Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Factory speaker lids or aftermarket speaker lids?  (Read 6732 times)

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
Factory speaker lids or aftermarket speaker lids?
« on: March 02, 2012, 01:08:59 PM »

So I am a big fan of the look of the new factory saddlebag lids, but the aftermarket have 6x9's instead of 5x7's. Please chime in with your opinion, why did you go with the lids you went with?

There are many more 6x9's on the market.

Some of the aftermarket lids are real nice.

Factory Lids come painted to match

Factory lids look..... factory... duh

So what is your opinion??

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
Re: Factory speaker lids or aftermarket speaker lids?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 01:18:59 PM »

I have to say I like the look of the factory lids better than any other design I've seen. Now that there are more speaker options coming out to fit them that's the way I'd go.  JMHO

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »

I do a agree, the factory ones look nicer. I also was just looking at the Bager Nation lids, doesn't look like the factory installed iPod pocket will still work??

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 01:28:48 PM »

I remember reading in another thread that Hybrid Audio is coming out with a set of speakers that will fit the factory '12 saddlebag lids.....I have their speakers in the dash and lowers and they sound great.....I would wait a few months and see what they end up offering for the lids.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 01:32:42 PM »

That is what I am leaning towards, I read that also.

Does anybody know the part numbers of the factory grills? I found the lids, and the "Speaker Kits" which I don't want, I just want to purchase the grills.

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 04:24:47 PM »

I would go the factory route if the paint is tough to match.  I have been exchaning PM's with TIF2 - who is actually helping HAT develop the lid speakers.  Looks like this is the way I am going to go for my speaker options after listening to them at a local dealer.
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 05:51:11 PM »

That is what I am leaning towards, I read that also.

Does anybody know the part numbers of the factory grills? I found the lids, and the "Speaker Kits" which I don't want, I just want to purchase the grills.

Just check the "Service Parts" list in this link:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J05386.pdf

Carl

hacksaw

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 08:27:08 AM »

I went with the factory lids for the simple fact my painter said he has dealt with some of the aftermarket lids and there was a lot of prep work.  He said the HD lids actually are a much more quality product.  BTW, my painter does mostly custom work and is extremely knowledgeable so he's not just trying to take the easy way out.  Should have mine back any day and will post some pic's.
2006 UltraClassic Screaming Eagle, SERT, Rineharts, Coastal Moto wheels, raked and stretched, chrome and more chrome

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 05:46:47 PM »

I have to say I like the look of the factory lids better than any other design I've seen. Now that there are more speaker options coming out to fit them that's the way I'd go.  JMHO

X2  I like the look of the factory lids too.

15CVOSG

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO FLHXSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2011 CVO FLHXSE2 (SOLD)
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 06:49:11 PM »

I have a new set of the boom audio 5x7 speaker's for sale if anyone need's a set...

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 01:36:34 AM »

I would go the factory route if the paint is tough to match.  I have been exchaning PM's with TIF2 - who is actually helping HAT develop the lid speakers.  Looks like this is the way I am going to go for my speaker options after listening to them at a local dealer.

So I trust you were impressed?
What lines did they have available for you to audition? Did they have a set of Legatia SE available for you to hear, especially with the Pro-2-SE tweeters?

I hope to have a set of HAT prototype drop-ins for the H-D lids by mid-May. HAT sent me 3-D images of the final modeling and they look very, VERY interesting. I can say with all confidence that they look killer; they have been designed to optimize not only the rider -  but also the passenger -  benefits of directed sound.

Stay tuned ... I'll post up my eval of them as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:41:49 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 01:41:00 AM »

I have a new set of the boom audio 5x7 speaker's for sale if anyone need's a set...

Are they the 2-ohm or 1-ohm version?
Speakers only or the full kit?

Shoot me a PM ... I'm toying with some ideas and may be interested.
TIF2

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 01:46:12 AM »

He
I went with the factory lids for the simple fact my painter said he has dealt with some of the aftermarket lids and there was a lot of prep work.  He said the HD lids actually are a much more quality product.  BTW, my painter does mostly custom work and is extremely knowledgeable so he's not just trying to take the easy way out.  Should have mine back any day and will post some pic's.

Hey man ... did you make it through the storms ok?
I saw reports of the devastation on WLWT "near Piner" and immediately thought of you and your family. We got VERY lucky - nothing hear but rain and some moderately high winds. Hope you and yours made it through safely.

Turns out we're really close ... let me know if you'd like to buzz over and hear/see my setup.

We shop in Florence regularly ... about 30 mins from us.
How far is that from you?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:49:19 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

hacksaw

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 08:52:11 AM »

He
Hey man ... did you make it through the storms ok?
I saw reports of the devastation on WLWT "near Piner" and immediately thought of you and your family. We got VERY lucky - nothing hear but rain and some moderately high winds. Hope you and yours made it through safely.

Turns out we're really close ... let me know if you'd like to buzz over and hear/see my setup.

We shop in Florence regularly ... about 30 mins from us.
How far is that from you?

Thanks for asking, it hit about 1/2 to 1 mile down the road, did a little damage to trees on the back end of my property.  Way to close for comfort, the wife was working from home that day which made it worse, she and the lab hit the basement and are both fine.  We volunteered saturday and sunday, really gives you a reality check on what mother nature can do.  We were giving out food, pop, water and BEER sunday and people were so appreciative, had people thanking us while tears were flowing.  I posted some pics I took on Carlisle road and to me this road wasn't hit as hard as Bagby or Parkers Grove.  Carlisle is about a 1/4 mile down the road from me, I'm on Bracht Piner (14).  Look at the pics posted in other or off topics.  We'll definately need to hook up for a ride some time, I was down rabbit hash one afternoon and started talking to a guy and it turned out to be Faceracer from here, small world.
2006 UltraClassic Screaming Eagle, SERT, Rineharts, Coastal Moto wheels, raked and stretched, chrome and more chrome
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.