Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Let's talk Trailers for a moment  (Read 12972 times)

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
Re: Let's talk Trailers for a moment
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2009, 10:58:46 AM »

Bike trailers are like car trailers, I have seen plenty of cars and trucks flipped due to trailers swaying. If you load the trailer correctly and make sure your equipment is in good shape ( tires, hitch, safety chain, lights, and brakes ), and you ride at a reasonable speed, you shouldn't have problems. I usualy check everything during gas and rest stops.
So far I have never had a problem towing with cage or bike. ( knock on wood! )
Mike
 :drink:

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2009, 11:03:43 AM »

Bike trailers are like car trailers, I have seen plenty of cars and trucks flipped due to trailers swaying. If you load the trailer correctly and make sure your equipment is in good shape ( tires, hitch, safety chain, lights, and brakes ), and you ride at a reasonable speed, you shouldn't have problems. I usualy check everything during gas and rest stops.
So far I have never had a problem towing with cage or bike. ( knock on wood! )
Mike
 :drink:

I second that, everything you do on a scoot needs a little preperation and thought. If you want to Half A.. it..........then you A.. may just be dragging the concrete.... Just sayin  :nixweiss:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2009, 08:09:14 PM »

It took me 4 years to decide to buy a trailer, and after all my research, I chose a Bushtec.
The main reasons, less dead weight (140 lbs), total capacity, 26 cu/ft, run flat tires,
swivel hitch, excellent paint, superb customer service. Is it the best trailer, I think not.
I do believe Tailwind is, but at $8k, I'm not a millionaire.
The "TAZMUN"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2009, 08:20:21 PM »

Is it the best trailer, I think not.  I do believe Tailwind is, but at $8k, I'm not a millionaire.

Tailwinds don't look right behind a Harley either.  Their styling is obviously done with a Wing in mind.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2009, 08:48:07 PM »

Tailwinds don't look right behind a Harley either.  Their styling is obviously done with a Wing in mind.

You are probably right, but I see a few on his website. I did say the best, not the "coolest".
Look at all the trailers people pull, and I don't think it's the worst!
The "TAZMUN"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2009, 09:48:44 PM »

You are probably right, but I see a few on his website. I did say the best, not the "coolest".
Look at all the trailers people pull, and I don't think it's the worst!

Amen to that.  Guy local in my area has an old 1200 Goldwing that always has a trailer behind it.  You could never tell what color the wing used to be or what the trailer might have actually looked like as they're both completely covered in bumper stickers and other stickers.  Might be all that's holding the trailer together.

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 02:28:23 PM »

My question is, why is it that HD will void your warranty if they find a trailer hitch on your bike?? The known facts on why, not assumptions. I cannot find this out. If it's weight then I know of alot of people that have voided there warranty just by themsleves and their passenger and I do not mean that is a sarcastic way. I'm trying to be factual here. But by the time you, the rider and a passenger along with your weekend gear strapped to your bike, some of us are exceeding the gross vehicle weight rating. If it is a weight issue then why does it not void it in this instance? I would just like to know the reason why they can void your warranty without an explanation? Maybe this is something else that needs to be addressed with them with representation.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 04:38:31 PM »

My question is, why is it that HD will void your warranty if they find a trailer hitch on your bike?? The known facts on why, not assumptions. I cannot find this out. If it's weight then I know of alot of people that have voided there warranty just by themsleves and their passenger and I do not mean that is a sarcastic way. I'm trying to be factual here. But by the time you, the rider and a passenger along with your weekend gear strapped to your bike, some of us are exceeding the gross vehicle weight rating. If it is a weight issue then why does it not void it in this instance? I would just like to know the reason why they can void your warranty without an explanation? Maybe this is something else that needs to be addressed with them with representation.

Don't believe everything you hear.

My trailer hasn't voided any warranty I have had...............ever! My dealer knows I pull.

And for what it's worth the tongue weight for my trailer is only 15lbs.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2010, 05:27:37 PM »

My question is, why is it that HD will void your warranty if they find a trailer hitch on your bike?? The known facts on why, not assumptions.

They don't have to give a reason.  It's stipulated in the warranty contract that we agree to when we buy the bike.  Any "reason" is irrelevant.

As mentioned above an individual dealer may or may not honor warranty if they see a hitch.  The dealer is only the manufacturer's agent; they're not the manufacturer.  As such they might look the other way, deem the hitch irrelevant to the failure or just simply miss that it's there.  If they do (as many have done) you count your good fortune and move on.  But worrying about a "reason" for the warranty stipulation to look for ground to argue against it is beating your head against the wall.  It just is.  You agreed to it the moment you took title.  And there's not a thing you can do about it.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2010, 04:58:07 PM »

True...............

Worrying about it (warranty) isn't worth it, and pulling a trailer is definitely worth it..  :2vrolijk_21:

screwup

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC 3
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2010, 09:14:43 AM »

have pulled a bushtec since 84, had lots of warranty service done on the road at lots of harley dealers and not one has ever raised the issue of voiding the warranty yet.  maybe just got lucky at the dealers

Lasermag1

• My Favorite Riding Partner
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2011, 03:43:52 AM »

What about towing with safety chains, are they good or will they trip you up if your hitch comes undone?

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2011, 09:20:07 AM »

What about towing with safety chains, are they good or will they trip you up if your hitch comes undone?
The chains are kept just short enough so as not to hit the ground. I've seen one come loose
and the owner caught it. He just let off the gas and coasted to a stop. I guess it could
be a problem, but I've not heard of any. My Bushtec has 1 chain, because of the hitch
design, and it's very short, so you probably wouldn't catch it right away if it came loose.
The "TAZMUN"

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2011, 10:18:15 AM »

In Calif. the safety chain is required by law.  Don't ask me how I'd know that. :(

I had a Bushtec back in the early 90s for several years.  The dealership installed the hitch.  The trailer was never an issue when having warranty work done......not even when I twisted (busted) a transmission main shaft on my 89 Ultra Classic.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »

The bike handles much better with a packed trailer verses a packed TP and rack. I'm sure the suspension and tires benefit also by keeping the weight off the rear axle. Another benefit is that you have a very strong barrier against a rear end crash as we found out last summer. We were hit by a SUV going 60 mph while I was stopping for traffic and walked away from it. The bike was repairable, trailer destroyed, SUV had to be towed away.  Doc
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.564 seconds with 21 queries.