Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Check Engine & Temp Light on  (Read 4961 times)

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Check Engine & Temp Light on
« on: August 01, 2020, 10:34:13 AM »

I had my bike in shop for a warranty repair. ( Changed out rocker box cover) Also had them do a brake flush & check radiator fluid levels. Got bike back & when I was riding home the check engine light & temp light came on and noticed the bike was kinda sluggish. ( The temps outside were 100) When I got home I let it cool down & then rolled the throttle 1/2 way and the fans came on. I checked the codes & it came back as P1019. The next morning I rode it again & the lights weren't on at startup but about 15-20 miles down the road they came back on. So I put in trailer and took back to dealer to see what problem is..I don't think anything they did would cause this but who knows..Ive never had this problem in past. Of course I'm about a month out of warranty.. I sure hope its nothing serious... Bike is a 2018 CVO Anniversary.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Check Engine & Temp Light on
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 01:16:06 PM »

It seems the problem is likely related to whatever the dealer  did for your warranty repairs. First thing I would check is the coolant level in the radiators. The dealer could have emptied the coolant and then forgotten to refill.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTC Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 01:31:16 PM »

Do you have the old style coolant pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 01:33:22 PM »

Said all they did was verify fluid level was good in radiator tanks.  I had the brakes flushed and new fluid put in. Hopefully its just something simple causing the lights to come on..
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 01:34:35 PM »

Said all they did was verify fluid level was good in radiator tanks.  I had the brakes flushed and new fluid put in. Hopefully its just something simple causing the lights to come on..

Its a 2018. There is a newer coolant pump out now.??? I knew there was anew oil pump but I replaced that already.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 01:54:22 PM »

Do you have the old style coolant pump?

M8 came with the new style coolant pump

2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 02:19:37 PM »

Your coolant level could be low take off the cam cover side,  lowers cap where the storage used to be on the lowers.  simple to do small screw driver pry lightly.   You check level there. 

Next is sensor or radiator.    I was lucky mine was just low on coolant.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 06:24:52 PM »

Your coolant level could be low take off the cam cover side,  lowers cap where the storage used to be on the lowers.  simple to do small screw driver pry lightly.   You check level there. 

Next is sensor or radiator.    I was lucky mine was just low on coolant.

I sure hope it’s something simple.  Already dropped it off Friday.  They checked the coolant level and all was good.  And I don’t have any leaks.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 09:29:12 PM »

Make certain when you do that radiator fan test to verify the coolant pump is also running.  The pump should also run when you run the test.  There have been a lot of coolant pump failures, but the timing in this case is rather suspect.  No problem, take bike in to shop, on the ride home suddenly have a problem.  Shops have been known to screw up one or more other things when they work on something else, especially if they have to disassemble parts or move wiring out of the way to do what they set out to do.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 11:45:01 PM »

To change out the rocker box cover it is necessary to disconnect the coolant lines from the heads. This introduces air into the lines. When you re-install everything And just “top off” the coolant reservoir, it will not be completely full. Running the engine for 20 mins or so will draw the extra coolant out the reservoir and start the heads to overheat. Run your bike again for the 15-20 minutes as before, and then look at the level in your reservoir. It will be low.

I learned this the hard way when I changed my lower rocker covers out to Color matched powder coated. Took two tries to get the coolant level  correct in the reservoir.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 10:51:42 AM »

To change out the rocker box cover it is necessary to disconnect the coolant lines from the heads. This introduces air into the lines. When you re-install everything And just “top off” the coolant reservoir, it will not be completely full. Running the engine for 20 mins or so will draw the extra coolant out the reservoir and start the heads to overheat. Run your bike again for the 15-20 minutes as before, and then look at the level in your reservoir. It will be low.

I learned this the hard way when I changed my lower rocker covers out to Color matched powder coated. Took two tries to get the coolant level  correct in the reservoir.

What he said ^^^^^.   Getting all the air out of the system was a common issue from day one with the Twin Cooled system, just as it is on many modern automobile engines.  This post makes me wonder just what the shop did, since they claim they only inspected the coolant level and found it to be OK.  Is there some special trick where you can change out rocker covers without removing the coolant lines?  Or a secret method that prevents loss of coolant and introduction of air into the system?  Doubtful.

As previously noted, first recheck the coolant level yourself, then verify the pump is actually running and circulating coolant.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 10:42:58 PM »

Got bike back from shop. Said couldn't find anything that would cause the lights to come on. Said ran full diagnostic on it & all was good. Said the codes were historic. Service guy said if the bike runs lean or rich it would trip the check engine light.. Guess will see once I ride it again. But rite now its just too HOT out to enjoy...Plus I need to have bike tuned since I changed out the cam. I'm pretty sure the lights will come back on once I ride it again...
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 08:11:21 AM »

When was the cam changed?

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 10:16:43 AM »

When was the cam changed?

2 months ago.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2020, 11:51:43 AM »

Did you put a new map or tune when you changed the cam?

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 25 queries.