Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: ?? Upgrade to H-D "Premium" Headsets??  (Read 7496 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
?? Upgrade to H-D "Premium" Headsets??
« on: April 28, 2015, 12:46:23 PM »

I'm enjoying the sound /music on the '15 RGU, though I am very ear /hearing conscious.  When I ride with a half helmet, I have found the "No Noise Motorsport"  ear plugs allow me to hear music coming from the speakers quite well while quieting road and wind noise.  These plugs do not seem to work well with enclosed helmets, however.  For longer trips, I use a 3/4 or full face helmet and foam plugs but then don't hear the music through the headset that well.  On phone calls, I have been told people can't tell I'm on the bike.

So, has anyone upgraded your H-D premium headsets /speakers?  I see the J&M  HS-EHI787-LDC-XHO for $229 but would that give me better music quality and volume?  Are they worth it?  Any other alternatives?   Thanks in advance for all replies.   

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
Re: ?? Upgrade to H-D "Premium" Headsets??
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 01:56:53 PM »

I ride with the J&M Premium in a half helment which I understand from them is not as good a speaker as their 3/4 and full face speakers.  I find the music to be roughly equivalent to the boom speakers but fit the half helment much better than boom.  Not exactly what you asked but just provided for input.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

Flatvalley

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ND

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 02:44:19 PM »

I am very pleased with the sound quality and sound volume capability of a product called edsets.  Not inexpensive but they work very well in my opinion.  The headsets that came with the bike are stored in their original containers they came in
2014 Ultra limited CVO
2005 GL1800
2003 VTX1800S

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 03:29:42 PM »

I am very pleased with the sound quality and sound volume capability of a product called edsets.  Not inexpensive but they work very well in my opinion.  The headsets that came with the bike are stored in their original containers they came in

Thanks.  So,  in addition to J&M, above we have EdSets for $284,I think and Air Rider  for about $200.  Has anybody tried more than one of these and have an opinion as to which is best?

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 04:12:24 PM »

So, there is simply no substitute for for voice communication.  I just spent nearly an hour talking to Ed Davis,  owner of EdSets in Warner Robins, GA.  He seemed like a good and knowledgeable guy. He dissuaded me from ordering a complete headset.  Rather, he persuaded me to order a set of his Thunderclap Speakers.  Ed claims the speakers are state-of-the-art and will give me both better volume and clarity due to their efficiency. I have agreed to be a guinea pig.  If they work, I have saved about a hundred fifty bucks. If they don't, I can return them.   

Sawyer Brown

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 08:20:22 PM »

So, there is simply no substitute for for voice communication.  I just spent nearly an hour talking to Ed Davis,  owner of EdSets in Warner Robins, GA.  He seemed like a good and knowledgeable guy. He dissuaded me from ordering a complete headset.  Rather, he persuaded me to order a set of his Thunderclap Speakers.  Ed claims the speakers are state-of-the-art and will give me both better volume and clarity due to their efficiency. I have agreed to be a guinea pig.  If they work, I have saved about a hundred fifty bucks. If they don't, I can return them.

Ok, so how do you use them?  They look interesting but I see plugs on the end of each speaker, what do they plug into?  Are they used with your existing head set by replacing the speakers? 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 08:23:14 PM »

Yes. Those are male Molex connectors.  I will cut the H-D speaker wires and crimp or solder on female connectors.  That way if a speaker ever fails, I can replace it.

Sawyer Brown

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 08:27:41 PM »

Geez!  I may need to look this guy up!  I am in Warner Robins as I type this message.

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 08:52:17 PM »

Geez!  I may need to look this guy up!  I am in Warner Robins as I type this message.

Let us know what you find out! Thanks.

Sawyer Brown

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 11:22:44 AM »

Yes. Those are male Molex connectors.  I will cut the H-D speaker wires and crimp or solder on female connectors.  That way if a speaker ever fails, I can replace it.
After reading your post I emailed Ed about retrofitting these speakers to a J&M Elite headset which has a defective speaker.  He told me I'd have to solder a connector.  But the wires on the J&M are TINY and I've got reservations about even attempting that.  Don't know about the H-D headset as I sold mine when I got the bike.  Please keep us updated on your install.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 04:35:11 PM »

I am not a fan of the J&M premium head set speakers. I don't think they are worth the money given the sound they produce.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 04:47:43 PM »

I've looked at the EdSets before and they are a very modular system where mic or speakers can be easily replaced.  Hear the Goldwing  riders like them.  Thought about trying to splice the EdSet speakers into my J&M headset but have not looked at wire sizes or connectors needed.  I was concerned the electronics might not be compatable as J&M give out very little info on their specs.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 09:36:19 PM »

I was given a set of J&M Premium headsets, friend who gave them to me said they sucked, compared to his new '15 HD units. I tried them and he is right, They are not as good as the Harley's that came with my bike, Not sure why they are so highly rated by the foreign bike guys. Maybe the GW factory parts really suck and the J&M units are an improvement over them. I actually like the Harley units, they clamp on securely, mike is flexible but substantial, not sure why everybody thinks other stuff is better, and the Harleys are free (came with bike).

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 08:55:04 PM »

FWIW:  Received my "EdSets"  speakers yesterday and was able to install them in 1.5 hours.  Took a while as the HD wiring is difficult to work with, to say the least.  They are definitely heavier and better quality than the HDs with better sound quality, esp. bass.  Test ride today and no additional volume but it might be because I did not match the polarity of the two speakers. 

I'll talk to Ed tomorrow and get his thoughts before I change the connections.  Not sure whether I can take apart the tiny molex connector or just cut and re solder the Edsets wires.    :nixweiss:

Sawyer Brown

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 08:12:33 PM »

FWIW:  Received my "EdSets"  speakers yesterday and was able to install them in 1.5 hours.  Took a while as the HD wiring is difficult to work with, to say the least.  They are definitely heavier and better quality than the HDs with better sound quality, esp. bass.  Test ride today and no additional volume but it might be because I did not match the polarity of the two speakers. 

I'll talk to Ed tomorrow and get his thoughts before I change the connections.  Not sure whether I can take apart the tiny molex connector or just cut and re solder the Edsets wires.    :nixweiss:

Still following this.  If you get it sorted to your satisfaction, I will be getting some.  Heck the better base alone, and sound quality may be enough even if they do not get louder.

Please keep us posted.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 22 queries.