Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Harmon Kardon out! In with the new, but what?  (Read 4774 times)

Rosco444

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Street Glide Slate/Black Diamond
Harmon Kardon out! In with the new, but what?
« on: August 18, 2012, 12:45:41 PM »

Guys, picked up my 2012 SESG in January and I'm on my 3rd Harmon Kardon radio.  My dealer can not give me a brand new one from HK, they only have refurbs to offer me. Well at first I didn't care but now I've been convinced their audio guy hasn't got a clue how to fix these. Every time I schlep bach to HD, there's another issue with the refurb. No left channel, no display and now no volume. WTF is going on?
So I'm thinking about trashing the whole HK radio and give myself an upgrade that Harley Davidson should have done a decade ago. I would like to find a plug and play aftermarket AM/FM/CD/IPod/NAV radio out there that does it all, maybe even CB, but haven't a clue where to start. Any suggestions on a manufacturer, model name or company that has a replacement upgrade that fits exactly in the slot in is weather resistant?

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
Re: Harmon Kardon out! In with the new, but what?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 06:49:18 AM »

I have installed a complete Alpine system: the IDA-x 301 RR with the small amp KTP-445, with Hawg Wired adaptor. Works fine and really better sound than the HK unit. I don't have CD anymore, using just Ipod and usb key. The installation is plug and play and easy to do.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 07:51:44 AM »

Guys, picked up my 2012 SESG in January and I'm on my 3rd Harmon Kardon radio.  My dealer can not give me a brand new one from HK, they only have refurbs to offer me. Well at first I didn't care but now I've been convinced their audio guy hasn't got a clue how to fix these. Every time I schlep bach to HD, there's another issue with the refurb. No left channel, no display and now no volume. WTF is going on?
So I'm thinking about trashing the whole HK radio and give myself an upgrade that Harley Davidson should have done a decade ago. I would like to find a plug and play aftermarket AM/FM/CD/IPod/NAV radio out there that does it all, maybe even CB, but haven't a clue where to start. Any suggestions on a manufacturer, model name or company that has a replacement upgrade that fits exactly in the slot in is weather resistant?

if you want the stock hk to work send it to iron cross audio. warranty may cover. search iron cross on this site for more references.they do offer discount to members here if warranty will not cover.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 07:54:04 AM by smkymtnboy »

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 09:30:59 AM »

Guys, picked up my 2012 SESG in January and I'm on my 3rd Harmon Kardon radio.  My dealer can not give me a brand new one from HK, they only have refurbs to offer me. Well at first I didn't care but now I've been convinced their audio guy hasn't got a clue how to fix these. Every time I schlep bach to HD, there's another issue with the refurb. No left channel, no display and now no volume. WTF is going on?

That is unacceptable....and why we do not exchange units.
I completely understand why you would want dump the HK, but if you want to retain it and have it fixed right, let us know.
Because its still under warranty, we would be willing to work with you on the price.

Rosco444

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 09:20:04 PM »

Thank you guys for your responses. I will consider sticking with the HK but,

I do have a question for Iron Cross Audio, if it is warrantee work, what do we need to work out a price on?

Boxman88

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • States
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 09:38:04 PM »

I do have a question for Iron Cross Audio, if it is warrantee work, what do we need to work out a price on?
I am waiting to see the answer to this one also.
Warranty to me means $0.00 dollars to fix. Maybe pay too ship to ICA but nothing else.
This should be a good one.

Charcoal Slate / Carbon Dust
HD Super Tuner / Custom Map
VH Power Duals / H.O. Slip On's
121 Torque 111 Hp
Progressive Monotubes Front
Progressive 944 Rear

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 10:20:16 PM »

We do not do the warranty work for Harley.
Because your radio is still under warranty, we would be willing to work with you on a price.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 10:33:36 PM »

iron cross repaired my radio cheaper than i could keep going  back and forth to the dealer just to hear we will get you another one. two years ago and still works great!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 10:33:57 AM »

Iron Cross repaired a radio for me also...they are very fair on price and the work and turn around time is excellent. I had the radio shipped to them, repaired and back in my hands faster than I could get a appointment at the dealer for them to look at it.

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 10:49:27 AM »

I am waiting to see the answer to this one also.
Warranty to me means $0.00 dollars to fix. Maybe pay too ship to ICA but nothing else.
This should be a good one.

Seems to me you have a choice: Free exchange unit from HD under warranty, or a fixed unit from Iron Cross for a negotiated price.  I assume they offer a price discussion because they recognize you have a no-cost alternative.   

Has anyone had a bad experience with ICA?  I have never heard anything but positive feedback about them, and plenty of it!  That's not too common these days.
Big Lew
IBA #595

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 12:46:23 PM »

Iron Cross repaired a radio for me also...they are very fair on price and the work and turn around time is excellent. I had the radio shipped to them, repaired and back in my hands faster than I could get a appointment at the dealer for them to look at it.

X2-That's what I did too.

Didn't want to leave the bike at the dealer for a week or more so did it my self and sent radio to iron cross on my dime.  Everyone is different though.

Iron Cross is a fine vendor to work with.     :2vrolijk_21: 

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 01:39:50 PM »

Ditto.....quick turnaround...Are they making and installing the head unit death bolts for the handlebar clamp? I thunked they would gotten rid of em...
 :confused5:

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »

Ditto.....quick turnaround...Are they making and installing the head unit death bolts for the handlebar clamp? I thunked they would gotten rid of em...
 :confused5:

I thought that's been changed at the production level. That bulletin is over a year old.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 02:19:30 PM »

And your point?   :P :D

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

Re: Re: Re: Harmon Kardon out! In with the new, but what?
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 02:41:03 PM »

And your point?   :P :D

I'm pointless......

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 03:02:38 PM »

:huepfenlol2:

Me too.... :drink:

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 11:12:12 AM »

iron cross repaired my radio cheaper than i could keep going  back and forth to the dealer just to hear we will get you another one. two years ago and still works great!
This seems like the best advice. Same reason a lot of us just installed the Heat Demons instead of half a dozen times trying to make the HD ones last. Done right the first time is always the goal. I have heard nothing but good comments about Iron Cross.

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 12:52:15 PM »

Iron Cross fixed my radio, first time  :2vrolijk_21:
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 07:50:55 AM »

flatscreen too much?  :drink:
Wut the hell was that maneuver

BADBAGG

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 O/B D& D Fat Cat , SE 259E Cams , High Compression Pistons , TTS Mastertune, Yaffe Monkeys bars , Yaffe Monkey engine guard , Kenwood DVD/CD radio 650 watts 7 speakers. C & C solo seat , Motorcycle Armor, Klock Werks 8" windsheild,30 tooth pulley
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 05:55:48 PM »

Iron Cross fixed one for me also. Great job quick turn around. Been over a year, no issues...

Rosco444

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 08:52:41 AM »

First of all thanks for your input, I found it amazing that Iron Cross Audio was everyones first choice of action with a Harmon Kardon problems. I reached out to ICA to explain that I'm giving my dealer one last chance to make this right since they got their fingerprints all over this.  I'm heading to HD today with a half-assed feeling it'll be done right and that I'll be able to ride home with my tunes. ......

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 11:36:54 AM »

First of all thanks for your input, I found it amazing that Iron Cross Audio was everyones first choice of action with a Harmon Kardon problems. I reached out to ICA to explain that I'm giving my dealer one last chance to make this right since they got their fingerprints all over this.  I'm heading to HD today with a half-assed feeling it'll be done right and that I'll be able to ride home with my tunes. ......

Which dealer are you using???  I am 20 minutes from you over in Westbury.

Rosco444

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 11:54:28 AM »

Miracle Mile in Great Neck. On my way there now.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 12:50:37 PM »

Miracle Mile in Great Neck. On my way there now.

I was just there yesterday!! Who has been working on your bike?

Rosco444

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 05:02:56 PM »

All good. It was great riding home with Stevie Ray and a little bit of Janis. My riding buddies! Never thought I'd miss them until you do without for a few weeks. BTW they ordered my chrome recalled voltage regulator, that'll be next week. 
Thanks Brothers!

MJB,

Heading to Full Throttle's Biker Build Off this Sunday out at the Red River Inn.
http://www.facebook.com/events/395312553857950/

Get ready to blow the roof of of Yaphank and help us celebrate 10 years of Bike, Babes, Rides, Events, and great relationships with our readers, advertisers and all the charities we've supported in that time! 50/50, Raffles, door prizes, Vendors, awesome buffet spread and treats for the kiddies!

The 6th annual build off will put the East End up against the West End having Deadwood Choppers try and hold their title against Halo Cycles!

**We're raising money for Make a Wish again so there is a $5.00 donat...See More

Red River Inn
Yaphank, New York
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 21 queries.