Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011 CVO Ultra Cam/Tuner Mileage gone to crap angry rider advice  (Read 2069 times)

Austin Shadow

2011 CVO Ultra Cam/Tuner Mileage gone to crap angry rider advice
« on: February 24, 2013, 07:07:51 AM »

Ok, So After I got a lemon law replacement on my 2007 CVO ultra - now the 2011 CVO ultra comes with its' issues.
First off - 9 compensating sprockets now - last one has at least lasted over 5k. miles.
Yes and all Screaming Eagle.

I've got 50k hard run miles on the bike.
Thundermax, D&D Fat Cat 2 into 1, heavy breather, fueling cam plate, fueling oil pump, fueling lifters, redshift roller chain tensioner, adjustable pushrods - and lets forget the suspension stuff.  CAM Question next

Here is the problem:  used to get 225-230 range highway with the stock SE 255 cams.
Now, I did the Redshift 275 cams, and other tidbits (yes noisy) and I updated the Thundermax canned map - they actually have one for it configured this way and I am only getting 140 - yes 140 miles range on my tank - if even that -hell I can count it down while I watch our deficit count up!!!!
The reason I brought up the comp sprocket failures is when they went bad - some after just 1k miles - my milage went to crap then too.

I do ride hard but no harder than i did before.   Suggestions comments. opinions welcome.  Also for the record, I am not too attached to the thundermax as it has been more demanding on changes and upgrades and new firmware than some of my girl friends.  The only problem is that I am now using the wide band 02 sensors (22mm aka 7/8) on the D&D.

So as we say in Texas, watch y'all think??

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: 2011 CVO Ultra Cam/Tuner Mileage gone to crap angry rider advice
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 07:57:15 AM »

How bout your temps, Oil & Head. Did they rocket up as your milage tanked? Thats about the biggest drop I have ever heard of :nixweiss: ????? Sound bout the same? Many unanswered questions...........
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Austin Shadow

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 08:17:42 AM »

Temps seem to be running good - Also run Redshift 20-60 syn oil, and trans with shockproof, seems to take the heat off of things..

Yeah, I cant figure this one out - but for a guy that will ride 1500 miles straight through, this is going to suck.

ozrider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 09:12:21 AM »

Let me get this right, did the fuel consumption and the compensator sprocket problems both start at the same time, or sprocket probs been there before fitting cams ?

and if so, was it immediately after you fitted the ,,,275 cams ? (should that be RS 575's ? )

possible causes;

1. cam timing is incorrect (out a tooth or two).

2. crank has scissored.

3. canned map ain't all that good.

Win Lotto, Go back to Sturgis,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Never go home!

Austin Shadow

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 09:23:50 AM »

The MPG has been steadily getting worse.... but moreso after the cam change... bike runs strong though.

But you bring up a very good point about the flys scissored - especially after all the comp sprockets I've been through in all the states I've been in.   I did have .004 end play on the shaft.

Anyone got a good way to check this issue.

I wonder howmany a mechanic hit the comp nut with an impact when I wasnt looking.

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 09:42:05 AM »

I think I would be putting it on a dyno and tune it for better milage.
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 11:24:46 AM »

Highly likely your TMax/tune isn't providing optimum mileage.   Personally, I'm not a fan of the TMax, but others have better opinions of it.  My advice would be an alternate tuning device and a competent tuner...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

cherryseeg2

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • J&B Performance Cycles
    • TN

• CVO1: 2003 Deuce traded for CVO 2
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 12:14:17 PM »

Highly likely your TMax/tune isn't providing optimum mileage.   Personally, I'm not a fan of the TMax, but others have better opinions of it.  My advice would be an alternate tuning device and a competent tuner...   :2vrolijk_21:
I agree. Ditch the Tmax and get a good tune from a GOOD tuner.
2005 SEEG2 J&B Performance 120 -163/144

clubbie

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 09:33:31 PM »

Absolutely nothing wrong with what the Tmax can do tuning wise. You may be one of the unlucky ones that has an ECU that might have developed a fault.

However without knowing what your AFR's (and the rest of the tune) are set to at 30-75Kpa range for the rpm range you ride at it's a bit of a crap shoot to blame the cam or Tmax for loss of economy. For example the canned map you loaded may be set really rich!!!!

Get it on a dyno and tuned properly.

ozrider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 10:06:12 AM »

The MPG has been steadily getting worse.... but moreso after the cam change... bike runs strong though.

But you bring up a very good point about the flys scissored - especially after all the comp sprockets I've been through in all the states I've been in.   I did have .004 end play on the shaft.

Anyone got a good way to check this issue.

I wonder howmany a mechanic hit the comp nut with an impact when I wasnt looking.

Consider taking it to a good dyno tuner to get the canned map edited.
While it's there he could pull the plugs and do a quick check to make sure TDC of each pot, and the timing marks line up.
The fuel consumption is one thing, but them 9 sprockets that have failed is pointing to a more serious problem that yo gotta get fixed before it drops it's bundle and self destructs.

Win Lotto, Go back to Sturgis,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Never go home!

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 11:05:34 AM »

Just a thought. Years ago (early 80's) I  had bunch of motor work done on scoot. picked up the bike with dad & bros. rode 25 mi & hit reserve. what the heck! hadn't been running hard, just trying to get it broke in. filled up went back to dealer (hit reserve again). upon checkin out motor, found cams wore down. was told hardness of metal wasn't compatable. So check out cam wear & push rods, etc (& crank)
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 11:37:58 AM »

It's probably worth the time and effort to pull the cams and make sure they are not off a tooth. KPA should be about 35 at idle,  and if it's higher than that it would indicate that cams may be off a tooth.

If it's not the cams, then I would think the canned map is not very close for your build. Having the map set properly for the actual intake valve opening and closing degrees is critical for good performance and fuel economy.

However, having replaced nine compensator sprockets in 50,000 miles is totally FUBAR. Something else would appear to be going on. Comp sprockets may not be as robust as we might like, but having that many failures indicates something elseā€¦ perhaps some kind of weird sprocket alignment problem between the engine and clutch, or a too-tight primary chain due to the crappy stock ratcheting tensioner. Have they ever replaced the chain tensioner?

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 25 queries.