Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Heated Grips  (Read 6566 times)

RedNose44

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO SG Carbon Crystal / Phantom Flames
Heated Grips
« on: January 18, 2016, 01:33:42 PM »

I am having the dealer install my new bars on my bike. I don't have the patience anymore to do it myself. I will be going above the fairing and the mechanic is telling me to go with heated grips. When I talked to the service writer he is telling me it is an extra 3 hours of labor. From what I can tell, the throttle side is already wired, and the other side the wires are run through the bars. I am also reading that the connection is under the outer fairing. If this is correct, how does this add three hours if they are doing it at the same time they are doing new internally wired bars?

I have had issues already where the service writers have zero clue what they are talking about. For the guys that had heated grips added, what did they charge you? Thanks...

Edit: I told the service writer that I would be asking on the forums what people were being charged. His response was that people on various forums don't know what they are talking about. I am thinking of going to an independent shop and getting a quote from them as well.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 01:36:38 PM by RedNose44 »

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Re: Heated Grips
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 04:10:27 PM »

From personal exp. working on my ultra's taking off the outer fairing can be 1/2 hr. taking the inner fairing off is another 45 minutes or so, depending on interruptions.
I think getting quotes from an indy as well as calling a different dealer is a good idea.
When I installed heated grips on a 03 RKC I had, getting the wires to pass through the handle bars took some time, they failed with in a yr, got them warrantied and than after the next 2 sets that had too much epoxy inside them and not allowing the grips to go onto the bar, I went with heated gloves.
Parts manager did say the warranty was 1 yr on customer installed grips and 2 yrs when dealer installed.
Hope this helps.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

JJCruzzz

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2008 Ultra Classic - sold
    • CVO3: 2007 Night Train Custom - sold
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 04:35:00 PM »

i have an 12' CVO Ultra - i just finished having mods done by my local mechanic/tuner... i changed out stock bars to WO578's - and also i wasn't thrilled with the 2012 grips as i felt them to be a little big for me and not much tac/grip so i decided on dropping the cash for the 2016 heated grips - these are killer - fyi

my mechanic originally quoted me 4 - 4 1/2 hours for the handlebar replacement - and when i told him i ordered new heated grips - he said that being everything would be 'un-done' anyway - it will only add an hour at most but maybe just .45 min. 

-three hours... seems like a stretch - too big of a stretch if you ask me

hope this helps.

here is a pic of my bars with the new grips

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 04:38:20 PM »

The dealership is trying to overcharge you and you were right to question them.  The fairing needs to come off for the bar replacement, so charging again to do it for the grips is BS.  As you noted, the right side is already wired (the same throttle sensor is used for the bikes with and without heated grips, and the wiring is part of that assembly) so it's just a case of plugging in the wire for the grip.  The rest of the wiring is already in the SESG wiring harness, just like the CVO Limited.  So all they have to do is fish the left grip wires through the new bars at the same time they are fishing the rest of the wiring through the new bars, then make the connections at the existing connector near the steering head area. 

If your dealership won't back off the bogus labor charge, I'd be looking for a different shop to not only handle this particular work, but any future work as well.

Btw, I don't have the labor time standards from Harley for the latest models, but they should be very similar to the 2012 info I do have.  The Harley standard to replace the bars on a heated grip equipped CVO Ultra in 2012 was 2.9 hours.  That's the total, and it includes removing all the necessary parts and reinstalling everything (including those grips) on the new bars.  So if they're charging you 3 hours for the bar replacement that sounds about right, but there shouldn't be another 3 hours for the grips.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Kodas

• Close to the Dragon, Cherohala, and BRP
    • TN

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Black Licorice
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 (sold)
    • CVO3: 2012 BBP Street Glide gone
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 09:31:30 PM »

Well I just added the CVO heated grips to my CVO Streetglide.  It is already wired on throttle side. Took me another 30 minutes to run the clutch side through.  I had to extend the heated grip wires but that is only 30 minutes of work to solder two wires on each side.  If a lowly forum member can do it an hour a certified technician should be able to at least match that😎
Screw it let's ride

RedNose44

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 11:08:39 PM »

Thanks for the replies. Lots of great info. I will be talking with the dealer again and an indy and see what they both quote.

RedNose44

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 02:48:22 PM »

Talked to the local indy this morning and he quoted me 4 hours for bars and heated grips. I will talk to the dealership when I get the bars back from powder coat. I don't think they will be close though...

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 11:51:56 AM »

I have a set of Wild 1's on now. Do any of the heated grips fit the 1.25" bars?
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 12:05:49 PM »

I put Heat demons on my Wild 1's...just gotta order the ones for 1.25" bars.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

RedNose44

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 12:53:54 PM »

The bars step down to 1" where the grips and switch housings are installed. I have always run standard grips on my 1.25" bars, and my last bike had 12" Wild 1's. Standard size grips should work unless I am missing something?

BTW, local dealer is now telling me 4 hours for bars and heated grips. I have decided to go with some Performance Machine grips instead. I had hand surgery last year and needed some thinner grips like the PM's. The factory CVO grips (which are the same as the HD heated grips) with the taper hurt my hand because of the increased diameter near the switch housing. It took me a while to figure it out, but I realized my other bikes grip's have a much smaller diameter and they don't cause me any pain.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 12:56:24 PM by RedNose44 »

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 01:04:33 PM »

My handlebars are internally wired. The HD kit says not to be used for internally wired handlebars?
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 01:05:14 PM »

It's been a few years since I installed the grips.....but, I'm sure there was a difference in the controller/clamp for 1" & 1 1/4" bars...yep just looked at my wife's bike (1") and mine (1 1/4")....I think there has been a design change since my last installation experience.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 01:06:02 PM »

My handlebars are internally wired. The HD kit says not to be used for internally wired handlebars?
I think that 'myth' has been debunked.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 03:27:30 AM »

Edit: I told the service writer that I would be asking on the forums what people were being charged. His response was that people on various forums don't know what they are talking about. I am thinking of going to an independent shop and getting a quote from them as well.
Every dealer says that when challenged.  Sad thing is that people on this forum know more than the dealers.  Need to finesse these issues with them.  I try to let them avoid embarrassment by saying "some of the techs I've talked with say _______," then ask if we can look at the wiring or parts diagram.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 03:55:20 AM »

I have installed a few sets and each time it was slightly different. Never on a CVO but once on an Ultra that was a real PITA. Wiring was extremely small and fragile connection which required making my own connector with the small wire on the grips to the electronic throttle. Ended up soldering it together as it was such a poor connection. I would never place a time without seeing the grips again.  One kit was easy and next could be a bear.
Will

txn.style

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Black Licorice with Midnight Cobalt Flames
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 03:04:14 PM »

Well I just added the CVO heated grips to my CVO Streetglide.  It is already wired on throttle side. Took me another 30 minutes to run the clutch side through.  I had to extend the heated grip wires but that is only 30 minutes of work to solder two wires on each side.  If a lowly forum member can do it an hour a certified technician should be able to at least match that😎

What heated hand grips did you use because I was told that HD doesn't sell one that fits the 2016 FLHXSE.  Thanks in advance.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 05:36:30 PM »

What heated hand grips did you use because I was told that HD doesn't sell one that fits the 2016 FLHXSE.  Thanks in advance.

What style grips do you want?  I think I'm correct in saying the 2016 comes with the Airflow collection, correct me if I'm wrong.  The FLHXSE comes with the non-heated version, and the FLHTKSE comes with the heated version.  If you like the grips currently on the bike, you can just order the production parts used on the Limited.  It's more expensive than buying one of Harley's kits when you buy the individual production parts.  Example below for the Airflow parts:

P/N 56100096 - RH Heated Grip  -  $131 MSRP
P/N 56100097A - LH Heated Grip -  $353 MSRP
P/N 56100094 - End Cap for RH Grip - $14 MSRP

You could also go with the grips used on one of the earlier model year CVO Limited or Ultra's.  Many have used the Rumble style grips from earlier CVO Ultra's on their Street Glides for instance.

As for the kits in the catalog, I have no clue why they say the Airflow kit won't fit the late model Touring bikes.  Most likely it's nothing more than a wiring connector difference, which is easily handled by any competent installer.

In other words, you can install heated grips on a 2016 CVO Street Glide.  I'm sure more than one person has already done it.  Don't be confused or dissuaded by the misinformation put out by the Harley dealership personnel.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

txn.style

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 06:37:05 PM »

What style grips do you want?  I think I'm correct in saying the 2016 comes with the Airflow collection, correct me if I'm wrong.  The FLHXSE comes with the non-heated version, and the FLHTKSE comes with the heated version.  If you like the grips currently on the bike, you can just order the production parts used on the Limited.  It's more expensive than buying one of Harley's kits when you buy the individual production parts.  Example below for the Airflow parts:

P/N 56100096 - RH Heated Grip  -  $131 MSRP
P/N 56100097A - LH Heated Grip -  $353 MSRP
P/N 56100094 - End Cap for RH Grip - $14 MSRP

You could also go with the grips used on one of the earlier model year CVO Limited or Ultra's.  Many have used the Rumble style grips from earlier CVO Ultra's on their Street Glides for instance.

As for the kits in the catalog, I have no clue why they say the Airflow kit won't fit the late model Touring bikes.  Most likely it's nothing more than a wiring connector difference, which is easily handled by any competent installer.

In other words, you can install heated grips on a 2016 CVO Street Glide.  I'm sure more than one person has already done it.  Don't be confused or dissuaded by the misinformation put out by the Harley dealership personnel.

Jerry
Thanks for the feedback. It has something to do with the "chubby" handlebars used on THE 2016 FLHXSE. The handlebars are actually too big - unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 07:46:41 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. It has something to do with the "chubby" handlebars used on THE 2016 FLHXSE. The handlebars are actually too big - unfortunately.

I'm not sure I understand the reference to "chubby" handlebars, but according to the parts catalog the 2016 FLHXSE uses the exact same part number handlebars as is used on the 2016 FLHTKSE, which comes with heated grips.  So while you may not be able to use one of the existing kits in the accessory catalog, you could still use the production grips from the  CVO Limited.

Chrome Handlebar Part Number 55800214 is used on both bikes.  Two colors of the FLHXSE use the black version, part number 55800308.

Btw, I did find a different listing for the Airflow Heated Grip kit in the accessory catalog that is supposed to fit Rushmore bikes.  It still says it won't fit CVO's, but Harley has been saying that about all the heated grip kits going back as far as I can remember, so it will take a little more digging to see if this time there really is a valid reason for that disclaimer or if it's just a continuation of that old misleading information.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/airflow-collection-heated-hand-grips

Jerry

txn.style

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 07:56:24 PM »

I'm not sure I understand the reference to "chubby" handlebars, but according to the parts catalog the 2016 FLHXSE uses the exact same part number handlebars as is used on the 2016 FLHTKSE, which comes with heated grips.  So while you may not be able to use one of the existing kits in the accessory catalog, you could still use the production grips from the  CVO Limited.

Chrome Handlebar Part Number 55800214 is used on both bikes.  Two colors of the FLHXSE use the black version, part number 55800308.

Btw, I did find a different listing for the Airflow Heated Grip kit in the accessory catalog that is supposed to fit Rushmore bikes.  It still says it won't fit CVO's, but Harley has been saying that about all the heated grip kits going back as far as I can remember, so it will take a little more digging to see if this time there really is a valid reason for that disclaimer or if it's just a continuation of that old misleading information.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/airflow-collection-heated-hand-grips

Jerry
Thanks Jerry!

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 21 queries.