Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: HD Road Tech Quest Navigation System  (Read 7754 times)

parothed97

HD Road Tech Quest Navigation System
« on: April 22, 2006, 12:21:00 PM »

Has anyone purchased this unit yet?  I'm also interested in the Garmin 2730 and wonder if the Road Tech Mounting Kit would be compatible with the Garmin 2730.

I want to be able to move the GPS between vehicles and the XM capability of the 2730 makes it attractive.  But I'd like a clean install on the HD with direct interface to the Harley stereo system.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: HD Road Tech Quest Navigation System
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 01:04:00 PM »

I have the 2720 and it uses the same mount as the 2730 but I think the Quest has a different docking system. I do see that Harley now has a handlebar mount docking system for the Quest out now so you don't have to cut the large hole in the fairing as you did with the older docking system.
I use the Techmount handlebar system with my 2720 and it changes quickly off the bike and into my Avalanche or another vehicle too.

parothed97

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 03:39:23 PM »

I have the 2720 and it uses the same mount as the 2730 but I think the Quest has a different docking system. I do see that Harley now has a handlebar mount docking system for the Quest out now so you don't have to cut the large hole in the fairing as you did with the older docking system.
I use the Techmount handlebar system with my 2720 and it changes quickly off the bike and into my Avalanche or another vehicle too.

After viewing other posts on GPS, I think that I'd rather cut a hole in the fairing for mounting purposes rather than having a handlebar mount.  In that way, no external wires will be evident and if I have to use another antenna to improve reception for both the GPS and XM reception, it will be hidden as well.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 04:07:01 PM »

parothed97 ,I am by no means an expert but I do read alot on this site and others as well as magazines.
From what i have read the Harley Garmin Quest docking setup on the fairing suffers from vibration in that the GPS will turn on and off everytime it looses a connection between the docking unit and the GPS and it was happening frequently enough to make the GPS useless.
I don't know if a newer version has corrected the problem. I just thought it was interesting on the Harley website under new items they now offer the handlebar mounting system for the Quest. I don't know if they gave up on the fairing docking system or not.
You may want to do a search on here for the Quest and see who owns one and send them a private message and see if they still like their system?
If you used the 2720 or 2730 you could use a removable RAM mount and the cigarette lighter plug setup then you would have a removeable system with no hard wires or brackets left on the bar.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 06:47:48 PM »

parothed97 ,I am by no means an expert but I do read alot on this site and others as well as magazines.
From what i have read the Harley Garmin Quest docking setup on the fairing suffers from vibration in that the GPS will turn on and off everytime it looses a connection between the docking unit and the GPS and it was happening frequently enough to make the GPS useless.
I don't know if a newer version has corrected the problem. I just thought it was interesting on the Harley website under new items they now offer the handlebar mounting system for the Quest. I don't know if they gave up on the fairing docking system or not.
You may want to do a search on here for the Quest and see who owns one and send them a private message and see if they still like their system?
If you used the 2720 or 2730 you could use a removable RAM mount and the cigarette lighter plug setup then you would have a removeable system with no hard wires or brackets left on the bar.

VA ive heard that from a few sources, but the wierd thing is the unit has an internal battery so momentary lapses due to vibration shouldnt be an issue
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Rebel

• Full CVO Member
  • It's called Sanity, but maybe it's me that's crazy
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 08:14:40 PM »

parothed97.  You can pick up the Quest 2 for the same price if not less- and the maps will be already loaded for you for the US & Canada.  If you gotta have the Bar & Shield then go with the Harley model, but if you want the most bang for your buck, buy the Quest 2.  I bought mine from Cyco Active... www.cycoactive.com  they were a little more expensive than a few other places, but after I considered shipping with the ram mounts, etc., it was worth my while to just buy everything there.  I dealt with a fella named Kimo.  BTW, I really like the Quest 2, it gets the job done well.
Later-
The "Rebel"

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 09:40:01 PM »

If it is more than momentary, and mine was, then yes, it would start the shutoff process...unless you changed the setting to not shut off when power is lost....then you just ended up draining the battery.

My replacement mount still works well...I now have a 2730 on the ultra.

/Bill

VA ive heard that from a few sources, but the wierd thing is the unit has an internal battery so momentary lapses due to vibration shouldnt be an issue
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Rebel

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 03:02:13 PM »

Hi Folks- does anyone have any experience with wiring power to the Quest units on a CUSE?  I'm using the internal battery on my Quest 2, and it works fine, but I usually leave the backlight on all the time and on a long trip, I'm concerned about runnin' outta battery juice.  I'd like to set it up so I can easily remove the ram mounts too, and then tuck the wires away.
Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Later-
The "Rebel"

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 03:21:34 PM »

Parrot...I don't pretend to tell you what to do, but I'd think really hard about cutting holes in a painted inner fairing...this technology changes so fast, in a couple of years or so, you might want to change units, then you'd have a big 'ol, ugly a$$ hole to worry about filling up/hiding.  The RAM mounts or the Techmount work really well from what I've read on here.

But, like they say....whatever blows your skirt/chaps up   ;D ;D [smiley=drink.gif]
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 03:47:11 PM »

get the "motorcycle" cradle from garmin and a ram mount then put a cigarert lights plug on the end of it

Rebel

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 03:51:21 PM »

get the "motorcycle" cradle from garmin and a ram mount then put a cigarert lights plug on the end of it

Maybe this is a dumb question, but can I just buy the cig lighter plug seperately???  [smiley=confused5.gif] I've already got the ram mount and the cradle.

Later-
The "Rebel"

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 03:56:58 PM »

goto your local radio shack or other electronics store, i think this is the one i'm using, http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062263&cp=&pg=3&origkw=cigarette+lighter&kw=cigarette+lighter&parentPage=search no soldering required, and uses a blade fuse

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 04:39:58 PM »

Be careful...The speaker version is too big and will hit the tank with the fork all the way to the left...I would just run the wires into the fairing and use the spade recepticles that should be tied off to your headlight wiring.

/Bill

Maybe this is a dumb question, but can I just buy the cig lighter plug seperately???
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Rebel

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 05:01:53 PM »

goto your local radio shack or other electronics store, i think this is the one i'm using, http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062263&cp=&pg=3&origkw=cigarette+lighter&kw=cigarette+lighter&parentPage=search no soldering required, and uses a blade fuse

ok, now I reeeeaaaaaally feel dumb.  I see the cig lighter adapter, but what about the wires and the connector that fit into the bottom of the cradle?

Later-
The "Rebel"

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 06:16:26 PM »

i thought you had that, in that case this might be what you want

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2110748&cp=&origkw=cigarett+lighter&kw=cigarett+lighter&parentPage=search

what cradle do you have?

Rebel

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 06:57:28 PM »

Here's a pic of my cradle.  I got it from cycoactive.

Later-
The "Rebel"

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 07:05:08 PM »

the cable for that cradle is diferent then the last link i gave you, that would be a flat plug that screws into the square opening like the one on your AC charger

Rebel

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 07:07:29 PM »

exactly... do you know where to get it?

Later-
The "Rebel"

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 07:09:01 PM »

sorry i dont,

this is the cradel i use with a ram mount

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10610%2D00

wires were included i just added the cigarette lighter tip to the end

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 07:10:39 PM »

not sure i would feel comfotable using the cradel you show i dont see any way to "lock" the gps in to the cradle ( dont mean for security ) so it cant pop loose

Rebel

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 07:18:49 PM »

not sure i would feel comfotable using the cradel you show i dont see any way to "lock" the gps in to the cradle ( dont mean for security ) so it cant pop loose

Naitram-

Yeah, it's hard to see in the pic, but there are tabs on both bottom corners and an arm that reaches out over the top center that locks it in place securely.  I guess I could just steal the wiring off of a car suction mount, cut off the cig lighter adapter with the speaker and add a new cig lighter adapter that won't hit the tank.  Thanks.

Later-
The "Rebel"
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 25 queries.