Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Ipod run/charge adaptor  (Read 7546 times)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
Ipod run/charge adaptor
« on: February 18, 2009, 09:20:11 PM »

Any one tried one of these Ipod adaptors? I like the idea of charging the Ipod while riding without having 2 sets of wires (charging and aux.) running up the bars. This unit seems a bit overkill, but much of it could be hidden in the fairing. On a second note, I am in the process of installing a Sony Marine radio in the FLHX and it has the Ipod run/charge plug hardwired in the rear. May just use that adaptor run up the bars to run/charge the Ipod which eliminates the need for the front Aux. cable. Also, Gilbos gear will make the Ipod mount for our gen2 ipod with enough space for the large plug for an additional $15

hogasm

Re: Ipod run/charge adaptor
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 07:04:31 AM »

I bought one of those so that the Ipod would be mounted in one of my saddlebags. Direct wired the cig plug into the power panel with its own fuse and it did not work.

I don't know if removving the cig plug, where the power is regulated, allowed too much power to the Ipod or what.

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 07:55:19 AM »

How about wiring up an accessory port (cigarette lighter style), hiding it under the seat and then just plugging in as is???

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 08:00:55 AM »

CVO Stu has one on his bike for his ipod nano, I liked it and the only downside is that you have to install the ipod it is upside down in a riders claw to make the connections, I need to get one because the nano battery does not last that long...Thats all I got to say about that...Other than the Florida Marine is a ca-ca head.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 01:09:11 PM »

I bought one of those so that the Ipod would be mounted in one of my saddlebags. Direct wired the cig plug into the power panel with its own fuse and it did not work.
I don't know if removving the cig plug, where the power is regulated, allowed too much power to the Ipod or what.

Wonder why? I was thinking of hardwiring to the back of the cig lighter in the fairing.

How about wiring up an accessory port (cigarette lighter style), hiding it under the seat and then just plugging in as is???

Good idea but I would probably hard wire it the acc. plug under the seat and make it switchable.

CVO Stu has one on his bike for his ipod nano, I liked it and the only downside is that you have to install the ipod it is upside down in a riders claw to make the connections, I need to get one because the nano battery does not last that long
I talked to Gilbos and they will custome make a mount to fit for an additional $15

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 01:27:27 PM »

CVO Stu has one on his bike for his ipod nano, I liked it and the only downside is that you have to install the ipod it is upside down in a riders claw to make the connections, I need to get one because the nano battery does not last that long

I talked to Gilbos and they will custome make a mount to fit for an additional $15

I would also note that I cannot see the ipod screen with polarized sunglasses on, so being upsidedown is not really a downside to me, but I will check my riders claw for modification capability...

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 02:07:49 PM »

I would also note that I cannot see the ipod screen with polarized sunglasses on, so being upsidedown is not really a downside to me but I will check my riders claw for modification capability...
;D  ;D  ;D

hogasm

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 08:05:43 PM »

That would have worked, but that wasn't in my mindset when it was in my hand.

hogasm

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 08:09:49 PM »

I would also note that I cannot see the ipod screen with polarized sunglasses on,

That is how you tell if a screen is good or not in the marine industry. If you can see the screen on electronics with yoor polarized glasses on then the screen is top notch, if not then it is cheep

hogasm

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 08:13:40 PM »

Wonder why? I was thinking of hardwiring to the back of the cig lighter in the fairing.

Pod is 6v not 12 so I put 12v into the Pod and it would not work :nixweiss: :oops:

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 08:27:41 PM »

Pod is 6v not 12 so I put 12v into the Pod and it would not work :nixweiss: :oops:
Ahh... I suppose one could remove the units cig. adapter and and replace it with the Ipod cig adaptor and it should work. (I think) This obviously leaves out any hardwiring options though. Thanks

hogasm

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 06:39:02 AM »

Ahh... I suppose one could remove the units cig. adapter and and replace it with the Ipod cig adaptor and it should work. (I think) This obviously leaves out any hardwiring options though. Thanks

Leave their adapter, just dont cut it and hard wire it in without some sort of 12v-6v adapter.

My pod is a CLASSIC.....others might be a different voltage, check on it before.....hell you knew that already......I just forgot to check :oops:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 07:55:13 AM »

That is how you tell if a screen is good or not in the marine industry. If you can see the screen on electronics with yoor polarized glasses on then the screen is top notch, if not then it is cheep

The angulation of dangulation is a little off with the riders claw too, lots of glare with regualr glasses on because with no glasses on I cannot see the ipod itself nevermind the screen.

Its ok 16 gig of musice is ok...I can adapt.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 08:35:16 AM »

I have no pics of this and I don't have the bike anymore, but I had some problems a while back and wanted to plug my Sirius in without destroying the factory cord with cig adapter so I wired in a second cig adapter inside the fairing.  Paid like 10 bucks for a plain old ugly one at the local auto parts store. Wired it into the current cig adapter wiring inside the fairing and zip tied it to the fairing support, angled so the plugged in cord would not interfere with the fairing.  Worked like a champ, kept it hidden, and didn't require me to elimiate the cig adapter or make add and votage switching adapters.

Would like to see the look on the next guy who opens the fairing and sees a cigarette lighter socket inside where no-one can get to it!  :P

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 10:27:49 AM »

Wiring a second cig adaptor inside the fairing is certainly a viable option.
Here is a pic of the sony going in the FLHX I just wish the cord wasn't hardwired to the radio so the cable could be run through the bars. Might take it apart to check inside though. I do believe some radios are now blue tooth capable and I know there is an adaptor for the Ipod. That's the future way to go!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.