Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Gear Indicator  (Read 4198 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Gear Indicator
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 03:52:45 PM »

I agree that you shift and ride by the why the bike sounds and feels.  That may because I am old enough to remember those days when you didn't have many indicators. I think I always had a neutral light but I may be wrong.  I know my 1980 (Ok don't kick me off CB 750K) has the neutral light and a high beam indicator.

My parents and I had a marina in Mid-Michigan back in the 60's and 70's.  We did gas on the lake and motor repairs.  Our first "new" things to sell were Bridgestone motorcycles.  My "big" bike was a 50 Sport!  It had a neutral light back then.  Bridgestone eventually came out with a 350cc.  All Bridgestone's were rotary valve two strokes, singles and twins.  For their displacement they were usually faster than the other brands.  I have to say that my 175 we very fast for the day, but the Suzuki X6 Hustler blew my doors off.  Those X6 bikes were fast for a 200cc.  Kawasaki two strokes were also rotary valve motors until they came out with their H-1 500 triples.  Now those were fast bikes for their size...

Sorry I digressed.

I very seldom look at my tach either; just shift when it "feels" right.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 03:59:43 PM »

Could use one on my 09. Being used to a 5 speed I find myself in 5th a lot of the time rolling down the highway.

If the bike is comfortable, there's not much reason to upshift...

The '09 SERG has a 6th gear indicator, but as Dan posted, its useless in daylight.

The rotary valve Kaw 100 was one of my first trail bikes. Great motor.
The development of the reed valves allowed more efficient "packaging" of the motor.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 04:05:29 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 05:15:41 PM »

The rotary valve Kaw 100 was one of my first trail bikes. Great motor.
The development of the reed valves allowed more efficient "packaging" of the motor.

Efficient packaging is one thing, but the rotary valve was by far the superior of the induction system on a two stroke.  The rotary valves did make a "WIDE" motor.  But in the case for the Bridgestone twins, it made an ideal place for the dynamo right behind the cylinders.  Most two strokes back then were piston port and you could clip the skirt a bit to change timing.  We also used to cut down the top of the piston to match the exhaust port to gain a bit more exhaust timing when we ran tuned pipes.

Oh those were the days!!!  :)  :)  :)

On my 175 Bridgestone that I stripped down and ran in the woods, I had the center crank seal go out on me and it was passing crankcase fuel/pressure back and forth within the crankcase, didn't run good that way.  So I took the crank over to a friend that owned an injection mold shop and he had a hydraulic press.  I pressed the crank apart and rotated one half 180 degrees making both cylinders go up and down at the same time, like a BSA or Triumph.  Bridgestone didn't sell center crank seals, only new cranks and I was a kid and cheap.  I also corked the crank holes to help build a bit more crankcase pressure.  I now had a twindle.  It wasn't quite as fast, but it did have a bit more low end for a two stroke.  It also had a nice sound to the expansion chambers.  I did some really stupid things way back when.  But by todays standards, I guess it was pretty lame actually.

Sorry again for digressing guys.....  :(
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 09:32:53 PM »

Efficient packaging is one thing, but the rotary valve was by far the superior of the induction system on a two stroke.  The rotary valves did make a "WIDE" motor.  But in the case for the Bridgestone twins, it made an ideal place for the dynamo right behind the cylinders.  Most two strokes back then were piston port and you could clip the skirt a bit to change timing.  We also used to cut down the top of the piston to match the exhaust port to gain a bit more exhaust timing when we ran tuned pipes.

Oh those were the days!!!  :)  :)  :)

On my 175 Bridgestone that I stripped down and ran in the woods, I had the center crank seal go out on me and it was passing crankcase fuel/pressure back and forth within the crankcase, didn't run good that way.  So I took the crank over to a friend that owned an injection mold shop and he had a hydraulic press.  I pressed the crank apart and rotated one half 180 degrees making both cylinders go up and down at the same time, like a BSA or Triumph.  Bridgestone didn't sell center crank seals, only new cranks and I was a kid and cheap.  I also corked the crank holes to help build a bit more crankcase pressure.  I now had a twindle.  It wasn't quite as fast, but it did have a bit more low end for a two stroke.  It also had a nice sound to the expansion chambers.  I did some really stupid things way back when.  But by todays standards, I guess it was pretty lame actually.

Sorry again for digressing guys.....  :(

No doubt, the accuracy of the rotary valve was (is) far superior, just not practical as far as packaging. 'Never seen rotary valves on anything with more than 2 cylinders. 'Racing dirt bikes and outboards, we did our share of raising exhaust ports :2vrolijk_21: 'Been fortunate to have ridden / driven some really impressive 2 stroke power plants. There's nothing like a Big 2 Stroke "comin' on the pipe" :coolblue:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

chipsabiker

• CVO1: 2015 Street Glide Blue/Lava
    • CVO2: 2009 Road Glide Orange (sold)
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2015, 09:14:20 PM »

My gear indicator crapped out today. The display is blank. It has worked fine since I got the bike in October. Does anyone have any suggestions? I noticed it today when I tried to activate my cruise control. Cruise control light comes on in yellow but won't activate and show green on the display.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.