Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Detachable Tour-Pak about detaches Itself.  (Read 5923 times)

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
Detachable Tour-Pak about detaches Itself.
« on: August 29, 2007, 07:42:42 PM »

I went on a 220 mile trip to three area Harley shops today. I wanted to see what new bikes were on the showrooms. I skipped the local dealer and went to the next three closest. Between the 1st and the second, I stopped to answer the cell phone at a rest stop. That's when I noticed that the tour-pak looked askew. The curved bracket that holds the docking point and the antennae bracket was broke and that side was just hanging. The curved bracket on the right side was loose feeling. I eased on in to the next dealership and they had the parts I needed. Both sides were broke and I got lucky. I have the tour-pak on 98% of the time. The mechanic said he had never seen that before. I don't feel that I have ever overloaded it. Just something you might want to look at.
 At the third dealership I saw a new Ultra Classic in the new two-tone red for this year. I like the combination, so I had a salesman make me an offer. My bike has close to 25,000 miles on it. He said he would trade for $6,600 +tax, license, etc. The Ultra Classic didn't have ABS. That's giving me $17,000 for mine. I still like my bike better but I was just curious to see what it might bring.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Detachable Tour-Pak about detaches Itself.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 08:01:44 PM »

There was a problem w/the detachable racks that were on the '04's but the parts were changed in '05. Check out this thread - 04 Tour Pack Rack to see the problem on the '04's. Just wondering if your bike was an early production '05 and got the old style rack?

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 08:34:04 PM »

Gary, the 04 SEEGs didn't come with a tour pack.  We (those of us that have them on 04's) had to buy them additional.  I don't believe that the painted to match for the 04's weren't even available till sometime in 05.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 08:42:39 PM »

Gary, the 04 SEEGs didn't come with a tour pack.  We (those of us that have them on 04's) had to buy them additional.  I don't believe that the painted to match for the 04's weren't even available till sometime in 05.
I got my King Tourpak (color matched) w/the delivery of the bike (7/04), the part (rack) that I was speaking of was changed in '05. Mine actually did the same thing as Jamey's (MrWeCVO) and I had it replaced under warranty. I'm just wondering if 70_GTX got an early edition of the '05's that was still using the '04 P/N?

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 09:09:35 PM »

Thanks for the heads up 70-. My brackets are ok but the plastic grommets attached to the bike which accept the "forks" of the detachables are shot. Been on order for two weeks. Got by by rotating them but it's time to replace them.

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 09:48:43 PM »

The parts I was given to repair mine were in a kit with this part number. 53127-96C . Is it the old style ? The parts are identical to what was on there. The parts I see in the other thread look different.

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 10:08:01 PM »

The instructions in the box said revision 6-10-2004.

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 10:13:26 PM »

Are you sure it was 17000

Maybe you meant 27000???

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 10:21:46 PM »

The parts I was given to repair mine were in a kit with this part number. 53127-96C . Is it the old style ? The parts are identical to what was on there. The parts I see in the other thread look different.
The P/N I had for the original rack on mine was 53107-96. As long as it doesn't look like the pictures in the other thread then you probably had the new version on all the time.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »

Nope. $17,000 for mine plus $6,600 difference puts the new Ultra at $23,600. It wasn't a Screamin Eagle Ultra.

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 01:47:28 PM »

Got it.

At first I thouught it was a SE

I would have been  next in line...

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 10:24:06 AM »

I picked mine up on Veterans Day (NOV 2004) with a large tour pack!!!  :coolblue:
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 10:32:52 AM »

Nope. $17,000 for mine plus $6,600 difference puts the new Ultra at $23,600. It wasn't a Screamin Eagle Ultra.

I got about the same info. I went to our dealer and he offered us 17,500 on Maybelle in trade for a new SEUC still in the crate. I had a hard time keeping my composure.  :o  But it did help me make the decision to put a few dollars into her rather than start over with a huge unknown.
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 01:07:13 PM »

I got about the same info. I went to our dealer and he offered us 17,500 on Maybelle in trade for a new SEUC still in the crate. I had a hard time keeping my composure.  :o  But it did help me make the decision to put a few dollars into her rather than start over with a huge unknown.

Huge unknown??? :nixweiss: :nixweiss: I would be more concerned about the huge KNOWN, ie leaking head gaskets, rocker arm fitness, etc etc. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 05:06:35 PM »

Huge unknown??? :nixweiss: :nixweiss: I would be more concerned about the huge KNOWN, ie leaking head gaskets, rocker arm fitness, etc etc. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Dude, What are you doing to yer bike???  :o

I have 47000 miles and and a good wrench! Maybelle purrs down the road and I ain't worrying about head gaskets and such.  :drink:
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

senorjeem

• Starting Out
  • Full CVO Member
  • I SURVIVED THE MAYAN END OF DAYS!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 12:36:06 PM »

Thanks for the heads up 70-. My brackets are ok but the plastic grommets attached to the bike which accept the "forks" of the detachables are shot. Been on order for two weeks. Got by by rotating them but it's time to replace them.

Hey Screamin.  I am new to the site and have just purchased an 05 SEEG.  The tourpak seems a bit loose to the point where it rocks back and forth a bit.  I was wondering if the screws that hold the grommets and actually make up the mounting pin were loose or if the grommets were worn out.  What was yours doing to give you the idea that the grommets were worn out?

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 02:14:47 PM »

You should always check to make sure the screws are tight.  Mine loosened and I applied locktite "blue" thread locker to them.  No more problems.  The bushings have always been a problem.  It is common to rotate them periodically once a flat spot has developed but eventually they need replacement.  An alternative is stainless steel machined bushings offered by Gilbos Billet Hawg Solutions which last much longer :2vrolijk_21:
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 05:18:27 PM »

You should always check to make sure the screws are tight.  Mine loosened and I applied locktite "blue" thread locker to them.  No more problems.  The bushings have always been a problem.  It is common to rotate them periodically once a flat spot has developed but eventually they need replacement. An alternative is stainless steel machined bushings offered by Gilbos Billet Hawg Solutions which last much longer :2vrolijk_21:

A good friend got these for this CVO and they wouldn't fit his 2009, so I got them and they wouldn't fit my 2005. If you don't mind removing 4 screws every couple years get the stock style replacements. I found a company on ebay, very good price and am very happy with fitment.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 24 queries.