Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Canadian purchasing a U S bike ... what's involved  (Read 6270 times)

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
Canadian purchasing a U S bike ... what's involved
« on: December 30, 2012, 07:03:29 PM »

A Buddy of mine is considering the purchase of a 2009 SERG, from Ohio.  We live in Ontario Canada and I am just wondering if anyone knows what is entailed in making this bike mechanically fit for licencing here in Ontario.  I have heard that there is something he would need to do with the break light but not sure what, or if there is anything else involved.  I sure would appreciate some knowledgeable feed back on this so that my Buddy knows what he is getting into.

Thanks

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Canadian purchasing a U S bike ... what's involved
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 07:24:17 PM »

Here is a site that explains it pretty well, unless you have "a guy" to do your inspection you will have to replace the speedo and odometer to metric, the only brake light issue that I know of that has come up in the past wasn't brake lights, it was the lack of side markers or reflectors on cars.

Certification criteria.Brakes, lights, signals, horn, good rubber, no cracked or broken glass or plastic, nothing hanging off the bike etc... Second link will help.

http://www.thethinkbox.ca/2012/01/13/step-by-step-how-to-import-a-motorcycle-from-the-usa-into-canada/

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/771593.html

:2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 07:31:38 PM by murphy »

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »

Thanks Murphy I will send my Buddy the link's  :2vrolijk_21: Did you have much of a hard time when you brought your SERG up?

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 07:51:20 PM »

I bought my US bike here, it's an Ultra.... kicked myself in the butt when I found out from a buddy who does it regularly that I could have done it myself for about 10k less.... I've helped a couple of buddies since and it is relatively easy.

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 07:54:01 PM »

Here is another " Kick in the teeth from Deeley " and from Mother Harley

http://importation.deeley.com/hdimport/index.php

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 07:59:21 PM »

Yes, if the bike still has an existing warranty on it your friend will be required to pay a Deeley tax.... it was $1000 a few years ago. The tax will get you an inspection by them to see if it will still qualify, there is no guarantee that it will.

Be forewarned that if he chooses not to have the inspection and get any repair work under warranty in the US that the jerks here will flag his bike and they too will not honour the warranty south of the border any longer because the bike is now "Canadian"... this process has happened to more than one guy I know up our way.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 08:02:06 PM by murphy »

robertg

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 08:09:44 PM »

The brake light definitely needs to be done, and you should get a print out from a USA Harley dealer showing that there isn't any recalls.

http://www.riv.ca/harley.aspx

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 08:11:17 PM »

Thanks, I sit corrected!

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 10:45:09 PM »

As Roberg mentions get a recall letter from whoever you buy the bike from, make it a condition of sale. As this bike is a 2009 Road Glide, there probably no factory warranty on the bike. If previous owner fas the ESP you get any work done by any independent dealer who is approved.

As far as the odometer is concerned I would not worry about, as all of my import bikes 2010 CVO
Ultra, my BMW R1150 GSA, and  K1200 LT are in MPH. Also, my daughters AUDI and my Ford Explorer. The Federal Inspection is done by Crappy Tire. Also in regards to the rear non conformance brake and signal lights is Canadian Tire or Ontario Inspections astute enough to catch it. If you are really concerned have a US HD sell you the parts after inspection change it back to US standards looks better than what we have.

geezerglide

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 12:44:25 PM »

I've imported several bikes from the US and have never had to change anything on the bike.  If you are worried about the speedo put a few stickers on it with Kms per hour.  Crappy tire even have those when you go in.  The inspection is a joke and takes about 10 minutes total.  The warranty thing from Deeley is fairly recent and none of the bikes I imported had warranty on them.  Go to the RIV site (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) and all the information you will need is there.  The main thing is to get a copy of the Title as you will have to send a copy to the US Border where you are crossing at least 72 hours prior to bringing it over.  You will then have to stop there to show the original title and have it stamped.  You then declare it at the Canadian side, pay your taxes, fill out the RIV form and you are on your way.  A quick inspection at Crappy tire and you are good to go.

Cheers, Chris (Moe)
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 10:09:24 PM »

British Columbia only requires the Federal RIV inspection via Canadian Tire.

Cheers, Moe
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 02:23:40 AM »

British Columbia only requires the Federal RIV inspection via Canadian Tire.

Cheers, Moe

Moe,

In Alberta we require an out of Province Inspection, I think Ontario also. I always thought BC required one too, guess I learn something new everyday. HAPPY NEW YEAR

geezerglide

lucille

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 02:31:25 AM »

British Columbia only requires the Federal RIV inspection via Canadian Tire......Cheers, Moe

The Federal Inspection is required if the bike is less than 15 yrs. old.
It will also need a Provincial Inspection, and this can be done in a number of licenced inspection establishments. Usually will run ya' about $100.-
Also be aware that the Federal/Provincial taxes are to be paid at the Canadian Border entry....

Be your own warranty ......
'92 FXRS Lowrider.....
'91 FXRT.....113 S&S...6 speed

Gill

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 04:20:26 PM »

Like CVOMoe mentioned. you have to let the US customs know 72 hrs in advance. once you get the title ride up to the US customs ( park on the US side , they have a designated spot where anyone importing vehicles can park and walk into the building) , get the title stamped and then go to the Canadian customs and pay your state taxes based on the bill of sale and local provincial taxes.Alberta was 5% when i brought in mine. Get a federal and a provincial inspection ( both can be done at Canadian tire) The thing that they look for in the inspections is the PSI ( tire pressure) rating sticker on the left side neck of the frame. If you dont have that sticker there- you are in trouble , they will not pass the bike. the second thing is the speedometer but they will give you a sticker in KM and you can put in your pocket and tell them you will stick it on later .Get a recall done letter from Deeley before you go for inspections. Once done you have 30 days to register the bike( at least in Alberta- no idea what Ontario grants)

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 04:41:07 PM »

Like CVOMoe mentioned. you have to let the US customs know 72 hrs in advance. once you get the title ride up to the US customs ( park on the US side , they have a designated spot where anyone importing vehicles can park and walk into the building) , get the title stamped and then go to the Canadian customs and pay your state taxes based on the bill of sale and local provincial taxes.Alberta was 5% when i brought in mine. Get a federal and a provincial inspection ( both can be done at Canadian tire) The thing that they look for in the inspections is the PSI ( tire pressure) rating sticker on the left side neck of the frame. If you dont have that sticker there- you are in trouble , they will not pass the bike. the second thing is the speedometer but they will give you a sticker in KM and you can put in your pocket and tell them you will stick it on later .Get a recall done letter from Deeley before you go for inspections. Once done you have 30 days to register the bike( at least in Alberta- no idea what Ontario grants)
This is one of the things that really concerns my buddy,  He is concerned that after paying for the bike and getting it into Canada what happens if "Deeley " says they wont sign it off and he is stuck with a bike in his garage that he cannot licence or ride?  Neither him or I have ever done anything like this and he is very nervous about paying for a bike he can't ride.  Any reassurances or truthful horror stories to diminish his fear or confirm it?

robertg

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 05:02:28 PM »

I believe you can also get the recall information online now. The last one that I did was a year ago and it was a 2012 model, they didn't even want the recall letter. Here's a link to the recall site.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Owners/service-your-bike/service-recalls/service-recalls.html

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 05:25:55 PM »

Deeley can never tell anyone what they can or cannot buy nor can they any province what can or cannot be registered! If a motorcycle is still under the new vehicle warranty Deeley can try and get out of covering a warranty claim unless you jump through their hoops. However, if you happen to live reasonably close to a US dealership the US dealership will gladly take care of any new vehicle warranty item.

So Deeley signs off nothing else other than the new vehicle warranty and only if it still applies. Every other issue including safety, lighting, etc, is strictly provincially or federally regulated.  

Hope this helps your buddy and puts his mind at ease.        
That is what my understanding was from some of the other links that members have offered and this bike being a 2009 I would assume it is now out of warrantys so it should have nothing to do with Deeley is that correct?

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 05:29:10 PM »

I just went to that link and entered my VIN it told me no open recalls and gave an option to print my results. Wonder if that would be an acceptable recall letter for them,providing his VIN comes back clean?
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 06:16:43 PM »

This suggestion of Deeley not being able to void a warranty is incorrect, the have been doing it and will continue to.

I posted this back in May:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=74334.0

:coolblue:

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 06:30:31 PM »

This suggestion of Deeley not being able to void a warranty is incorrect, the have been doing it and will continue to.

I posted this back in May:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=74334.0

:coolblue:

I think that has been established here Murph,  If the bike is still under manufactures warranty you have to jump through the "Deeley Hoops"$$$$        But if it is out of warranty there is no issue with a dealership servicing the bike is there?

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 06:53:57 PM »

I just went to that link and entered my VIN it told me no open recalls and gave an option to print my results. Wonder if that would be an acceptable recall letter for them,providing his VIN comes back clean?

krypto2011,

I would not count on sending this printout to RIV, I would get the Recall letter from the seller or from the Dealer in the US. I would not pay Deeley or any Canadian HD Dealer $50.00 to provide a document that you can get n/c.

geezerglide

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 07:20:26 PM »

I think that has been established here Murph,  If the bike is still under manufactures warranty you have to jump through the "Deeley Hoops"$$$$        But if it is out of warranty there is no issue with a dealership servicing the bike is there?

Right Marty, only time it's an issue is when the warranty is still valid, the stealers would be happy to relieve your friend at any opportunity otherwise!

Gill

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 07:36:52 PM »

This is what i did. Hope it helps   :)

HDard

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 09:37:45 AM »

GR8 information. I found a good deal on a unique CVO SG in Atlanta, GA and now in the process of trying to find someone to transport it for me to the Toronto area. I will add the rear taillight as I've always thought the more (or better) lights back there the better. Any other advice or comments always appreciated.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 03:59:18 PM »

2 Things I found out when I was looking into this was...... The 3rd brake light/pig nose is not as easy to install as you might think. The wiring has to get done and a module has to be installed to control the light. As for the speedo you can replace it to KM but it starts at 000000. You cannot reset it or adjust it to existing KM/Miles of what the bike traveled. With this new Speedo comes a yellow sticker which gets attached to the frame and stands out like a sore thumb. It says that the speedo has been changed on the bike. Down the road raises red flags if you try and sell it. Better off getting the little stickers with numbers and place them on the glass of the speedo. After the inspection you can peel them off. Avoids the yellow sticker on the frame.

The tail light i never confirmed but the speedo information came from H.D.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 04:32:50 PM »

My bike came with the appropriate rear light, as have many others I've seen.

At the point of sale I was was issued an ugly sticker that was supposed to be attached permanently to the frame according to the guv... it wasn't yellow it was offwhite and composed with some sort of metallic base... but mine somehow got lost, and was never affixed.

There is supposed to be an offence and penalty under the ORegs of the Highway Traffic Act here in Ontario for not attaching it, but I couldn't locate it and I am a Provincial Offences Act Instructor... if I can't find the appropriate charge I will bet my left testicle that there are very few other LE guys who can, or even care to!

I can see the reasoning for the yellow one though... if you change the speedo it is possible that some dude who may be less than honest could rapidly reduce many miles on an otherwise tired bike offered for sale.

:mickey:

lucille

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 07:00:10 PM »

British Columbia's corporate 'poster child' (ICBC) has ruled that a Harley-Davidson motorcycle is in fact NOT a Harley-Davidson motorcycle IF it is powered by a non H-D motor (S&S).  It will be registered as a 'U-built', and will have a new VIN riveted to the steering head.

It is a Harley-Davidson 'modified' if it's powered by a titled H-D manufactured motor, and the bike can use the original VIN.

The nabob's that run ICBC only recognize a 'numbers match' Harley as a Harley-Davidson motorcycle ..... ask me how I know!   :coolblue:

Greg
'92 FXRS Lowrider.....
'91 FXRT.....113 S&S...6 speed

hverbakel

• Full CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2006 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2001 Screamin Eagle Road Glide
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 07:19:46 PM »

I have also recently imported several Harleys from the states. Never any tailight questions or issues, and the speedometer stickers are only suggested by Canadian Tire. Keep in mind that the provincial laws can change from province to province. As an example, last time I checked you couldn't register a salvaged title bike into Ontario, and I believe you can in some provinces.
06 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic
01 Screaming Eagle Roadglide

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 11:32:24 PM »

British Columbia's corporate 'poster child' (ICBC) has ruled that a Harley-Davidson motorcycle is in fact NOT a Harley-Davidson motorcycle IF it is powered by a non H-D motor (S&S).  It will be registered as a 'U-built', and will have a new VIN riveted to the steering head.

It is a Harley-Davidson 'modified' if it's powered by a titled H-D manufactured motor, and the bike can use the original VIN.

The nabob's that run ICBC only recognize a 'numbers match' Harley as a Harley-Davidson motorcycle ..... ask me how I know!   :coolblue:

Greg

Greg,

The same holds true for Manitoba. Years ago I sold my 2003 Road Glide with a JIMS 120 and Baker 6 speed. When the new owner went for an out of province inspection so he could title the bike. The inspector told him he  could only declare it as HOME BUILT. Of course Manitoba has a provincial run insurance program same as BC. When I checked Alberta DOT, they advised the bike is registered to the VIN of the frame.

geezerglide
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 10:30:42 AM by geezerglide »

HDard

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 07:20:38 AM »

This is great. For others who may be following this thread I have been in contact with Mackie and they quoted $655.00 from Atlanta, GA to their Oshawa terminal by enclosed trailer. An additional 5%  GST is needed and their customs broker fees to get the vehicle across  could be up to $460.00 if you want them to do it all for you (RIV payment is your responsibility). Will store the bike for $100/month if you need that service. They include a handy checklist with contacts to ease the transaction process. The pick up is not immediate (in my case may be up to 4 weeks) so if you need faster service then this may not be the most convenient. Hopefully seller will assist in getting rear tailight installed before transport but dont think that is a deal breaker at this point. Still realizing significant savings compared to a CDN  bike (2010 CVO SG) so I'm happy with that side of the deal.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2013, 08:21:34 AM »

Hi Marty,

I have a friend who lives in Ontario that purchased a 2009 SERG in late 2011 from upstate NY and after checking it out he was not concerned about purchasing extended warranty at all.  If (and only if) your friend wants extended warranty from what I understand he HAS to purchase it from a CND dealer and prior to that the bike has to be DOT approved which would require the addition of a rear taillight among other things such as new speedo, etc.  The costs start to add up so again my firend was not interested and certainly did not want to spoil the look of the clean rear end of the SERG.

The dealer that he purchased from prepared all the necessary paperwork for customs and even sent them to the office at his preferred border crossing ahead of time to make his crossing as quick as possible... Apparently he was only in the office for 1/2 an hour and on his way after paying the GST on his purchase.

He took his bike to CT for safety inspection and $35. later he had his certificate in hand and on his way to the MOT to obtain a plate and new ownership.  His bike is still running great and he couldn't be happier with his purchase.

He did NOT have to add a taillight to the rear fender or make any other modifications to the bike.

Hope this is of some help to your friend.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:48:50 AM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

HDard

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 09:02:46 AM »

There seems to be a debate about the tailight but according to the website it does a side by side comparison (with photos) of CDN and U.S. models. With my luck, i would get someone who knows the difference and refuse to issue paperwork or clearance. I'm going to err on the side of the regulation which shows that I need to have the light installed. I have a BAL-1 ready to go on which is really a fantastic light. Have not determined if I am supposed to have some sort of rear fender mod but hopefuly that is not the case. Will need to read some more on that subject.

hverbakel

• Full CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 09:45:36 AM »

In my experience if you are thinking of buying a bike in the states, the biggest dceision is " are you going to look at the bike before you buy it" or just buy it and have it transported here sight unseen. If you are going to go look at it, then why not just trailer it back?

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 10:41:29 AM »

In my experience if you are thinking of buying a bike in the states, the biggest dceision is " are you going to look at the bike before you buy it" or just buy it and have it transported here sight unseen. If you are going to go look at it, then why not just trailer it back?

Sometimes it is Logistics, as I live in Alberta and most of the bikes and cars I have bought, were bought in the Phoenix area or shipped to Phoenix were I would keep them for the winter and drive the bikes back to Calgary in June. If I was close to the border Ontario/NY, BC/Washington, Quebec/NY border and populous areas lie some of you guys I would g down and drive it home.

Also as for inspecting the bike there are enough forum members who would be more than happy to inspect a potential purchase of the bike probably in any part of the US. In fact a member in Saskatoon found a bike in the Carolinas and a few members volunteered to check the bike out and dod so, the bike was great and was purchased by the member from Saskatoon.

I have trailered  a bike back and forth a few time in the winter however try not to as it is an approx. 1500 mile one way trip, and n the winter time driving through Utah, Idaho, Montana and Alberta with an open trailer is not the best.

geezerglide

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 11:07:36 AM »

There seems to be a debate about the taillight but according to the website it does a side by side comparison (with photos) of CDN and U.S. models. With my luck, i would get someone who knows the difference and refuse to issue paperwork or clearance. I'm going to err on the side of the regulation which shows that I need to have the light installed. I have a BAL-1 ready to go on which is really a fantastic light. Have not determined if I am supposed to have some sort of rear fender mod but hopefully that is not the case. Will need to read some more on that subject.

I maybe wrong (as I have never imported a bike myself) but it my understanding (from friends who have done it) that the ONLY debate regarding the rear fender taillight being necessary for Canadian registration is whether or not you wish to have extended warranty on the bike... It is a "Deeley" requirement to ensure the bike is DOT approved to get extended warranty and it IS debatable if having the fugly taillight installed is the only way to have it DOT approved???  I personally do NOT believe so because the U.S. SE Road Glides do in fact have a brake light!  In fact they have 2, one on each side of the fender which makes them even more visible in my humble opinion.

Just so you know, my friend who imported a '09 SERG back in 2011 looked into the warranty issue and what all was involved and just for the taillight to be installed he was quoted over $3,000.00 due to the fact that you require an entire new rear fender.  At least this is what the dealer informed him.

As mentioned previously, he decided to keep the clean look without adding an additional taillight, spent $35. on the CT safety and paid for a new ownership and plate and the MOT and he was done!  He has been riding his beautiful bike for the past 2 seasons worry free and never has he been questioned about his bike not being compliant with Canadian MOT regulations, except for the reminders from his dealer that he could still get extended warranty IF he spends a lot more that just the $1,700. for the warranty itself.  Is regular answer is... "Nah, no thanks, my bike is just fine the way it is and running great, but thank you very much for the offer."

You have to do what is comfortable for you, and I wish you the best with your new bike whichever you decide for the rear fender and brake light assembly.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 11:14:35 AM »

Actually I just remembered about another friend who purchase a Street Glide from the States last summer that had a similar rear fender without the fugly taillight.

Not only did he not buy a new fender and/or install a supposedly DOT brake light, he thought he would out smart the system and cover himself by purchasing a extended warranty from the U.S. dealer he purchased the used bike from.  I understand the problem with his thinking was as soon as he registered the bike in Canada it voided his warranty and he no can not get it fixed under warranty here in Canada or in the U.S., so that was a real waste of money and I still wonder why the dealer State side would ever sell him something he could never use?  :nixweiss:

BTW, he too has never had a problem with NOT having the additional brake light on his fender.

Just thought I would pass this info along.

HDard

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 12:39:34 PM »

Anybody in the Atlanta area that can check this bike out for me (great idea)? I've talked to both the seller and the Indy (a forum moderator on another site as well) and feel assured that all is in order as much as it can be. Feel like I'm beating this rear tailight issue to death but the requirement (and pictures) is listed on the government link. I do not see any reference to Deeley (other than getting a recall notice and I will get that from the Atlanta dealer) so hopefully I will avoid any contact with them.

There is certainly a good argument for going down to pick it up myself but if it was a $ to $ comparison having it shipped makes much more sense. I would need to rent an enclosed trailer, gas, accomodation, food, time off work etc would be more or at least very close to what Mackie can do it for. Factor in the likelihood of  some poor driving conditions and the potential pucker factor then it is a no brainer. This is an expensive purchase no matter which way you look at it and I feel by dealing with experts some of that stress will be reduced. Always open to comments or solutions.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 12:52:23 PM »

Actually I just remembered about another friend who purchase a Street Glide from the States last summer that had a similar rear fender without the fugly taillight.

Not only did he not buy a new fender and/or install a supposedly DOT brake light, he thought he would out smart the system and cover himself by purchasing a extended warranty from the U.S. dealer he purchased the used bike from.  I understand the problem with his thinking was as soon as he registered the bike in Canada it voided his warranty and he no can not get it fixed under warranty here in Canada or in the U.S., so that was a real waste of money and I still wonder why the dealer State side would ever sell him something he could never use?  :nixweiss:

BTW, he too has never had a problem with NOT having the additional brake light on his fender.

Just thought I would pass this info along.

Grissly,

I bought a 2010 CVU Ultra fro a dealer in Langhone, PA he delivered the bike to Phoenix, I purchased the HD ESP from Kutter, HD the bike is now registered in Alberta, Canada. I have never had a problem getting whatever ESP work I have had done both in Canada and the US.

geezerglide

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 01:37:36 PM »

Thanks Geezer,

I'm only going by what my friend has told me and what has been confirmed by a Canadian dealer... But then they only want you to buy in Canada, right.

Glad to hear that there are no issues with extended warranty no matter where the bike or warranty is purchased and by whom or where they reside.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:39:10 PM by Grizzly »

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2013, 01:52:26 PM »

I know Deeley has 'tightened' up their rules...but, the extended warranty on my '08 (US bike), purchased in Oregon, was honored in Victoria and Vancouver and in the US as well.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, 08:15:25 PM »

Thanks to everyone for your input  :2vrolijk_21:  I think you have all helped me and my buddy understand enough to seriously look at this bike and importing it to The Great White North  :drink:  This just shows why the family on this site are a special breed, lending your experiences to help a Buddy of another member :)

Marty

GregMan

• ON

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE2
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2013, 11:54:56 AM »

I imported a flstefse2 and flhrse4 a couple of years ago.

I would: if purchasing from a harley dealer obtain detailed pics.  If purchasing privately, make arrangements for a local dealer to inspect and obtain detailed pics.  I actually flew to south carolina to inspect personally.  It was only a couple of hundred bucks for the flight and time well spent.  The dealer held on to the bike until it was picked up by my shipper.

I shipped both bikes using Canadian Auto Transport.  They provided brokerage services as well.  They shipped to my door.  It was painless and cost-effective.  I would not recommend meeting the bike at customs for the extra 100 bucks it costs.  I can't say enough about Canadian Auto Transport.  They exceeded my expectations.  I am not an employee or shareholder LOL!  Shipping from Texas was about $1100 all-inclusive (brokerage, taxes....)

once here the bikes will have to be safetied.  if any mod's that are required you will be notified then.  I wouldn't do anything in advance unless it is major and if that is the case I would reconsider my selection of model.

Hope this helps.  Choosing from the endless supply of low mileage bikes down south is the biggest challenge you face.  I have noticed however, that used bikes have dropped in price up here because a lot of people have imported and the dealers are doing it as well.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2013, 03:21:50 PM »

Most Harleys come with the brake light so it is not a problem but when you get a CVO SG or convertable then you have a problem. The International bikes which is what comes to Canada must have amber lights for turn signals. This is why they have the 3rd brake light. This is not required in the U.S. These amber turn signals are law. This means that the bike cannot be plated in Canada...unless the person performing the inspection turns a blind eye......while you hand him an extra $100.00 bucks. ;)

Below is my bike when i got it.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2013, 03:22:35 PM »

A U.S. bike.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2013, 03:25:06 PM »

My bike today. If I ever sold it (not for sale :P) The amber lights would have to be put back in.

GliderDoug

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2013, 11:48:06 AM »

Some significant changes since I made a purchase of an American bike in April, then "tried" to get the RIV inspection done once I got it home a week later.
This is the real pertinent info from the RIV inspection form that must be done by Canadian Tire (the only approved fed inspection organization)

SPEEDOMETER: shall be calibrated in kilometers per hour or both kilometers per hour and miles per hour. Digital speedometers that switch between
kilometers per hour and miles per hour are permitted if the unit of measure is identified. (this means your US HD must get a new speedo)
INSPECTION CENTRE: attach miles odometer label if required.
[ ] EXHAUST SYSTEM: must have permanent legible marking, confirming it meets “EPA regulation of 80dB(A)” (don't try to bring in a bike with anything other than stock mufflers)

The "sticker" solution for speedo is no longer valid. If your bike has modified pipes you'll need to find some stock ones to pass inspection.

hverbakel

• Full CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2013, 10:52:24 AM »

I bought my bike in the states last spring and neither of these items were issues. Any idea when these two new rules came into effect.?

hadye

• Pharaoh Rider
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • Pharaoh Bikers
Re: Re: Canadian purchasing a U S bike ... what's involved
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2013, 02:54:14 PM »

This is an old post from other forum talking about the same issue, I have been investigating this as I am about to move to Toronto from middle east. Am slso thinking of shipping my hike from here although I don't know if this can be done or not

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1161937

hadye

• Pharaoh Rider
  • Senior CVO Member

• Pharaoh Bikers
Re: Re: Re: Canadian purchasing a U S bike ... what's involved
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2013, 03:17:24 PM »

Most Harleys come with the brake light so it is not a problem but when you get a CVO SG or convertable then you have a problem. The International bikes which is what comes to Canada must have amber lights for turn signals. This is why they have the 3rd brake light. This is not required in the U.S. These amber turn signals are law. This means that the bike cannot be plated in Canada...unless the person performing the inspection turns a blind eye......while you hand him an extra $100.00 bucks. ;)

Below is my bike when i got it.

What fo you mean that the bikes coming to Canada are international?  Is the VIN starts with 1 or 5 ?

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 2

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2013, 03:39:12 PM »

Good Info everyone thanks for posting  :2vrolijk_21:
Hawg

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2013, 04:36:46 PM »

Also, be aware and this is not stated anywhere that I could find on the RIV website. You must submit your "Recall Letter" 30 days after its submittal to you. I rode a bike in Phoenix for the winter brought it Canada submitted "Recall Letter" to RIV, by then it was three months since it was issued. They would not accept it and I had to go back to the dealer for a another one not more than 30 days old.

So remember if you want to ride or drive a vehicle around for more than 30 days in the US before you import it, make sure the dealer will provide you one when you are ready to come back to Canada.

HADYE, I do not know what the ruling would be for importing a bike from the Middle East, I would phone RIV for confirmation.

I asked where on their preamble on their website it states this, was advised it doesn't but they did not care said had to get another one.

geezerglide

hadye

• Pharaoh Rider
  • Senior CVO Member

• Pharaoh Bikers
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2013, 03:35:38 AM »

HADYE, I do not know what the ruling would be for importing a bike from the Middle East, I would phone RIV for confirmation.

I asked where on their preamble on their website it states this, was advised it doesn't but they did not care said had to get another one.

geezerglide

Thanks my friend
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 21 queries.