Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: DoD Sticker on FLHRSEI2 - where??  (Read 8682 times)

Sean M Cary

DoD Sticker on FLHRSEI2 - where??
« on: April 11, 2008, 07:03:50 PM »

I need to mount a DoD sticker on the bike to get on base - and not going to do what I have seen some folks do, forks, fenders - all over the bike, would be blasphemous!

Found a few mounts that go on the caliper on line - 30 bucks or so - but was wondering what any of you running DoD sticker do.  Would love some pics!

I am leaning towards the brace going on the front of the frame and just a two inch piece of polished SS or AL...

Sean

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
Re: DoD Sticker on FLHRSEI2 - where??
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 07:38:01 PM »

I went to the fab shop on base, (AF Base, but I'll bet a marine could figure it out... :D  ), and had the kid there cut out a piece of that nice aluminum they make aircraft skin out of about 6-7" long, then I had him form it to the shape of the engine guard on one end, (so the long end was the right size for the three sticker set) and the curved end slipped/snapped over the engine guard.  then it kind of swiveled to the guard when I cruised the gate, gut the rest of the time it lays down against the lower fairing.  Then I had the kid polish it up real nice and bring it to his first sgt, and the first sgt sent him home for the day with a case of beer!  (damn I miss those days...  I felt like I was usefull! )   It looked kind of like a "J" with the bottom a bit over done...   I'd send you a pic, but I don't have it anymore.   
 I do, however, have a lasting memory of seeing him outside the chow hall with a handfull of his buddies showing off the part he made for the first shirts scooter and him getting all puffed up and proud lookin' when I came out and shot the chit with him for a while...
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

wenchal

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRU
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC - SOLD
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 10:07:03 PM »

Here is what I did – I bought the Harley chrome footpeg clamp – you can buy individually for about $10.00.  Then I took an inspection sticker plate – the thin metal version, put the DOD stickers on that.  Then mounted the clamp towards the bottom of the left side of the engine guard.  You can adjust to where it looks the best.   I had to put some washers in the middle to take up the slack and I bought a chrome bolt/nut just so it looked nice.  Then, it’s easy on easy off.  When I went through the gate I just pointed to the bottom of the engine guard with my foot and they waived me through!  You could take it a step further and cut the plate down to just the size of the sticker – or get something smaller.  But, with just the one bolt it was pretty easy to just take off for weekends then put back on for the work week. 

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 10:56:50 PM »

I went to a craft store and bought magnetic material (it comes in a sheet) just like what you to stick to your refrigerator and double sided taped the base sticker to it. I then trimmed it so you couldn't see the magnetic material. Then when I needed to go on base, I just stuck it to the left side of my front fender. After I got off base, I pulled over and took it off and stowed it. Worked great and didn't have to put a POS sticker ANYWHERE on my scoot!  :P :2vrolijk_21:

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 11:33:51 PM »

#3 gets my vote for the best idea and I don't even need a sticker  :2vrolijk_21:

As for the 1st two
 :worthless:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 12:03:43 AM »

great ideas, guys!  I would love to see a pic of the one Coolbreeze had, but.....sounds like that isn't gonna happen.  It is nice that the bases don't specify exactly where and how you have to mount the stickers.  I wish the DMV in our state was as un-specific.  At least it's not enforced very often.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 07:47:35 AM »

Brilliant!

I have the sticker mount (Kuryakyn i think) that I have on the left side of the fuel tak bolt.

/Bill

I went to a craft store and bought magnetic material (it comes in a sheet) just like what you to stick to your refrigerator and double sided taped the base sticker to it. I then trimmed it so you couldn't see the magnetic material. Then when I needed to go on base, I just stuck it to the left side of my front fender. After I got off base, I pulled over and took it off and stowed it. Worked great and didn't have to put a POS sticker ANYWHERE on my scoot!  :P :2vrolijk_21:
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 07:00:22 AM »

I love the idea of the magnet.  I have mine on the wind deflectors (Freedom wings) 

REGGAB

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 08:09:19 AM »

Stuck 'em on the downtubes.

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 08:23:30 AM »

Devil Dog,
I am in J-Ville too and I have one of mine mounted on the wind deflector on my SE Ultra
and I made a plate from a sheet of metal purchased at Lowes for my Street Bob and mounted
it down by the forward controls.
Lots of possibilities, just let your imagination run wild.
S/F,
TimBone

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 09:12:52 AM »

Stuck 'em on the downtubes.

Talking about like this Henry?

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 09:19:27 AM »

A long time ago, that bike was my first HD. And New Jersey had us putting inspection stickers on the tubes. I hated it, especially since the "inspectors" were picky about placing decals over one another. It was tough getting old ones off without using a razor blade  :o

In this picture I had started making changes to the bike, polished the caliper and had it chromed along with chroming just about everything else.

Left the sticker off until I got tired of the tickets.

So the next step was to pull the forks, have the reflector bosses ground off the the sliders (glad they don't make them like that anymore) and then getting them chromed.

No way I was going to clutter it up with that big sticker. So, I just made a bracket that bolted up behind the tube at caliper level, never got another ticket.

MV 2013

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 09:26:36 AM »

Hey Duane, that was a 'blast from the past'.  ;D har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 10:22:50 AM »

Hey Duane, that was a 'blast from the past'.  ;D har!  spyder

The bike with a "generator"  :nixweiss:

MV 2013

REGGAB

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 10:39:30 AM »

Talking about like this Henry?
  Nope.  That's a fork.  My decals are on my left frame downtube, somewhat hidden by the fairing lower.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 22 queries.