Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Do I need to remove the tank?  (Read 4989 times)

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
Do I need to remove the tank?
« on: February 14, 2009, 07:12:43 PM »

2008 Serk...

I am putting some new electric goodies on the bike (Howard Horns,  MotoPort Light) 

With the horns,  I have to run a new ground wire from the horn to the battery,  should I remove the tank or is there a better way.

With the MotoLite's,  gotta run wire front to rear... Same thing as above...

I have NO idea how to take the tank off or if I should even attempt it... I just read on another forum details for tank removal.... I am not gonna touch that... Any way to fish wires under the tank or ther ideas?

Scott
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 07:16:42 PM by deaf1 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Do I need to remove the tank?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 07:30:15 PM »

2008 Serk...

I am putting some new electric goodies on the bike (Howard Horns,  MotoPort Light) 

With the horns,  I have to run a new ground wire from the horn to the battery,  should I remove the tank or is there a better way.

I have NO idea how to take the tank off or if I should even attempt it... I just read on another forum details for tank removal.... I am not gonna touch that... Any way to fish wires under the tank or ther ideas?

Scott

Personally I like to pop the tank off rather than fishing something underneath it.  Just so can use wire ties to strap it down well and in a way that will lay well in the space.  But it's by no means a necessity.  Especially when you've already decided you're not taking the tank off.

Loosen the two bolts in the front.  Remove the bolt in the rear.  Raise the rear of the tank and put an appropriately sized socket or other item in the gap created to hole the rear of the tank up.

WATCH THE DASH AND FRONT OF THE TANK AS YOU'RE RAISING THE REAR.  DON'T BANG IT IN TO THE FAIRING.

With the rear of the tank up fish a piece of mechanics wire or anything else stiff enough to work it from one end to the other.  Tape the wires you wish to pull to the end of your fish.  Pull them through.  Voila...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 07:32:08 PM by Twolanerider »

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 07:33:14 PM »

Thx!!!

Any idea where the horn wires come up thru?  I need to run a bigger ground for the air horns.. I would like to use the exsisting path,  but I cant seem to find it...

Scott

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 07:33:54 PM »

2008 Serk...

Scott

I wouldn't let someone else's experience scare you off...It really is not that difficult...    :nixweiss: :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 07:35:27 PM »

I wouldn't let someone else's experience scare you off...It really is not that difficult...    :nixweiss: :2vrolijk_21:

And once you have done it - it will seem easy - and then you can move on to something more difficult - and before you know it - you will be an expert telling others how easy things are!
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 07:39:29 PM »

Thx!!!

Any idea where the horn wires come up thru?  I need to run a bigger ground for the air horns.. I would like to use the exsisting path,  but I cant seem to find it...

Scott

Quite frankly why worry about it?  If you remove the horn cover it's a lot easier to see where the horn's harness goes back under to meet the larger harness.  But there's no reason to follow any existing path for a new run.  You can do it in a way that's still well hidden and much easier.  If you need a bigger ground that goes somehere in the area of the existing horns just go straight to the battery negative.  Use black wire so it's not noticable, wire tie it to the frame tube under the tank as it comes forward.  Simple and easy.  Especially when you don't want to pull the tank to see all the existing harness to begin with.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 07:41:01 PM »

And once you have done it - it will seem easy - and then you can move on to something more difficult - and before you know it - you will be an expert telling others how easy things are!

Ever get your pushrod tubes taken to the bench grinder :2vrolijk_21: ?

(some people do things even if they don't fit!)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 07:43:15 PM »

Ever get your pushrod tubes taken to the bench grinder :2vrolijk_21: ?

(some people do things even if they don't fit!)

ummmm......no......but I know someone who did!     ??? ::) ;)
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 07:44:12 PM »

Removing the tank on the '08/'09 models should be a piece of cake, since there isn't a fuel crossover line like the one on the older models.  Suggestion: Run the fuel down as low as possible, or use a syphon to suck out as much as possible.  This makes the tank much lighter and easy to handle.  Then just follow the instructions in the shop manual and be careful not to drop the tank or bang it into something.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 07:55:38 PM »

Seriously Scott (not Scott D but Scott thread starter), pulling the tank isn't a big deal.  Have to wonder from your first description if the friend who described the process to you perhaps has a bike older than yours?

If he described the fuel crossover line in the front of the tank, draining fuel and all those hassles you won't have those.  After you've done it once you'll find that removing the tank on your bike is about a ten minute chore once the seat is off.  You don't have to deal with the crossover line or mess with fuel at all other than a drip or two from the quick disconnect on the line at the bottom of the tank.

If you just don't want to mess with it you obviously don't have to.  But it's not a big deal at all if you decide to tackle it.

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 08:04:58 PM »

What worried me was all the electric connections,  the gauges etc....    Anyone in chicago that wants beer and pizza??

The horn run prob doesnt need to go thru the tank wiring tho...

Here is the thread I was looking at..... http://www.hdtalking.com/touring_models/10507-tips_for_tank_removal_on_an_08_road_glide.html

Also, being on one crutch still,  I dont want to drop the damm tank!!!

Scott

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 08:13:29 PM »

What worried me was all the electric connections,  the gauges etc....    Anyone in chicago that wants beer and pizza??

The horn run prob doesnt need to go thru the tank wiring tho...

Here is the thread I was looking at..... http://www.hdtalking.com/touring_models/10507-tips_for_tank_removal_on_an_08_road_glide.html

Also, being on one crutch still,  I dont want to drop the damm tank!!!

Scott

The nearly empty tank doesn't weigh much.  But you do need enough balance lean over it to lift it straight off.  Add about 6.5 pounds per gallon for however much fuel is in the tank.  On a bad leg could certainly understand the concern.

Your Road King's tank is actually a (tiny) bit more of a hassle to remove than a Road Glide or Electra Glide.  Just because of extra instruments on the dash.  But you'll not find a lot of small individual leads or plugs though.  Big plug that only fits one way and only just a bit else.

Do whatever you're most comfortable with though.  Fishing a couple of small leads beneath the tank really won't hurt a thing.  It's done often.  And you can always lift the tank later when the leg is better to tie them down better if you want to.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 12:34:46 AM »

Prior to 2008 models, i used to dread removing the tanks. The tank mounting on 2008-2009 models have changed, whereby tank removal is painless and quick.  :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 03:02:01 AM »

Prior to 2008 models, i used to dread removing the tanks. The tank mounting on 2008-2009 models have changed, whereby tank removal is painless and quick.  :2vrolijk_21:

I've always cheated on my own.  For years have always put a quick disconnect in the crossover line of any bike I had.  Makes them simple also.

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 10:41:56 AM »

So no one lives near chicago and wants to help out a poor guy on crutches???  :nixweiss:

All the beer you can drink (after the install)  :orange: :orange: :orange:

Thx for all the help on the details,  I may just lift it off a little ,  as my balance isnt the best right now... Still on a crutch after got t-boned!

Scott
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.