Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Replaced HD Quest w/ Quest 2  (Read 2845 times)

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
Replaced HD Quest w/ Quest 2
« on: June 15, 2006, 11:00:27 AM »

I got a steal on a Quest 2 and replaced my HD Quest. Since it is the same size, it fits perfectly into the HD GPS holder. Just snaps in and works great. Only big improvement is all the maps are already loaded. Only draw back, I lose the HD logo and the Quest 2 is silver, instead of black (who cares until it comes out in CHROME). If any of you are thinking of buying the HD unit, DON'T.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 11:27:06 AM by MJZ »

Crawdaddy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoy your Freedom
Re: Replaced HD Quest w/ Quest 2
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 11:14:28 AM »

I got a steal on a Quest 2 and replaced my HD Quest. Since it is the same size, it fits perfectly into the HD GPS holder. Just snaps in and works great. Only big improvement is all the maps are already loaded. Big improvement for me. Only draw back, I lose the HD logo. If any of you are thinking of buying the HD unit, DON'T.

Too  late with that advise for me MJZ, I bought the quest for the SEEG with the fairing mount last year when it first came out.  I've had nothing but trouble with the brackets shaking and breaking.  Too many connections and a weak structure cantilevering the weight.  My unit works good when stopped.  Is that what you are talking about?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 11:32:22 AM »

. . . My unit works good when stopped. . .

[smiley=oops.gif]

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 11:34:38 AM »

Not a problem with mine. The mount has been fine. My problems have been with having to load maps on my laptop and transfer with limited memory. I'd take an unexpected trip and not have the correct map downloaded. Plus the screen is so damn small but I bought a new pair of transition bi. glasses and corrected that. Sorry to here about your fairing mount, I wonder if you have just gotten a bad one. I've never had a problem with mine.
If I had it to do all over again, I really like the new 2730 but it is 3X the price and my fairing hole is still going to be there.

Crawdaddy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoy your Freedom
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 12:01:26 PM »

I bought that for my sons birthday coming up.  Thinking of putting my 2620 that is on the Heritage in his box and sealing it back up.  They are nice. ;D

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 08:50:49 PM »

I am thinking of getting the HD model, what do you all suggest?  Is the HD model 2620? and what model is the quest 2?  Thanks
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 05:55:59 AM »

Hi roadrunner,
The Harley Davidson GPS is a Garmin Quest that is rebadged and has the Harley dealership locations added to the software. It sells usually for more than the standard Quest but you can sometimes find it on sale.The dealer locations can be added to other Garmins too.
The Quest 2 is made by Garmin and is an improved version of the original Quest. Both Quest and Quest2 are portable and can be used while walking since they have bateries in addition to being powered on the bike or in your car.
The 2620 is a Garmin model that is a couple of years old and has newer versions out now such as the Garmin model 2720 or 2730 and they are getting ready to release the 2820 or 2830 soon. They do not have a battery system so they must be hooked up to a vehicle or other power source. Their advantage is that they are a plug and play model, you do not have to worry about memory chips of downloading the right maps to use it. You take it out of the box and turn it on and use it. They have touch screens that are larger than the Quest and the higher numbers can do more than just GPS such as XMradio,traffic updates and other stuff. Of course the more features the more they cost.
You may want to look at a site like www.gpscity.com because it allows you to do a comarison side by side of each model.
I hope this helps you.

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 01:11:31 PM »

Thanks Vaeagle, would you know if the newer unit with no battery would fit the HD fairing mount?
2015 FLTRUSE

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 08:30:56 PM »

If you use the HD faring mount you only have the option of using the HD GPS or the Garmin Quest or Quest2. Some folks have had problems with the fairing mount in that it breaks electrical connection and causes the GPS to turn off and on frequently.Others have had no problem. You should consider the fact that GPS technology is rapidly changing and how long will that GPS be usable as long as you plan to keep the bike? If not and you remove it you will be left with a very large hole in your inner faring that you will have to cover somehow or buy a new painted inner fairing for big bucks.
If you want the HD GPS or the Quest or Quest2 I would go with a handlebar mount so you can upgrade later to another or newer model and not have the fairing problems to consider.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 10:36:54 AM »

If you use the HD faring mount you only have the option of using the HD GPS or the Garmin Quest or Quest2. Some folks have had problems with the fairing mount in that it breaks electrical connection and causes the GPS to turn off and on frequently.Others have had no problem. You should consider the fact that GPS technology is rapidly changing and how long will that GPS be usable as long as you plan to keep the bike? If not and you remove it you will be left with a very large hole in your inner faring that you will have to cover somehow or buy a new painted inner fairing for big bucks.
If you want the HD GPS or the Quest or Quest2 [highlight]I would go with a handlebar mount so you can upgrade later to another or newer model and not have the fairing problems to consider.[/highlight]

AMEN!! Wish I'd done that.

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 06:45:14 PM »

Great info thanks, I have the Wild1 handle bars and I have not found a bar mount that will fit.  Guess I will hold off for now.  Verizon is offering a service on a few of their phones, runs 9.99 a month or 1.99 a day (24 hrs).  Might go that route. Ride Safe!
2015 FLTRUSE

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.