Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saddlebag guards  (Read 1617 times)

Glenncarp

Saddlebag guards
« on: July 16, 2019, 11:17:53 AM »

Was on really tight windy road Sunday and stuck behind a few church goers. I was going about 10 MPH and in a really tight turn down hill, bike hit some gravel and rear tire slid a bit, I did not go down, but just about had to change my draws. Anyhoo...as I was riding away, I realized I did not have bag guards on the 2019 Road Glide Special which means any little tip on her side probably means a ruined saddle bag. I had dropped the prior 2 CVO's a few times while practicing slow, tight turns and the front crash bars and saddle bag bars saved the day. I am looking at these to save the clean look

https://www.amazon.com/S77-0137B-Saddlebag-Eliminator-Bracket-Harley-Davidson/dp/B007KPTYIC

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/362-434/rick-doss-black-saddlebag-guard-eliminator-bracket?mrkgadid=3300286425&rkg_id=0&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=461943536133_product_type_motorcycles_product_type_saddlebags_and_luggage_product_typ&utm_campaign=Google+Shopping++Generic+-+Saddlebags+and+Luggage&product_id=362-434&utm_content=pla&adpos=1o2&creative=278867793017&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAjw67XpBRBqEiwA5RCocbJq3oIpgopGPqxn5ib_zM53xSZWkGZnh3y1b0XCZuFo7tF0oumqTRoCcoIQAvD_BwE

Anyone have them? I am assuming they will do the job is the bike is leaned over? I prefer not to spend $240 on HD full bars and ruining the clean lines, just wondering if anyone has any experience or hear of anyone using these.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 11:19:47 AM by Glenncarp »

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: Saddlebag guards
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 12:13:45 PM »

Glenn,

Are these what you're looking for?

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Glenncarp

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 12:18:31 PM »

Glenn,

Are these what you're looking for?

Mark

No, those are the typical HD ones. I put two links in my post with a newer, smaller design that I want to keep the lines of the bike, just want to know if anyone has had experience with them to know that the will protect the bags if the bike tips over.

Thanks for the response though.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 12:51:41 PM »

I see what you mean Glenn. Looking at the two you posted, it looks like those are used to support the bags when the bag guards are removed. If you want to protect the bags in a tip over, you need the rear bag guards at a minimum, and maybe the wrap around ones too.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 02:53:03 PM »

FWIW, years ago I slid down a concrete entrance ramp sideways on the ground (pouring rain) on a 2000 SE Road-Glide (similar to my photo).  No bag guards, we were certain the lower one was toast.  No marks on the bags at all.  I still use that bike for some competitions and practice, been on the ground several times, still good.  Engine guard and floorboards have some wear though.

Just my experience.

Glenncarp

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 02:56:41 PM »

FWIW, years ago I slid down a concrete entrance ramp sideways on the ground (pouring rain) on a 2000 SE Road-Glide (similar to my photo).  No bag guards, we were certain the lower one was toast.  No marks on the bags at all.  I still use that bike for some competitions and practice, been on the ground several times, still good.  Engine guard and floorboards have some wear though.

Just my experience.

Thanks for input. My experience has been engine guards put bike at angle and bag guards save bags along with engine guards, that's why I think the ones in the link i included will work without needing the full wrap around ones from HD

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 07:34:00 PM »

The links in the original posts are not rear bag guards.  Those are saddlebag supports that are used by the people that want to remove their rear bag guards.

load97

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide Red Pepper & Magnetic Grey With Black Hole
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 06:46:24 AM »

The links in the original posts are not rear bag guards.  Those are saddlebag supports that are used by the people that want to remove their rear bag guards.

Ditto.
2019 CVO Road Glide Red Pepper & Magnetic Grey With Black Hole
2017 CVO Street Glide Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black *Traded*

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 08:22:03 AM »

Thanks for input. My experience has been engine guards put bike at angle and bag guards save bags along with engine guards, that's why I think the ones in the link i included will work without needing the full wrap around ones from HD

Glenn, the parts you linked to are designed to allow people who have bag guards to inexpensively remove those guards.  The parts replace the original that has a connection for the vertical bar of the guard.  They wouldn't provide any protection, they just hold the bottom support for the bags.

You can still find low profile guards that do not include the horizontal rails that run along the outside of the bags; they are designed to also protect the legs of a passenger to some extent.  Available in chrome or black from Harley.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.