Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Headlight question...  (Read 1641 times)

Cartman34

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

Headlight question...
« on: August 09, 2019, 06:18:41 AM »

2017 CVO Street Glide, is the stock CVO headlight a "daymaker" type?
My headlight isn't as bright as I'd like it. My '09 Street Glide Amazon "Daymaker" was quite a bit brighter BUT, I don't want to buy one for the CVO IF it's already as good as can be expected.
Thanks
'17 CVO Screaming Eagle Street Glide
'05 Softail Deuce

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
Re: Headlight question...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 07:14:24 AM »

Harley is notorious for pointing headlight at the fender. Check headlight adjustment .
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 07:34:42 AM »

Harley is notorious for pointing headlight at the fender. Check headlight adjustment .

What Chuck said...

Youda thunk that for all the set-up money the dealer charges for each bike, headlight adjustment would be something to check.  Nope, I've had to properly align my headlights on every motorcycle I've ever owned, using their procedure (MoCo and others) to include the recent purchase of my Chieftain.  They are always off and some more than others.  Had one sportster so bad out all it lit was a few feet in front of the wheel. 

Cartman, check alignment first.  If it's good, you may have a "weak" LED headlight.  I've had one (aftermarket) that had to be replaced (Kury. units).  Replacement was much brighter so had to a bad light on the first one.

Also, I just replaced my halogen headlight on the Chieftain with an aftermarket "daymaker style" LED I got for $55 on Amazon.  I thought what the heck, for $55 bucks if it doesn't work, I can return it.  If it does, I've saved a bunch of moola (the Indian equiv. is $400 plus).  I'm impressed with the output and quality of the light.  It may not last but I can replace it for another $55 a few times and still be less than the OEM replacement...something to consider

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 08:02:09 AM »

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 08:06:26 AM »

Sunpie is a good aftermarket brand on Amazon. $100 gets you a headlight and the two spots. Installed in 2011 triglide, 2006 ultra and 2011 heritage. May have been a slight differance in adjustment but they appear to be brighter than my daymakers.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 08:23:19 AM »

The Daymaker LED headlights Harley uses these days are projector beam lights, unlike the older reflector style you're probably used to on your 2009.  That alone will make a significant difference in perceived light output.  The biggest complaints I've seen after the change have concerned the amount of light to the sides and up close (when the lights are actually aimed properly, which they rarely are from the factory).  Once you get your light aimed correctly, if you find it lacking in output to the sides and up close, you could always add the Aux lights like those on the Limited.  Or get one of the reflector style LED headlamps from the aftermarket and sell your stock lamp if you don't want to add aux lights.  The reflector style lights have more light scatter to the sides and down, you will see the biggest difference in the two styles when cornering btw.  The projector style is especially hard to get used to on a fixed fairing bike like a road glide when cornering.  It seems like many/most of the RG guys have added aux lights, at least partially due to this issue.  The auto industry deals with this on their high end vehicles with headlamp systems that automatically turn to the inside of curves and turns.  Recently Harley borrowed that idea and will sell you such a system if you don't mind the $850 price tag.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/7-in-daymaker-adaptive-led-headlamp

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fier23

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 04:51:10 PM »

My headlight sucks too but it was pointed at the ground big time. After the adjustment it is worlds better. Now with that said my China daymaker on my 18 SG special is better just due to on high beam the low also stays on. The Harley brand cannot be made to do that. B.S.........

Jeremy 2019 Street Glide CVO Black Forest

Cartman34

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 08:52:58 PM »

Okay on the adjustment idea... I just seem to outrun the brightness at regular speed... SO, I'll aim her up a lil and try it. I put a Sunpie in my old '09 and it was fantastic. This stock CVO light somewhat resembles the Sunpie so I didn't want to replace it if it wasn't needed.
'17 CVO Screaming Eagle Street Glide
'05 Softail Deuce

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 10:42:16 PM »

Okay on the adjustment idea... I just seem to outrun the brightness at regular speed... SO, I'll aim her up a lil and try it. I put a Sunpie in my old '09 and it was fantastic. This stock CVO light somewhat resembles the Sunpie so I didn't want to replace it if it wasn't needed.

Please, do the correct aim process, not just "aim her up a lil".  I haven't run into a single person yet who could accurately align headlights in anything, car or bike, just by driving down the road and tweaking the adjuster screws.  I have been blinded by such people however, since they tend to equate cranking the light up (no matter where it was to start) with better light output.  You will get the best range and light quality when the light is aimed per specifications.  Spec is for the light to be parallel to the ground on high beam, and slightly angled down on low beam.  Cranking it up any higher is only good for spotting low flying aircraft and tree tops.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 06:58:25 AM »

Cranking it up any higher is only good for spotting low flying aircraft and tree tops.

That explains the headlights on some of the big wheel mudder pickups we see at night.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.