Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Canadian purchasing a U S bike ... what's involved  (Read 6269 times)

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
Canadian purchasing a U S bike ... what's involved
« on: December 30, 2012, 07:03:29 PM »

A Buddy of mine is considering the purchase of a 2009 SERG, from Ohio.  We live in Ontario Canada and I am just wondering if anyone knows what is entailed in making this bike mechanically fit for licencing here in Ontario.  I have heard that there is something he would need to do with the break light but not sure what, or if there is anything else involved.  I sure would appreciate some knowledgeable feed back on this so that my Buddy knows what he is getting into.

Thanks

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Canadian purchasing a U S bike ... what's involved
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 07:24:17 PM »

Here is a site that explains it pretty well, unless you have "a guy" to do your inspection you will have to replace the speedo and odometer to metric, the only brake light issue that I know of that has come up in the past wasn't brake lights, it was the lack of side markers or reflectors on cars.

Certification criteria.Brakes, lights, signals, horn, good rubber, no cracked or broken glass or plastic, nothing hanging off the bike etc... Second link will help.

http://www.thethinkbox.ca/2012/01/13/step-by-step-how-to-import-a-motorcycle-from-the-usa-into-canada/

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/771593.html

:2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 07:31:38 PM by murphy »

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »

Thanks Murphy I will send my Buddy the link's  :2vrolijk_21: Did you have much of a hard time when you brought your SERG up?

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 07:51:20 PM »

I bought my US bike here, it's an Ultra.... kicked myself in the butt when I found out from a buddy who does it regularly that I could have done it myself for about 10k less.... I've helped a couple of buddies since and it is relatively easy.

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 07:54:01 PM »

Here is another " Kick in the teeth from Deeley " and from Mother Harley

http://importation.deeley.com/hdimport/index.php

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 07:59:21 PM »

Yes, if the bike still has an existing warranty on it your friend will be required to pay a Deeley tax.... it was $1000 a few years ago. The tax will get you an inspection by them to see if it will still qualify, there is no guarantee that it will.

Be forewarned that if he chooses not to have the inspection and get any repair work under warranty in the US that the jerks here will flag his bike and they too will not honour the warranty south of the border any longer because the bike is now "Canadian"... this process has happened to more than one guy I know up our way.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 08:02:06 PM by murphy »

robertg

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 08:09:44 PM »

The brake light definitely needs to be done, and you should get a print out from a USA Harley dealer showing that there isn't any recalls.

http://www.riv.ca/harley.aspx

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 08:11:17 PM »

Thanks, I sit corrected!

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 10:45:09 PM »

As Roberg mentions get a recall letter from whoever you buy the bike from, make it a condition of sale. As this bike is a 2009 Road Glide, there probably no factory warranty on the bike. If previous owner fas the ESP you get any work done by any independent dealer who is approved.

As far as the odometer is concerned I would not worry about, as all of my import bikes 2010 CVO
Ultra, my BMW R1150 GSA, and  K1200 LT are in MPH. Also, my daughters AUDI and my Ford Explorer. The Federal Inspection is done by Crappy Tire. Also in regards to the rear non conformance brake and signal lights is Canadian Tire or Ontario Inspections astute enough to catch it. If you are really concerned have a US HD sell you the parts after inspection change it back to US standards looks better than what we have.

geezerglide

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 12:44:25 PM »

I've imported several bikes from the US and have never had to change anything on the bike.  If you are worried about the speedo put a few stickers on it with Kms per hour.  Crappy tire even have those when you go in.  The inspection is a joke and takes about 10 minutes total.  The warranty thing from Deeley is fairly recent and none of the bikes I imported had warranty on them.  Go to the RIV site (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) and all the information you will need is there.  The main thing is to get a copy of the Title as you will have to send a copy to the US Border where you are crossing at least 72 hours prior to bringing it over.  You will then have to stop there to show the original title and have it stamped.  You then declare it at the Canadian side, pay your taxes, fill out the RIV form and you are on your way.  A quick inspection at Crappy tire and you are good to go.

Cheers, Chris (Moe)
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 10:09:24 PM »

British Columbia only requires the Federal RIV inspection via Canadian Tire.

Cheers, Moe
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 02:23:40 AM »

British Columbia only requires the Federal RIV inspection via Canadian Tire.

Cheers, Moe

Moe,

In Alberta we require an out of Province Inspection, I think Ontario also. I always thought BC required one too, guess I learn something new everyday. HAPPY NEW YEAR

geezerglide

lucille

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 02:31:25 AM »

British Columbia only requires the Federal RIV inspection via Canadian Tire......Cheers, Moe

The Federal Inspection is required if the bike is less than 15 yrs. old.
It will also need a Provincial Inspection, and this can be done in a number of licenced inspection establishments. Usually will run ya' about $100.-
Also be aware that the Federal/Provincial taxes are to be paid at the Canadian Border entry....

Be your own warranty ......
'92 FXRS Lowrider.....
'91 FXRT.....113 S&S...6 speed

Gill

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 04:20:26 PM »

Like CVOMoe mentioned. you have to let the US customs know 72 hrs in advance. once you get the title ride up to the US customs ( park on the US side , they have a designated spot where anyone importing vehicles can park and walk into the building) , get the title stamped and then go to the Canadian customs and pay your state taxes based on the bill of sale and local provincial taxes.Alberta was 5% when i brought in mine. Get a federal and a provincial inspection ( both can be done at Canadian tire) The thing that they look for in the inspections is the PSI ( tire pressure) rating sticker on the left side neck of the frame. If you dont have that sticker there- you are in trouble , they will not pass the bike. the second thing is the speedometer but they will give you a sticker in KM and you can put in your pocket and tell them you will stick it on later .Get a recall done letter from Deeley before you go for inspections. Once done you have 30 days to register the bike( at least in Alberta- no idea what Ontario grants)

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 04:41:07 PM »

Like CVOMoe mentioned. you have to let the US customs know 72 hrs in advance. once you get the title ride up to the US customs ( park on the US side , they have a designated spot where anyone importing vehicles can park and walk into the building) , get the title stamped and then go to the Canadian customs and pay your state taxes based on the bill of sale and local provincial taxes.Alberta was 5% when i brought in mine. Get a federal and a provincial inspection ( both can be done at Canadian tire) The thing that they look for in the inspections is the PSI ( tire pressure) rating sticker on the left side neck of the frame. If you dont have that sticker there- you are in trouble , they will not pass the bike. the second thing is the speedometer but they will give you a sticker in KM and you can put in your pocket and tell them you will stick it on later .Get a recall done letter from Deeley before you go for inspections. Once done you have 30 days to register the bike( at least in Alberta- no idea what Ontario grants)
This is one of the things that really concerns my buddy,  He is concerned that after paying for the bike and getting it into Canada what happens if "Deeley " says they wont sign it off and he is stuck with a bike in his garage that he cannot licence or ride?  Neither him or I have ever done anything like this and he is very nervous about paying for a bike he can't ride.  Any reassurances or truthful horror stories to diminish his fear or confirm it?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.