Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Ipod run/charge adaptor  (Read 7548 times)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
Ipod run/charge adaptor
« on: February 18, 2009, 09:20:11 PM »

Any one tried one of these Ipod adaptors? I like the idea of charging the Ipod while riding without having 2 sets of wires (charging and aux.) running up the bars. This unit seems a bit overkill, but much of it could be hidden in the fairing. On a second note, I am in the process of installing a Sony Marine radio in the FLHX and it has the Ipod run/charge plug hardwired in the rear. May just use that adaptor run up the bars to run/charge the Ipod which eliminates the need for the front Aux. cable. Also, Gilbos gear will make the Ipod mount for our gen2 ipod with enough space for the large plug for an additional $15

hogasm

Re: Ipod run/charge adaptor
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 07:04:31 AM »

I bought one of those so that the Ipod would be mounted in one of my saddlebags. Direct wired the cig plug into the power panel with its own fuse and it did not work.

I don't know if removving the cig plug, where the power is regulated, allowed too much power to the Ipod or what.

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 07:55:19 AM »

How about wiring up an accessory port (cigarette lighter style), hiding it under the seat and then just plugging in as is???

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 08:00:55 AM »

CVO Stu has one on his bike for his ipod nano, I liked it and the only downside is that you have to install the ipod it is upside down in a riders claw to make the connections, I need to get one because the nano battery does not last that long...Thats all I got to say about that...Other than the Florida Marine is a ca-ca head.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 01:09:11 PM »

I bought one of those so that the Ipod would be mounted in one of my saddlebags. Direct wired the cig plug into the power panel with its own fuse and it did not work.
I don't know if removving the cig plug, where the power is regulated, allowed too much power to the Ipod or what.

Wonder why? I was thinking of hardwiring to the back of the cig lighter in the fairing.

How about wiring up an accessory port (cigarette lighter style), hiding it under the seat and then just plugging in as is???

Good idea but I would probably hard wire it the acc. plug under the seat and make it switchable.

CVO Stu has one on his bike for his ipod nano, I liked it and the only downside is that you have to install the ipod it is upside down in a riders claw to make the connections, I need to get one because the nano battery does not last that long
I talked to Gilbos and they will custome make a mount to fit for an additional $15

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 01:27:27 PM »

CVO Stu has one on his bike for his ipod nano, I liked it and the only downside is that you have to install the ipod it is upside down in a riders claw to make the connections, I need to get one because the nano battery does not last that long

I talked to Gilbos and they will custome make a mount to fit for an additional $15

I would also note that I cannot see the ipod screen with polarized sunglasses on, so being upsidedown is not really a downside to me, but I will check my riders claw for modification capability...

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 02:07:49 PM »

I would also note that I cannot see the ipod screen with polarized sunglasses on, so being upsidedown is not really a downside to me but I will check my riders claw for modification capability...
;D  ;D  ;D

hogasm

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 08:05:43 PM »

That would have worked, but that wasn't in my mindset when it was in my hand.

hogasm

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 08:09:49 PM »

I would also note that I cannot see the ipod screen with polarized sunglasses on,

That is how you tell if a screen is good or not in the marine industry. If you can see the screen on electronics with yoor polarized glasses on then the screen is top notch, if not then it is cheep

hogasm

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 08:13:40 PM »

Wonder why? I was thinking of hardwiring to the back of the cig lighter in the fairing.

Pod is 6v not 12 so I put 12v into the Pod and it would not work :nixweiss: :oops:

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 08:27:41 PM »

Pod is 6v not 12 so I put 12v into the Pod and it would not work :nixweiss: :oops:
Ahh... I suppose one could remove the units cig. adapter and and replace it with the Ipod cig adaptor and it should work. (I think) This obviously leaves out any hardwiring options though. Thanks

hogasm

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 06:39:02 AM »

Ahh... I suppose one could remove the units cig. adapter and and replace it with the Ipod cig adaptor and it should work. (I think) This obviously leaves out any hardwiring options though. Thanks

Leave their adapter, just dont cut it and hard wire it in without some sort of 12v-6v adapter.

My pod is a CLASSIC.....others might be a different voltage, check on it before.....hell you knew that already......I just forgot to check :oops:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 07:55:13 AM »

That is how you tell if a screen is good or not in the marine industry. If you can see the screen on electronics with yoor polarized glasses on then the screen is top notch, if not then it is cheep

The angulation of dangulation is a little off with the riders claw too, lots of glare with regualr glasses on because with no glasses on I cannot see the ipod itself nevermind the screen.

Its ok 16 gig of musice is ok...I can adapt.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 08:35:16 AM »

I have no pics of this and I don't have the bike anymore, but I had some problems a while back and wanted to plug my Sirius in without destroying the factory cord with cig adapter so I wired in a second cig adapter inside the fairing.  Paid like 10 bucks for a plain old ugly one at the local auto parts store. Wired it into the current cig adapter wiring inside the fairing and zip tied it to the fairing support, angled so the plugged in cord would not interfere with the fairing.  Worked like a champ, kept it hidden, and didn't require me to elimiate the cig adapter or make add and votage switching adapters.

Would like to see the look on the next guy who opens the fairing and sees a cigarette lighter socket inside where no-one can get to it!  :P

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 10:27:49 AM »

Wiring a second cig adaptor inside the fairing is certainly a viable option.
Here is a pic of the sony going in the FLHX I just wish the cord wasn't hardwired to the radio so the cable could be run through the bars. Might take it apart to check inside though. I do believe some radios are now blue tooth capable and I know there is an adaptor for the Ipod. That's the future way to go!

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 12:57:35 PM »

I use this for my ipod, connected directly to the back of the radio (with the "rear aux input" upgrade)
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 01:38:39 PM »

I use this for my ipod, connected directly to the back of the radio (with the "rear aux input" upgrade)
That's what I was just thinking of doing with the unit I posted since it has one "extra" plug (yellow). Which Ipod do you have? It looks as though you hardwired  the + - and the guys here have me worried about the 6V vs 12V charge thing.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 02:37:50 PM »

The yellow is video. Hard wired to my GPS supply, which is switched at the console

iPod 30GB video
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 02:45:40 PM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Riders Claw

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Rider's Claw, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 10:02:16 AM »

I would also note that I cannot see the ipod screen with polarized sunglasses on, so being upsidedown is not really a downside to me, but I will check my riders claw for modification capability...

Due to "somewhat" popular demand... we have redesigned our latest Gen IV Rider's Claw so that both ports on this Nano are accessable now. 
We expect to have the first run complete next week, and back from being chromed the week (or 2) after.  This new design is only being done on new manufacturing runs and for now... that's the Gen IV Nano.
Hit me up if you have any questions.   

Ditch

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA # 56.345 1/2

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Orange & Black
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 11:31:11 AM »

Due to "somewhat" popular demand... we have redesigned our latest Gen IV Rider's Claw so that both ports on this Nano are accessable now. 
We expect to have the first run complete next week, and back from being chromed the week (or 2) after.  This new design is only being done on new manufacturing runs and for now... that's the Gen IV Nano.

Ken can we buy just the part that the Nano sits in, I just purchased the Riders Claw this week. If so let me know how much and when available! Thanks, Bill
"Lead don't follow, just don't follow me!!!"

Riders Claw

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Rider's Claw, Inc.
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 12:25:13 PM »

Ken can we buy just the part that the Nano sits in, I just purchased the Riders Claw this week. If so let me know how much and when available! Thanks, Bill

Bill - I will let you know when these are ready, and when they are I will be happy to ship you the dual open port version and you can just return the older version back to me... no charge.
I don't want your money twice... but I will be interested in your opinion of our new design. I think you'll like it! 

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 12:32:51 PM »

Well send me one when you get it! dag nabbit I just put it on!  :'( ::) :P

Riders Claw

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Rider's Claw, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 01:11:03 PM »

Well send me one when you get it! dag nabbit I just put it on!  :'( ::) :P

No problem... dag nabbit!  :)
I'll post an announcement here when these new units are complete, so anyone that is interested in swapping out their original Gen IV for the dual port version can give me a shout. 
Fair enough?

In the meantime, if anyone is close to Old Man Winter... please tell him to knock this snow s*** off here in the Midwest!  My PMS (Parker Motorcycle Syndrome) is really starting to act up.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 02:29:38 PM »

Well I want one of those. So don't forget about me.

Riders Claw

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Rider's Claw, Inc.
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 03:04:31 PM »

Well I want one of those. So don't forget about me.

Stu - I sent you a personal email bro!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 05:04:59 PM »

I got your message.  Thanks and you guys are the best! Looking forward to the "flip".

Ditch

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA # 56.345 1/2

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Orange & Black
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2009, 07:57:15 PM »

Bill - I will let you know when these are ready, and when they are I will be happy to ship you the dual open port version and you can just return the older version back to me... no charge.
I don't want your money twice... but I will be interested in your opinion of our new design. I think you'll like it! 

Thanks Ken... You da MAN!!!!!! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: I can't wait to get my claw!
"Lead don't follow, just don't follow me!!!"

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 06:46:00 AM »

I wanted to keep my cig lighter free, in case i wanted charge my cell phone or whatever. So I added a new cig lighter under the fairing and also zip tied it clear and out of the way. Now I have just the cord with the larger connector strapped to the handle bar on the left side. So far it works really well and i like it a lot. I have a Riders Claw that holds it place very well. I found the Ipod charger kit at Best Buy. Came with the adaptor and a 3 ft long patch cord.  60.00 dollars if I remember, but worth every cent.

SE Junkie

• CVO Addict
  • 2005 SE2 (SEEG)

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
    • CVO2: 2001 FLTRSEI2
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • My CVO Bikes
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 02:14:34 AM »

I have 2 questions:

How can I tell which version of the claw, I have for my Nano.  Purchased 10/12/08?  Do I need to upgrade?  This is for my 05 SEEG.

I tried to plug my IPOD into my AUX outlet on my 01 SERG today.  Then I read the owners manual.  It's not a AUX input, it's for a CD input?  Invented in 01!  So I went to Radio Shack and bought one of those pseudo cassette tapes with a stereo input jack.  That solution worked for today, but it looks unprofessional and ugly.  Is there anything that I could do, short of swapping radios (as I'd like to keep the bike as stock as possible) to remedy my situation?  Can I turn the PJ into an AUX input jack?  Can I install a stereo input jack in an inconspicuous place and run wires into the radio and make it function? Can I do anything?  Am I just stuck with the ye ole cassette trick.  I really don't like the quality of the sound using one of those devises that uses a dead FM station and accomplishes what I want to do wirelessly.

Any advise good, bad, sarcastic or indifferent is appreciated!

Thanks,
Jack     :o :confused5:
It's all about the ride & the people you ride with.

2005 FLHTCSE2, Luxury & Teal Green, AKA: SEEG

2001 FLTRSEI2- WAS 100% stock, Black, Platinum silver & Charcoal, AKA: SERG.

2009 FLTRSE3, Stardust Silver & Titanium Dust, AKA: SERG.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2009, 06:25:01 AM »

I plug my ipod directly into that AUX jack, switch to AUX on the radio and it works fine
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

SE Junkie

• CVO Addict
  • 2005 SE2 (SEEG)

• My CVO Bikes
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2009, 06:34:36 AM »

The Radio has a Cassette player and a 12 disk CD changer in the tour pack (2001).  It does not appear to give me the option to go to AUX.  When I change modes my choices are, FM, AM, WB, CD.  If you insert a cassette the display reads SD1 (Side 1).  Thanks! :'(

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2009, 06:39:19 AM »

Oh, cassette, forgot what those were. and forget about 8 track
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Riders Claw

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Rider's Claw, Inc.
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 05:39:50 PM »

The Radio has a Cassette player and a 12 disk CD changer in the tour pack (2001).  It does not appear to give me the option to go to AUX.  When I change modes my choices are, FM, AM, WB, CD.  If you insert a cassette the display reads SD1 (Side 1).  Thanks! :'(

Can you post me a picture of your 2001 stereo?  Sometimes you need to plug your iPod into the AUX port and then the choice for AUX will show up.  Try that.

-Ken

SE Junkie

• CVO Addict
  • 2005 SE2 (SEEG)

• My CVO Bikes
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2009, 11:02:01 PM »

Ken,
I tried every option there is.  I took photos of my radio in every mode for you to look at.  The owners manual for the "aux" plug states that it is for a "CD" input.  I have seen HD CD kits sold as accessories, that use this input.  I think that it needs ans amplified input.  But since I have a CD installed from the factory, I think that this input is useless.  But I am open to any ideas!  Thanks muck...Jack

Photos can be found here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/JackHugnou/March212009#

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2009, 09:07:48 PM »

http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1667    i saw this and was told this will get that adaptor kit to work when the voltage is not correct.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 21 queries.