Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: FLHTCUSE troubles  (Read 6882 times)

Goretto

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

Re: FLHTCUSE troubles
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 09:49:22 AM »

The oil in the intake you may need to pull the rocker covers and check the CCP release dieiframs between the rocker shafts if they are faulty they'll let oil  be pulled into the intake

My 3 pents worth

It's been a little while but believe it or not, I am still chasing this issue.

Turns out I may have bought a lemon...

Anyway, when you talked about the CCP diaphragm, I didn't quite understand what you meant. My mechanic mentioned this problem as the breather diaphragm being busted (I got somehow lost in translation between Indonesian and English).

So this is what I did so far:
- Changed the oil to Harley SAE60
- Got the bike re-mapped to run leaner

The issue diminished slightly but is still there. The coughing through the air cleaner still happens but much less and it's not as difficult to start back.

The overheating issues still persist: if I ride around for a while and then hit some stop and go traffic (happens all the time in Jakarta), the bike will stall when I stop.

After more researches, I went back to my mechanic to investigate further. We looked at the condition of various sensors, they seemed to be fine. We checked the error codes both on the odometer and by hooking up the bike to the computer: none. That's when he got the idea of spraying carb cleaner near the intake ports on the cylinder: it got sucked right in and the engine died.

So he pulled everything out and indeed the seals at the intakes were in poor condition. We also took this opportunity to change the breather diaphragms. But we also found something very interesting: the electric connector to the IAC was rubbish. It seems that the previous owner had to change this part but couldn't find the right male socket so he hacked it together and "sealed" the hole with silicon.

So the mechanic is cleaning up the intake assembly including the IAC, sensors and injectors, changing the seals, putting new diaphragm and seals on the breather and changing the connector to the IAC. Then we will test and see if there is any progress.

I will report back.

Goretto

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 09:52:24 AM »

2 more things:

1. About the compensator: when the mechanic changed the stator, he checked the compensator and did not notice anything wrong with it.

2. About the clapping noise, this is more what my bike sounds like:

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2019, 01:42:53 PM »

to run at 45mph and in stop and go traffic in temps above 70f you REALLY REALLY need a cooling fan. HD made one, there are aftermarket ones. but everything you comment about screams "too hot"  i resisted a fan for years - finally put one on my 2007 in 2008 - should have done that first thing on my 2001.. when it gets hot the fan runs and the engine calms right down, if you go to start it and the fan instantly comes on its heat soaked. the fan will run continuously till it cools down - there IS a downside to the fan, it does not charge "at all" when the fan is running at idle, you need to be moving to charge.  if you keep overheating it you will spend a PILE of money fixing the engine - its air cooled and not designed to run at very low speeds - 45 is fine as long as the rpm is kept up, but stop and go will really overheat the engine. valve guides, valve seals, cylinders, pistons, bearings, can all be cooked but operating at too low a speed in too high a temp.  HD 50 is fine - but its only good for a couple thousand miles at high temp. in the 70's one 100 degree day and change the oil. if the oil smells burnt - change it. the oil change intervals in the manual are for "normal" use - not stop and go in heat.

Goretto

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 10:31:39 PM »

to run at 45mph and in stop and go traffic in temps above 70f you REALLY REALLY need a cooling fan. HD made one, there are aftermarket ones. but everything you comment about screams "too hot"  i resisted a fan for years - finally put one on my 2007 in 2008 - should have done that first thing on my 2001.. when it gets hot the fan runs and the engine calms right down, if you go to start it and the fan instantly comes on its heat soaked. the fan will run continuously till it cools down - there IS a downside to the fan, it does not charge "at all" when the fan is running at idle, you need to be moving to charge.  if you keep overheating it you will spend a PILE of money fixing the engine - its air cooled and not designed to run at very low speeds - 45 is fine as long as the rpm is kept up, but stop and go will really overheat the engine. valve guides, valve seals, cylinders, pistons, bearings, can all be cooked but operating at too low a speed in too high a temp.  HD 50 is fine - but its only good for a couple thousand miles at high temp. in the 70's one 100 degree day and change the oil. if the oil smells burnt - change it. the oil change intervals in the manual are for "normal" use - not stop and go in heat.

I understand however I've met people with the same bike in Jakarta and they have no such trouble and no cooling fans either.

I agree that running fans would be better but they are not readily available here (which boggles the mind, considering the conditions) and very expensive to import.

So for now, I would like to at least fix the problem.

Something else I've noticed recently while playing around with the tuning software at my usual garage (they use Techno Research Centurion/DirectLink :

The ECM part number listed is 32498-05A (2006 V-Rod).

However the correct parts number for a 2006 FLHTCUSE is 32852-06 or 32534-11.

Could this be the source of my troubles?

Goretto

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2019, 12:43:57 AM »

Although, while the diagnostic software shows the "wrong" part number for the ECM, it does show the correct VIN.

How is this possible? I have very little understanding of this.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2019, 09:04:29 PM »

exactly what year is the bike??

a bunch of years look the same - but the problems are more year specific.   not to mention all the mind boggling detail changes from year to year.

Goretto

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2019, 04:37:04 AM »

It's a 2006 bike.

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 07:00:16 AM »

My money is still on compensator. You can't always tell it is bad by just looking at it. Check spring stack height. Springs get weak. It will also make more noise during hot starts as you described.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

Goretto

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2019, 09:45:53 PM »

My money is still on compensator. You can't always tell it is bad by just looking at it. Check spring stack height. Springs get weak. It will also make more noise during hot starts as you described.

Thank you for your feedback.

The starting issues when hot aren't so bad anymore.

The most pressing problem is losing idle when hot. Could this also be due to a bad compensator?

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2019, 10:24:22 PM »

Thank you for your feedback.

The starting issues when hot aren't so bad anymore.

The most pressing problem is losing idle when hot. Could this also be due to a bad compensator?

I doubt the compensator would effect the idle. There is a cold idle and a hot idle setting. Maybe the tune and idle settings? I know little to nothing about tuning. There are some  very knowledgeable people on this site that can probably point you in the right direction . Good luck
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

Goretto

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2019, 08:15:11 AM »

I doubt the compensator would effect the idle. There is a cold idle and a hot idle setting. Maybe the tune and idle settings? I know little to nothing about tuning. There are some  very knowledgeable people on this site that can probably point you in the right direction . Good luck

I'm looking into tuning the bike at the moment. Might just bring it to a tuner and see exactly what's going on.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2019, 09:37:08 AM »

Check intake seals for leaks, these will cause idle issues.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2019, 12:20:20 PM »

Check intake seals for leaks, these will cause idle issues.
Absolutely will. Chased an idle problem for months after being told by dealer tech they were checked and verified not leaking. Another tech at sister dealership finally found what he called a small intake leak. What had caused significant problems was easily remedied after correct diagnosis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Goretto

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2019, 09:14:56 PM »

We did diagnose an intake seal leak and replaced said seals. But the idling when hot issue persists.

It's possible it wasn't reassembled properly, I'll check again.

When bringing the bike at the tuner, he should be able to check for a lean condition by measuring actual AFR at the exhaust, right ?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:17:50 PM by Goretto »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 25 queries.