Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Best source for LED replacement bulbs ( for motolights )?  (Read 4983 times)

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
Best source for LED replacement bulbs ( for motolights )?
« on: May 23, 2013, 06:00:32 AM »

I have used the search feature but can't find the thread for LED bulbs for Motolights. Someone on this sight found them at a much better price than Motolights sells them for, ( something like $10.00 vs $110.00 ). I don't mind spending money on my Harleys' but If the bulbs are the same It would bother me to pay  ten times the price.
Thanks.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
Re: Best source for LED replacement bulbs ( for motolights )?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 07:20:42 AM »

It was from an eBay vendor.  The vendors for these bulbs seem to come and go, but here is a link to one that has them for $6.00 each, including shipping.  You can do a search on eBay and find a few others; just make sure they have a 30 degree beam spread.  Most of the vendors are from China, and it usually takes 10-14 days to get them, but it sure saves a lot of money.  I bought 6 a while back just to have some spares, but so far haven't needed them.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/MR16-4W-12V-30-Degree-Cool-White-4-LED-Bulb-Spot-Light-Lamp-Downlight-/261210142053?pt=US_Light_Bulbs&hash=item3cd1567565
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

motor1

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 10:26:16 PM »

Thank you Scrm-r, ordered six tonight

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 08:58:58 AM »

None of my business, but are you sure that "great deal" really is a great deal?  It looks to me like those LED bulbs are just regular old bulbs meant for standard uses, not vehicular designs.  I'm not familiar with the bulbs that come with the Moto Lights, but considering the vibration and constant pounding they take mounted to the unsprung portion of the bike I'd guess they would need to be a little tougher than the ones in your kitchen downlights or landscape lights.  :nixweiss:

"Application: Landscape Scene/ Spot Lighting, Architectural Lighting, Display Scene, Artwork Lighting, Mood Lighting/ General Lighting, Amusement Park Scene"

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 06:18:06 PM »

They are the same dang bulb.  I bought the ones from Motolight (about $120.00 for the pair), then when I wanted to fab some lights for the engine guard I bought the Chinese bulbs.  Side by side you can't tell them apart.  Light output is the same, and also the same color.  I've been running them for about one year now with no issues.  Also have riding buddies, including some site members running them with no problems.  So far, everyone who has tried them loves them,and agrees that they are much brighter than the Moto halogen bulbs as well.  And if they do fail, I can purchase about 10 of the Chinese bulbs for the price of one Moto bulb.  I believe in free enterprise and all, but their markup on LED bulbs is ridiculous, IMO.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 08:06:18 PM »

Wish this came up before I ordered Moto's LED's 2 months ago  :(
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 11:06:09 PM »

None of my business, but are you sure that "great deal" really is a great deal?  It looks to me like those LED bulbs are just regular old bulbs meant for standard uses, not vehicular designs.  I'm not familiar with the bulbs that come with the Moto Lights, but considering the vibration and constant pounding they take mounted to the unsprung portion of the bike I'd guess they would need to be a little tougher than the ones in your kitchen downlights or landscape lights.  :nixweiss:

"Application: Landscape Scene/ Spot Lighting, Architectural Lighting, Display Scene, Artwork Lighting, Mood Lighting/ General Lighting, Amusement Park Scene"

Jerry
I use the same bulb in my ground lights around the house, they burn out in about 30 days and they get zero vibration.  Sure would like to know how they hold up on a bike and in a sealed Moto light, let us know.

Thanks
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »

I use the same bulb in my ground lights around the house, they burn out in about 30 days and they get zero vibration.  Sure would like to know how they hold up on a bike and in a sealed Moto light, let us know.

Thanks

I have ridden about 3K miles using those bulbs in the motolights on my 2011.5 SEUC.
Of course my motor is vibration free due to the great tune by hd-dude. (but that is another story)

;D     ;D     ;D

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 07:24:54 AM »

They are the same dang bulb.  I bought the ones from Motolight (about $120.00 for the pair), then when I wanted to fab some lights for the engine guard I bought the Chinese bulbs.  Side by side you can't tell them apart.  Light output is the same, and also the same color.  I've been running them for about one year now with no issues.  Also have riding buddies, including some site members running them with no problems.  So far, everyone who has tried them loves them,and agrees that they are much brighter than the Moto halogen bulbs as well.  And if they do fail, I can purchase about 10 of the Chinese bulbs for the price of one Moto bulb.  I believe in free enterprise and all, but their markup on LED bulbs is ridiculous, IMO.

x2.  Same bulbs as SCRM-R, about a year in Motolights, bike ridden quite a bit including some rough mountain roads, not 1 problem.

Appears there is only 1 basic deign for this bulb, and that some vendors are selling it for a ridiculous mark up when compared to others. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 10:46:50 AM »

So what's the longer term reliability report on these knock-offs?  I'm gearing up to purchase a set of Motolights, and I'm wondering if I should not opt upfront for the LEDs?

Thanks!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 05:07:08 PM »

Same as earlier - all good.  Still running the original low cost LED bulbs SCRM-R found, with zero problems.  Great for cornering at night, too.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 02:09:04 AM »

Ive been getting LEDs from a place called  superbrightleds.com   great company to deal with and pretty good prices
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

motor1

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 07:48:22 AM »

Still working, no problems

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 12:29:46 PM »

Holy cow, I just put the chrome lights with the stock 30w bulbs with the stainless cable and it's $600 before shipping??  Jeez.  They aren't shy are they?  Man, I thought these were in the $300-$400 range?  Was there a big price increase or something?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 01:07:32 PM »

Holy cow, I just put the chrome lights with the stock 30w bulbs with the stainless cable and it's $600 before shipping??  Jeez.  They aren't shy are they?  Man, I thought these were in the $300-$400 range?  Was there a big price increase or something?
You may want to check out this thread.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=44657.0

I can't remember the exact price but several years ago they gave 10% off for CVO membership and also 10% for police/fire/paramedic/military. May want to call instead of ordering on line.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 09:28:46 PM »

Holy cow, I just put the chrome lights with the stock 30w bulbs with the stainless cable and it's $600 before shipping??  Jeez.  They aren't shy are they?  Man, I thought these were in the $300-$400 range?  Was there a big price increase or something?
I live in Ohio where they're from. Tack on some sales tax to go with it. :'(  I said the hell with them and made my own for about $150. Dyna turn signal housings, an extra swivel bracket for them and the lights and sockets from superbrights.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.