Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harley EVO Milage Longevity  (Read 8550 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Harley EVO Milage Longevity
« on: November 16, 2013, 05:22:34 PM »

I was at my favourite bike shop yesterday. There was 1985 FXR with over 358,000 miles.  Bike was dirty, motor was completely stock. It was getting new stock cam and lifters. The nose cone divots were still in place. Original bottom end and top end too! Man was a Army mechanic. He changed tires, belts, oil, brake pads and normal parts that wear. I was Amazed! He called the local Harley dealer and asked it they had any 99 and earlier EVO derssers and the lady said why do you want an old bike like that. She did not know what a EVO was! I see USED EVO derssers selling higher than than much newer TC.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: Harley EVO Milage Longevity
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 11:59:10 AM »

I'd be hard pressed to think that the lifters, or lifter rollers, had not been changed out during that period of long service.
Scott

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 12:46:12 PM »

+1 on the lifters being swapped out.  It's the rare set that makes it to 100K, let alone 300K.   Same for some of the gaskets.  The early evo's had some issues.  Not sure what a nose cone divot is, but if you mean the blind retained rivets in the timer cover, then that's not all that strange.  Dealers would replace them during service.  And a DoD wrench would have probably insisted that they be reinstalled.   

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 08:03:22 PM »

We re-rivet the points cover back on after a dyno tune here.
Scott

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 11:11:47 PM »

EVO one of my favourite engines.
I purchases a new 1997 Ultra Classic and its part of my collection, engine is all stock except for the cam upgraded.
Bike was under power stock and the first and only thing I have done to the Engine is a cam upgrade and genuine HD slipons, this gave it a new lease in life.

With only 28000klms its the same as it was when it come of the show room floor, original front tire and on its second rear tire.
However I don't ride it anymore and its proudly parked in my bike room, fully air conditioned and heated.
I do my own services on all my bikes and the oil is always golden in colour on an oil change.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:14:45 PM by Aussie »

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 09:43:42 PM »

I agree it's highly unlikely. I'd say the top end most likely would've been replaced possibly more than 1 time. I know a guy east of the shop about an hour that has an evo road king with 378k on the stock lower end but the top end had been rebuilt and was on it's 3rd round last time I rode with him probably 2 summers ago now. I believe if you clock 1 million miles, MoCo will give you a new bike in exchange for your million mile bike for their museum or so I'm told.
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

Squires

• Squires
    • CT

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 10:49:23 AM »

I have a 1996 FXDL that has 90k on it. A lifter recently let go which means time for some upgrades.
I also have a 1989 Ultra Classic in my shop that has 117k on it. The owner replaced cam and lifters @ 92k, bike still runs very well.
Harley-Davidson Technician, love bikes and the life, If I'm not riding, I'm wrenching!

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 24 queries.