Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Retrofit an 09 HK stereo in an 05 EG  (Read 4978 times)

itfakr

Retrofit an 09 HK stereo in an 05 EG
« on: August 28, 2009, 02:15:34 PM »

Hey guys,

I read a post by Twolanerider showing how he installed an 06 stereo in his 05 EG.  I've recently purchases a stock deck and speakers from an 09 street glide to put in my 05 electra glide.  Question is, does Twolanerider's tutorial also apply to the 09 stereo I got?
I already have a stereo harness on my electra glide standard, but do I need to buy a 2009 wiring harness to match the 09 stereo?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have read around the net for a couple of days and keep getting conflicting information, but this forum seems to have the most relevant and detailed information I could find.    The part number of the stereo is 76160-06.

Thanks Guys!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Retrofit an 09 HK stereo in an 05 EG
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 02:41:27 PM »

A couple of guys have done this after I did.  And have learned more from where I began.  Will summarize as best as I'm able.  If anything is mistaken one of the fellow travellers will hopefully catch it and fill in the blanks.

Radio you got should be ok.  If you bought it used and it's already been flashed to a bike you should be able to use it.  It will bolt in exactly where the old one comes out.   

You'll need the radio and whatever accessory harness matches whichever radio accessories you also intend to put with it.

If your bike is an 05 EG disregard the following.  If it's an 05 CVO EG follow on:

The SEEGs got what was considered an upgraded radio as their standard.  It had a larger (but pretty crappy) amp internal.  It also required an extra audio overlay harness that the stock bikes didn't have or need.

So rather than one big plug on the back of the radio the SEEGs have two.  That second harness you won't use.  That second harness is the amplified harness and has its own set of speaker outputs to the front speakers.  You WON'T use them.  Say again, you will not use the wires to go the speakers on a SEEG.

The "normal" stock speaker wires are also inside the fairing.  Tucked up close around the speakers on each side.  You WILL use those wires instead.

The amplifier overlay harness can be either layed over out of the way somewhere or completely removed from the bike.  It terminates at the fuse panel though.  So removing it means lifting the tank to get it all unhooked and released.

Good luck.

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 03:29:52 PM »

I think it's a fairly easy install, but you need to know up front what other add ons you may do.  Ex: rear speakers, intercom, XM, CB or blue tooth module (if you can find one).  I added everything but the XM, use Zumo for that.  I pulled that extra harness out of my bike when the old radio came out.  Needed The tank off anyway to run the mass of wiring back to everything added.  Ended up using the extra radio fuse in that fuse block for a feed on the oil temp gage circuit, another story.... :nixweiss:

If you are just going with the 2 front speakers, it should be plug and play, just follow what Twolanerider said. 

Be very careful to check the two fairing braces where the radio attaches, these are known to crack and allow a lot of fairing vibration.  It appears the radio case is used as a tie between the two braces and if it gets enough flexing, the amp for the speakers will quit (radio appears dead, cost to fix $200) due to the heat sink mounted to the case and that is where the bolts attach holding it in place. I added a brace below the radio using the 2 holes already in the braces.  It took out almost all  of the fairing vibration it had and improved the driveability of the bike.  HD supposedly redesigned the braces in 08.5 to help, I have not had a chance to compare the older braces to the newer version.

itfakr

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 10:45:50 AM »

Hey guys, thanks for the info.  The 09 stereo was pulled out of a bike and was tested prior to being removed so it's safe to say it's been activated on the old bike.
My bike is a standard EG and has never had a stereo in it before, but it does have a stereo and 2 speaker connections on the existing wiring harness.  That is all I'm going to do with it anyway.  I'm not going to install xm, intercom, etc.  So my existing harness should be good on it's own?
Oh, my bike is also carburated...does this change anything with my install?

Thanks guys!

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 11:24:32 AM »

Well, my question is what about handle bar controls?  I'm thinking you could operate everything but volume on the radio itself, but?????

Twolanerider, any insight?

Brad

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 01:24:42 PM »

Well, my question is what about handle bar controls?  I'm thinking you could operate everything but volume on the radio itself, but?????

Twolanerider, any insight?

Brad

I was making the assumption of a preexisting radio.  Without the handlebar controls you could switch output modes.  But (need to have one in front of me to know for sure) I'm not sure you could change radio stations, control volume, or a few other internal controls like, for example, AVC.  Certainly couldn't do much easily going down the road.  Were I going to the expense and effort of adding the radio it'd be time to go ahead and make it conveniently functional as well. 

itfakr

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 09:06:32 PM »

My 05 does have handlebar controls.  It appears to be comletely wired for a stereo. 
I'm assuming the handlebar controls will work, unless the wiring on the harness is different?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 09:57:16 PM »

My 05 does have handlebar controls.  It appears to be comletely wired for a stereo. 
I'm assuming the handlebar controls will work, unless the wiring on the harness is different?

No, if the switches are there you should be good to go.  Excellent.

So got it in yet :huepfenlol2: ?

itfakr

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 10:04:26 PM »

I have a small wait for the stereo to get here. it's on it's way.  I'll take some pics as I go and let you know.  I hope I don't run into any "issues"...

Thanks again!

itfakr

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 09:50:30 AM »

One last question Twolanerider, my bike currently has a factory stereo harness in it, so if I'm throwingin a 2009 stereo, am I going to have to replace my current stereo harness with a newer one from 2009 to get the stereo and hand controls to work?  what about AVC?
If you're unsure, I guess I'll find out sooner or later during the install.

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 09:56:18 AM »

Harness should work, lust install it.  With the handle bar controls, you should have full functionality.  Volume on the left, channel selection among other on the right side.

Brad

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 12:41:09 PM »

One last question Twolanerider, my bike currently has a factory stereo harness in it, so if I'm throwingin a 2009 stereo, am I going to have to replace my current stereo harness with a newer one from 2009 to get the stereo and hand controls to work?  what about AVC?
If you're unsure, I guess I'll find out sooner or later during the install.

It'll be a direct plug in.  Everything will work except AVC.  You lose that in the direct swap.  You'll have the controls for AVC output but the input signal is different.  So it doesn't work.

It's not that big a deal to correct for the input change either.  Having said that I can't remember right now which runs are changed.  If I can find notes on that later will post it here.  Even without changing a wire or two it'll still plug in and work though.

itfakr

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 02:20:47 PM »

Thanks Twolanerider,

The AVC fix would be appreciated.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 11:07:26 PM »

Thanks Twolanerider,

The AVC fix would be appreciated.

Will see if I can find the notes on it.  It was easy to decipher though.  Visit the service department at your dealership and ask to see the electrical and diagnostics manuals for a pre-HK radio bike and a post-HK radio bike.  Study the pinouts for each.  The AVC signal is in a different place.  I just don't remember the pinouts off hand.

itfakr

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 07:12:32 AM »

Hi Guys,

I found out what needs to be done to the wiring harness to get the AVC working.  It's pin 9, white and green, that needs to be cut, folded back, and taped.  Just that one wire cut will get the AVC working again.

I will test this out once the stereo comes in, but this info was from a very competent guy who has experience with electra glide stereo installs.

Regards,

itfakr

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 07:34:10 AM »

Well, the stereo install went well.  Everything was plug n play, and with a quick snip of wire #9 (white with green stripe), the AVC works as well.

Thanks

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 05:07:59 AM »

Glad the install went well and the radio works.  How the Automatic Volume Control works without any input after cutting the speed signal wire (pin #9) is a mystery.  In the pre-'06 bikes, that white/green wire was a signal from the Vehicle Speed Sensor.  In the '06 and newer models, that pin is used for the serial data bus which is also used by the speed and tach.  With no pin #9 connection to the radio, it's unclear how the radio would know what the bike's speed is in order to adjust the volume.

Perhaps your buddy who knows the HK headunit can solve the mystery.  I'm not much of a "why" person - if something works well, I seldom need to know why it does.  In this case, I'm about to install an HK headunit in my '04 EG (99% because I want the cleanest CB installation) and anticipated removing the white/green speed signal wire from the AMP connector that plugs into the back of the HK radio, and replacing it by tapping the serial bus wire to preserve the AVC function.

Let me know what your bud has to say.  Thanks.

Carl

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 09:50:35 AM »

Just an update on the AVC issue.  According to Tony, the owner of Iron Cross Audio, pin #9 does indeed carry the bike's speed to the HK headunit which allows the headunit to adjust volume.  Without that connection, the HK doesn't know bike speed and the AVC won't function.  So I will be modifying the wiring in my base audio connector (the 23-wire connector that plugs into the back of the headunit) to connect pin #9 to the serial bus wire at the speedo.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.