Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Maybe I need new Ears?  (Read 4111 times)

Soot

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5- Road King in Crushed Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Typhoon (blew in and blew out)
Maybe I need new Ears?
« on: August 12, 2013, 10:11:39 AM »

First off.....I love the ride of my new SERK. That being said, I am wondering if I need to get my hearing checked or whether there is an issue with my iPod volume (bike) control?

When the bike is off I can crank the volume to the point that it would blow the roof off my garage. The sound is crystal clean at any volume. Lately I've noticed that at highway speeds 55-65 mph, it appears that I can't get any more volume. I hold the volume control up and it's like it has reached its limit and won't crank the sound up any higher!! Am I imagining things; do I need a new set of ears; or has anyone else experienced this? Feel free to chime in!   :nixweiss:

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Maybe I need new Ears?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 10:48:21 AM »

I am not an audio expert but my guess would be a combination of factors working against good music sound.
Increased ambient noise from motor and the exhaust running at 55-65 compared to off in the garage. Then the music sound waves being diverted by the rushing wind as you move. Then you have wind rushing by your ears even with a helmet (What type of helmet do you use if any?). Also do you have a windshield on your SERK? The sound deflection could be changed some by using a different size of windshield that creates still air between you and the speakers.
Good luck with finding the right solution for you.

skboy

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 Street Glide
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 01:35:04 PM »

Truth be told the, the factory HD stuff is less than ideal. Sorry for the disappointment.
Some people go to church on sundays, I ride motorcycles.

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 02:12:18 PM »

Check your iPod settings. Volume all the way up and locked?

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 04:15:07 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Also what are you running the nano, I-phone or other audio device. 

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 08:26:55 PM »

At the risk of sounding like a technotard, how do you lock the volume?  Still waiting on my owners manual ( bike came fr another dealer)!

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 08:27:47 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Also what are you running the nano, I-phone or other audio device. 

Just the nano Greg!  :nixweiss:

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 09:28:17 PM »

At the risk of sounding like a technotard, how do you lock the volume?  Still waiting on my owners manual ( bike came fr another dealer)!

On nano go to settings: by swipping all the way to the right. Open by tapping the settings icon then scroll to music and tap it go to volume limit
and make sure the blue bar is all the way to the right and push the lock volume limit.

You can also make the EQ to sound in many different genres. 

Just play with it. It has many things to play with and you wont hurt nothing. 

Again make sure you have it synced with I-tunes dont really know why but it does say to do so.

Hope this helps.

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 11:41:34 PM »

Thanks man, much appreciated! Ride safe!

Soot

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 12:42:01 AM »

Technotard, love it, learned a new word today thanks. :huepfenlol2:

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 11:47:34 AM »

:coolblue:

Jerry/MD

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 09:42:50 PM »

Are you experiencing less than expected volume from the saddlebag speakers?

Jerry

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 10:49:47 PM »

It's actually like I've maxed out the volume control and it just stops getting louder. The saddlebag speakers could be less than expected perhaps. What are you thinking?

Soot

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 12:43:54 AM »

Seems like it would not be an ipod setting if you get good volume in the garage.  I have never touched any volume controls on my ipod, and I have huge volume - at any speed.  I have even worn a full face helmet with earplugs, and I could hear my speakers perfectly well with the head unit volume at about 50%.

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 10:58:24 AM »

Followed Bucknut's suggestion and went into settings on the iPod and locked it at max vol. Will see in the next few days if that did the trick. Otherwise I've got awesome sound when I'm working/detailing the bike in the garage...lol!

110th is only 2 weeks away.....looking forward to seeing Aerosmith, Doobie Bros and ZZTop. Saw Kid Rock at the 105th and outside of a few big hits...no biggy! I think MOCO would have been further ahead to get John Mellankamp or the Stones as one of their headliners. JMHO!  :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

ultrarider123

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 12:01:37 PM »

Hey Michael, I'm not as familier with the SERK sound system set-up but I do know there isn't a display as with the HK head unit on the SG/RG/Ultra.  Is there anyway to adjust the AVC (or is there no AVC option with the new RK?).  That's the Automatic Volume Control that gets louder when your speed increases and can be adjusted with the HK controls....just punching the bag around to see what else it may be if Greg's suggestion of locking Vol. on the Nano doesn't work.  Maybe check the owners manual when you get it (or another member can clarify)
Of course, if there isn't a AVC option on the RK, that would throw my theory out.... ;D

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 01:25:42 PM »

Hey Michael, I'm not as familier with the SERK sound system set-up but I do know there isn't a display as with the HK head unit on the SG/RG/Ultra.  Is there anyway to adjust the AVC (or is there no AVC option with the new RK?).  That's the Automatic Volume Control that gets louder when your speed increases and can be adjusted with the HK controls....just punching the bag around to see what else it may be if Greg's suggestion of locking Vol. on the Nano doesn't work.  Maybe check the owners manual when you get it (or another member can clarify)
Of course, if there isn't a AVC option on the RK, that would throw my theory out.... ;D

Don't think there is an AVC on the RK Howard. Mind you, i'm still operating in the dark as the owners' manuals are on back order. Are you going to the 110th?

ultrarider123

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 01:34:08 PM »

How in the wide world of sports can an owners manual be back ordered?  Guess the guy in China that prints them is on vacation.... :nixweiss:   :huepfenlol2:

As for the 110th, nope, stayin' home for that.  Used quite a bit of vacation for the SD run and need to let it build up again.  May make Maggie Valley in September for a day or so but nothing long distance for a bit.  I'm blessed I have a great job but sure does get in the way of the ridin'.... :2vrolijk_21:

HDOrange

• 2012 SECU7
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 02:23:21 PM »

If you have an HK Radio it needs to be reset to factory settings. I've had to do my 2010 ultra limited and a friends 2013 limited. Its real simple. 1. Hold down the 4 and 5 soft key on the radio with the key off. 2. Then turn the key on and press the 1 soft key, this resets the radio and you won't believe the difference in volume. A HD Tec in Tennessee taught me this seceret that I gladly share. Hope this helps.  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:
Mike

ultrarider123

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 02:53:59 PM »

If you have an HK Radio it needs to be reset to factory settings. I've had to do my 2010 ultra limited and a friends 2013 limited. Its real simple. 1. Hold down the 4 and 5 soft key on the radio with the key off. 2. Then turn the key on and press the 1 soft key, this resets the radio and you won't believe the difference in volume. A HD Tec in Tennessee taught me this seceret that I gladly share. Hope this helps.  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

Soot was speaking about his new CVO Road King and those models don't have the HK head unit as the SG/RG/Ultra models.  They actually don't have any display to speak of.  Good instructions for resetting the HK head unit, however, if mine on the SG ever craps out... :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.