Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Silver star Headlight bulbs  (Read 4913 times)

chesterc

• Full CVO Member
  • 04,Pumpkin,300wt HawgWired,18/21
Silver star Headlight bulbs
« on: September 18, 2008, 04:55:26 PM »

I was wondering what the best silver star bulb would be to install in my dual bulb headlight, it has a h-8 and a h-11, a 35 and a 55 wt bulb, thought about 2 55wts, or 55,65 or 2 65 wts, pulled the Xenolink system out cause I couldn't get the noise out of my radio after all the time I worked on it, rewired , checked all connections, and unmounted them and held them as far away from the bike as possible , and still motor noise, and just as soon as I would unplug the ballast it wold quit, so no more hid for me, looks like a good ebay item for me, 
C----------

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: Silver star Headlight bulbs
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 04:17:40 AM »

i put hid lights in my truck this week and love em.   I don't have em on my bike and was thinking about it.  If it messes up the radio and has noise, then forget it.   Do anything with the Silverstars?

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 07:20:18 AM »

I was wondering what the best silver star bulb would be to install in my dual bulb headlight, it has a h-8 and a h-11, a 35 and a 55 wt bulb, thought about 2 55wts, or 55,65 or 2 65 wts, pulled the Xenolink system out cause I couldn't get the noise out of my radio after all the time I worked on it, rewired , checked all connections, and unmounted them and held them as far away from the bike as possible , and still motor noise, and just as soon as I would unplug the ballast it wold quit, so no more hid for me, looks like a good ebay item for me, 

Wow good to know I have not heard any one say this. I was thinking of putting HID's on mine....I might wait now.
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 09:54:23 AM »

I have tha stock headlight for the 05 seeg. Is there a better bulb I can use other than what I can buy at the dealer?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 11:57:33 AM »

I have tha stock headlight for the 05 seeg. Is there a better bulb I can use other than what I can buy at the dealer?

Yes, there is.....HID, as described above.  Jim (hd_dude on this forum) has them in stock at his shop.  A bit pricey but they make a huge difference.  Enought that just about every member from Nor Cal (there are a lot of us) has them in each of their bikes.

We (Terrie and I) don't have the noise problem in our bikes with the HID and I haven't heard of anybody else having this problem. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 04:53:54 PM »

Ok cool. I'll give Jim a try this week. Thanks. 

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 09:55:10 PM »

One of the reasons I went to HID was because of the lack of supply of the H8 and 11s. Blew the low beam on a road trip and could not find one anywhere. I did finally found 2 PIAAs. The PIAAs burned out in 4 months. $80 down the tube.
 But if ya want more light out of the stock type bulb, you can put an H9 (65watt) in place of the H11. If you can find one.
 Maybe you just got a ballest that was faulty. Did ya try to get it swapped out under warranty? I have a very slight hum from mine. Can't hear it once the motors running, ;)
All the bells and whistles. Including 6 speed, GPS and heated grips.
OK, I'm getting old. Get over it!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 10:39:12 PM »

i think i'd like to try just finding a better bulb for now..  can always try the hid later on..     i have the headlight with just 1 bulb in it..  suggestions?

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 04:54:47 PM »

i think i'd like to try just finding a better bulb for now..  can always try the hid later on..     i have the headlight with just 1 bulb in it..  suggestions?

Kuryakyn has a 90/100 watt H4 replacement. I think NAPA does too, for off road use. :)
All the bells and whistles. Including 6 speed, GPS and heated grips.
OK, I'm getting old. Get over it!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 08:00:20 PM »

Sounds good. I'll give it a try.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 10:00:38 PM »

Are the ones you're talking about, the Xtralights that HD Dude sells? I read he was a dealer of these lights and I wrote him an email yesterday about whether you can also get the same product for the passing lights for my Ultra to match the color of the headlight. I see that Xtralights have two versions of HID ballasts, the digital ballast and non digital. https://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=101Which ones did you go with and what color? Maybe the type of ballast makes a difference whether you get noise in the radio.

Yes.  Couldn't tell you the color.......it's the same color that Jim has put in all the Nor Cal member's bikes.  Ernie (Ernizep) changed his driving light bulbs to something that is about as close to the HID lights as I've saw.  Not sure what those are, but they're not yellow like our stock bulbs are......they are a much whiter light.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 11:11:50 PM »

If you want somehing brighter that the Kuryakyn try this location.  http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/t.pl/bulbdatasearch.html?v=&x=&b=h4&g=&f=&click.x=33&click.y=7

There is one up to 130/100 Watt.  Good site because it also give you amp draw also.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 11:17:50 PM »

I've been using the Silverstars on my Streetglide... They dont seem to last that long... I buy the standard Automotive H4/9003 versions.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 09:25:50 PM »

What did you end up doing?

Scott

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 10:15:41 PM »

I liked the brightness of the Silverstars, but the short lifespan sucks... but I'm a dumbass, I keep buying them!

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.