Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To all you Ultra guys intercom/cb question  (Read 4171 times)

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
To all you Ultra guys intercom/cb question
« on: April 28, 2010, 03:00:31 PM »

I have a road glide, so no cb or intercom.  If I add the cb do I automatically get the intercom functions or must i Purchase the intercom module as well? 

Also, I would like to remove my tour pak from time to time and still use the intercom. Can the passenger controls be mounted other than on the tour pak? 

Thanks

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
Re: To all you Ultra guys intercom/cb question
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 03:55:15 PM »

The intercom is part of the cb package.  Without the rear speaker boxes, however, you won't have volume controls for the passenger intercom or cb, as well as no PTT there.  I am sure you could fab something for the headset connector to keep it there permanently.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 04:52:02 PM »

You may want to consider the J&M handlebar mounted unit.  It has a reaer intercom built in and a push to talk button that can be mounted anywhere.  The wife uses one on her Dyna and loves it.  Great company who stands behind their products as well.

http://www.jmcorp.com/Static/jmcb-2003.htm

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 05:35:25 PM »

Also, review a post from Harleypingman Harley on his "Boom" install or send him a note.  (CB and Intercom from HD)..

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 07:16:39 PM »

You don't need a tour pak with speaker pods to have CB/Intercom using the Harman Kardon head unit.  Check-out the Boom Audio Music Intercom Kit, p/n 77108-09.  I installed it on my bike and highly recommend it for a clean CB installation using the Harman Kardon head unit, OEM on '06 and newer fairing model touring bikes:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=42830.0

My installation was far more involved because it's on an '04 bike.  On an '07 or newer it's essentially plug n play; on an '06, the supplied left handlebar switch harness connector (Molex) needs to be swapped with the one already on the bike (Deutsch).

The intercom function requires a download from HD's Digital Technician; there is no separate intercom module.

HD has the installation instructions on their website; just use the p/n to locate the kit and click on the pdf icon.

Carl
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 04:32:07 PM by Harleypingman »

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 08:48:40 PM »

Check-out the Boom Audio Music Intercom Kit, p/n 77108-09.  I installed it on my bike and highly recommend it for a clean CB installation using the Harman Kardon head unit, OEM on '06 and newer fairing model touring bikes:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=42830.0

My installation was far more involved because it's on an '04 bike.  On an '07 or newer it's essentially plug n play; on an '06, the supplied left handlebar switch harness connector (Molex) needs to be swapped with the one already on the bike (Deutsch).

The intercom function requires a download from HD's Digital Technician; there is no separate intercom module.

Does this give you cb as well?

HD has the installation instructions on their website; just use the p/n to locate the kit and click on the pdf icon.

Carl

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 09:05:07 PM »

There are two BAMI kits.  The one for CB is the one I used; p/n 77108-09.  You need to buy the CB module, and you will also need a CB antenna.  HD offers a couple of choices, but I used the J&M in-fairing powered CB antenna.

One virtue of the BAMI kit is that it mounts the passenger headset connector and PTT/vol. switch separate from a tour pak so the intercom/CB used by the passenger works with and without the tour pak on the bike.  The kit doesn't include a mode/sel switch for the passenger.  With that exception, the kit replicates the functionality of the CB/intercom found on the Ultra.

Carl

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 11:25:11 AM »

Many inquire about adding CB/Intercom and seem to balk at the cost:  

BAMI kit--$380,
CB module--$400,
non-Ultra overlay harness--$120,
CB antenna--$80-$100, and
Headset(s)--$125 or so ea.

These are list prices and discounts are available.  Even with discounts, the cost will be roughly $900-$1000 plus labor if you pay for the installation (though it's a pretty simple DIY project.)

Cardo systems with their intercom/bike-to-bike wireless systems are, consequently, very popular and should be given strong consideration unless you really want the CB function.  J&M's CB/Intercom is excellent and portable from bike to bike.  I didn't want the handlebar clutter, however.  Good luck with your research.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:37:54 AM by Harleypingman »

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 01:06:37 PM »

Many inquire about adding CB/Intercom and seem to balk at the cost:  

BAMI kit--$380,
CB module--$400,
non-Ultra overlay harness--$120,
CB antenna--$80-$100, and
Headset(s)--$125 or so ea.

These are list prices and discounts are available.  Even with discounts, the cost will be roughly $900-$1000 plus labor if you pay for the installation (though it's a pretty simple DIY project.)

Cardo systems with their intercom/bike-to-bike wireless systems are, consequently, very popular and should be given strong consideration unless you really want the CB function.  J&M's CB/Intercom is excellent and portable from bike to bike.  I didn't want the handlebar clutter, however.  Good luck with your research.

Thanks very much. I read your other thread regarding the install and see that I have several options.  What would you think about using the standard passenger controls mounted on the tour pak with a quick disconnect for removal of the tour pak?  Passenger would then have access to full controls.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 04:29:37 PM »

Using HD's pods with the passenger controls creates a lot more wiring to deal with when removing the tour pak.  If you want to go that way, here's a thread with detail information on making it easier to disconnect and reconnect the wiring:

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/477270-how-to-make-your-tourpak-on-your-ultraclassic-quick-detachable.html

Personally, adding the mode/sel switch for the passenger by adding HD's speaker pods is more work (to remove and reinstall the tour pak by unplugging and replugging the rear speaker and passenger control wiring) for very little gain (she gets to change the CD track, radio, etc.), and the HD pods are pricey when compared to other alternatives like Hogtunes (which use 5.25" speakers) or the pods from Dragonfly or Eglidegoodies which use 6.5" speakers in their pods.

Also, with the BAMI kit, you can take a passenger using a passenger backrest and retain the passenger's control of the CB/Intercom and volume.  You won't lose any functionality removing the tour pak.

As you mentioned, you have several alternatives available.  Good luck with your choice.

Carl

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 01:46:01 AM »

Carl,
Thanks for the input. I just ordered the set up you recommended.
Greg

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 05:34:36 PM »

Greg, I'm sure you will enjoy the BAMI kit and the flexibility it affords.  I seldom ride with the tour pak on the bike preferring a solo seat, but retaining the CB/Intercom.  When I have a passenger it's easy to add a backrest or the tour pak.  The only wiring involved when installing Ultra tour pak (w/o speaker pods) is to connect a single plug for the tour pak's lights. 

Good luck with your project. 

Carl

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.