Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Will stock HD stereo support 4 or more speaker  (Read 3403 times)

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
Will stock HD stereo support 4 or more speaker
« on: February 09, 2011, 01:25:40 AM »

I've decided to do some stereo upgrades. Just wondering if the stock stereo in my 09 SERG will support added speakers. I'm thinking about adding two in the bags and maybe two more to the inner fairing.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 02:06:43 PM by bribe36 »

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Will stock HD stereo support 4 or 6 speakers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 02:55:39 AM »

It will with the addition of an amp and some programing, but take it from a guy who's replaced his stock HD stereo too many times already... just get a better one and install it now while you do the upgrade, you'll most likely have to replace the stock one eventually anyway!

The extra couple of hundred bucks you spend now will save your hair follicles down the road.

Run a search on HD stereo issues here... you'll see what I mean.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 02:57:54 AM by murphy »

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 06:03:12 AM »

I've decided to do some stereo upgrades. Just wondering if the stock stereo in my 09 SERG will support added speakers. I'm thinking about adding two in the bags and maybe two more to the inner fairing.

The rear outputs for the radio are always active. Flashing the radio for 4 channel just activates the fader.

Running 4 off the front channel without an amp is probably not the best idea, but it can be done. Th HK output is 2 ohm stable, so if you hook up 4 front speakers (2 per channel) try to use 4 ohm speakers and wire them in parallel to get the impedance back to 2 ohms.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 09:50:23 AM »

The HK radio supports front and rear speaker signals without an amp; that's how the non-CVO Ultras are wired.  Go to reply #5 in this thread and you'll see the wiring diagram:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=53364.0

As ICA said, you can run four speakers from a single source by splitting the output signal to drive two pairs of speakers instead of a single pair; however, that requires paying attention to the impedance of the speakers used and how the speakers are wired:  series, parallel, or a combination which is explained in this link:

http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

You can also split a single output signal and send it to the amp and let the amp split the one signal into two which is what Hogtunes does when they take a signal for a pair of speakers and provide a signal for two pairs of speakers:

http://www.hogtunes.com/techzone_files/Ultrasoundoverview.pdf

Carl

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 03:57:01 PM »

The rear outputs for the radio are always active. Flashing the radio for 4 channel just activates the fader.

Running 4 off the front channel without an amp is probably not the best idea, but it can be done. Th HK output is 2 ohm stable, so if you hook up 4 front speakers (2 per channel) try to use 4 ohm speakers and wire them in parallel to get the impedance back to 2 ohms.

How do I "Flash the Radio"?

Also, if I replace the stock stereo will the factory volume and channel controls still work?

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 04:35:40 PM »

If you choose to go without the amp there wont be much power to the rear, the flash will come from your dealer or from someone like Iron Cross Audio who can do the download for you.

Going the aftermarket route you'll need to get an adapter so you can still use your handlebar controls... this is one I'm familiar with:

http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.php?cPath=51&products_id=36

hd-dude is a member here, he can help you with that part, he's a distributor for their products.

Like I said before, if I was where you are now I wouldn't hesitate... it would be aftermarket for me all the way.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:37:27 PM by murphy »

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 02:32:05 PM »

So lets say I run 4 speakers off the front channel with an amp - I'll need a two channel amp, correct? And that should work?

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 09:58:01 PM »

id have to look at the wire diagram to refresh the "how" - but a stock ultra with ultra sidecar has 6 speakers and three sets of volume controls

the sidecar controls show up on the display whenever they are being adjusted...

so.. it definitely can drive 6 stock

to

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 06:41:35 AM »

So lets say I run 4 speakers off the front channel with an amp - I'll need a two channel amp, correct? And that should work

Two channel amp will work fine. Just be sure the impedance of the speaker set up is compatible with the amp

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 06:44:10 AM »

Two channel amp will work fine. Just be sure the impedance of the speaker set up is compatible with the amp

It does drive 6 speakers with the side car, but it has the HK amp if it has the side car.

The rear and sidecar volume control only adjust the headphone volume of that location. It does not adjust speaker volume.

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 12:46:57 PM »

So here's what I think I should do...Get a 2 channel amp (not a 4 channel)and wire the 4 speakers in parallel. Is that right and a easier way than using a 4 channel amp?

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 01:14:59 AM »

you know thats true,! i only use headphones - i cant even tell you for sure if my speakers even work

i cant hear them anyway so they are just "off" turned off the first day years ago, removed the rear pods they are in the way - they could fail and id never know...

hmmm

i also dont use vox - just push to talk - it works all the time, not just sort of some of the time. my hearing is not so great so headphones are a godsend, now if i could get the hands free box to really work right.. *sigh*

to

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 06:21:01 AM »

So here's what I think I should do...Get a 2 channel amp (not a 4 channel)and wire the 4 speakers in parallel. Is that right and a easier way than using a 4 channel amp?

That would work fine

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 08:21:23 PM »

That would work fine

So going that route are there amps other than the Hawg Wire and ARC I should be looking at?  I like both but I'm wondering if 125 watts between 4 speakers will do what i'm after.

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

Re: Will stock HD stereo support 4 or more speaker
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 02:13:33 PM »

I think I've finally settled on two possible plans for how I'm going upgrade my existing stereo but keep the option open if I decide to replace the stock stereo.

PLAN #1: Buy the KS125.2 mini BX, upgrade the stock speaker to 6.5 or 6x9, maybe add the two Hog Tune speaker I already have to the inner fairing.
PLAN #2: Buy a bigger 2 channel amp (200 + watts) and mount it in a saddle bag, upgrade the stock fairing speakers,  add 6 x 9 speakers in the saddle bags, run the balance on the stereo like a fader, front to rear.

Thoughts, Concerns, Suggests?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 24 queries.