Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Answers to Problems with the Navigation Interface Module Part # 76000024  (Read 56497 times)

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

In order to attempt to help people with problems they are having with the Boom! Audio Navigation Interface Module Part number 76000024. I hope some of you with problems find this helpful.

Questions I receive about the operation of the Harley Davidson Navigation Module (NIM) Part # 76000024.

First let me say that the H-D Bomm is compatible with the Navigation Interface Module and can be used to take or place cell phone calls using your helmet microphone and the GPS cell phone interface. This and other information can be found at: www.hdbomm.com

I receive at least a dozen phone calls and or emails regarding the operation and or compatibility of the H-D Bomm and the NIM. Most of these questions have to do with the operation of the NIM that is factory or dealer installed. It seams to me that most people including many dealers and Harley techs do not have a clue as to what the NIM does or how it does it so I will attempt to explain it here. If you have a bike with a factory installed NIM then you should find this information interesting. If you purchased a NIM and you installed it then you should not have a problem as long as you installed the Y connector and stereo cable that comes with the NIM kit and you are using the Harley Road Tech GPS with the latest software update 3.70. This update can be found here
www.harley-davidson.com/zumo and click on "Road Tech 660 GPS Navigator", and then the "Downloads" tab to obtain the latest version.

If you purchased a NIM and had the dealer install it then you may find this information interesting if the dealer did not install the Y connector and stereo cable.

If you purchased you NIM kit from a dealer and you are having problems it may be because you purchased one of the early kits. There was an error in the wiring directions included with these early kits which prevents the NIM from working.  Two wires were swapped in the early directions. That could be your problem. It has to do with the Tan/Blue wire and the violet/gray wires needing to be swapped. Tan/blue should go to cavity 31 and violet gray should go to cavity 19. Follow the wiring direction found here:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J05169.pdf

The Harley Boom Navigation Interface Module is an interface that connects to the bikes radio and Harleys Road Tech GPS. You must use the Harley Road Tech GPS with software version 3.70 the Garmin Zumo GPS will not work with the NIM. It functions by interrupting the radio output signal (AM, FM, CD etc.) when a turn prompt from the GPS is present. In other words if you are listening to an FM radio station and you have a turn prompt from the GPS the NIM will turn off the FM and pass the turn prompt to the radio so that you will hear it. After the turn prompt ends the NIM will allow the radio to return to the FM station you were listening to prior to the turn prompt.

There is a reason it is called the Navigation Interface Module. The reason is that it will ONLY interrupt the radios output for a turn (Navigation) prompt. It will NOT interrupt the radios output in order to pass XM, MP3 songs or cell phone calls from the GPS to the radio so that you can hear them.  

In order for you to hear XM, MP3 songs or a cell phone call from the GPS you must have the audio output from the GPS routed to the Auxiliary input of the radio. This is accomplished by installing a Y connector and a 3.5mm stereo cable. The Y connector and stereo cable comes with the NIM kit if you were to purchase the kit from a dealer. The factory does not install or include the Y connector or stereo cable. So if you purchased your bike from the dealer with a factory installed NIM then you will have to install or have the dealer install these two components. You must have a helmet microphone interface (H-D Bomm or equal) installed in order to be able to talk on the cell phone.

You can find the information on how to install the Y connector and stereo cable here:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J05169.pdf

You must have the radio in the Auxiliary input mode of operation (select AUX on the radio) in order to hear MP3 songs, XM or a cell phone call.

I hope I have helped you understand how the NIM works and why you may be having problems with not being able to hear XM, MP3 or a cell phone signals from the GPS.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 01:52:00 PM by bissjim »
Ride It Like You Are Retired

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Answers to Problems with the Navigation Interface Module Part # 76000024
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 09:22:16 AM »

I want to add this to the post above.

Jim Biss knows his stuff.
I rode the 09 SEUC to his home for some work.
His knowledge, experience and excellent work will have me back there someday for whatever new product he builds.
He's a first class operation.
If only he was closer.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 09:40:07 AM »

so if i understand this summary correctly the "NIM" only works for the most basic function of the GPS and only if its the HD GPS. to use any other functionality on the GPS you need to use Aux in like people have always done prior to the "NIM" and just to make it interesting chances are the "NIM" was installed in such a manor that you need to open your fairing to restore basic Aux in functionality like people have always done prior to the "NIM".

:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Marine Aviator

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 12:58:44 PM »

Jim,
      Thanks for the great info.  I hate to ask a stupid question, but this does mean that I can use the NIM on the 2011 SESG correct?  In other words, this solves the claim from the P&A catalog that the NIM DOES NOT work on the 2011 CVO Street Glide?  If so, this is great and I will do this next week.  Please confirm, Thanks a million.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 01:51:29 PM »

so if i understand this summary correctly the "NIM" only works for the most basic function of the GPS and only if its the HD GPS. to use any other functionality on the GPS you need to use Aux in like people have always done prior to the "NIM" and just to make it interesting chances are the "NIM" was installed in such a manor that you need to open your fairing to restore basic Aux in functionality like people have always done prior to the "NIM".

You are correct.  :2vrolijk_21:

Jim

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 01:56:37 PM »

Jim,
      Thanks for the great info.  I hate to ask a stupid question, but this does mean that I can use the NIM on the 2011 SESG correct?  In other words, this solves the claim from the P&A catalog that the NIM DOES NOT work on the 2011 CVO Street Glide?  If so, this is great and I will do this next week.  Please confirm, Thanks a million.

If you have the Harmon Kardon Advanced Radio System on your bike and the Road Tech GPS I see no reason why it will not work.

Jim

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 05:34:45 PM »

Electrically, the reason for the exclusion of the SESG2 is due to the absence of the 6B connector on the fairing/interconnect harness that is used by the non-Ultra overlay harness, p/n 70169-06, or the smaller harness, p/n 69200033, either of which is required for the NIM installation.  The installation instructions are in this link and reference these harnesses:

Here's the wiring diagram for use of the 6920033 harness showing the 6B connector:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/harleypingman/2011%20Wiring%20Diagrams/69200033harness10002.jpg[/img]]

There are easy work arounds for the missing 6B connector which has allowed others to install XM and CB modules which also require the 6B connector on their SESG2's.  Hopefully, they can chime in.

Carl

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Summer Rain" 07/24/1963 - 07/07/2010

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 - Cherry Red w/ Flames and Glass Eyed Skulls
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHTK - Cherry Red Sunglo / Merlot Sunglo w/ Flamin' Eagle Theme
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 06:11:45 PM »

Great thread, great source of information, well organized taking what has been learned thus far.  Great work!  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

Thought I'd add one additional item for those that have not yet made the connection.

The audio output from the GPS is routed to the NIM so the NIM can listen to the interrupt signal from the GPS and then pass the audio it hears to the radio.  This is how the NIM knows when to interrupt whatever audio source your listening to.  It is also why it only works with the HD version of the GPS as the regular versions do not have the code to send the interruption signal.

The audio routed to the radio when the NIM is active is a mono source.  So the Y-cable is installed so the same audio output from the GPS can be routed to the aux line to allow the other audio signals to be listened to in stereo.

Helpful tip.  If your listening to say XM from the GPS then switch over to CD, there's a good chance that the XM audio stream to the NIM will eventually simulate the interruption signal and turn your radio into a really bad sounding XM mono station.  The GPS apparently uses an analog interruption signal and not something more discreet like a digital signal.  Therefore, always turn off or mute any audio sources on the GPS if your not actively listening to it.  ;D
2009 FXSTSSE3
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Chubby Drag Bars/V&H 2-1 Big Radius/ThunderMax

2011 FLHTK
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Bagger Bars
V&H Duals w/ M. Ovals, Ness AC, PC-V Auto Tune and SEPST Base Tune
V&H ThrottlePak
SE Pro Stage III - 10.5:1, SE259E
HD Mirrors w/ LED Aux Running
HD LED Lighting: 7" w/ Bezel Trim, 4" Aux, Turn Sigs (Smk Frnt, Red Rear), Tail Light (Chrome), Fenders (Smk Frnt, Red Rear w/Brake)
Zumo 665 - Fairing Mnt - NIM
Boom Audio Spks, Amp, Bass Booster
Chromed Out

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Summer Rain" 07/24/1963 - 07/07/2010

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 - Cherry Red w/ Flames and Glass Eyed Skulls
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHTK - Cherry Red Sunglo / Merlot Sunglo w/ Flamin' Eagle Theme
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 06:34:21 PM »

Yup  :2vrolijk_21:

Essentially, it at first appeared the NIM would improve the GPS and clean up the wiring; however, it is actually the opposite.  It improves your radio in that you can use any audio source and still have the basic function of the GPS work - navigational prompts.

The alternative is that you are stuck using the GPS audio sources when using the GPS for navigation, as you would have to leave your radio on the AUX selection.

I have a feeling that this product is a result of the IPOD addon they created.  The Moco realized that to have the IPOD music play and still allow the GPS to navigate, they needed to bridge the gap to create their vision of the next gen CVO.  Consequently, their design only took this into account, their factory wiring reflects this design goal (both the NIM and IPOD use a common wiring harness to get audio to the radio - no need for the aux line), and their are bugs in the system as a result (in-avertent NIM interruptions).  Even so, the product is well worth it if you don't like being forced to listen to just the GPS when using it for navigation.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 06:53:47 PM by Envithyx »
2009 FXSTSSE3
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Chubby Drag Bars/V&H 2-1 Big Radius/ThunderMax

2011 FLHTK
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Bagger Bars
V&H Duals w/ M. Ovals, Ness AC, PC-V Auto Tune and SEPST Base Tune
V&H ThrottlePak
SE Pro Stage III - 10.5:1, SE259E
HD Mirrors w/ LED Aux Running
HD LED Lighting: 7" w/ Bezel Trim, 4" Aux, Turn Sigs (Smk Frnt, Red Rear), Tail Light (Chrome), Fenders (Smk Frnt, Red Rear w/Brake)
Zumo 665 - Fairing Mnt - NIM
Boom Audio Spks, Amp, Bass Booster
Chromed Out

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 06:59:51 AM »

Electrically, the reason for the exclusion of the SESG2 is due to the absence of the 6B connector on the fairing/interconnect harness that is used by the non-Ultra overlay harness, p/n 70169-06, or the smaller harness, p/n 69200033, either of which is required for the NIM installation.  The installation instructions are in this link and reference these harnesses:

Carl

Thanks for that info Carl.

If you have an SESG then look at the wiring diagram for the NIM, all wires go to connector 28 on the back of the radio. You can connect the NIM directly to these wires on connector 28.  You do not need connector 6B to install the NIM.

Jim

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 07:17:40 AM »

Great thread, great source of information, well organized taking what has been learned thus far.  Great work!  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

This is how the NIM knows when to interrupt whatever audio source your listening to.  It is also why it only works with the HD version of the GPS as the regular versions do not have the code to send the interruption signal.

I am currectly working on resolving this issue so that the NIM will work with a normal Zumo. Just a few more bugs to work out.

Jim

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 10:23:30 AM »

A work around for the absence of the 6B connector is shown in this thread (see reply #17) for installing the XM module on an SESG2:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=56722.msg826700;topicseen#msg826700

The NIM module work around will be the same with respect to four wires: power/ground/Can + and -.  Whether you make these taps/splices in the Ipod harness or directly to the wires in the 28 connector doesn't make any difference electrically; they are the same circuits.  You can identify the NIM-specific connections to 28 using the wiring diagrams for the bikes that have the NIM as OEM equipment on the '11 CVO RGU and EGU in this thread:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=53364.0

Looks like pinout 28 "Nim audio" will do the trick.

Carl

Marine Aviator

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 09:49:07 PM »

You guys are great!  I have the HD RoadTech 665 with XM.  I was disappointed that I couldn't utilize all of the functions of this GPS in a cleaner fashion than connecting to the aux.  I will be cut and pasting all of your great advice into a word doc and installing the NIM on my bike soon.  Thanks again.

Randy C

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 SERG Silver and Titanium Dust

• CVO1: 09 Serg Silver Titanium Dust V&H power header,TT race tuner,Fullsac 2.25 baffles,Windsvest windshield,Mustang seat,Garman 665gps,Riders claw
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 11:36:54 AM »

I have a 09 SERG ,I am adding a xm radio from HD and I have a Garmin zumo 660 with 4.10 update,I called Garmin and they told me the only difference between the zumo 660 and the roadtech was dealership locaions.I read on here that it won't work.I have the ultra wiring harness and the 69003 ? along with the interface.I got the xm working but am lost as to wiring in the interface and now I don't know if the zumo will work any help would be appreciated.
Growing old isn't for sissys and growing up  isn't an option!

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 03:40:58 PM »

Great thread, great source of information, well organized taking what has been learned thus far.  Great work!     

This is how the NIM knows when to interrupt whatever audio source your listening to.  It is also why it only works with the HD version of the GPS as the regular versions do not have the code to send the interruption signal.

I am currectly working on resolving this issue so that the NIM will work with a normal Zumo. Just a few more bugs to work out.

Jim

Let me know when you have the problem worked out with using a Zumo 665.  I've got one setting on the shelf that I would like to put to use! 
 :2vrolijk_21:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 25 queries.