Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Mic stays open when using CB  (Read 2563 times)

HD Jim

• Full CVO Member
  • 110ci of fun

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
Mic stays open when using CB
« on: September 19, 2012, 08:35:13 AM »

Has anyone had an issue with the mic staying open when they key it to talk on the CB?  I found that adjusting the VOX for the intercom to closed helps but it is not a cure.  The intercom is off but the VOX must still be active.  Problem is it doesn't always do this but when it does the mic stays active for a while.  This is anoying when trying to talk to someone as they can reply but I can not hear them because my mic is open.  Not sure if the CB is broadcasting because I am not talking at the time it does that so all that would be sent is normal bike noise.  Dealer of course was unable to find an issue but they did put the latest software in the radio.  I have tried this with a handheld mic and a helmet mic which are both Harley mic's.  I had previously used a different helmet mic but it died.  There were no issues with that mic.    :confused5:

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
Re: Mic stays open when using CB
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 11:46:33 AM »

I had a similar problem with mine from new at whatever VOX setting hi or lo it was pickink up wind and exhaust noise moved the mic high up in the helmet almost level with my eye and it helped .. just decided in the long run we could live with pushing the PTT button when we need to comunicate turned the VOX off works fine that way
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »

I've been told, that when mine does this... I am not transmitting.

From all that I've read on here, about similar issues, it's the NIM causing all the problems.

My system seems to work fine until I connect the GPS and attempt to listen to the mp3s on there.  The NAV/Comm Volume input keeps breaking in on the head unit and has separate control of the volume.  Just about the time I get the two pretty close to one another, I find myself sitting at a stop or pulling into a parking lot... when suddenly the NIM kicks in the NAV/COM Volume.  Goes from Mild to Wild in a heartbeat.

The thing I noticed with the CB or Intercom mic acting as if it's open... there's nothing I can do to make it quit.  I thought I had figured it out on my ride to Texas...  when the mic would kick open, I would dump the squelch, key the mic, and then put the squelch back.  It worked a couple of times, but it was just coincidence... the NIM has about a 7 to 14 second interval where it's messing up communicating with the CB, GPS, Stereo, and Intercom.  SO, because I don't use it that often... I haven't taken it in to get replaced, as I don't want anyone at our Shop touching the bike any more than they already have.   8)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:56:00 PM by T-Hawk »
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

rlede84178

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 05:44:20 PM »

I've had simular problems, the shop can't find anything wrong or replicate it either. The only way I've gotten it to stop is turn the radio off and then back on, seems to reset what ever is wrong. I ride with a small group and it seems to stick open when turn or other instructions are being given. What a pain....

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 07:51:48 PM »

Mine wont play mp3s from the GPS thru the head set unless I connect the aux out from the GPS to the aux in on the radio and from what I have read that is how its supposed to be the NIM senses output from the GPS and CB and will interupt the music signal from the radio I dont think it will interupt from an external source like the AUX port the other thing you can set the volume for each seperate source ..when the gps is saying something increase/decrease  the volume before it shuts off same with the cb press ptt and turn up volume etc
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 07:36:38 AM »

If it is the NIM and it may be then the next time it does it look at the radio display and see if it says "Phone/Nav". If it does then it is the NIM. In order to hear any thing out of the GPS with the exception of turn prompts you must split the audio output from the GPS so that it feeds both the NIM and the AUX input. Lots of info here just do a search. This is a common issue with the NIM. Disconnecting the NIM will solve the issue and also test it to be sure it is what is causing the issue.

Getting Harley to replace it under warranty is another issue.

The NIM has nothing to do with the CB and does not control the CB.

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

HD Jim

• Full CVO Member
  • 110ci of fun

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 07:45:22 AM »

Jim do you know if replacing the NIM would solve the issue?  I am going to check the display next time it happens to see if it shows what is on besides the CB.

T-Hawk

• Senior CVO Member
    • AK

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 06:21:31 PM »

I must have something wrong with my NIM then.  As stated in earlier post, the only way you should be able to playback mp3s from the GPS is to connect it through the AUX on the Stereo.

My problem is, and on more than one occasion, when the NAV/COMM Volume prompt displays in the stereo, I can completely disconnect the patch cord between the GPS and the AUX connection and still hear the GPS's mp3 playing through the speakers, and not the GPS itself.  Weird, as I thought if I disconnected from the AUX input, the sound would come directly from the GPS.  Still doesn't answer the question as to why the microphone on the headset appears to be open, and still allowing even regular output from the stereo.

But, like David Lee Roth once said in an interview.  "Don't Sweat the Little Chit...... it's All Little Chit"

8)
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 08:58:17 PM »

Here is some information i found interesting about the correct installation of the NIM for everything to work properly. 

__________I found this through Google-------------------------------

Questions I receive about the operation of the Harley Davidson Navigation Module (NIM) Part # 76000024.

First let me say that the H-D Bomm is compatible with the Navigation Interface Module and can be used to take or place cell phone calls using your helmet microphone and the GPS cell phone interface.  This and other information can be found at: www.hdbomm.com

I receive at least a dozen phone calls and or emails regarding the operation and or compatibility of the H-D Bomm and the NIM. Most of these questions have to do with the operation of the NIM that is factory or dealer installed. It seams to me that most people including many dealers and Harley techs do not have a clue as to what the NIM does or how it does it so I will attempt to explain it here. If you have bike with a factory installed NIM then you should find this information interesting. If you purchased a NIM and you installed it then you should not have a problem as long as you installed the Y connector and stereo cable that comes with the MIN kit and you are using the Harley Road Tech GPS with the latest software update 3.70. This update can be found here
www.harley-davidson.com/zumo and click on "Road Tech 660 GPS Navigator", and then the "Downloads" tab to obtain the latest version.

If you purchased a NIM and had the dealer install it then you may find this information interesting if the dealer did not install the Y connector and stereo cable.

If you purchased you NIM kit from a dealer and you are having problems it may be because you purchased one of the early kits. There was an error in the wiring directions included with these early kits which prevents the NIM from working.  Two wires were swapped in the early directions. That could be your problem. It has to do with the Tan/Blue wire and the violet/gray wires needing to be swapped. Tan/blue should go to cavity 31 and violet gray should go to cavity 19. Follow the wiring direction found here:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J05169.pdf

The Harley Boom Navigation Interface Module is an interface that connects to the bikes radio and Harleys Road Tech GPS. You must use the Harley Road Tech GPS with software version 3.70 the Garmin Zumo GPS will not work with the NIM. It functions by interrupting the radio output signal (AM, FM, CD etc.) when a turn prompt from the GPS is present. In other words if you are listening to an FM radio station and you have a turn prompt from the GPS the NIM will turn off the FM and pass the turn prompt to the radio so that you will hear it. After the turn prompt ends the NIM will allow the radio to return to the FM station you were listening to prior to the turn prompt.

There is a reason it is called the Navigation Interface Module. The reason is that it will ONLY interrupt the radios output for a turn (Navigation) prompt. It will NOT interrupt the radios output in order to pass XM, MP3 songs or cell phone calls from the GPS to the radio so that you can hear them. 

In order for you to hear XM, MP3 songs or a cell phone call from the GPS you must have the audio output from the GPS routed to the Auxiliary input of the radio. This is accomplished by installing a Y connector and a 3.5mm stereo cable. The Y connector and stereo cable comes with the NIM kit if you were to purchase the kit from a dealer. The factory does not install or include the Y connector or stereo cable. So if you purchased your bike from the dealer with a factory installed NIM then you will have to install or have the dealer install these two components.

You can find the information on how to install the Y connector and stereo cable here:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J05169.pdf

You must have the radio in the Auxiliary input mode of operation (select AUX on the radio) in order to hear MP3 songs, XM or a cell phone call.

I hope I have helped you understand how the NIM works and why you may be having problems with not being able to hear XM, MP# or a cell phone signals from the GPS.

Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 08:18:07 AM »

Jim do you know if replacing the NIM would solve the issue?  I am going to check the display next time it happens to see if it shows what is on besides the CB.

If you want to make sure (100%) that the NIM is the problem then disconnect the audio output from the GPS that goes to the NIM. This is a 3.5mm stereo Jack and it easy to disconnect. If your problem goes away and never comes back then the NIM is the culprit. You can still get all audio outputs from the GPS if you connect the audio output from the GPS to the AUX input port on the radio. Of course you will no longer have the NIM so turn prompts will not interupt the radio, you must be in the AUX mode to hear the GPS audio.

Jim

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 10:29:27 AM »

My problem is, and on more than one occasion, when the NAV/COMM Volume prompt displays in the stereo, I can completely disconnect the patch cord between the GPS and the AUX connection and still hear the GPS's mp3 playing through the speakers, and not the GPS itself.  Weird, as I thought if I disconnected from the AUX input, the sound would come directly from the GPS.  Still doesn't answer the question as to why the microphone on the headset appears to be open, and still allowing even regular output from the stereo.
I've had this happen also.  If you see Nav/Comm on the radio display then the NIM is activated.  And if there are no GPS turn prompts to transmit then yes it will pass thru the audio from your MP3s.  My '12 was built on 10/10/11 so I think I have the newer version NIM but not for sure.

Guess I'll deal with it sometime in the future but not too bothered by it right now.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 01:16:22 PM »

There are problems even if you have the new NIM.
Harley did not solve the problems with it activating the microphone.
I have seen the problems with the new NIM same problems as was present with the original NIM.

Jim

T-Hawk

• Senior CVO Member
    • AK

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 01:36:49 PM »

Seeing how there aren't many directions out of town for me... I have the NAV Prompts for the GPS muted.  But, even if they are muted, and I'm not actually navigating anywhere, just using the GPS for a more accurate speedometer, when pushing mp3s through the AUX input on the stereo the NAV/COMM interferes with the volume settings.  And when I have my BSR with me and we're chatting across the Intercom, there's still the open mic issue.

But, I can live with it... I think.

8)
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 07:11:42 AM »

Seeing how there aren't many directions out of town for me... I have the NAV Prompts for the GPS muted.  But, even if they are muted, and I'm not actually navigating anywhere, just using the GPS for a more accurate speedometer, when pushing mp3s through the AUX input on the stereo the NAV/COMM interferes with the volume settings.  And when I have my BSR with me and we're chatting across the Intercom, there's still the open mic issue.

But, I can live with it... I think.

8)

Another issue with the original NIM was that it at times activated when playing MP3 songs or when listening to XM radio via the GPS. This happens because some songs will closely resemble the activation signal that the GPS would normally send to the NIM when a turn prompt was present. Once activated it stays activated unless turn the radio off then back on. It will stay activated because the NIM does not receive the de-activation signal that would normally be sent from the GPS when the turn prompt had ended.

Jim

cyco1450

• Elite CVO Member
  • Cheaper to keep her...
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO RG Black Earth/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO SG - sold
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 06:40:25 PM »

Sklyway,
You seem to have ally of knowledge about the NIM.  My problem is, I have a 2011 SESG and the P and A book seems to say that the NIM is not compatible with my bike? Very confused? How could that be?
2018 CVO RG Black Earth
2007 CVO Springer Amarillo Gold 1 of 398
2003 100th Ann FLSTCI
2001 CVO Switchblade
1999 Dyna WG Zippers 107
1997 Heritage Springer Ol’ Boy
1997 Fat Boy Street Stalker 1 of 1
1993 Heritage Softail Cow Glide #1109
1990 Fat Boy Grey Ghost 1st year
1977 FLH Restomod
1977 XLCR
1971 FX Night Train!

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 07:05:20 AM »

The SESG does not have the 6A and 6B connector which the NIM uses. No problem you can make a Y connector for your bike which will add the connectors you need. This is what the wiring should look like.

miceracs

• Live 3 and ride safe
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Best Harley in Brighton 2011

• CVO1: 2015 RoadGlide Ultra CVO
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 09:26:47 AM »

:nixweiss:  I have similar issues.
when receiving road direction changes from the Road Tech, sometimes the mic stays on. Although Doris has finished telling me which road to take.
Also, the mic volume is on full gain when this happens which makes it ultra sensative to engine noise, etc.

CB is not switched on.
Radio is on.

Is this the same problem as above?

I work to fund my ability to roam countries on my bike, I live for the day when I no longer need to work and still do what I want!

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 12:33:34 PM »

Yes, same problem. NIM is bad.

HD Jim

• Full CVO Member
  • 110ci of fun

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 09:10:13 PM »

Well so far my research shows even if I get Harley to put in a new NIM the issue will not be fixed.  It looks to me like there is a major design flaw that causes this issue.  Well I have an extended warranty hope it continues to cover the issue. :(

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 07:39:36 AM »

You have to replace with a good NIM. Not saying the replacement will be good or not. Had one customer who went through 3 NIM's before the problem was fixed. His biggest problem was getting Harley to replace the NIM 3 times. Good thing he worked for a dealer.

Remove the NIM and the issue will be resolved. Old saying "eliminate all other possibilities and what remains must be the truth". It is a NIM issue.

Jim
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 24 queries.