Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: It's all about Garmin Zumo (660)  (Read 4692 times)

jesse111

• Full CVO Member
    • Jesse Phoenix
It's all about Garmin Zumo (660)
« on: May 03, 2010, 12:18:52 PM »

When I left on this trip to Docs tuning and Traxxion Dynamics, frustration with wrong turns in unfamiliar territory was not going to be part of my program. The only way to achieve that particular goal was GPS. My sense of direction stinks.

Two days before I left my 660 arrived in the mail. Took a day to install it. I mounted on the handle bar and ran the wires through the break line hole in the fairing then tie wrapped to the main harness directly to the battery. This required removal of the fairing front as well as the gas tank. Then you have to dig through the ecm under the seat to get to the battery. Like I said, it took me a day. I go slow since I'm not a mechanic but the install went very well.

Accuracy is dead on. The screen information is clear, basic and easily discernible. Lane assist works beautifully. Speed assist is surprisingly accurate. Speed assist, as I call it, tells you what the speed limit is where you are in case you missed the speed limit sign. Bear in mind it does not take in to account work zones. They are just too transient.

Lots of very useful info on the main screen. Additional screens are easy to get to with minimal layers to tap through.

It's interface is intuitive but like any program takes some practice and repetition. Fuel guage works excellent once you get it set, not really necessary on the ultras but it works accurately nonetheless and is just fun to play with.

I thought about the 665 but I don't use Sirius XM. If I did, I would have purchased it without a second thought. If you're a Sirius subscriber I'd seriously consider it because of the units mobility. As for me however, when I find music I like, I buy it. I have a huge MP3 library and talk radio for the most part is (in my opinion) mostly opinion that doesn't interest me. I don't listen to sports or Howard Stern so, the 660 is perfect for my application.

The unit is built with quality. Just holding it in your hand and you will feel it. Heavy, solid and well built.

Big, easy to see screen and sleek look for such an obtrusive accessory. I like it. Excellent and practical piece of gear. Highly recommended accessory.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 05:10:12 PM by jesse111 »

CVO Willie

Re: It's all about Garmin Zumo (660)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 06:13:47 PM »

Did you buy through dealer and how much?  Did you consider mounting on upper dash like 2010?
Thanks for input seriously considering since I do Iron butt rides. 8)

jesse111

• Full CVO Member
    • Jesse Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 09:06:36 PM »

The dealer model simply does not make sense to me. Maybe someone knows something I don't but the dealer model comes with a car mount but does not come with a motorcycle mount. That to me is absolutely ridiculous. You have to pay $70 more for a motorcycle mount from Harley but anywhere else you buy it from comes with 2 different mounting styles in the box. I chose to use the U bolt style.

The Harley model comes pre loaded with all the Harley dealers installed in the favorites. Big deal. So the Harley model will cost on average perhaps $110 to 150 or so more by the time you buy the mount that comes for free everywhere else. But you get all the Harley dealer locations built in instead. I still can't get over it. It's laughable.

Got mine through Amazon.com and paid $640. Harley wants somewhere north of $700 but offered me a 10% discount which brought down to something like $680 but then I would have had to buy the $70 mount totaling $750. $110 more from Harley for the same thing I got from Amazon. Go fly a kite Harley.

I guess it's pretty obvious where I stand on the Harley model.  :soapbox:

I would love to know of a way to mount it on the leather dash dead center but I have not seen anything. It won't mount on the fairing face because of the leather dash so a handle bar U bolt or clutch lever mount are the only choices as far as I know and both come in the box from anywhere but Harley. But there are extensions available to raise it up for a better view if desired.

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 10:05:20 PM »

Just wondering if you got the hogpod bar to replace your padded dash pad. Would it be possible to mount it on top of the hogpod dead center somehow? ???

jesse111

• Full CVO Member
    • Jesse Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 10:16:37 PM »

I don't have the hogpod bar. But a quality, solid center mounting system might be interesting.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 11:01:05 PM »

Jenni at tri county would be $599.96 + shipping....  :nixweiss:

That would be with 20% discount
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 11:29:11 PM »

Not sure if the deal is available where you are, Garmin has a $100.00 mail in rebate starting 01/05/10 check with your local dealer. :2vrolijk_21:
Hawg

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 12:21:22 AM »

Not sure if the deal is available where you are, Garmin has a $100.00 mail in rebate starting 01/05/10 check with your local dealer. :2vrolijk_21:

I wonder if the H-D version will apply or is it just the Garmin?
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 06:35:58 AM »

:bananarock: :bananarock:

The parts to mount the 660/665 in the leather dashpad for the CVO's are now available.  The parts are not restricted (mostly because only CVO's have the leather dashpad).  Have to repalce the leather  dashpad with a new one with the hole cut out.  Parts come froom the new black crimson CVO.

Looks good.  About $150 for parts.  HAve to remove the fairing to install.

:coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

HD Rider

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 07:03:59 AM »

Thanks for the information.  My new 2010 CVO is coming with the 660 factory installed, so I am glad to read of your experience with this.  Enjoy the ride!
HD Rider

jesse111

• Full CVO Member
    • Jesse Phoenix
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 08:30:03 AM »

:bananarock: :bananarock:

The parts to mount the 660/665 in the leather dashpad for the CVO's are now available.  The parts are not restricted (mostly because only CVO's have the leather dashpad).  Have to repalce the leather  dashpad with a new one with the hole cut out.  Parts come froom the new black crimson CVO.

Looks good.  About $150 for parts.  HAve to remove the fairing to install.

:coolblue: :coolblue:

Got a part number?

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 09:05:28 AM »

:oops: :oops:

Here they are!!!!

The mid year parts manual shows the assembly for the GPS.

I've been working with my parts manager and all the parts should be available mid April.

Here's the breakdown,

1106            Screw
1107            Screw
7686            Locknuts (2)
92346-10        Mount  (accepts garmin cradle)
92466-10        Retainer  (goes inside fairing for support)
57885-10        Pad  (dashpad specific to cradle mount, already has holes)

About $150 total.  None of the parts are VIN/CVO protected.

Here's the thread

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=47885.0;all

:coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

jesse111

• Full CVO Member
    • Jesse Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 09:13:13 AM »

I will be purchasing and installing that unit. It's just what the doctor ordered. Really cleans up the mounting system. Custom look. Excellent.

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 09:31:12 AM »

Jenni at tri county would be $599.96 + shipping....  :nixweiss:

That would be with 20% discount

That's what I paid for my 660.  I already had the RAM mounts for it, so I didn't need more of those.

Someone probably started a "It's All About Jenni!" thread!  :bananarock:
Big Lew
IBA #595

dep47

• Full CVO Member
  • What a color
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 10:26:56 AM »

Any body know if this will adapt to the Zumo 550, looks like the cradle may fit?  dose the wiring harness include a connection direct to the radio, or do you still have to run the separate connection to the audio jack on the radio?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 21 queries.