator makes the determination to recommend LOD yes or LOD No in every case.

Ultimately, the decision belongs  ( i think) to the SCMCA (Special Court Martial Convening Authority)  no hard and fast rule..but more often than not..LOD yes...  even for DUI deaths.

This myth is perpetuated by the same guys that tell you you cant get a hearing disability any more..since DOD gives you earplugs

my safety guys when cornered will give you the honest answer... 

still yet..  I wear most of that chit all the time....  minus the dorky vest

dereck

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHXSE2.ORG

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Black Diamond
    • CVO2: sold FLHRSE3 Black Ice
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 09:59:20 PM »

Option #1.  I did that for awhile.  Except one time I forgot to take if off before reaching interstate speeds.  When I got home, no more sticker.

Option #2.  I fabricated a piece of sheet metal a little bigger than the sticker, drilled a hole in one corner, took out one of the bolts mounting the break calipers to the front forks, and threaded it back on through the hole.

Option #3.  I had a chrome heat shield to an old set exhaust that matches the contour of the upper fork.  Drilled a hole in each end and mounted it over the windshild mounting hardware.  I can always un-bolt it and take it off.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2008, 02:14:33 PM »

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/605504p.pdf

E3.2.7. Requirements for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) are as follows:
E3.2.7.1. The following PPE is mandatory for all persons as listed in
paragraph 2.2. of the Instruction while operating or riding as a passenger on a
motorcycle or ATV.

E3.2.9. Failure to wear the PPE or comply with licensing or operator training
requirements may be considered in making line-of-duty determinations if the injury is
from such nonuse of PPE or noncompliance.

I went and did what I should have done already - found the order that pertains to this.  You are correct unless you are a II MEF Marine which is what I was speaking to...not DoD as I said (I stand corrected!) - I guess what LtGen Stalder the II MEF CG is now saying is that any II MEF Marine WILL be found non-compliant if they are in an accident and don't have PPE on.  This order is vague as to when/where in its reference.  I also have to fear all of the SNCO's and fellow Officers that have the ability to ticket me for stupid operator tricks - date/time and vehicle info and they submit on line and I get a court date for a ticket!

Sean

No Worries marine..how do you think I figured it out?

and, with all due respect to CG II MEF, senior leaders will get themselves in legal cracks in a HUGE hurry by making blanking ALWAYS AND WILL blanket statements when it comes to legal chite.  I am well aware of how powerful they are ( and how powerful they think they are)

In every case..they are trying to to do what is right, get our your Soldiers Sailors Airmen and Marines to do the right thing and quit killing and injuring themselves in droves...    only problem I have with it is inaccurate and inappropriate threats

I personally confront Soldiers doing dumb chit on a regular basis....  and educate em....  as I am not a Commander currently, I don't have the power of NJP or UCMJ, but haven;t felt the need to use it either...  a gentle nudge in the right direction works in most cases .... no need to be so heavy handed on stuff like this.

just my opinion

« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 12:22:44 PM by cuthbertss »

REGGAB

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2008, 08:34:33 AM »

Registered the 02 FLHR on post this week.  They're issuing installation decals again.  Wish I could place these decals on my 06 SEUC like this, but the VIN decal is in the way.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2008, 08:41:48 AM »

Registered the 02 FLHR on post this week.  They're issuing installation decals again.  Wish I could place these decals on my 06 SEUC like this, but the VIN decal is in the way.

YEA, OFF TOPIC but,

Henry is that a Delphi machine or M&M?

:nixweiss: :nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

REGGAB

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2008, 08:46:26 AM »

YEA, OFF TOPIC but,

Henry is that a Delphi machine or M&M?

:nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Neither!  She's a carbureted Baby, and Chip.........I'm lovin' her.  Just like olden times.   :2vrolijk_21:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2008, 09:21:21 AM »

Neither!  She's a carbureted Baby, and Chip.........I'm lovin' her.  Just like olden times.   :2vrolijk_21:

Cool Henry!

I'm a Mikuni guy on a twin cam but I have a few stock carbs laying around if you ever need one or some parts.
And YES on an EVO there's noting better than a S&S!

:2vrolijk_21:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

REGGAB

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2008, 09:40:23 AM »

Cool Henry!

I'm a Mikuni guy on a twin cam but I have a few stock carbs laying around if you ever need one or some parts.
And YES on an EVO there's noting better than a S&S!

Thanks Chip.  Bike is running so good right now.  There's almost 13K on it now.  I don't know if anyone has been into the cam chest.......even though it pulls stronger than any TC88 I've ever ridden, but long about 18K, I'll start getting nervous.  Thinking about Wood's TW6 cams and gears.......and might go with one of Wood's carbs.  Cross that bridge when we get there.  Most likely it will remain an 88cid, since I'm perfectly happy with the power and torque it produces.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2008, 10:00:17 AM »

Thanks Chip.  Bike is running so good right now.  There's almost 13K on it now.  I don't know if anyone has been into the cam chest.......even though it pulls stronger than any TC88 I've ever ridden, but long about 18K, I'll start getting nervous.  Thinking about Wood's TW6 cams and gears.......and might go with one of Wood's carbs.  Cross that bridge when we get there.  Most likely it will remain an 88cid, since I'm perfectly happy with the power and torque it produces.
Hooo Boy, that's not gonna 'compute' with Chip.  :nervous: har!  spyder

REGGAB

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2008, 10:08:28 AM »

Hooo Boy, that's not gonna 'compute' with Chip.  :nervous: har!  spyder

Yeah, I know Spydy, and I know he'll counsel me accordingly.  9 times out of 10 I tend to listen to the big guy..........but he hasn't ridden this RK.  Sure, there's more to be had, but for what it is.......it is damn good.........and I'm confident Chip would agree.   :2vrolijk_21:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2008, 10:25:25 AM »

Yeah, I know Spydy, and I know he'll counsel me accordingly.  9 times out of 10 I tend to listen to the big guy..........but he hasn't ridden this RK.  Sure, there's more to be had, but for what it is.......it is damn good.........and I'm confident Chip would agree.    :2vrolijk_21:

Exactly Henry!
Sounds like the RK runs like my 03 Classic.
Hubbard use to swear there was no way that motor is stock.
But it was.
So Henry your right about checking the shoes and maybe adding gears but past that, ride that puppy!
It has many many good years of fun left in it.

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Jeepwatchman

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2008, 09:31:57 AM »

I cut out a thin piece of clear plastic, almost the thickness of something like a pop bottle, the same size as the sticker and then stuck the sticker on the plastic. 

Then I put double-sided foam sticky tape, the gray stuff meant for outdoors, on the back of the plastic and stuck the whole thing to the lower left side of my windshield on my Road King. 

It is easy to take off and move if need be because of the foam tape.  You can peel the whole thing off and move it somewhere else if you need to, or just leave it be.

Anyone that's tried to remove the DOD stickers knows they usually come off in little pieces.  This way you remove the plastic "plate" with the sticker attached.  Works for me and the gate guards! :bananarock:
Howard
USAF(Ret.)
2003 FLHRI
Iron Butt #26949
Patriot Guard Rider

Yoda

• Full CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Black Onyx, Heavy Breather, SE Slip Ons, HDRT, 10.5/1 pistons, 263E Cams
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2008, 04:06:36 PM »

I don't have a picture of my sticker plate, but it looks like one of the ones posted here, except it is mounted to the axle.  Not too obvious and it does the trick.  Not exactly where the "recommend" it to be placed, but screw them, I am NOT putting it on the chrome forks!

wichitagreg

• Greg's toys
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2008, 04:14:02 PM »

I used static clear material, like some forms of window tint, and stuck the stickers to the film, then applied that to my windshield.  Easily removed when not headed for post.  For a long time, I rarely rode on base.
2009 Ultra; 103 Kit; SE255 Cams, SE A/C; Stock Exhaust.  110 TQ and 82 HP.

REGGAB

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2009, 11:26:40 PM »

This is what I came up with for DoD decal placement on Thumper

Sean M Cary

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2009, 08:42:40 AM »

This is what I came up with for DoD decal placement on Thumper

not gonna catch a pant leg on that?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2009, 08:58:48 AM »

That appears to be tucked in behind that pipe enough not to.  :-\ spyder

REGGAB

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2009, 09:15:18 AM »

I think a dungaree wearing Sailor might.   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2:  Perhaps if I pull out, and can still fit into, my bellbottoms from the 70s, I might.   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2:

It's inboard and back far enough that there shouldn't be concern.   :2vrolijk_21:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2009, 03:16:43 PM »

Perhaps if I pull out, and can still fit into, my bellbottoms from the 70s, I might.   
If you do.....don't forget  :worthless:   har!  :drink: spyder

REGGAB

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2009, 03:32:09 PM »

If you do.....don't forget  :worthless:   har!  :drink: spyder

Mental image implantation:  ON

Napoleon Dynamite

Mental image implantation:  OFF
 :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2009, 05:19:14 PM »

Henry

No stickers on the fender!

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

REGGAB

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2009, 06:37:19 PM »

Henry

No stickers on the fender!

SBB

Nope, No way, No how, Not happenin', Not!  Once the purple bike comes home, I gotta get those oil slick eagle heads off the tank and bags.  That'll take at least an afternoon.
Not really fond of those DoD decals, but if I want to ride the of the bikes to work and need to get to a job site on Post, they're a necessary evil.......along with the over-the-top PPE required by DoD on Federal Installations.  Also makes it easier when traveling to other Federal Installations.  I'm not too pleased with the current location of Thump's DoD decals, but it will work.  Everywhere else I looked to put the decal plate just really jacked up the lines of the bike.  At least it isn't too visible where it is now.  Definitely not going on a brake caliper as the plate is designed.  I'd slice myself open repeatedly from the sharp edges every time I cleaned the bike.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2009, 09:20:28 PM »

Nope, No way, No how, Not happenin', Not!  Once the purple bike comes home, I gotta get those oil slick eagle heads off the tank and bags.  That'll take at least an afternoon.
Not really fond of those DoD decals, but if I want to ride the of the bikes to work and need to get to a job site on Post, they're a necessary evil.......along with the over-the-top PPE required by DoD on Federal Installations.  Also makes it easier when traveling to other Federal Installations.  I'm not too pleased with the current location of Thump's DoD decals, but it will work.  Everywhere else I looked to put the decal plate just really jacked up the lines of the bike.  At least it isn't too visible where it is now.  Definitely not going on a brake caliper as the plate is designed.  I'd slice myself open repeatedly from the sharp edges every time I cleaned the bike.

I like the one I ended up with - made one for my KLR out of 1/4 Lucite, used the reflector mount and put in the same place...left brake mount.

I'd be afraid of catching an ankle or calf where you have yours...but that is just the impression from the picture.  Might be tucked up better then I am imagining.

Sean

REGGAB

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2009, 09:37:22 PM »

I like the one I ended up with - made one for my KLR out of 1/4 Lucite, used the reflector mount and put in the same place...left brake mount.

I'd be afraid of catching an ankle or calf where you have yours...but that is just the impression from the picture.  Might be tucked up better then I am imagining.

Sean

Hopefully we'll get to meet this summer, Sean, and you can see it.  It is back in there pretty far.  I'm more concerned about catching that low corner on something and jamming the plate into the side cover.  Highly unlikely, but possible nonetheless.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 21 queries.