• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
GPS
« on: January 24, 2009, 06:55:17 PM »

I loaded the 2 disc into my GPS and I think everything loaded OK. It can't find a satelite. The bike is in the garage. Is this the problem?
Bill

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
Re: GPS
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 07:22:17 PM »

I loaded the 2 disc into my GPS and I think everything loaded OK. It can't find a satelite. The bike is in the garage. Is this the problem?

That's your problem, it needs to be outdoors and can take as long as 15 minutes to obtain the first satellite fix.

Bob
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 05:34:35 AM »

Ditto  :2vrolijk_21:
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 01:59:13 PM »

I put the bike out in the yard for 30 minutes and still tells me looking for GPS. I'll put on my 1000 miles and let the dealer worry about it. Only 800 miles to go and the dealer is 160 miles from my house.
Bill

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 02:02:57 PM »

Shut everything off, roll it outside and for the initial start up make sure their is a clear view to the sky (no trees).

Turn it on and wait.

Some GPS units can take up to 1 half hour to get their initial position location.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 03:35:06 PM »

Even being too close to the side of the house can effect picking up the satelites (XM or GPS).  As mentioned, tree canopy can also interfere.

I predict you will end up with a Garmin before all is said and done... :nixweiss: :o
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 04:53:12 PM »

Does anyone have a picture of the garmin installed on a SEUG
Bill

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »

Does anyone have a picture of the garmin installed on a SEUG
Check out this thread - Standard GPS or Garmin - implementation starting at reply #11.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 09:32:35 AM »

Not being a fan of the Zumo I as well as AJ and new convert Hogasm use the Garmin 478 (x7x series are all the same body and mounts)

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 09:33:43 AM »

Because of the way it works I find it more comfortable on the right side, although AJ prefers his on the left.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 09:34:50 AM »

I also use a Techmount. Mounting holes are universal, similar to the VESA standards for flat screen monitors and TV's.
Although I changed the orientation of the mount to get the GPS closer to the bars, so this required new holes.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 09:36:52 AM »

With the XM antenna

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 09:38:11 AM »

Mine is hardwired inside the fairing for 12V supply and output of the XM radio to the rear of the bikes radio.

MV 2013

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 09:38:47 AM »

Thanks for all of the information. That looks like the way I will go. I still can't get the harley one to find a GPS.
Bill

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 09:45:49 AM »

Either of the two garmin's mentioned here are superior in ease of operation and usefulness over the factory installed unit.
Go with the Garmin and you will never look back.

MV 2013

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 12:52:07 PM »

Gatta luv the Garmin!  :-* har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 03:10:17 PM »

Even being too close to the side of the house can effect picking up the satelites (XM or GPS).  As mentioned, tree canopy can also interfere.

I predict you will end up with a Garmin before all is said and done... :nixweiss: :o

Ditto!
In fact, I took the GPS card out of my radio and sold it on Ebay!  Easiest $500 I've ever made!
 :2vrolijk_21:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 11:30:40 PM »

Ditto!
In fact, I took the GPS card out of my radio and sold it on Ebay!  Easiest $500 I've ever made!
 :2vrolijk_21:

Your lucky,, that will easily pay for a Zumo   :2vrolijk_21:

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 08:11:03 AM »

After about 400 miles the gps just turned on. Now that it's working it still S%$@s. I live in the country and it only finds the big roads. The cheep $100 in my truck knows where I'm at all the time.
Bill

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 08:38:04 AM »

I hate my GPS.  I thought I had this thing figured out.  I was out today and told it to take me home.  It kept telling me "Off Road" and then kept going to some street that I sure never saw.  I tried to direct myself to a gas station and to a Harley dealer.  It kept telling me to turn on this street that I have never heard of.  The same street for miles  and miles.  I thought that I'll get it back on track once I turn onto Rt 30, as there is a dealer on Rt 30 dead ahead about 15 to 16 miles.  It came up telling me to turn on that same street again and told me the dealer was 70 miles away.  I really dislike this GPS, but I'll get the manual out and try this all again.  I know it worked perfectly for me the last time I tried it.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 08:41:10 AM »

My GPS thinks there are no roads in Virginia. I'm always off road. It sometime does a re calculate but only after I'm driving for a mile or so. It's junk. 
Bill

bogman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO-Softail-Springer-FXSTSSE3
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 08:52:49 AM »

As mentioned, tree canopy can also interfere.

yup, satellites transmits a radio signal, a shed/tunnel will affect reception, your gps is just a reciever

Modern GPS will get a fix in a minute or two

here's a lnik for when you come over to Europe and do some runs using your gps

http://www.myrides.co.uk/index.php?page=gps-routes

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 08:56:58 AM »

yup, satellites transmits a radio signal, a shed/tunnel will affect reception, your gps is just a reciever

Modern GPS will get a fix in a minute or two

here's a lnik for when you come over to Europe and do some runs using your gps

http://www.myrides.co.uk/index.php?page=gps-routes

My GPS can't find it's way to a destination directly ahead on the highway I'm riding on.  I don't think it's ready for the European circuit yet.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 11:58:47 AM »

My GPS can't find it's way to a destination directly ahead on the highway I'm riding on.  I don't think it's ready for the European circuit yet.

When  I got my first GPS (A Garmin Quest) I was testing it coming home to the Pottsville area from Bloomsburg.  I route I know well.  I kept ignoring it, since it wanted me to get onto 80 which makes no sense to get from there to my house.  The funny thing is it kept recalculating a new rout to get me back up to 80.  I was all the way down to Minersville, about 5 miles from my house and it told me time remaining was 2.4 hours!  It was still trying to get me to go up to 80, even though it had recalculated numerous times.  I finally stopped the navigation and then told it home again, and it calculated it fine.  Now this was OK because I was just playing with it, not actually navigating with it.  Since then whenenver I start going a different route with any GPS I stop the trip and restart it as a new route, jsut to be sure it doesn't get "fixated" on a particular road.  Don't know if that helps but since you said it had worked before I thought I throw it out there.

One other thing, I've actually navigated to every dealer on Rt. 30 in PA using the built in GPS and it found all of them, other then missing the turn for the one in Greeneville by about 20 yard. (I think that was the one... In an old supermarket type building.... had a Honda dealership as well...). But I could see the sign so it was no problem.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 03:42:16 PM »

When  I got my first GPS (A Garmin Quest) I was testing it coming home to the Pottsville area from Bloomsburg.  I route I know well.  I kept ignoring it, since it wanted me to get onto 80 which makes no sense to get from there to my house.  The funny thing is it kept recalculating a new rout to get me back up to 80.  I was all the way down to Minersville, about 5 miles from my house and it told me time remaining was 2.4 hours!  It was still trying to get me to go up to 80, even though it had recalculated numerous times.  I finally stopped the navigation and then told it home again, and it calculated it fine.  Now this was OK because I was just playing with it, not actually navigating with it.  Since then whenenver I start going a different route with any GPS I stop the trip and restart it as a new route, jsut to be sure it doesn't get "fixated" on a particular road.  Don't know if that helps but since you said it had worked before I thought I throw it out there.

One other thing, I've actually navigated to every dealer on Rt. 30 in PA using the built in GPS and it found all of them, other then missing the turn for the one in Greeneville by about 20 yard. (I think that was the one... In an old supermarket type building.... had a Honda dealership as well...). But I could see the sign so it was no problem.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Close...Greensburg.  I did try turning off the NAV and restarting it.  Maybe I'll try taking the disc out entirely and starting fresh.  Before we start to get to warm weather, I have promised myself to learn how to use that GPS.  Like you said, it was no big deal, since I knew where I was going, and I guess that's the time to learn.  I don't want to be 5 states away and have it take me the wrong way without recognizing it.  That's where a Garmin would be better.  At least you have a map to look at and see if the route makes any sense.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 10:03:39 AM »

I assume your GPS problems are with the factory unit?

Sell it on eBay and buy a real one.

I don't know about the HD unit - check your manual, but most GPS units will allow you to route your trip in one of three ways.

Direct (dtraight line)

Shortest or quickest, which are not the same.

Shortest may be back roads between a and b, but quickest may be the highway, which may be why your GPS kept recalculating  your route back to the highway.

And as you get better GPS units you can set them up to avoid certain items like toll roads, u-turns 1 way streets (which BTW the were first seen in New Jersey when the Morro Castle ran up on the beach).

MV 2013

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 03:31:46 PM »

I assume your GPS problems are with the factory unit?

Sell it on eBay and buy a real one.

I don't know about the HD unit - check your manual, but most GPS units will allow you to route your trip in one of three ways.

Direct (dtraight line)

Shortest or quickest, which are not the same.

Shortest may be back roads between a and b, but quickest may be the highway, which may be why your GPS kept recalculating  your route back to the highway.

And as you get better GPS units you can set them up to avoid certain items like toll roads, u-turns 1 way streets (which BTW the were first seen in New Jersey when the Morro Castle ran up on the beach).

I started reading the manual again and checking out my GPS.  For one thing, I learned that I can't program destinations while the bike is moving.  So, I guess if you are driving down the road and see that you need gas, you have to pull off and stop, and then program in the nearest gas station, and hope that the GPS is being accurate.  Another thing, I noticed that my satellite location is showing up as all zeroes again.  Maybe it's always that way in the garage, but I'll have to get it outside and see if it's being recognized by satellites again.  I'm determined to see if I can make this thing something workable.  If I can't get it working in some sort of satisfactory manner by the time nice weather rolls around, then I'll just have to get a Zumo 550.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »

I started reading the manual again and checking out my GPS.  For one thing, I learned that I can't program destinations while the bike is moving.  So, I guess if you are driving down the road and see that you need gas, you have to pull off and stop, and then program in the nearest gas station, and hope that the GPS is being accurate.  Another thing, I noticed that my satellite location is showing up as all zeroes again.  Maybe it's always that way in the garage, but I'll have to get it outside and see if it's being recognized by satellites again.  I'm determined to see if I can make this thing something workable.  If I can't get it working in some sort of satisfactory manner by the time nice weather rolls around, then I'll just have to get a Zumo 550.
Not True.  You can't program a specific address while moving.  You can however use the POI (Points Of Interest) feature while moving.  This allows you to select Fuel, Food, HD Dealers while moving.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 03:51:53 PM »

Not True.  You can't program a specific address while moving.  You can however use the POI (Points Of Interest) feature while moving.  This allows you to select Fuel, Food, HD Dealers while moving.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Okay, then that explains why I couldn't change to a programmed address, but it doesn't explain why I couldn't get it to guide me to a gas station or Harley dealer.  The next half decent day we have, I'm going to get this thing figured out so it works.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 05:16:53 PM »

Get your Zumo now and save yourself the aggravation

MV 2013

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 09:02:42 PM »

Get your Zumo now and save yourself the aggravation

Wouldn't want to over-stimulate the economy.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2009, 10:17:41 PM »

Wouldn't want to over-stimulate the economy.

OK

I hate my GPS.  I thought I had this thing figured out.

.............. I have promised myself to learn how to use that GPS.  ..............  I don't want to be 5 states away and have it take me the wrong way without recognizing it.  That's where a Garmin would be better. 

My favorite

I started reading the manual again and ..................

but it doesn't explain why I couldn't get it to guide me to a gas station or Harley dealer.  The next half decent day we have, I'm going to get this thing figured out so it works.

MV 2013

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2009, 11:24:06 PM »

Porthole...ya tryin' to tell me somethin'?   :behead: :ROFLOL:

I haven't even neared the frustration point yet.   One thing I thought of is that with GPS, I can't get lost and that's often a big part of the fun when taking a ride.  I do still have the Blackberry GPS to fall back on, but if you are out of cell range...no GPS.  I do have a problem with spending the money on the Zumo without at least learning how to use what I have and seeing if it will be sufficient for my purposes.  I really never saw the need for GPS until I had one that came with the bike.  If it weren't for having that chitty thing, I wouldn't be in the middle of this thread in the first place.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2009, 09:51:19 AM »

I haven't even neared the frustration point yet.   One thing I thought of is that with GPS, I can't get lost and that's often a big part of the fun when taking a ride.  I do still have the Blackberry GPS to fall back on, but if you are out of cell range...no GPS.  I do have a problem with spending the money on the Zumo without at least learning how to use what I have and seeing if it will be sufficient for my purposes.  I really never saw the need for GPS until I had one that came with the bike.  If it weren't for having that chitty thing, I wouldn't be in the middle of this thread in the first place.
Just an aside, but do you find the blackberry GPS worth the monthly subscription fee?  :-\  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2009, 10:19:35 AM »

Just an aside, but do you find the blackberry GPS worth the monthly subscription fee?  :-\  spyder

Spyder

With most cell phones having built in GPS and then having the cell carriers charge you to use I find arrogant.

I had an Apple iPhone to try out for a month, don't know if the GPS was a cost option or not, but the GPS worked with Google Earth right on the iPhone and that was pretty cool. But it is not something I would pay for.

MV 2013

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2009, 10:23:03 AM »

Spyder

With most cell phones having built in GPS and then having the cell carriers charge you to use I find arrogant.

I had an Apple iPhone to try out for a month, don't know if the GPS was a cost option or not, but the GPS worked with Google Earth right on the iPhone and that was pretty cool. But it is not something I would pay for.
I agree.....there are times I think I'd like to have it, but can't pull the trigger on another monthly chg.  Damn 'crackberry'.  :huepfenlol2: har!  spyder

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2009, 10:25:57 AM »

Actually, I cancelled my GPS on the Blackberry.  It did work great, but I only used it a few times going to places I already knew how to get to, so I didn't see much value in it.  They can turn that on or off immediately for you, so my thought is that if I ever get in the situation that I don't have a GPS available and really need it, I can call and have it turned on immediately.  They even have one day rates for GPS with Verizon, so if I were to go on a trip and need it for the day, I think it's around $2.99 to have it turned on for the day.  What a racket they have going.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2009, 10:34:38 AM »

Actually, I cancelled my GPS on the Blackberry.  It did work great, but I only used it a few times going to places I already knew how to get to, so I didn't see much value in it.  They can turn that on or off immediately for you, so my thought is that if I ever get in the situation that I don't have a GPS available and really need it, I can call and have it turned on immediately.  They even have one day rates for GPS with Verizon, so if I were to go on a trip and need it for the day, I think it's around $2.99 to have it turned on for the day.  What a racket they have going.

I got the Everything Package with Sprint...which includes the GPS at no extra charge.  I've used the GPS a few times when I'm on the road traveling and looking for a place to eat or see.  It works really nice, but I wouldn't pay the $29.99/mo more if it wasn't included in the package.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2009, 11:24:01 PM »

I tried to get the GPS set up again.  I hit the NAV button twice and held it in and then hit Sensor, and then I had the calibration screen on.  It shows "0" satellites on that screen.  I took it for a ride with that screen on and still picked up no satellites.  Is that what I am looking for?  For that screen to show satellite contact?  It doesn't make sense to me, since it worked perfectly for me when I first set it up and tried it.  Any guidance?

Now, it goes directly to a screen that says "Starting Navigation System   Please Wait for GPS" and then some other things. It just sits there and never does anything.  I am getting to the frustration point with this GPS system.  I'm usually a wizard with figuring things like this out, and I have a few friends with the same bike that are counting on me figuring this out, so I can set them up too.  I don't want to admit defeat.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2009, 07:04:39 AM »

I drove my bike 200 miles with the GPS on before it picked up the satelite. It has been OK since then. The dealer has a new unit he is going to install on my next trip.
Bill

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2009, 08:55:34 AM »

:nixweiss:

MV 2013

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2009, 08:58:03 AM »

My dealer (Harley of Baltimore) just wants to make sure it does not go out on a long trip. I still might buy another unit to mount on the bike. I don't like the maps on the Harley one.
Bill

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2009, 04:52:22 PM »

I called Harley Customer Service today and spoke with them about my GPS.  They told me that they have finally narrowed down the problem and that there were bikes built between certain dates that are having the problems...not all of them, but many.  I was told that there wasn't anything worth trying to walk through on this to try to make it work and that I should get my bike to the dealer and have them call Technical Support.  I was told that my NAV module will need replaced.  So, the dealer is picking up my bike on Monday and I am hoping that my exhaust shows up while it's there and I can get everything done in one trip.  I believe I saw it mentioned maybe more than once that the NAV modules are on backorder.  I really hope this doesn't end up being a ridiculously long process to get it working properly.  They better have my bike ready to ride by the time the weather starts clearing up here, or they may have a lunatic on their hands to deal with.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2009, 05:37:01 PM »

How about a map???????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :huepfenjump3: :pineapple: :pepper: :2vrolijk_21: :drink: :huepfenlol2: :P :P :P
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2009, 06:56:12 PM »

How about a map???????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :huepfenjump3: :pineapple: :pepper: :2vrolijk_21: :drink: :huepfenlol2: :P :P :P

Come on.  Be serious.  They don't really make those anymore, do they?  I paid for a bike with GPS, and they damn well better provide me with it.  There is something to be said about plugging in an address and just following the yellow brick road.  If I had to stop and take out a map for every turn, I don't think I'd particularly care for that.  I have no need for GPS for a day trip, but when I'm planning on going for a long haul, to places I have never been to, I think the GPS makes a lot of sense, and certainly keeps you moving when you are trying to get 500-600 miles in for the day.  Face it, this is the age of technology.  That's what brings us here to this forum.  Using a map is like telling someone they don't need a computer to go on a forum to talk about their bikes.  They can go hang at the Harley dealer all day and talk to people in person.   I can rub sticks together and start a fire to light my cigarette, or I can just use a lighter.  Again, I'll look at a map (on the computer though) to get an idea of where I am going for a day trip and I have no need for GPS.  I do think it will come in mighty handy on longer trips, rather than missing a turn by 50 miles before I realize it's time to look at the map again.  But that's just one person's opinion.  Then there's that fact again that I paid for it and I want it to function.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2009, 02:37:25 PM »

Come on.  Be serious.  They don't really make those anymore, do they?  I paid for a bike with GPS, and they damn well better provide me with it.  There is something to be said about plugging in an address and just following the yellow brick road.  If I had to stop and take out a map for every turn, I don't think I'd particularly care for that.  I have no need for GPS for a day trip, but when I'm planning on going for a long haul, to places I have never been to, I think the GPS makes a lot of sense, and certainly keeps you moving when you are trying to get 500-600 miles in for the day.  Face it, this is the age of technology.  That's what brings us here to this forum.  Using a map is like telling someone they don't need a computer to go on a forum to talk about their bikes.  They can go hang at the Harley dealer all day and talk to people in person.   I can rub sticks together and start a fire to light my cigarette, or I can just use a lighter.  Again, I'll look at a map (on the computer though) to get an idea of where I am going for a day trip and I have no need for GPS.  I do think it will come in mighty handy on longer trips, rather than missing a turn by 50 miles before I realize it's time to look at the map again.  But that's just one person's opinion.  Then there's that fact again that I paid for it and I want it to function.

Well, the HD GPS is just a wee bit better than rubbing two sticks together...maybe like slightly damp paper matches.  ;) I understand that you want it to work because you paid for it, but after they get you the new unit, put it on Ebay, get a Garmin, and have the advantages of both a map and turn by turn directions.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2009, 03:30:08 PM »

Well, the HD GPS is just a wee bit better than rubbing two sticks together...maybe like slightly damp paper matches.  ;) I understand that you want it to work because you paid for it, but after they get you the new unit, put it on Ebay, get a Garmin, and have the advantages of both a map and turn by turn directions.

I still think I would be better to have them fix it and then I will hopefully have a functioning unit someday when I go to sell it, and the next sucker can deal with it.  I'll probably end up with a Garmin at some point and possibly sooner than I thought.  I talked to the dealer about it today and I was told that they could hook me up with a Garmin to try out if it looked like there were going to be excessive delays in getting mine working.  They know I'll want one after using it, but the problem I see with that is that if I get one, it won't be the Harley model, but rather direct to the Zumo 550 without the Harley name on it.  They may not appreciate the efforts they made with me when I do that.

I actually tricked it into letting me go to a different screen today by changing the disc from 2 to 1 and back to 2.  I was able to get as far as entering a city and state, and then it would disappear and ask for it again.  I tried a previously saved route, for which the address came up, but it just stayed on "calculating route" and woudn't go any further.  I definitely had it working once, but it won't find the satellites again.  Oh well, it will be in their hands to deal with as of Monday.  The only thing I'm worried about is their care level in handling my bike.  Since they are picking it up, I will have the driver go over the bike carefully to see that there are no scratches or dings of any sort on the bike, and I am going to drive out to the dealer to again go over it with the service manager.  The last thing I want is for them to tell me a scratch was already there...and I don't even want to think anymore about the possibilties with my bike coming back with damage.  I guess I worry about my bike like it was a tender little baby.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2009, 03:37:04 PM »

I would never pay to have a very expensive inbuilt gps in my car or on my bike that just shows me a direction arrow when i can buy a garmin or tom tom and be more flexible

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2009, 03:50:22 PM »

I would never pay to have a very expensive inbuilt gps in my car or on my bike that just shows me a direction arrow when i can buy a garmin or tom tom and be more flexible

But it's not an optional item.  It comes with the bike and I highly doubt that they are going to hand me the part on a warranty claim, and I am not going to play with taking it back apart to remove it and try to sell it.  I simply do not have the cash flow to support spending on another GPS unit at this time, so that's really pretty much out of the question for me right now.  I want my spending now to be aimed at the cost of trips taken on the bike.  That's what I bought it for.  Winter upgrade season is about over for me and it's time to ride.  There's always next winter for me to do the next set of upgrades that I determine I want over the summer months.  It would be foolish for me to spend my money on upgrades that would prevent me from affording to actually go anywhere on the bike. 

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2009, 04:05:23 PM »

I want my spending now to be aimed at the cost of trips taken on the bike.

Thats funny, thats exactly what i said to my wife this morning when she asked why i dont fix up my custom bike this year.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2009, 04:10:55 PM »

I want my spending now to be aimed at the cost of trips taken on the bike.

Thats funny, thats exactly what i said to my wife this morning when she asked why i dont fix up my custom bike this year.

Well, I've officially been out of work for 6 months as of today, and having purchased the bike during that period and doing some upgrades, I've started to feel the pinch in cash reserves.  So the Garmin is off my list for now.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2009, 06:05:37 PM »

I need the new GPS module.  I don't know if someone else posted this or not, but the way to tell if you need the new module on an 09 is this; when you take the outer fairing off and you are facing the backside of the radio, there is a little sticker at the bottom left corner on the unit (about the size of a pencil eraser or smaller) and if the sticker is green, you need a new one.  If it's purple, you don't need one.  They are on backorder and I was not given a time frame on the backorder.  I guess I'll just won't be able to find my way to get anywhere for a while.

strasinner

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 ultra classic cvo
    • CVO2: 08 Heritage (non cvo of course)
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2009, 11:44:59 PM »

I need the new GPS module.  I don't know if someone else posted this or not, but the way to tell if you need the new module on an 09 is this; when you take the outer fairing off and you are facing the backside of the radio, there is a little sticker at the bottom left corner on the unit (about the size of a pencil eraser or smaller) and if the sticker is green, you need a new one.  If it's purple, you don't need one.  They are on backorder and I was not given a time frame on the backorder.  I guess I'll just won't be able to find my way to get anywhere for a while.

Did you ever get this fixed? Mine does the same chit, and my remotes don't unlock the bags or tourpak. Friggin Harleys! I still love it.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2009, 12:13:59 AM »

Did you ever get this fixed? Mine does the same chit, and my remotes don't unlock the bags or tourpak. Friggin Harleys! I still love it.

They got my new module in and installed it.  It didn't work.  They put the original one back in, while they ordered another one.  The original started working again on the way home.  I spoke to the service manager and he called me back to let me know he spoke with technical support and they told him that I still need to get a new one installed.  They told him that even though mine started working again, it will eventually stop working for me.  So, they are getting me another new module to try.  So, yes, it's working, but no, I didn't get it fixed yet.

I haven't had any problems with the remote.  Does the button on the fairing work to lock and unlock the luggage?  If it does, then it sounds like you just have a problem with the remotes and the dealer should be able to reprogram those for you, or they have dead batteries, or they are junk and need replaced.  That would seem like all of the options there.  If they don't work from the fairing switch, then it a problem on the bike with the locks...maybe as simple as a fuse.

strasinner

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2009, 11:10:46 AM »

They got my new module in and installed it.  It didn't work.  They put the original one back in, while they ordered another one.  The original started working again on the way home.  I spoke to the service manager and he called me back to let me know he spoke with technical support and they told him that I still need to get a new one installed.  They told him that even though mine started working again, it will eventually stop working for me.  So, they are getting me another new module to try.  So, yes, it's working, but no, I didn't get it fixed yet.

I haven't had any problems with the remote.  Does the button on the fairing work to lock and unlock the luggage?  If it does, then it sounds like you just have a problem with the remotes and the dealer should be able to reprogram those for you, or they have dead batteries, or they are junk and need replaced.  That would seem like all of the options there.  If they don't work from the fairing switch, then it a problem on the bike with the locks...maybe as simple as a fuse.

Thanks for help 1abastarsmda,
                        My bike needs the lock/receiver module replaced. The GPS problem: as I type this I have the bike sitting outside with nav. on trying to hook-up with satellites, I only gave it a couple minutes yesterday, thought I would be more patient today. I'll let you know if anything happens.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2009, 02:07:22 PM »

Thanks for help 1abastarsmda,
                        My bike needs the lock/receiver module replaced. The GPS problem: as I type this I have the bike sitting outside with nav. on trying to hook-up with satellites, I only gave it a couple minutes yesterday, thought I would be more patient today. I'll let you know if anything happens.

You may need to ride it around to get it to fix on some different satellites.  For the XM radio, I was able to leave it parked in the driveway to acquire satellites, but that didn't work for me on the NAV.  I guess it has to do with where the bike is sitting also, so it may work for you.

strasinner

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2009, 10:24:24 PM »

You may need to ride it around to get it to fix on some different satellites.  For the XM radio, I was able to leave it parked in the driveway to acquire satellites, but that didn't work for me on the NAV.  I guess it has to do with where the bike is sitting also, so it may work for you.

Dude I've gone 250 miles and that damn thing still don't work, it searched the whole time! XM radio works, it downloaded all the channels fine. Went to the selling dealer today (not my regular dealer) and it seemed to me that they really don't know much about these NAV systems. Told them about the green tag, purple tag thing, and I don't think they listened very well. Now I have to go back when they aren't so busy so they can remove the fairing. The dealer is an 1 1/2 hours away. I really don't even want them to take my baby apart. We shouldn't have to deal with this BS after spending so much on a bike, nor should the dealer. It is not really their fault either, in my case I wished they would have checked these things in Jan. when I paid for it. Instead of me finding them in March when they delivered it.  Just venting my thoughts!

Rob

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2009, 11:08:01 PM »

Dude I've gone 250 miles and that damn thing still don't work, it searched the whole time! XM radio works, it downloaded all the channels fine. Went to the selling dealer today (not my regular dealer) and it seemed to me that they really don't know much about these NAV systems. Told them about the green tag, purple tag thing, and I don't think they listened very well. Now I have to go back when they aren't so busy so they can remove the fairing. The dealer is an 1 1/2 hours away. I really don't even want them to take my baby apart. We shouldn't have to deal with this BS after spending so much on a bike, nor should the dealer. It is not really their fault either, in my case I wished they would have checked these things in Jan. when I paid for it. Instead of me finding them in March when they delivered it.  Just venting my thoughts!

Rob

Believe me, I wasn't too thrilled about them taking my fairing apart either.  The dealer probably won't believe you about the different color stickers until they call in to technical sevices.  I called them myself before taking the bike to the dealer to see if there was anything I could do to get it working myself.  After they checked out what bike I had by VIN number, they told me to take my bike to the dealer and have them call themselves, since they also figured the dealer wouldn't believe what I was telling them without hearing it from technical services themselves.  If I ever get a chance to take off on the trip I have planned, I hope that it continues to work for me through that trip, as the dealer still hasn't gotten my new module in.

As far as the dealer not knowing much about the NAV system, I wouildn't expect them to.  The only bike it comes on is the SEUC and how many of them do they sell each year?  Take that another step and figure how many people that have the system that actually try to use it.  I have 2 friends with SEUC's and neither of them has ever tried to use the NAV system, so they have no idea if theirs works or not.  That's something on the bike that I assume I know more about than the dealer,
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 21 queries.