Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old Bikes Upgrade to Brembo -- In Case Anyone is Still Doing This Kind of Thing  (Read 2195 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

One of the locals was over this afternoon with his 05 Road King and some Brembo brakes he wanted to add.  I'd strongly suggested he score not just the calipers and rotors (mandatory) but the master cylinder also.  You can do it without the master cylinder but there is a real and noticeable difference. 

Changing just the calipers and rotors is almost a bolt on job.  Lines will work.  The only thing extra is part of the casting on the Brembo caliper on one side needs to be removed with a Dremel.  It's just a tiny bit and no big deal.  It's been covered here at Neal's site several times before and there's probably no one else still doing upgrades to these antiques so didn't take time for pictures.

Despite recommendation he was trying to save some money and didn't buy a master cylinder.  So we bolted everything on the front, got it bled (losing the miserable DOT5 for DOT4 synthetic), and he was ready to head out.  I told him to expect a hard brake lever pull and it might feel like he had to pull as hard as he could to get close to locking up the front wheel.  It's not quite that bad.  But it's close.  The old master cylinder works with the Brembo calipers but you just don't "learn" as much and don't feel like you've got as much finesse or control. 

He left the house for a test ride and almost rolled through a stop sign a few blocks down.  He turned around.  We put on a master cylinder that I had in my pile of spares.  Now it works really really well.  Just a heads up for anyone else with an old bike still considering brake upgrades.  I always thought this was a worthwhile upgrade but you really want to do calipers and master cylinder in combination for the front.  The rear caliper works in a way that "feels" normal with the stock rear master cylinder.  But the fronts can be funky. 

Finster101

• Full CVO Member

I'm guessing the later model master has a bigger bore.  Is that correct?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

I'm guessing the later model master has a bigger bore.  Is that correct?

One would think.  The cylinders for the Brembo bikes and the earlier dual disk bikes (like late 90s to 2007) are both 11/16".  They still "feel" noticeably different though.  And it's a beneficial difference when using the Brembo era master cylinder with the Brembo calipers.  So something in the valving as it controls pressures vs travel in the cylinder would be my guess.  But it's just a guess.

Finster101

• Full CVO Member

Thanks, Just curious more than anything.

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R

Would you happen to know if the rear Bembro caliper and mounting bracket is a bolt on for a 2007 Road king?  Thanks.
WHUFC   COYI

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Would you happen to know if the rear Bembro caliper and mounting bracket is a bolt on for a 2007 Road king?  Thanks.

It is not.  But it's close if you want to.

2007 still used the 1" diameter axle.  2008 went to the 25mm axle.  That's 0.984".  So the axle hole in the mounting bracket for the Brembo caliper is too small.

I've mounted several though.  Both of my older brakes and several others.  If you've got a drill press, a 1" bit, and a simple brake cylinder hone you're good to go.  If not take your existing 1" axle (from the 2007 bike) and the new-to-you Brembo bracket to a machine shop and ask them to bore the hole in the bracket to accept the larger axle.  Aluminum and steel don't expand evenly at temp so I shoot for about .005" when doing these.

The parts you'll need are few.  The complete caliper with its brake pads, hardware, and pins.  If you're buying a used one just make sure it's all there as it would have been removed from the bike.  You'll also need the the mounting bracket (that's the piece the axle goes through) and a rubber bumper that goes through it.  And the brake rotor.  The rotor is just a slightly larger diameter with the newer setup.

Your original brake line will connect up just fine.  A couple times I've had to release the hold-down on the original line to get a little more length before tightening that hold-down bracket back down.  Have never had to replace the brake line though.

The pic shows the parts you'd be after.  Just to compare against eBay images or wherever else you might be shopping.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Looked to find an image installed.  This is the Brembo on my Road King installed on its standard 1" axle like would be on your 2007.  Have done the same on my even older Road Glide.  It's an easy bolt on if you can manage getting the hole in the axle bracket out to size. 

Huh, just noticed I'm missing a valve stem cap...  :nixweiss:

trippy

• Full CVO Member

Thanks Guys.
WHUFC   COYI

trippy

• Full CVO Member

Just finnished the install on my 07 CVO Road King, all went well, did have to cut a new Axle spacer due to the new caliper support bracket being thinner than the old, but other than that all went well, one question, I do have quite a long pedal (did always find the rear brake pedal more like an on/off switch so not worried about it) compared to the old, is that normal, or have I not bleed the system properly?  Thanks again for  the info.
WHUFC   COYI

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Just finnished the install on my 07 CVO Road King, all went well, did have to cut a new Axle spacer due to the new caliper support bracket being thinner than the old, but other than that all went well, one question, I do have quite a long pedal (did always find the rear brake pedal more like an on/off switch so not worried about it) compared to the old, is that normal, or have I not bleed the system properly?  Thanks again for  the info.

My personal bikes with this done (two of them) have been done so long I don't have any recollection of pedal feel.  Can only say they feel "normal" with normal being what I'm used to.  I really don't remember anything significantly different in pedal travel though.  Never hurts to bleed it a little more if if you're even mildly considering an issue though.  If the pedal feels solid and doesn't bottom out you're very likely ok.  But, hey, it's brakes.  So rather be safe than sorry.

trippy

• Full CVO Member

Agreed,thanks again.
WHUFC   COYI

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.