Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Retrofit an 09 HK stereo in an 05 EG  (Read 4976 times)

itfakr

Re: Retrofit an 09 HK stereo in an 05 EG
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 07:34:10 AM »

Well, the stereo install went well.  Everything was plug n play, and with a quick snip of wire #9 (white with green stripe), the AVC works as well.

Thanks

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 05:07:59 AM »

Glad the install went well and the radio works.  How the Automatic Volume Control works without any input after cutting the speed signal wire (pin #9) is a mystery.  In the pre-'06 bikes, that white/green wire was a signal from the Vehicle Speed Sensor.  In the '06 and newer models, that pin is used for the serial data bus which is also used by the speed and tach.  With no pin #9 connection to the radio, it's unclear how the radio would know what the bike's speed is in order to adjust the volume.

Perhaps your buddy who knows the HK headunit can solve the mystery.  I'm not much of a "why" person - if something works well, I seldom need to know why it does.  In this case, I'm about to install an HK headunit in my '04 EG (99% because I want the cleanest CB installation) and anticipated removing the white/green speed signal wire from the AMP connector that plugs into the back of the HK radio, and replacing it by tapping the serial bus wire to preserve the AVC function.

Let me know what your bud has to say.  Thanks.

Carl

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 09:50:35 AM »

Just an update on the AVC issue.  According to Tony, the owner of Iron Cross Audio, pin #9 does indeed carry the bike's speed to the HK headunit which allows the headunit to adjust volume.  Without that connection, the HK doesn't know bike speed and the AVC won't function.  So I will be modifying the wiring in my base audio connector (the 23-wire connector that plugs into the back of the headunit) to connect pin #9 to the serial bus wire at the speedo.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.