Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Rocky Mountain Tour 2020  (Read 8109 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Rocky Mountain Tour 2020
« on: July 05, 2020, 01:49:04 PM »

I left our home near Tucson at sun up on Jun 12 and returned Jul 2, 2020.  This solo ride would take me 4,673 miles before I got back home.  A bucket list ride of the Rocky Mountains here in the US with the added motivation of the fact that it had already been in the triple digit tempretures for several weeks by the time I left.

I left and headed east, through Globe to Show Low.  I wanted to get up high in the elevation as soon as possible so that I could ride more comfortable and I was successful.  As it turned out, I rode the entire trip very comfortable.  I had a few hours of high temps, rain and cold but never a long period of time.....I was fortunate.

My first day was only 208 miles up to Show Low, Az. Best Western.

Daylight, loaded and ready to ride..........

Riding through Tucson and Oracle, I can already see the smoke from the Bighorn Fire in the distance.  This fire had been burning for four or five days when I left on Jun 12th.  As of yesterday, this fire is 73% contained and has already cost $37 million!

https://kvoa.com/uncategorized/2020/07/04/bighorn-fire-now-73-percent-contained-cost-over-37-million/

My goall was to stay off the interstate freeways as much as possible and just ride the backroads and two lane highways.   On the long haul rides, I've always scheduled to many miles each day so it was an additional goal of trying to keep it in the 200-300 miles max. a day so that I  had time for plenty of stops and to explore things of interest along the way.

Arizona landscape changes greatly as you move around the state.....so does the altitude.  Many people are surprised to learn that Mt. Lemmon, thirty miles outside of Tucson is 8,200' elevation.

Finally got up in to the pines where it's much cooler than down below.....

First night was the Show Low Best Western.  210 miles and five hours of riding (and stopping).

The next morning I headed out before sunrise.  I wanted to be on the road to catch some of those famous Arizona sunrise shots......Arizona really does have consistently the best sunrise and sunset kodak moments of all of the places I've been on this continent.

From Show Low I headed north on Az 77 through Holbrook and Burnside to Many Farms where I turned left on Az 59 towards Kayenta and Monument Valley, Mexican Hat, etc.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 09:28:43 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Re: Rocky Mountain Tour 2020
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 01:49:23 PM »

We are getting very close to Monument Valley and the Navajo Tribal Park where many, many of the old western movies were filmed.....

The Navajo Tribal Park and all that it has to offer was closed.  However, they did send out their offical pack leader to greet me.....

It has been said that the Navajo Code Talkers won WWII for us.....their code talk certainly helped to win more than a few battles.  It was the only code that the Japanese couldn't break the code.....

And the famous Forest Gump location......

The San Juan River at Mexican Hat, Utah....

And the actual Mexican Hat Rock......

My second night was at the Super 8 in Blanding, Utah.  275 miles and 6 Hrs. on the road.  Being a Super 8, I wasn't expecting much but I got the free upgrade so I got a room that had a jacuzzi tub in it.  Second full day on the road.......it was much appreciated! 

It started raining about fifteen minutes after I unloaded.  It rained pretty good for a couple of hours but I was inside and my bike was under the portal in front!  Out early the next morning and everything was dry.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 05:01:14 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 01:49:40 PM »

By the way, due to low occupancy of all of the hotels (due to Covid 19) and my membership status with Best Western, Wyndham and Choice Hotels, I got a free upgrade at every hotel that I stayed at.  All of the chain hotels from these three chains were paid for with my points.  The few private hotels and motels that I stayed at I did have to pay for.

We're in Moab, Utah here.  Rode around a bit then passed on through.....

I blew right by Arches National Park.  Had been there in the past and wanted to get through the two big cities that were in front of me, Provo and Salt Lake City.

Castle Gate RV Park, Helper, Utah.    This is where I went to Junion High School (I noticed they now call it Middle School) and where I became a teenager, turning 13 yrs. old......a few hundred years ago....

The balanced rock of Castle Gate, just outside of Helper.  My brother and I climbed that rock when we were kids.  My mother didn't believe us so the following weekend we made a flag out of a bed sheet and went back up.  This is a rock that professional climbers come from all over the nation to climb.....we climbed it in our sneakers and cotton rope tied around each other.......just like kids would do.....barely hanging by the tips of our toes and finger tips in many locations.  Too young and to dumb to have any fear at that age.....

Helper, Utah has become an interesting little town, lot's of art galleries, wineries, etc. and many, many of the old builldings restored and remodeled....

I got on I-15 north near Provo, Utah and shot through both Provo and Salt Lake City without any stop.  My third night was the Days Inn in Brigham City, Utah.  One of my longest mileage days at 370 miles and approx. eight hours of travel time including all of my stops.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 05:02:02 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 01:50:01 PM »

I got on the road early and got off the road early each day.  The next morning I'm headed to a beautiful little town in Idaho.......Salmon, Id.   I-15 north through Idaho Falls to Sage Junction where I turn west on Id 33 west towards Salmon, Id.  Once I got off of the interstate and got back on a two lane road it was again a beautiful, easy ride with very, very little traffic.

Is that potatoes growing out there?

At this point I was wishing I had my 4x4 so I could go up that road and see what is in that huge cave!  I think that might be the Bat Cave!

Salmon, Idaho is a very nice mountain community.  I made my way to the Super 8 for the evening where, once again, it started raining almost as soon as I got unpacked.  I learned that the mid afternoon rains are the norm up there so be off the road by mid afternoon and you'll be fine.  It was 320 miles from Brigham City, Ut to Salmon, Id and approx. 5 1/2 hrs. on the road.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 05:05:16 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 01:50:23 PM »

From Brigham City, Utah to Salmon, Id was 320 miles and I spent approx. 6 hours.

Got up early in Salmon, Idaho and did my routine weather forecast for my next destination.  Rut-rohhhh, cold rain forecasted for the day and rain forecasted for all four days once I arrive in West Glacier, Mont.  Not good!  But I have my Gerbing eXtreme Element jacket and pants which are water proof and I also brough my modular helmet so I'll stay dry but I still hate to ride in it!

Suited up, I'm headed north out of Salmon, Id. on US 93.  As overcast as it was and what rain I did catch, it was still a beautiful ride.  No traffic so I just took my time.  I rode through the Bitterroot Valley and stopped at Missoula Harley Davidson.  Sun was out so I took a break and downed a couple of cups of coffee and shed the Gerbing heated gear.

And my first view of Flathead Lake in Montana......

It's amazing that I managed to not get one drop of rain while riding through this valley.  It either rained just in front of me or behind me but I escaped it....

« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 07:07:09 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 01:50:46 PM »

I arrived at Historic Tamarack Lodge in Hungry Horse, Mt. (West Glacier, Mt.) and it was 266 miles and about 6 1/2 hrs. on the road. 

As I mentioned early in this thread, I received a free upgrade everywhere that I stayed.  At Tamarack Lodge I was supposed to be in a small, motel style room but was upgraded to the Moose room in the lodge......free of course!.  The Moose Room is one of two rooms at the front of the lodge and they share the balcony over the front of the lodge.  That's where I had my coffee each morning and where you could find me the few times that it rained while I was there. 

I would highly recommend the Historic Tamarack Lodge to anybody headed to Glacier.  They have a very rustic cocktail bar as well as a restaurant in the lodge.  The restaurant is closed this summer due to the Covid 19.  Great hospitality and everybody is very friendly.  Ask for Margerie and tell her that JC referred you!  Marjorie and I talked quite a bit about the possability of a CVO GTG up there next spring.   And Marjorie now knows what a CVO is compared to base model Harleys.   :P

Here is their web site.....    http://www.historictamaracklodge.com/

Marjorie on the left.  I don't remember the other lady's name.....

As I was taking a photo of this sign, looking through the view finder I see something move.......a buck just to the right of the sign and 50' in the distance......standing there looking at me.

Lake McDonald inside Glacier NP.......

« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 07:42:44 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 01:51:03 PM »

The next day, after the rain, I rode to Glacier Harley Davidson in Kalispell, Mt.... 25 miles away.  Made arrangements to get a rear tire put on that afternoon.  Just kind of explored the historic downtown and Woodland Park.

After four nights at Tamarack and touring Glacier NP, I headed south to Helena, Mt.  205 miles and 4 hours on the road.  I stayed at the Baymont Inn that night.  I visited friends from Lodi, Ca. that now live in Helena and I hadn't seen in about 40-42 years, Don & Tory.  The next morning I headed to Red Lodge, Mt.

I came around a curve and there was a little spotted fawn standing in the middle of my lane just looking at me.  I slowed and stopped and he ran off the side and through a fence then I saw the doe standing there waiting for her fawn.  She wasn't about to run off like she normally would.....had to wait for her fawn.  But she sure kept an eye on me..........

I finally arrived in Red Lodge, Mt.  250 miles and about six hours......

« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 09:19:22 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 01:51:18 PM »

Heading out up over Beartooth Pass to Cooke City, Mt....Cody, Wy. and eventually Thermopolis, Wy. for this night's stay.

I arrived in Cooke City, Mt. in time for brunch.  It looks like a Porsche club had the same idea.  Cooke City is only 65 miles from Red Lodge but it took me several hours due to all of my stops up on top of Beartooth Lodge.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 02:44:30 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 01:51:48 PM »

From Cooke City, Mt to Cody, Wy. via Chief Joseph Hwy.....

After a short break in Cody....it's on to Thermopolis, Wy....

Thermopolis claim to fame is that they have the world's largest natural hot springs.......

Cooke City, Mt. to Thermopolis, Wy. was 160 mi. and with my break in Cody it was about 3 1/2 hrs.

From Thermopolis, Wy. to Walden, Colorado was uneventful and just a ho-hum ride so no photos for this part of the ride.  Thermopolis to Walden was 285 miles and approx. 4 1/2 hrs.    OK, I may have done this part of the ride in 3 1/2 hrs.    :P

I was already missing Montana so I was happy to see the Colorado state line........

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 04:15:13 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 01:52:06 PM »

Granby, Colorado.........where the Grand Design RV Rally will be held next month.  Babe and I can't wait to go back!

Grand Lake, Colorado......a beautiful little mountain town on Grand Lake.........

For those that followed this journey (and many, many more photos) on my daily facebook posts, they know the story here.  I had already been in several National Parks on this journey and I thought this would be the same routine.  I get to the window and try to hand the lady my National Park Pass and she asks for my "reservations".  I explained that I'm not staying in the park, that I'll be going out the south end.  She told me that they couldn't let me in without a Rocky Mountain National Park reservation unless I wanted to hang around until 5:00 p.m. when they let people in that don't have a reservation.......otherwise I could turn around and go back to Granby, turn left and go up over the pass.    And that's what I did!

Sometimes things in life don't go the way that we planned them and that's just the way life is......we fight it or we roll with it.  I rolled with it!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 04:16:00 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 01:52:23 PM »

Headed to my next reservation for tonight, Idaho Springs, Co, I get down to I-70 and traffic is stopped in both lanes.  Moving over to the shoulder, I let my bike cool off for about twenty minutes.  Then I just creeped along the shoulder until I got to the next off ramp.  Idaho Springs is a gold mining community with many historic mines from the turn of the century as well as current day operating mines.

On a mission!  I got checked in to my hotel in Idaho Springs and got back on my bike and headed for Estes Park from the south......to go in to Rocky Mountain National Park after 5 p.m.

This is the view of Pike's Peak from my brother's ranch.....

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 05:14:33 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 01:52:42 PM »

My brother and I headed out early the next morning for the top of Pike's Peak.......

If you're riding to Pike's Peak and you are here before 7:30 a.m.  (when the shuttles start running) you can ride your bike all the way to the top even though there's a lot of construction going on up there.  Also, handicapped vehicles can go to the top provided there's parking spaces available.

The new visitor's center on top of Pike's Peak is going to really be something when it's completed.  All the way around the back side will be all glass so that people can see the views to the bottom even in inclement weather.  It's going to be much, much larger than the current visitor's center.

My little brother.......went gray before me.... :huepfenlol2:

Our limosine back down to the parking lot where our bikes are at.....

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 09:44:59 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 01:53:03 PM »

In this photo on the left, above the tree line a bit you'll see a white roofed barn.......that's my brother's ranch where the first photo of this group was taken, looking up here.  This photo is looking back down.....

They also have the option of riding a van to the top and riding one of their bicycles down.........or take your own up there and have somebody drive your car or truck back down.

Hey, isn't that a 2020 CVO?   Yep.....this is Darryl "Big Dog" Gunter of Combat Vets Motorcycle Association and his wife.  I believe they said they were from Georgia and if I remember correctly, he has two other CVOs....

My brother's place from the highway.......

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 09:45:38 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2020, 01:53:21 PM »

For those on this forum that made it to the CVO Get Together in Cripple Creek, Colorado back in 2006.....will recognize many of these photos.
However, Cripple Creek has grown a bit.   It seems all of their buildings are built to a historical appearance code so the only modern building is the hotel/casino where we had our GTG.  They are widening the sidewalks shade covered with awnings, increased on street parking, etc.  It was very busy when we passed through.

By the way, it's no longer the largest in town.  There are several others now and one that looks to be two or three times larger than our host hotel/casino.

I remember a few gold mines when we were here in 2006 but these mountains are covered with gold mines now.

One of the new hotel/casinos.  This one is much, much larger than our hosting hotel/casino was....

Our hosting hotel/casino.....

For scale, this photo shows one of thos massive mine dump trucks going up the grade, right in the center of this photo..... JR is this one of your babys?

« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 12:14:56 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2020, 01:53:39 PM »

The next day we head for Wilkerson Pass, Buena Vista and Cottonwood Pass.  Cottonwood Pass was just paved for the first time, last summer and it seemed like everybody in Colorado was going over it.  May well have been the most traffic I run in to in my entire trip.

On this day, my nephew also joins us.  Ricky just bought a 2020 CVO Street Glide.....left his Softail behind.  Interestingly.....Ricky is a doctor and a neurosurgeon.  I asked him if he knew of any other MDs that ride motorcycles and especially any other neurosurgeons.  He kind of smiled a bit and said "yes, one.......my partner".   :P   He's been on two wheels since he was 16 and is an excellent rider.

Headed up over Cottonwood Pass......

The results of one of many of Colorado's avalanches......it clears a forest all the way to the ground.....and leaves behind what looks like millions of giant toothpicks (the tree trunks).

« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 12:18:19 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2020, 01:53:56 PM »

And once again a ride over the Million Dollar Hwy.  No guardrails and in many places it's straight down just a foot or so from that white line.....

Yes, RVs and trailers.....even tractor trailors go on the Million Dollar Hwy.   I would suggest that when you go through the two tunnels just hug the center line (the highest part of the tunnels).  There are a lot of switch backs on this road and some steep grades but a lot of places to pull out and let it cool down.

Durango, Colorado...........

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 12:30:57 AM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2020, 01:54:15 PM »

Moving on through New Mexico.........

I learned how to read Apache sign language while I was on the road.  This sign says New Mexico Hwy 12........

My last night on the road of this three week road trip was at the Desert Inn Best Western in Safford, Arizona.  Two hours from home but over 100F.....I spent the night here and was home by 8:30 a.m. the next day.

The Rocky Mountain Tour may have well been the best ride of my life!  I rode a total of 4,673.6 miles from when I left my garage until I returned to my garage.

It was a solo ride but I hope that all of your enjoyed the journey with me.........
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 12:31:35 AM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2020, 01:54:45 AM »

love it! So pissed I missed this trip..
Alan

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2020, 05:43:31 PM »

JC, as always, wonderful pictures and a great ride.  Thanks for taking the time to post.  Can't wait for the rest of the trip
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2020, 12:38:25 AM »

love it! So pissed I missed this trip..

Yea, I thought about you a few times on this ride Alan.  I'm ready to go back.....let's roll......

West Coast GTG   

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2020, 08:35:25 AM »

Thanks for the excellent trip report. Makes me thirsty to return to Colorado and points NW.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

bigsixman

• Full CVO Member
  • 2003 CVO Deuce FXSTDSE
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2020, 01:11:33 PM »

I appreciate your posts and your amazing pictures of your trip. I have been to most of your trip with the exception of AZ and NM and it sure brings back nice memories. Thank you JC.
2003 fxstdse CVO Deuce, 3,700 miles
2007 fxstd Deuce, 18,500 miles
2017 flhx Street Glide, 6,700 miles
Four 60s & 70s Japanese bikes

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2020, 02:49:45 PM »

I appreciate your posts and your amazing pictures of your trip. I have been to most of your trip with the exception of AZ and NM and it sure brings back nice memories. Thank you JC.

One of the main reasons that I do these photo ride reports.....the other reason is to motivate people that have never been to any of these locations is to spread their wings.......get out there and ride.

I have been to all of these places with the exception of Glacier National Park, mutlitple times.  But I'd never been to all of these locations in one ride so that was my bucket list.

West Coast GTG   

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2020, 04:21:01 PM »

What a ride. Been to a couple of those places myself. Great pics! Thanks for sharing..

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2020, 05:06:43 PM »

JC,

You never cease to amaze me, and I am so thankful for it.

As you have already suggested, the ride report can be a source of motivation and for me therapeutic.  In reviewing the imagines and comments, it provides me with even more reasoning as to why I want to return to these locations and more. 

I am so pleased to read that you were successful in checking off an item on the “bucket list” but not so fast.  That bucket list has many rides to go and places to see my friend.

Like others have stated, I appreciate and know the time, energy and effort placed into these reports.  You have provided so many over the years and guided many of us to locations we may have not visited because of them.  Keep ‘em comin’!

I am so sad that I was unable to be on this one, but something tells me I have a ride comin’!  Not to mention, I must make one in the future with ya so start planning!

Love ya brother.

Harvey Mushman

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2020, 08:48:54 PM »

Thanks for taking us along on another great ride JC. I wish I could have gone too. The big street bike might make it to Arizona this winter. Either way, the current plan is to be back with the RV in two months.
See you then,
Tom
Special Thanks to JCZ for his help in routing some of my two cross county trips.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781149

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2020, 08:57:58 PM »

Thanks for taking us along on another great ride JC. I wish I could have gone too. The big street bike might make it to Arizona this winter. Either way, the current plan is to be back with the RV in two months.
See you then,
Tom

Tom we go to Colorado on Aug. 1st for a week of RVing and a day of horseback riding the Colorado Rockies.  I'll post up on facebook.  Then we're back here for a couple of weeks before leaving on our longer RV trip to California, Ore, Wash, Idaho, back over to Glacier NP (now Babe wants to see it) then down through Colorado again, to Texas before returning back here.  So we'll get back here after you return.

How's things up there in Shelter Cove?  Weather good?  It's been miserable hot here.

West Coast GTG   

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2020, 10:38:37 PM »

Great right up ,love the pictures.
Parts of your trip put us close as we were going through Oregon and into some of Idaho.
If you're close to Spokane Wa  on your RV trip and want to meet up,  pm me and I'll get it into my schedule.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

masiman

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2020, 01:44:50 PM »

Thanks for sharing your Rockies loop. Absolutely beautiful pics! Having lived in Colorado Springs, and Longmont,CO in '79 and '80, wow has it been that long, I've ridden many of those same roads.  jT 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2020, 08:56:07 PM »

Thanks for sharing your Rockies loop. Absolutely beautiful pics! Having lived in Colorado Springs, and Longmont,CO in '79 and '80, wow has it been that long, I've ridden many of those same roads.  jT

Time to go back again....... :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

BT

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2020, 09:49:23 PM »

JC, thanks for the amazing pic's.  Gives us a few new roads to add to "the list".  :2vrolijk_21:
West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (05)  Cripple Creek, CO (06) Nelson, BC (07) Sedona, AR (08) Hood River, OR (09) Pala, CA (10) Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Spokane, WA (12) Santa Fe, NM (13) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray, CO (15) Fortuna, CA (16) Victoria BC (23)

MITM
Eureka Springs (17)

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2020, 02:10:13 PM »

Great write up! You rode some of the best roads in the us. I did a similar 6400 mile ride around when I had a few weeks between job 10 years ago!
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2020, 11:31:10 AM »

Another excellent adventure by JC.  Thanks Buddy!

Glad to hear you didn't spring a leak in Cripple Creek.   ;D

My wife & I have ridden most of those parts over the years and thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories.

Wondering if you prefer Million Dollar Highway heading north or south?

Keep up the great work... So looking forward to your next trip in pics JC.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2020, 11:22:27 PM »

Another excellent adventure by JC.  Thanks Buddy!

Glad to hear you didn't spring a leak in Cripple Creek.   ;D

My wife & I have ridden most of those parts over the years and thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories.

Wondering if you prefer Million Dollar Highway heading north or south?

Keep up the great work... So looking forward to your next trip in pics JC.

Million Dollar Hwy......like Pacific Coast Hwy. 1.....always from the north, going south.    :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2020, 02:44:09 PM »

I enjoyed reading about your adventures... The pictures told a great story my friend 👍😎

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2020, 07:38:19 PM »

Hello JCZ i did that Durango to Ouray ride back in May of 2019 rain/snow part of the way.  Didn't see many views because I was fearful of taking my eyes off the road. 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2020, 07:38:52 PM »

Time to go back again....... :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Did I mention.....................we've been back up here at Glacier National Park for the past week?  We're up here in the truck and travel trailer so I haven't posted any of my pics here.

West Coast GTG   

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2020, 03:15:15 PM »

A great write up and ride! Thank you for sharing!

PS I sold my 13 CVO twin to yours.

Mana59

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE6
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2020, 10:28:59 AM »

What a trip! Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Judging from the shot of Pikes Peak from your brother's, he's on the opposite side from us. Cottonwood, Tenderfoot, Victor, Divide, CC are under an hour away. Lose any money in Cripple Creek?  ;D

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2020, 11:05:54 AM »

What a trip! Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Judging from the shot of Pikes Peak from your brother's, he's on the opposite side from us. Cottonwood, Tenderfoot, Victor, Divide, CC are under an hour away. Lose any money in Cripple Creek?  ;D

He lives in Divide.

West Coast GTG   
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 25 queries.