Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 06 FLSTFSE HP  (Read 8713 times)

speediseverything

06 FLSTFSE HP
« on: November 16, 2008, 11:21:16 PM »

I am looking to do a few mods to my 06 SE fat boy, it already has V&H long shots and has great throttle response and never coughs or stumbles at any throttle position. Looking to spen roughly 1k - $1500.
DREAM AS THOUGH YOU WILL LIVE FOREVER
LIVE AS THOUGH YOU WILL DIE TOMORROW

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
Re: 06 FLSTFSE HP
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 05:54:09 AM »

I am looking to do a few mods to my 06 SE fat boy, it already has V&H long shots and has great throttle response and never coughs or stumbles at any throttle position. Looking to spen roughly 1k - $1500.

I would suggest zippers 575 gear drive cams with andrews gear drive, zippers adjustable push rods, feuling oil pump & lifters & a zippers thundermax auto tune ECM. (not too sure how your budget is looking now) If you are still not happy you can simply add the zippers NADS to the existing zippers autotune you already have for a 30 hp boost when you fell you need it.

Cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

screamin eagle

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 03:16:19 PM »

I would suggest zippers 575 gear drive cams with andrews gear drive, zippers adjustable push rods, feuling oil pump & lifters & a zippers thundermax auto tune ECM. (not too sure how your budget is looking now) If you are still not happy you can simply add the zippers NADS to the existing zippers autotune you already have for a 30 hp boost when you fell you need it.

Cheers
Aussie

I would stay away from Fueling oil pump and Lifters. Too many failures for the lifters. Many test have been Performed and the OEM lifters with the Stock oil pump with Zippers upgrade on the spring is the way to go.  I have zippers cams in my 113" with the above and had no problems for 9,000 miles. Read Hoist post on his rebuild to suggestions on lifters.

Later Screamin Eagle.

speediseverything

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 09:57:31 PM »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 10:19:26 PM »

:smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg::smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg::smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg::smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg:
You should at least tell them why. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 12:23:05 AM »

You should at least tell them why. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

OK, I'm all buckled in; let 'er rip.  :vrolijk_11:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 12:24:44 AM »

OK, I'm all buckled in; let 'er rip.  :vrolijk_11:

It sucks.

speediseverything

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 01:00:57 AM »

I thought that Zippers was the way to go, so i guess just the 575 cams and a zippers thundermax auto tune, are the adjustable pushrods a must ??. Should i also put the heavy breather on it ?? Just trying to get all my facts straight before i order the parts. Thanks guys.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 01:07:37 AM »

It sucks.

Damn, that was anticlimactic! I was expecting singed nose hair and eyebrows. I have noticed that if you open your window on a calm night, you can hear the sucking sound all the way from….aw crap, this won’t end well…my bad…never mind. :skull:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 01:17:31 AM »

I thought that Zippers was the way to go, so i guess just the 575 cams and a zippers thundermax auto tune, are the adjustable pushrods a must ??. Should i also put the heavy breather on it ?? Just trying to get all my facts straight before i order the parts. Thanks guys.

The 575 cams have proved to be a very nice set of cams for the 103" motor.  Pull early and hard.  No complaints.  Their "ProTaper" pushrods are very stout also.  Though, even with being adjustable, they are not quick install.  Still have to raise the rockers or remove the lifter blocks to get them in.

The Thundermax, on the other hand, has been far from a panacea for many.  And an absolutely worthless pain in the ass for several.  Almost no third parties can tune with.  The base map library is iffy.  And if the base map isn't very very close the autotuning function doesn't have the range to bring it home.  Even when it does have the range it guesses wrong far too often.  Lots of guys have had trouble with.  I've kept a list that's now gone to 15 that spent the money for it and pulled it off because they could just never get it to perform as it should.  If there's a problem the company has repeatedly proved to be worthless too.

Some have had good luck with hardware.  Those of us that did not certainly envy them.  But far far far too many had difficulty with the product.  And if you do god help you getting any effective support out of the company.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 01:32:15 AM »

Damn, that was anticlimactic! I was expecting singed nose hair and eyebrows. I have noticed that if you open your window on a calm night, you can hear the sucking sound all the way from….aw crap, this won’t end well…my bad…never mind. :skull:

Sorry DJ.  I try to block it out.  I was one of the first stupid assholes that Zippers asked to bend over and accept this package guinea pigs for this package.  The problems were several.  The problems were of two types also.  Products and service.

On the service side the company was incredibly slow (even by motorcycle vendor standards) filling the order.  And they just flat lied several times in the process about what they'd have and when they'd have it.  Saying whatever was necessary at the time to pacify the moment.  Their service and support efforts after the fact are suggested in the post I wrote immediately prior to this.

On the product side it was also a catastrophe.  The initial machine work provided by them as part of this package or kit was like something out of a high school machine shop class.  The cylinders looked fine.  But the valve job on the heads was so poor I did it again here before using them.  Seats were cut so deep you knew the heads would be back off.  The final cuts and polishing of the chambers looked like they'd come straight from the CNC machine and that the machine had been cutting with a dull tool.

The package in combination also had issues.  After much discussion, research, private chats and other discovery I found out that above and beyond the poor quality of the head's machine work the basic geometry they were creating for them was very poor also.  Slow.  Gagging.

Their response to this was to band aid the package with a far larger cam than they'd originally told me to expect as part of the package.  Larger (and unmarked in any way) than they told me I had when parts arrived.  The effect of their 657 cam in the little 103 motor with their head package was to create a bike that was literally unrideable in warmer weather. 

The work was done during a February.  Through March to mid April it was ok.  Once temps hit 70-75 you'd get detonation.  Significant.  Once you got to 85 or ambient you really couldn't ride the bike.  It would've hurt itself.  It also could not be detuned such to really be anything you'd want to ride out on the highway.  The engine combination just didn't play well together.  Several hours dyno time couldn't make it manageable.

The dyno time was a band aid attempt after bailing on their Thundermax.  It couldn't come close to managing the combination.  In fact it often added timing and made it worse rather than leaning the other way.  And the company was worthless.

Finally un-Zippered the bike and did The ButtonFly Resurrection.  That time I did as I should have the first time and completed my own homework on everything.  Brought my own bits together without relying on the reputation of someone else's shop and that their "package" would in fact play well together.

Mine wasn't the only similar experience with that 103 Muscle Kit.  Unfortunately so.  They might have changed the package some since those early efforts.  That I can not say.  But from what I've read and heard since I don't think so.  God help anyone who makes an attempt at that package.

speediseverything

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 01:52:52 AM »

Thanks for all the info guys. Can i get a list of the mods i should go with. My Vance& Hines long shots really work well just looking for a titch more to outrun my 110 buddies.   

575 cams
heavy breather
programmer ?????

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 02:04:04 AM »

Thanks for all the info guys. Can i get a list of the mods i should go with. My Vance& Hines long shots really work well just looking for a titch more to outrun my 110 buddies.   

575 cams
heavy breather
programmer ?????

Just saw answered the PM but realize now missed one thing.  Suggested that (as much as I don't care for the company) their 575 cams for the 103 are a nice product.  Good early torque that stays in long enough to be fun.  The Yuill Brothers cam for the 103 is a good option also.  Slightly better top end but comes in a bit later.

Either cam with a good air cleaner and good exhaust will make a 103" motor and its rider very happy.  That is if it's tuned properly.  Which bring up your "programmer" question.

The Mastertune product has gotten a lot of write up here lately.  It all sounds very promising too.  Jim (HD-Dude) always has good things to say about the Twin-Tec tuning product as well.  So both of those must be options worth more homework if you're looking for a "programmer," i.e., something to tune the bike with on your own. 

If you're considering having it dyno tuned, however, then don't worry about the quesiton.  Worry about the tuner.  Find whomever is recognized as best within whatever distance you're willing to travel.  Ask him what tuning device he uses.  And buy that.  It's that simple.  You're paying somone else for their expertise.  There's no reason not to give him the tool he'll do the best job with.

speediseverything

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 03:19:02 AM »

Thanks, i am in rockford il and i am willing to travel to get it tuned right. Does anybody have a tuner that they swear by is really really good. Looks like i will be going with the setup below.

575 cams
Heavy breather
Mastertune programmer
Vance&Hines Long Shots   
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 03:32:55 AM by speediseverything »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.