Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Second Amp on 2011 FLHXSE/2 - is it possible?  (Read 1744 times)

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
Second Amp on 2011 FLHXSE/2 - is it possible?
« on: August 25, 2011, 10:18:45 AM »

Can I stack a second amp to power the lower fairing speakers only, and would a 2 ohm amp be compatable with the 1 ohm stock amp?  The way I see it, the 100 watt x 2 channel stock amp is powering a total of 8 speakers.  So its more akin to a 12.5 watts a channel, or 25 a channel, depending on if you don't include the tweeters.  If yes, what amp could i use?  Thanks for any thoughts -- 
2011 FLHXSE2, 113 Torque Pounds, Screamin’ Eagle Pro Super Tuner, Vanc & Hines Power Chamber, Rinehart 4", Sundowner Seat, Standard Backrest, FLHX Passenger Floor Boards, Garmin 665 Weather/Nav, 10" Windshield, Fairing, Air Deflectors,

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Second Amp on 2011 FLHXSE/2 - is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 07:34:50 PM »

IIRC, the SESG2 has two 5.25" mid-range speakers in the fairing; two 6.5" mid-range speakers in the fairing lowers and two inner fairing mounted tweeters.

There's room for a second SESG2 amp next to the one on top of the radio if the iPod module is moved to below the radio or to the right side saddlebag where it's mounted on the SESG3. 

Unless there is something in the owner's manual saying the fairing lowers (and their speakers) must not be removed from the SESG2, presumably it's safe to operate the current amp using only the the fairing mid-range speakers and tweeters.  If so, it seems it would be okay to drive the fairing lower speakers with a second OEM amp.

Send a PM to TIF2; he knows a great deal about the SESG2's audio system.

Carl

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 11:31:37 PM »

Thanks for the insight Carl,

Gary
2011 FLHXSE2, 113 Torque Pounds, Screamin’ Eagle Pro Super Tuner, Vanc & Hines Power Chamber, Rinehart 4", Sundowner Seat, Standard Backrest, FLHX Passenger Floor Boards, Garmin 665 Weather/Nav, 10" Windshield, Fairing, Air Deflectors,

Fast FLHX

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Kryptonite FLHXSE2 (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2020 Smokey Grey/Black Hole FLHXSE
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 08:01:28 AM »

I've noticed that the 6.5" mids in the lowers are under powered compared to the 5.25's.  You get more bass out of the  fairing than you do the lowers.  Radio is lacking a basic EQ to change how much power is going to the various components.

Also, does anyone know if the ipod interface is compatible with an aftermarket alpine unit?  Also are the handle bar controls integrated via a pax switch?

I'm considering changing out the HK headunit with an aftermarket unit but don't want to lose handle bar controls.

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 10:05:22 AM »

I've noticed that the 6.5" mids in the lowers are under powered compared to the 5.25's.  You get more bass out of the  fairing than you do the lowers.  Radio is lacking a basic EQ to change how much power is going to the various components.

Also, does anyone know if the ipod interface is compatible with an aftermarket alpine unit?  Also are the handle bar controls integrated via a pax switch?

I'm considering changing out the HK headunit with an aftermarket unit but don't want to lose handle bar controls.

I noticed the same issue:  I have the wiring diagram.  When it says 100watts x 2 channels, its splits on of those channels into the 5.25 and the 6.5.  I'm looking at a way to use a second OEM FLHXSE2 amp to seperately power then, and then moving the Ipod interface to the bottom of my saddle bag.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 09:18:53 PM »

I noticed the same issue:  I have the wiring diagram.  When it says 100watts x 2 channels, its splits on of those channels into the 5.25 and the 6.5.  I'm looking at a way to use a second OEM FLHXSE2 amp to seperately power then, and then moving the Ipod interface to the bottom of my saddle bag.

Adding a second stock amp (when using the stock speakers) will actually decrease the output of both amps. You'll change the load from .5 ohms to 1 ohm for each amp, so the output power will drop significantly.

The reason the lowers do not sound as "full" as the fairing speakers is due to the fact that the lowers do not have a large enough enclosure to provide strong low-end. All things being equal, the fairing speakers will always sound better than the lowers.

It is possible to do it ... just not sure it makes sense to do so. You probably won't notice the drop in output wattage - it will probably play just as "loud" - but it won't change the way the speakers in the lowers "sound". IMHO, the stock SESG2/SESG3 amp is lacking at best, has proven to be COMPLETELY un-relaible (some members are on their 3rd + replaced under waranty). Maybe HD has solved the build quality issue but I am hesitant to reccommend using another stock amp (let alone the original). I've heard that the stock SESG2/SESG3 amp costs around 5 bills and for that kind of budget, there are better solutions.

Anyway ... just my thoughts ... good luck with your project and if I can help I'm more than willing to do so.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 12:55:54 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 01:00:01 PM »

I get my replacement amp in tomorrow -- and will post how that turns out.  Tif2 has been very helpful in explaining the system requirements and problems with stacking the amps.  I am going to study this in great detail before i jump into is, and before I do, I will run it by Tif2 == and post the results. 

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 24 queries.