Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Looking at replacement bulbs, not headlight  (Read 1817 times)

ultrarider123

Re: Looking at replacement bulbs, not headlight
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 09:39:08 AM »

Well, received and installed the PIAA lights yesterday.  I was hoping to ride in this morning and give a report but my wife had a last minute business trip to Orlando and had to get her to the airport this morning instead.  Should get a chance in the morning.  I did, however, get to see the light output in my closed, dark garage and was impressed with the H9 high beam and from what I can tell with just a few minutes, the H11 low beam is a bit brighter, too.  Since the headlight didn't change, the light spread was close to stock with a few different "hot spots" I noticed on my garage wall.  No real way to tell until I ride with them....so will post results in tomorrow after ride into work. 

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 10:59:20 PM »

Say Howard, I took a look at those PIAA lights, I'm a little confused,..(mind you it don't take much for me now a days). On the H11 headlight bulb it says,...PIAA replacement bulbs are a fast and easy to improve your motorbikes headlights output.
Yet,.. in Notes, it says, PIAA lights are intended for use solely as AUXILIARY lighting.
PIAA motorbike lights are NOT intended to be used for headlight purposes, nor are they certified for headlight usage. What's up with that :confused5: 

ultrarider123

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 07:35:55 AM »

Pete, I'm guessing here but maybe because they state standard wattage at 55 for the H11 and 65 for the H9 but visually, it's close to 110 and 120, respectively.  Some states look at brightness levels and can ticket (but rarely do).  Motorcycles are "legal" here with the 55 low and 65 high.  We use to be able to purchase higher wattage bulbs in the local dealers but haven't seen them around here in a while (last couple years) but those are not legal for on highway use....of course, everybody still uses them on highway.

Did get a chance to ride in this morning and really like the light pattern on both of the low and high beam.  The low (H11) was a whiter light than the Sylvania bulb I tried and on my straight road "object" test, I could see some of the trees on the side and ahead of me a bit better.  The high beam is something else (H9).  Really liked that extra power.  Again, using my straight-a-way example, where I normally only see most of the way down that road, I could see all the way down that road where it drops off and turns....much better.

A couple posts mentioned life of the bulbs for the PIAA's.  I'll post if there are any problems with longevity or use.  I'm happy with the results and costs of the PIAA.  These will do until I've decided to open the wallet for the LED options and hopefully by that time, the costs will have gone down quite a bit... :2vrolijk_21:

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 05:47:31 PM »

I see what you mean Howard, by the "Note" there covering there "arses" for those states on brightness laws.
 Over here no law, bigger brighter the better,....pause had to stop, the wife watches American Idol and Bon Jovi just played his new song live, Because of you, Jovi fan ;D. you can never have to much light to see and be seen.

So these bulbs just fit striate in to the stock headlamp? I'm assuming yours are stock

It sounds like they did the trick for ya man, good deal.

ultrarider123

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 06:40:53 PM »

Hey Pete. Yep stock twin bulb headlight.  I'm really happy with the results. Cost about $90 bucks US getting here so not too bad. As a side note, Vickie and I are headed to Vegas in April to see Bon Jovi at MGM. I'll take pictures  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.