Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HD Air Wing Light for the Tour Pack  (Read 4901 times)

RShomo

• CVO1: 2012 Black/Orange CVO Ultra Classic
HD Air Wing Light for the Tour Pack
« on: August 29, 2013, 08:43:14 AM »

Hey Guys, 
  I purchased the HD Air Wing Light to the Tour Pack Rack. It comes with Tee wiring connector harness to plug into the bike.  I installed the light on the rack, run the wires but cannot find the connector that is supposed to be for the tail light that matches the Tee wire connector harness that came with the light.  The Tail light connector on top of the battery does not match the one the came with the light.
  My bike is a 2012 CVO Ultra Classic.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated to avoid going to the dealer and paying thru the nose just to hook up a connector.

RShomo
RShomo
2012 FLHTSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond
4" Rinehart True Duals; SE Tuner
DayMaker Headlight/Driving Lights
Custom Dynamics Blinkers,Tail Lights

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: HD Air Wing Light for the Tour Pack
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 09:22:33 AM »

You did not list the part # so here is where others are wired in may or may not be what you need.

You want to look for an orange 4 pin connector that should be in front of the battery. This is the Accessory Connector.

jim@hdbomm.com
Ride It Like You Are Retired

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 09:51:08 AM »

You did not list the part # so here is where others are wired in may or may not be what you need.

You want to look for an orange 4 pin connector that should be in front of the battery. This is the Accessory Connector.

jim@hdbomm.com

Yep... I had to tie it into the accessory connector under the seat on the '12 Tri Glide I no longer have. But it's near me, and I even get to ride it from time to time!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

ozrider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 10:47:32 AM »

I fitted one a couple weeks ago to a 2012 Ultra.

There is two patch leads come with the kit, one long single lead, and a short Y lead.

I used the short Y lead and that hooks in to the king tour box LED tail/stop light wiring.
The connection was inside, front left of the top box a couple of inches from the entry hole.
It simply plugs into the supply to the LED bar then the bar and wing light plugs into the Y lead tails.

Fitting instructions said you only need to use the long patch to plug in down below if the LED tail/stop bar isn't fitted

Simple as lifting the bottom lining and following the light bar wiring back to it's connector.

Win Lotto, Go back to Sturgis,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Never go home!

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 07:22:46 PM »

I added the light to my 2012 Ultra CVO.  I followed the instructions and had no issue.  The connector in in the tour pak on the left hand side (hinge side).  Pull out the bottom liner and follow the wires along the left side.  The instructions for connecting under the seat relate to different models without tour pak lights factory installed.
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 09:13:47 AM »

I just installed one on my '13 Ultra, can't imagine it would be much different. Use the "Y" connector, it is essentially a splice to the tour pack lights. No need to go all the way to the battery. Locate the 3 pin connector near the front of the tour pak on the hinge side. You unplug the existing connector, install the "Y" and re-connect the existing wire to one leg of the "Y". The other leg is for the lead coming from the Air Wing light. You have to build up the connector on the air wing lead once the wire is routed into the tour pak. That was the trickiest part of the installation and requires a special crimping tool for the pins. No need to spend the outrageous amount of money HD asks for a Deutsch crimper, you can use a D-sub crimper for these. You can pick up a D-sub crimping tool at Radio Shack for about $10. You might want to pick up a strip of pins to practice the crimp on if you've never used one before. Be careful not to crush the hump on the pins that came with the kit, that is what holds them in the connector. Once the crimping is done and the pins installed in the proper cavities of the connector housing just plug the new connector into the remaining leg of the "Y" harness, secure your wiring and your good to go. Good luck!

RShomo

• CVO1: 2012 Black/Orange CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 11:30:48 PM »

Thanks guys,
 I haven't had a chance to finish the project, had to go to work.  Will work on the getting it connected when I get back.
  R.Shomo
RShomo
2012 FLHTSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond
4" Rinehart True Duals; SE Tuner
DayMaker Headlight/Driving Lights
Custom Dynamics Blinkers,Tail Lights

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 11:57:54 AM »

Can someone post a pic of the rack and light please.

ozrider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 01:12:38 PM »

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 01:22:09 PM by ozrider »

Win Lotto, Go back to Sturgis,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Never go home!

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 02:27:18 PM »

Thanks, that looks real good. Well lit up in the back now. :2vrolijk_21:

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 09:20:22 AM »

I am adding  a Tour Pack to my 2013 SERK in the newar future then I wll probably add an air wing rack to that. I currently have the Badlands module on my bike that strobes the rear brake lights and would love to be able to tie in an airwing LED light so that it strobes just like the stock brake lights. Has anyone on here done this? Of course I won't have a connection in the tour pak since the bike does not come with one. I already have a heated deat tied into the accessory connection under the seat and plan on hooking up a heated backrest into the accessory connection also, so I do not want to put anything else on this accessory connection. Any ideas on the easiest way to accomplish this? I also will want to be able to unhokk it fairly easily because I will want the tour pak to remain easilt detachable.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.