Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Dunlop D220 vs D205 rear tire for '06 FLSTFSE2  (Read 8204 times)

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
Re: Dunlop D220 vs D205 rear tire for '06 FLSTFSE2
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 06:02:08 AM »

Kona,

So tell me what are the actuall tyre sizes you have fitted? You are confusing me now you said it is lower & need a 2x4 now to get the lift under???Cheers
Aussie

Aussie,

ME880  140/70 HB 18 front
ME880  160/60 VR 18 rear

I think that is right, I know tires on cars, but I don't know motorcycle variance off the top of my old head.  Aussie, I was so damn close to getting a fatty rear end like Mick the Prick...seconds changed my mind. Just some common sense overwhelmed me, and I went with the hardware you have seen.  I wanted a fatty rear so bad and so long now, but without firm resources to count on, like a trick quality painter, I just had to let it go.

And if those are the right numbers, It does sit low or lower because the first thing I tried to do was jack it up with the new tires and everything and inspect ya know? but the motorcycle jack just wasn't able to slide under without lumber. 
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 12:21:31 AM »

Aussie,

ME880  140/70 HB 18 front
ME880  160/60 VR 18 rear

I think that is right, I know tires on cars, but I don't know motorcycle variance off the top of my old head.  Aussie, I was so damn close to getting a fatty rear end like Mick the Prick...seconds changed my mind. Just some common sense overwhelmed me, and I went with the hardware you have seen.  I wanted a fatty rear so bad and so long now, but without firm resources to count on, like a trick quality painter, I just had to let it go.

And if those are the right numbers, It does sit low or lower because the first thing I tried to do was jack it up with the new tires and everything and inspect ya know? but the motorcycle jack just wasn't able to slide under without lumber. 

Kona,

According to my calculations the stock 150/80 x 16 is just under 1/8 inch taller overall than the 160/60 x 18 you put on so that confirms what the experts told you about the speedo but that must mean your lift only just made it under before & now that it is a fraction lower it has caused you to use the lumber under the rear wheel.

Cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 04:50:38 AM »

Kona,

According to my calculations the stock 150/80 x 16 is just under 1/8 inch taller overall than the 160/60 x 18 you put on so that confirms what the experts told you about the speedo but that must mean your lift only just made it under before & now that it is a fraction lower it has caused you to use the lumber under the rear wheel.

Cheers
Aussie

Aussie,

That's true, it was difficult to slide under originally. I remember picking up the frame slightly while working the lift under. It's much easier with two sets of hands, but I always get stuck doing it myself. However, the fraction being slightly lower has made the usual circus act of solo jacking a chore. I thought I had gained weight or something. So I fixed a section of 2X4 into a ramp; like a wheel chock with at flat top and real low to the ground. It works for the humble mechanic in me.

But the OCD Fool in me wants to chrome the damn thing. And the Motorcycle Lift too. OH, and I went to Light Beer too.

I'm sick, but getting better at feeding this OCD thing....

Kona76

FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

Brent

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 11:03:37 AM »

aabokla,
You posted that you put the Metzeler ME 880 Marathon on the rear.  What size did you put on it?  I got a hole in my rear last night on my '06 Screamin' Eagle Fat Boy and need a new tire.  Do you still like the tire?  Please let me know as soon as possible!!

Everyone,
Does anyone have any other suggestions on a new rear tire they like.  Please let me know brand model and size.  Thanks for all the help!!!

Brent
2006 Autumn Haze FLSTFSE2

Brent

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 02:03:02 PM »

I have talked to the stealer and they said the Metzeler ME880 Marathon that comes for my bike would be a 210/50 R17.  Their big concern is that the wider tire might not clear the belt.  And they won't let me return the tire if it doesn't fit, because it is a special order!  Therefore I would have to switch to a 1 1/4" belt.

Has anyone with an '06 SE Fat Boy put this tire on the rear?

Did it fit without any other alterations?

The quicker I get your responses the better cause my baby is sitting in the garage with a flat shoe.  I really want the Metzeler but if it doesn't work without mods then I will get the Dunlop.

aabokla

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 09:57:03 AM »

The metzeler 210/50 R17 is what I put on mine and it's still a winner! It will fit without any modification but it comes mighty close to the belt, mighty close. You might want to check around on the net for tire prices as the stealer wanted to charge me full MSRP of $240 but I found them for about $160 at http://www.americanmototire.com. With ground shipping the total price delivered to my door was right around $175.

Adrian

Brent

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 09:02:29 PM »

Thanks!  :dankk2:  That's perfect because I ordered it Thursday and it should be here on Monday.  The dealer wanted $236 plus tax and Dennis Kirk matched an online company for $175 including shipping.  It is scheduled to be installed on Tuesday.  Can't wait, already missed a weekend of riding.

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2007, 09:40:04 PM »

aabokla,
You posted that you put the Metzeler ME 880 Marathon on the rear.  What size did you put on it?  I got a hole in my rear last night on my '06 Screamin' Eagle Fat Boy and need a new tire.  Do you still like the tire?  Please let me know as soon as possible!!

Everyone,
Does anyone have any other suggestions on a new rear tire they like.  Please let me know brand model and size.  Thanks for all the help!!!

Brent

Same thing happened to me a couple of months ago, the hole was a tiny pin hole on the tread you could not even see it, thought the tire just lost air so I filled it up and two days later it was flat again, this time I knew there was a problem, so I got the hose out and put her up on the lift and spun the tire as I wet it down, low and behold the smallest pin hole I ever saw  >:( >:(  How the hell did that happen and not leave something in the tire, I'm still pondering this. its really hard to believe that something that small punctured the tire unless there was some kind of defect in the tire, and then I'm thinking that the MoCo should have paid for this.
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

Brent

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 12:14:44 PM »

Same problem here.  There should have been something left in the tire. :confused5:  But nothing just a hole after 4,000 miles?  There's not much I can do but replace it.  This time with a different tire.

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 01:14:12 PM »

Same problem here.  There should have been something left in the tire. :confused5:  But nothing just a hole after 4,000 miles?  There's not much I can do but replace it.  This time with a different tire.

are you serious, was yours exactly like mine, bullchit thats a tire defect and I'm going to get my money back  >:(

Brent

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 05:55:06 PM »

Let me know how that works out for you.  I will jump on that band wagon  :trailer: in a heart beat if there are more people with the same problem!!!!!

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

defective Dunlop D220 vs D205 rear tire for '06 FLSTFSE2
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007, 07:03:12 PM »

Let me know how that works out for you.  I will jump on that band wagon  :trailer: in a heart beat if there are more people with the same problem!!!!!

I contacted my dealer and told him the story, he said he needs the tire to do anything, its been two months since its been replaced and hes not sure if he will be able to find it, but if we can find a few people with the same problem it could help establish the fact that it was a manufacturing defect and give me some ammo  :rifle: against dungflop

Brent

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007, 12:23:35 AM »

Mine will be hard to prove since I shoved chewed gum, a cloth bandaid and a bicycle tire repair kit rubber tube in the hole and inflated it to get me home.  I used an allen wrench to shove it all in there.  They called me McGyver  :idea:.  Before anyone says anything I know that was NOT safe but I did what I needed to, I was about 10 miles from home and it worked.  I called Harley Roadside Assistance and they would not air it up, they wanted to tow it.  I love my paint job too much to let some jackass  :joker: strap it to a truck.

speedy

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 CVO Fatboy
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 03:06:54 AM »

I`ll be interested to know what you think of the Metzler as I need a new set too.
I`m thinking of going to the 150 for the front, only because they dont have a 140 and I think Metzlers are a bit smaller when compared to Dunlops of the same width.
Anyone else tried this? :nixweiss:

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 04:34:16 AM »

I`ll be interested to know what you think of the Metzler as I need a new set too.
I`m thinking of going to the 150 for the front, only because they dont have a 140 and I think Metzlers are a bit smaller when compared to Dunlops of the same width.
Anyone else tried this? :nixweiss:

Speedy,

I am running a Metz 150/60 x 16 on the rear at the moment I rekon it hangs on a bit better than the Dunlop did. I also have a Metz 200/60 x 16 to fit with my rear end conversion. I like the Avon tyres too, but could not get a 200/60 x16.

Cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.