Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tour Pak Henge Brace  (Read 4023 times)

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
Tour Pak Henge Brace
« on: February 01, 2009, 02:10:25 AM »

I just caught an add in this months American Bagger Magazine for an eGlide Ultra Brace which replaces the stock flimsy cable with a scissor type hinge brace. I like the idea but not very excited about the price for the brace. Before I shell out the $80+ bucks with shipping thought i would ask here if anyone has tried this and what is your opinion. Does this thing work as stated in the add or is it a a pricey nickel plated whatever  :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

for those not familiar, here is the brace
www.eglidegoodies.com/id9.html

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Tour Pak Henge Brace
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 02:14:07 AM »

I just caught an add in this months American Bagger Magazine for an eGlide Ultra Brace which replaces the stock flimsy cable with a scissor type hinge brace. I like the idea but not very excited about the price for the brace. Before I shell out the $80+ bucks with shipping thought i would ask here if anyone has tried this and what is your opinion. Does this thing work as stated in the add or is it a a pricey nickel plated whatever  :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

for those not familiar, here is the brace
www.eglidegoodies.com/id9.html

From the look of it, I'm not convinced that's better than stock. Looks like it's from a cheapo folding table. You bend it, it'll never work properly again. Not a good enough improvement for me. How about a hydraulic one like on car trunks! That might be slick. Never saw one though yet! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 05:13:20 AM »

I saw that too and I was thinking with it just being at one end of the lid, that thing would end up bending and be a headache after a short time.  Could be wrong, but not willing to fork out the dough to find out.  I think I saw a hydraulic one, like on cars, somewhere also, but then I thought about the liftgate on my SUV.  It has one on each side. If I disconnected one, what would happen...I assume it wouldn't hold as well and would probably bend.  Admittedly, the tourpack lids are not that heavy, so one may well be enough to support it well.  I'm sticking with the idea that I posted a while back.  I tie a knot at one end of the cable and it shortens up the cable a bit and takes the pressure off the hinges and I don't seem to have any problems with the current system.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Where did I hear that before?

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 08:51:32 AM »

I've had my tour pack prop brace for over 2 years and wouldn't be without it.  Works as advertised.  Nice thing too is that you don't have to worry about the lid blowing back over either.  Sure it's high in price, but what isn't for our bikes.  If I thought price on everything I bought for my bike, it would still be stock.   Mine is on a chopped tourpack and is far better than that cheap flimsy MOCO cable that you always have to tuck in to close the lid.  Another item that should be standard on our bikes.     :soapbox:

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 09:16:30 AM »

I believe the big advantage to the cable is that your storage space is maximized, with the arm style you have to leave room for it to fold. Thay would be a bigger concern with the leather TP.

DaveL

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI Orange/Blk (sold)
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSEI Orange/Blk (stolen)
    • CVO3: 2011 FLTRUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 09:56:45 AM »

I used the eglide brace on my '00 for 4 years and it worked great.  Juts added one to my new '09 with good results I think - pics follow.   What I like best is it allows the lid to paise further than cable + best part it has a lock in place tab that takes a slight effort to engage, or not engage it if just getting in/out quick as it stays up without engaging too. 
I did find that the current ultra-pak does not have the flat indentation on lid like old ones where the brace mounts, made me think it would not mount well, EGlide assured me and they were right it did fit up nicely, just seemed offset when mounting.

DaveL

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 09:58:22 AM »

DaveL

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 09:59:32 AM »

DaveL

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 10:01:24 AM »

last

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 12:42:57 PM »

I've had my tour pack prop brace for over 2 years and wouldn't be without it.  Works as advertised.  Nice thing too is that you don't have to worry about the lid blowing back over either.  Sure it's high in price, but what isn't for our bikes.  If I thought price on everything I bought for my bike, it would still be stock.   Mine is on a chopped tourpack and is far better than that cheap flimsy MOCO cable that you always have to tuck in to close the lid.  Another item that should be standard on our bikes.     :soapbox:

Hey Bob, glad it works well for you.  I'm having a slow morning though.  So help me out.  Even though it works well what does it actually do that the cable doesn't?  Is it a solution for a problem we'd not realized we had or a solution to a problem that didn't really exist?  I never had a cable problem so just wondering what is being fixed or improved?

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 01:18:04 PM »

Hey Bob, glad it works well for you.  I'm having a slow morning though.  So help me out.  Even though it works well what does it actually do that the cable doesn't?  Is it a solution for a problem we'd not realized we had or a solution to a problem that didn't really exist?  I never had a cable problem so just wondering what is being fixed or improved?

Don-
The stock cable and brace do the same thing, just different.  As Eaglethumper stated, the lid will rise further and you never have to worry about the lid falling back down as the brace locks and holds the lid up, even with a bag on top.  I have had the pack full many times and folding the brace has not been an issue.

I also like the fact that you have 3 hinges instead of two with this hinge brace and the wobble factor is gone when the lid is raised.

I asked the same thing that SportyGordy asked in the 1st post several years ago.  A fellow member with a nanner responded that the brace worked and his bike was worth it.  Works for me too.  When something works good, you forgot you had it, which I did until this post.

The worse thing about this hinge/brace is that you have to purchase it from Electraglidegooodies.   

Bob

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 01:23:02 PM »

The worse thing about this hinge/brace is that you have to purchase it from Electraglidegooodies.   

Bob

Oy....  I remember them.  Bought something from them once a long time ago.  They were snotty bastards to talk to.

Page created in 0.557 seconds with 22 queries.