Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garmin 76scx  (Read 2638 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Garmin 76scx
« on: April 21, 2006, 11:16:53 AM »

I've read all the posts on here about the 2730 and 2720, and realize they have a lot of advantages when using ONLY on either a car or bike.  But, I'm also a hiker, fly fisherman, skier, mountain biker, boater (Craigcat) etc....so, the down side to those units is they're not really portable (don't run on AA bateries. won't really attach to your belt/backpack), and that is a necessity for me. I can't afford TWO units, so I've got to compromise here....the advantage I see to this model is that is is capable of doing all the road maps (can run the same software as the 27xx versions), PLUS it has removeable memory cards, so you can do a road map on it and topo maps at the same time (or just change the preloaded cards out when you switch "modes" of transportation, i.e., foot vs. wheels).  Though it doesn't have the sweet/biatch voice on it to let you know when you need to turn or when you've screwed up, it does have an audible alert which serves the same purpose. Yes, the screen size is smaller, but it is 256 color, and self adjusting for light conditions, plus they make a holder/mount that would fit on the bike with no problem, and the unit will run off 12 volts as well.  Any of you who are experienced GPS users (this will be my first), and have knowledge about this unit, or are willing to take a look at it and give me your 2 cents worth, it would be greatly appreciated.

My OCD is in full swing here....this site is the best "fix" for that affliction I have ever found...I've learned a tremendous amount from all of you!!  Thanks!!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Garmin 76scx
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 01:14:43 PM »

I'm not familiar with that model but it looks like you did your homewwork.
You can compare features side by side at websites like GPScity.com and others. For pricing you can try comparison sites like bizrate.com and find some great deals.
It sounds like your requirements could be met by the Garmin Quest2 as well? I just wouldn't use the Harley docking bay where you have to cut a large hole in your faring. and you could use the standard Quest2 model and save money over the Harley version.You can then find the link on this site and download the nationwide list of harley dealers too.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 06:10:56 PM »

Got it figured out!  Got the 76scx, V7 of the N. America street map CD, 256mb card (128mb card included already), Topo map of the Eastern US (parks, forests, and such), handy-dandy carrying pouch, automobile "package"(12v adapter, base for car, and the above mentioned v7 map), screen protectors that stick on/peel off (better visability and keeps it from scratching).  It has a TFT 256 color screen, backtracking functions for when I get lost on land or sea.

If any of you are buying GPS units, check out gpsonsale.com....they have the best prices BY FAR!!

Well, one obsession satisfied...on to the next   [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]

TTS Mastertune

PurpleSEI

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 12:57:32 AM »

I have the 76cs and couldn't be happier. I have a rammount system to hook it to the handlebars. I took one of the aux switches and wired a waterproof plug under the headlight. I just plug the 76cs into the plug and I have power. Never had any vibration problems and with 115MB of memory I just download in advance of my trip. I occasionally do a little geocaching with it and I always bring it on the airline just to see where I am and how fast I'm going. You will be happy with yours and you saved a bunch of money.  
Reinhart true duals

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 11:54:49 AM »

Cool Purple....I ordered it...should be here tomorrow.  I'm undecided between the RAM mount and the Tecmount...I like the handlebar connection on the Techmount better.  Yea, I think the poratbility factor will be HUGE, and I'll check out the wiring situation when I get the bike and see what kind of options I have. Thanks for the input!!  

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 12:58:58 PM »

Got it!  Like it!!  Just gotta figure out all the bells and whistles   [smiley=confused5.gif] :o

I tell ya, this kind of stuff just amazes the chit out of me.  I'll have to sit down with a couple of cold ones and figure it all out.... [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]

TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 24 queries.