Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Canadian purchasing a U S bike ... what's involved  (Read 6271 times)

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
Re: Canadian purchasing a U S bike ... what's involved
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2013, 08:21:34 AM »

Hi Marty,

I have a friend who lives in Ontario that purchased a 2009 SERG in late 2011 from upstate NY and after checking it out he was not concerned about purchasing extended warranty at all.  If (and only if) your friend wants extended warranty from what I understand he HAS to purchase it from a CND dealer and prior to that the bike has to be DOT approved which would require the addition of a rear taillight among other things such as new speedo, etc.  The costs start to add up so again my firend was not interested and certainly did not want to spoil the look of the clean rear end of the SERG.

The dealer that he purchased from prepared all the necessary paperwork for customs and even sent them to the office at his preferred border crossing ahead of time to make his crossing as quick as possible... Apparently he was only in the office for 1/2 an hour and on his way after paying the GST on his purchase.

He took his bike to CT for safety inspection and $35. later he had his certificate in hand and on his way to the MOT to obtain a plate and new ownership.  His bike is still running great and he couldn't be happier with his purchase.

He did NOT have to add a taillight to the rear fender or make any other modifications to the bike.

Hope this is of some help to your friend.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:48:50 AM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

HDard

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 09:02:46 AM »

There seems to be a debate about the tailight but according to the website it does a side by side comparison (with photos) of CDN and U.S. models. With my luck, i would get someone who knows the difference and refuse to issue paperwork or clearance. I'm going to err on the side of the regulation which shows that I need to have the light installed. I have a BAL-1 ready to go on which is really a fantastic light. Have not determined if I am supposed to have some sort of rear fender mod but hopefuly that is not the case. Will need to read some more on that subject.

hverbakel

• Full CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2006 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2001 Screamin Eagle Road Glide
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 09:45:36 AM »

In my experience if you are thinking of buying a bike in the states, the biggest dceision is " are you going to look at the bike before you buy it" or just buy it and have it transported here sight unseen. If you are going to go look at it, then why not just trailer it back?
06 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic
01 Screaming Eagle Roadglide

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 10:41:29 AM »

In my experience if you are thinking of buying a bike in the states, the biggest dceision is " are you going to look at the bike before you buy it" or just buy it and have it transported here sight unseen. If you are going to go look at it, then why not just trailer it back?

Sometimes it is Logistics, as I live in Alberta and most of the bikes and cars I have bought, were bought in the Phoenix area or shipped to Phoenix were I would keep them for the winter and drive the bikes back to Calgary in June. If I was close to the border Ontario/NY, BC/Washington, Quebec/NY border and populous areas lie some of you guys I would g down and drive it home.

Also as for inspecting the bike there are enough forum members who would be more than happy to inspect a potential purchase of the bike probably in any part of the US. In fact a member in Saskatoon found a bike in the Carolinas and a few members volunteered to check the bike out and dod so, the bike was great and was purchased by the member from Saskatoon.

I have trailered  a bike back and forth a few time in the winter however try not to as it is an approx. 1500 mile one way trip, and n the winter time driving through Utah, Idaho, Montana and Alberta with an open trailer is not the best.

geezerglide

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 11:07:36 AM »

There seems to be a debate about the taillight but according to the website it does a side by side comparison (with photos) of CDN and U.S. models. With my luck, i would get someone who knows the difference and refuse to issue paperwork or clearance. I'm going to err on the side of the regulation which shows that I need to have the light installed. I have a BAL-1 ready to go on which is really a fantastic light. Have not determined if I am supposed to have some sort of rear fender mod but hopefully that is not the case. Will need to read some more on that subject.

I maybe wrong (as I have never imported a bike myself) but it my understanding (from friends who have done it) that the ONLY debate regarding the rear fender taillight being necessary for Canadian registration is whether or not you wish to have extended warranty on the bike... It is a "Deeley" requirement to ensure the bike is DOT approved to get extended warranty and it IS debatable if having the fugly taillight installed is the only way to have it DOT approved???  I personally do NOT believe so because the U.S. SE Road Glides do in fact have a brake light!  In fact they have 2, one on each side of the fender which makes them even more visible in my humble opinion.

Just so you know, my friend who imported a '09 SERG back in 2011 looked into the warranty issue and what all was involved and just for the taillight to be installed he was quoted over $3,000.00 due to the fact that you require an entire new rear fender.  At least this is what the dealer informed him.

As mentioned previously, he decided to keep the clean look without adding an additional taillight, spent $35. on the CT safety and paid for a new ownership and plate and the MOT and he was done!  He has been riding his beautiful bike for the past 2 seasons worry free and never has he been questioned about his bike not being compliant with Canadian MOT regulations, except for the reminders from his dealer that he could still get extended warranty IF he spends a lot more that just the $1,700. for the warranty itself.  Is regular answer is... "Nah, no thanks, my bike is just fine the way it is and running great, but thank you very much for the offer."

You have to do what is comfortable for you, and I wish you the best with your new bike whichever you decide for the rear fender and brake light assembly.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 11:14:35 AM »

Actually I just remembered about another friend who purchase a Street Glide from the States last summer that had a similar rear fender without the fugly taillight.

Not only did he not buy a new fender and/or install a supposedly DOT brake light, he thought he would out smart the system and cover himself by purchasing a extended warranty from the U.S. dealer he purchased the used bike from.  I understand the problem with his thinking was as soon as he registered the bike in Canada it voided his warranty and he no can not get it fixed under warranty here in Canada or in the U.S., so that was a real waste of money and I still wonder why the dealer State side would ever sell him something he could never use?  :nixweiss:

BTW, he too has never had a problem with NOT having the additional brake light on his fender.

Just thought I would pass this info along.

HDard

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 12:39:34 PM »

Anybody in the Atlanta area that can check this bike out for me (great idea)? I've talked to both the seller and the Indy (a forum moderator on another site as well) and feel assured that all is in order as much as it can be. Feel like I'm beating this rear tailight issue to death but the requirement (and pictures) is listed on the government link. I do not see any reference to Deeley (other than getting a recall notice and I will get that from the Atlanta dealer) so hopefully I will avoid any contact with them.

There is certainly a good argument for going down to pick it up myself but if it was a $ to $ comparison having it shipped makes much more sense. I would need to rent an enclosed trailer, gas, accomodation, food, time off work etc would be more or at least very close to what Mackie can do it for. Factor in the likelihood of  some poor driving conditions and the potential pucker factor then it is a no brainer. This is an expensive purchase no matter which way you look at it and I feel by dealing with experts some of that stress will be reduced. Always open to comments or solutions.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 12:52:23 PM »

Actually I just remembered about another friend who purchase a Street Glide from the States last summer that had a similar rear fender without the fugly taillight.

Not only did he not buy a new fender and/or install a supposedly DOT brake light, he thought he would out smart the system and cover himself by purchasing a extended warranty from the U.S. dealer he purchased the used bike from.  I understand the problem with his thinking was as soon as he registered the bike in Canada it voided his warranty and he no can not get it fixed under warranty here in Canada or in the U.S., so that was a real waste of money and I still wonder why the dealer State side would ever sell him something he could never use?  :nixweiss:

BTW, he too has never had a problem with NOT having the additional brake light on his fender.

Just thought I would pass this info along.

Grissly,

I bought a 2010 CVU Ultra fro a dealer in Langhone, PA he delivered the bike to Phoenix, I purchased the HD ESP from Kutter, HD the bike is now registered in Alberta, Canada. I have never had a problem getting whatever ESP work I have had done both in Canada and the US.

geezerglide

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 01:37:36 PM »

Thanks Geezer,

I'm only going by what my friend has told me and what has been confirmed by a Canadian dealer... But then they only want you to buy in Canada, right.

Glad to hear that there are no issues with extended warranty no matter where the bike or warranty is purchased and by whom or where they reside.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:39:10 PM by Grizzly »

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2013, 01:52:26 PM »

I know Deeley has 'tightened' up their rules...but, the extended warranty on my '08 (US bike), purchased in Oregon, was honored in Victoria and Vancouver and in the US as well.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, 08:15:25 PM »

Thanks to everyone for your input  :2vrolijk_21:  I think you have all helped me and my buddy understand enough to seriously look at this bike and importing it to The Great White North  :drink:  This just shows why the family on this site are a special breed, lending your experiences to help a Buddy of another member :)

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

GregMan

• ON

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE2
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2013, 11:54:56 AM »

I imported a flstefse2 and flhrse4 a couple of years ago.

I would: if purchasing from a harley dealer obtain detailed pics.  If purchasing privately, make arrangements for a local dealer to inspect and obtain detailed pics.  I actually flew to south carolina to inspect personally.  It was only a couple of hundred bucks for the flight and time well spent.  The dealer held on to the bike until it was picked up by my shipper.

I shipped both bikes using Canadian Auto Transport.  They provided brokerage services as well.  They shipped to my door.  It was painless and cost-effective.  I would not recommend meeting the bike at customs for the extra 100 bucks it costs.  I can't say enough about Canadian Auto Transport.  They exceeded my expectations.  I am not an employee or shareholder LOL!  Shipping from Texas was about $1100 all-inclusive (brokerage, taxes....)

once here the bikes will have to be safetied.  if any mod's that are required you will be notified then.  I wouldn't do anything in advance unless it is major and if that is the case I would reconsider my selection of model.

Hope this helps.  Choosing from the endless supply of low mileage bikes down south is the biggest challenge you face.  I have noticed however, that used bikes have dropped in price up here because a lot of people have imported and the dealers are doing it as well.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2013, 03:21:50 PM »

Most Harleys come with the brake light so it is not a problem but when you get a CVO SG or convertable then you have a problem. The International bikes which is what comes to Canada must have amber lights for turn signals. This is why they have the 3rd brake light. This is not required in the U.S. These amber turn signals are law. This means that the bike cannot be plated in Canada...unless the person performing the inspection turns a blind eye......while you hand him an extra $100.00 bucks. ;)

Below is my bike when i got it.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2013, 03:22:35 PM »

A U.S. bike.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2013, 03:25:06 PM »

My bike today. If I ever sold it (not for sale :P) The amber lights would have to be put back in.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.