Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: GPS  (Read 10881 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: GPS
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 12:52:07 PM »

Gatta luv the Garmin!  :-* har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 03:10:17 PM »

Even being too close to the side of the house can effect picking up the satelites (XM or GPS).  As mentioned, tree canopy can also interfere.

I predict you will end up with a Garmin before all is said and done... :nixweiss: :o

Ditto!
In fact, I took the GPS card out of my radio and sold it on Ebay!  Easiest $500 I've ever made!
 :2vrolijk_21:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 11:30:40 PM »

Ditto!
In fact, I took the GPS card out of my radio and sold it on Ebay!  Easiest $500 I've ever made!
 :2vrolijk_21:

Your lucky,, that will easily pay for a Zumo   :2vrolijk_21:

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 08:11:03 AM »

After about 400 miles the gps just turned on. Now that it's working it still S%$@s. I live in the country and it only finds the big roads. The cheep $100 in my truck knows where I'm at all the time.
Bill

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 08:38:04 AM »

I hate my GPS.  I thought I had this thing figured out.  I was out today and told it to take me home.  It kept telling me "Off Road" and then kept going to some street that I sure never saw.  I tried to direct myself to a gas station and to a Harley dealer.  It kept telling me to turn on this street that I have never heard of.  The same street for miles  and miles.  I thought that I'll get it back on track once I turn onto Rt 30, as there is a dealer on Rt 30 dead ahead about 15 to 16 miles.  It came up telling me to turn on that same street again and told me the dealer was 70 miles away.  I really dislike this GPS, but I'll get the manual out and try this all again.  I know it worked perfectly for me the last time I tried it.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 08:41:10 AM »

My GPS thinks there are no roads in Virginia. I'm always off road. It sometime does a re calculate but only after I'm driving for a mile or so. It's junk. 
Bill

bogman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO-Softail-Springer-FXSTSSE3
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 08:52:49 AM »

As mentioned, tree canopy can also interfere.

yup, satellites transmits a radio signal, a shed/tunnel will affect reception, your gps is just a reciever

Modern GPS will get a fix in a minute or two

here's a lnik for when you come over to Europe and do some runs using your gps

http://www.myrides.co.uk/index.php?page=gps-routes

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 08:56:58 AM »

yup, satellites transmits a radio signal, a shed/tunnel will affect reception, your gps is just a reciever

Modern GPS will get a fix in a minute or two

here's a lnik for when you come over to Europe and do some runs using your gps

http://www.myrides.co.uk/index.php?page=gps-routes

My GPS can't find it's way to a destination directly ahead on the highway I'm riding on.  I don't think it's ready for the European circuit yet.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 11:58:47 AM »

My GPS can't find it's way to a destination directly ahead on the highway I'm riding on.  I don't think it's ready for the European circuit yet.

When  I got my first GPS (A Garmin Quest) I was testing it coming home to the Pottsville area from Bloomsburg.  I route I know well.  I kept ignoring it, since it wanted me to get onto 80 which makes no sense to get from there to my house.  The funny thing is it kept recalculating a new rout to get me back up to 80.  I was all the way down to Minersville, about 5 miles from my house and it told me time remaining was 2.4 hours!  It was still trying to get me to go up to 80, even though it had recalculated numerous times.  I finally stopped the navigation and then told it home again, and it calculated it fine.  Now this was OK because I was just playing with it, not actually navigating with it.  Since then whenenver I start going a different route with any GPS I stop the trip and restart it as a new route, jsut to be sure it doesn't get "fixated" on a particular road.  Don't know if that helps but since you said it had worked before I thought I throw it out there.

One other thing, I've actually navigated to every dealer on Rt. 30 in PA using the built in GPS and it found all of them, other then missing the turn for the one in Greeneville by about 20 yard. (I think that was the one... In an old supermarket type building.... had a Honda dealership as well...). But I could see the sign so it was no problem.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 03:42:16 PM »

When  I got my first GPS (A Garmin Quest) I was testing it coming home to the Pottsville area from Bloomsburg.  I route I know well.  I kept ignoring it, since it wanted me to get onto 80 which makes no sense to get from there to my house.  The funny thing is it kept recalculating a new rout to get me back up to 80.  I was all the way down to Minersville, about 5 miles from my house and it told me time remaining was 2.4 hours!  It was still trying to get me to go up to 80, even though it had recalculated numerous times.  I finally stopped the navigation and then told it home again, and it calculated it fine.  Now this was OK because I was just playing with it, not actually navigating with it.  Since then whenenver I start going a different route with any GPS I stop the trip and restart it as a new route, jsut to be sure it doesn't get "fixated" on a particular road.  Don't know if that helps but since you said it had worked before I thought I throw it out there.

One other thing, I've actually navigated to every dealer on Rt. 30 in PA using the built in GPS and it found all of them, other then missing the turn for the one in Greeneville by about 20 yard. (I think that was the one... In an old supermarket type building.... had a Honda dealership as well...). But I could see the sign so it was no problem.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Close...Greensburg.  I did try turning off the NAV and restarting it.  Maybe I'll try taking the disc out entirely and starting fresh.  Before we start to get to warm weather, I have promised myself to learn how to use that GPS.  Like you said, it was no big deal, since I knew where I was going, and I guess that's the time to learn.  I don't want to be 5 states away and have it take me the wrong way without recognizing it.  That's where a Garmin would be better.  At least you have a map to look at and see if the route makes any sense.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 10:03:39 AM »

I assume your GPS problems are with the factory unit?

Sell it on eBay and buy a real one.

I don't know about the HD unit - check your manual, but most GPS units will allow you to route your trip in one of three ways.

Direct (dtraight line)

Shortest or quickest, which are not the same.

Shortest may be back roads between a and b, but quickest may be the highway, which may be why your GPS kept recalculating  your route back to the highway.

And as you get better GPS units you can set them up to avoid certain items like toll roads, u-turns 1 way streets (which BTW the were first seen in New Jersey when the Morro Castle ran up on the beach).

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 03:31:46 PM »

I assume your GPS problems are with the factory unit?

Sell it on eBay and buy a real one.

I don't know about the HD unit - check your manual, but most GPS units will allow you to route your trip in one of three ways.

Direct (dtraight line)

Shortest or quickest, which are not the same.

Shortest may be back roads between a and b, but quickest may be the highway, which may be why your GPS kept recalculating  your route back to the highway.

And as you get better GPS units you can set them up to avoid certain items like toll roads, u-turns 1 way streets (which BTW the were first seen in New Jersey when the Morro Castle ran up on the beach).

I started reading the manual again and checking out my GPS.  For one thing, I learned that I can't program destinations while the bike is moving.  So, I guess if you are driving down the road and see that you need gas, you have to pull off and stop, and then program in the nearest gas station, and hope that the GPS is being accurate.  Another thing, I noticed that my satellite location is showing up as all zeroes again.  Maybe it's always that way in the garage, but I'll have to get it outside and see if it's being recognized by satellites again.  I'm determined to see if I can make this thing something workable.  If I can't get it working in some sort of satisfactory manner by the time nice weather rolls around, then I'll just have to get a Zumo 550.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »

I started reading the manual again and checking out my GPS.  For one thing, I learned that I can't program destinations while the bike is moving.  So, I guess if you are driving down the road and see that you need gas, you have to pull off and stop, and then program in the nearest gas station, and hope that the GPS is being accurate.  Another thing, I noticed that my satellite location is showing up as all zeroes again.  Maybe it's always that way in the garage, but I'll have to get it outside and see if it's being recognized by satellites again.  I'm determined to see if I can make this thing something workable.  If I can't get it working in some sort of satisfactory manner by the time nice weather rolls around, then I'll just have to get a Zumo 550.
Not True.  You can't program a specific address while moving.  You can however use the POI (Points Of Interest) feature while moving.  This allows you to select Fuel, Food, HD Dealers while moving.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 03:51:53 PM »

Not True.  You can't program a specific address while moving.  You can however use the POI (Points Of Interest) feature while moving.  This allows you to select Fuel, Food, HD Dealers while moving.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Okay, then that explains why I couldn't change to a programmed address, but it doesn't explain why I couldn't get it to guide me to a gas station or Harley dealer.  The next half decent day we have, I'm going to get this thing figured out so it works.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 05:16:53 PM »

Get your Zumo now and save yourself the aggravation
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.